Guest / Limited Access /

Angus T. Jones, the star of "Two and a Half Men" and a recent convert to Seventh-day Adventism, raised eyebrows last week when a testimony video surfaced in which the 19-year-old denounced his notoriously raunchy TV comedy as "filth" ...

Robert Navarro

December 12, 2012  11:41am

If I read this correctly, Professor Vlof's comment states converts should not. But his theology must be liberal as Jesus himself said to go out and preach the gospel...etc. Jesus did not put a timeline for going out to Jerusalem, Samaria, etc. Maybe the good professor should check to see what he is really professing.

Claire Guest

December 10, 2012  4:25pm

As I understand it (having read this at AOL's news service), he has been fired from the show. I'm sure he realized that was a very real possibility when he spoke out about the depravity depicted and glorified on the show.

Elizabeth Levesque

December 10, 2012  12:49pm

This kid is great. Now all he has to do is leave the filthy show he admits is filthy and find something cleaner to do with his life.

Annette Lengyel

December 08, 2012  9:52pm

There is something beautifully refreshing about the sincerity of a young man with new-found faith who speaks from his heart and just represents. I love what he did. It was bold and honest and unspoiled by musty church-speak. Being real is what speaks to youth (or to any of us who have been stung by the hypocrisy of western christianity in our cynical culture). Good for him!

Jim Ricker

December 08, 2012  6:27pm

@ Kathy, Grace and Peace to you tonight! Angus' desire to speak is admirable yes, but his proclamation brought more harm than good. We are told to be wise and live at peace as long as can do so. Angus had choices to make and he made the wrong one by slamming his employer. If he had quit the show (and told them why) and then said what he did, it would have not been a public bout of hypocrisy. Zeal is wonderful but zeal without wisdom is fruitless.

kathy rozga

December 08, 2012  8:07am

I understand the comments about waiting and seeking council, however, I commend this young man for coming forth and witnessing to the world. I've prayed for him many times, knowing how vulnerable he has been as a child in a tv program that shows so much perversion. Thank you for speaking out about your conversion and advising people to no longer watch this show. I'll continue to pray for him: that he continues to grow in Christ and that he will turn his back on temptation of evil. We would all do well to pray for him rather than criticize his decisions.

Jim Ricker

December 07, 2012  8:59pm

Why are high-profile celebrities either hammered for their foolish comments or are given a pass for those same comments? Because with greater opportunity comes greater responsibility (certainly a biblical teaching that even made it into a parable of our King). Angus should share Jesus with others but because he has more responsibility due to his high-profile status (as a preacher, teacher or politician), he needs to be prudent and loving and that generally requires someone to contemplate (which takes time). Wisdom and discernment are needed in that situation and Angus displayed neither of those traits. If I was suddenly saved and I then decided to call what I have been part of (and still am collecting a check from) filth, Jesus is not glorified and I have tarnished His great name by being a hypocrite. We all know that he should have stepped back graciously before speaking about why he could no longer do the job and we all know he should not have thrown rocks while still in the house.

Jon Trott

December 07, 2012  7:29pm

"I don't think high-profile converts should necessarily wait to publicly share their conversions. But they should not rush with statements about the implications of their conversions for their public roles. They should bear witness to what they personally have found in Jesus Christ, but they may wait just a bit to tell the world how they think Christ relates to all spheres of our lives—including the sphere in which they are famous." Miroslav Volf, professor, Yale Divinity School [I liked Prof. Volf's comment so much I thought it bore repeating.]

HAROLD CAMERON

December 07, 2012  3:42pm

Yes, "high profile" Christians should publicly share their faith just as much as the anyone else who professes to believe in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. But, if they are going to profess faith in Christ their life should match up with their confession...and I am not referring to perfection, however, if their life does not then they are better to remain silent and seek the help of the Lord, his Word as well as their pastor and church for help with whatever sin issues they have in their lives. Once the issue or issues are resolved and they are living obediently for the Lord they should then publicly share their faith. We have permission to do so from our Lord as well as a commission to do so and it is a grievous sin to not confess the Lord of the faith we possess. (Matthew 28:19) And Jesus stated "For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words, of him will the Son of Man be ashamed when he comes in his glory and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels." Luke 9:26.

JANIS VITOLINS

December 07, 2012  3:28pm

Christ comes to Angus. Angus accepts, repents and witnesses to the world. That is all he did. Now he is criticized for being too young, being a celebrity, being too anxious to express his love for Jesus. In short, he isn't acting the way a "real" Christian should. We Christians so often end up eating our own.

Robert Tamasy

December 07, 2012  3:12pm

Too often we are eager to trot out celebrity converts, whether athletes or entertainers, as if they give Jesus Christ more credibility both to the saved and unsaved. Jesus needs no help with His credibility. Worst of all, these "babes in Christ" have not had sufficient time to grow in their faith to the point where they can not only talk the talk, but also walk the walk. Sadly, often these "stars" sound like they are writing from 1 and 2 Opinions, with little foundation for effectively articulating what they believe. And worse, when the "conversion" proves temporary - Bob Dylan, for example - or when high-profile individuals professing Jesus stumble into various degrees of public sin, the cause of Christ is not aided. Colossians 2:7 talks of being "built up and firmly established" in faith. Why should celebrities be an exception to this, just because of their notoriety?

Claire Guest

December 05, 2012  3:58pm

Steve Skeete, I personally found Angus Jones' comments regarding the TV show to be very refreshing - I think it's a great thing that he spoke out to teens who may not have really thought about that issue before. It seems very likely to me that Jones felt he had a responsibility to speak out. Very few people in Hollywood (including Christians) dare to speak out about such things. You say that ALL converts should wait to publicly share their conversion, but I don't see Scriptural support for that opinion - actually, just the opposite.

Steve Skeete

December 05, 2012  1:20pm

'High profile converts' should wait to publicly share their conversion. So should all other converts. When someone commits to believing in and follow Christ that person should first communicate that commitment to those close to them. However, as the person grows in 'grace and in knowledge', and as they live the faith they believe, opportunities to share the gospel will abound. The next step would be to share their faith in Christ among believers for encouragement and strengthening before considering going public. I am assuming of course that by public the article is referring to radio, TV, and gatherings of a non-spiritual nature. I am basing my remarks on the fact that a new Christian is a "babe" no matter how 'profiled', and there is a lot we do not know when we are babes. Another reason is that when these 'high profile' believers fall, the sound of their crash reverberates around the world, unlike the 'least among us'. Humility should be the preferred virtue for the 'profiled'.

Claire Guest

December 05, 2012  9:29am

Pop Seal, I've agreed with some of your comments re: other articles, but I disagree with you that we should have a cynical attitude toward celebrities who become Christians and share their faith, assuming the worst about them. The definition of real love, as given in I Corinthians 13, tells us to do just the opposite. Helmut Egesa Wagabi, ITA with your comment and find it very refreshing. Same for Marianne Miller's comment: "When or how a celebrity, or ANY person, publicly relates a conversion to Christ is totally up to that person. Hopefully, other Christians will not pressure such a person either way, only offer support and love."

Pop Seal

December 05, 2012  6:36am

Celebrity converts should always be suspect until they lose some money or career status due to their experience....until then I suspect a publicity stunt. How many people use Christianity or the church for personal profit? Test the spirits...prove all things...You'll know them by their fruits...so Christians, stop grasping at straws for acceptance in this fallen world.

Helmut Egesa Wagabi

December 05, 2012  3:17am

Conversion results from a conviction that one has been living in the dark and now the light of Christ has dawned upon them. Therefore, let them speak what is in their hearts without fear of anything.

Dee McDonald

December 04, 2012  10:34pm

Good point Janis Schofield. I don't think that we should expect people to keep silent about their faith just because they are famous. Perhaps the biggest problem, however, is not the celebrity professing his or her faith to the masses, but as Austin Miles' example showed, the problem is with Christians trying to prop them up when they have yet to be discipled (such as the case with Jones). It can do a lot of damage to them and the gospel when our expectations are too high for that person.

Janis Schofield

December 04, 2012  7:22pm

Jesus did say to be "cautious as snakes, gentle as doves" , so I think that is clear about sharing the Gospel, but I cannot think of an incident, either by Paul, or any other person who was touched by Jesus, where they hesitated to speak about their experience with the Lord.

Marianne Miller

December 04, 2012  3:25pm

M Rinn

December 04, 2012  3:22pm

I have to admit that I had a bit of a chuckle when this came out - I'm not one to jump to censor television as a whole, although I do self-censor and I've always had an innate dislike for the show in question. However, I agree that this kind of public excoriation should probably be undertaken in a bit more constructive manner. Upon hearing this story, a somewhat-more-cynical friend said, "Just wait until the paychecks stop and see what young Mr. Jones says then." I see that the young man has issued an apology and somewhat-more reflective response since the "rant" originally appeared.

Austin Miles

December 04, 2012  2:15pm

Please, when a celebrity or any high-profile individual comes to Jesus do NOT immediately thrust them in the spotlight. Let a responsible pastor mentor the convert and give a realistic overview of what to expect. It happened to me. At the time I appeared in films and TV and a well known circus Ringmaster. I was rushed through, given churches to speak in and every Christian TV program. And I got slaughtered by Christians. So much so that I left the ministry, denounced the church, and wanted to warn everybody to stay clear of Christianity. I had not been prepared for this kind of thing. And let it be noted that there was absolutely no moral failure or misuse of Scriptures. But the rumors spread by vicious Christians about me...false witnesses...were astonishing! When I finally came back I realized that my problem was not with God, but His so-called people! Prepare a new convert properly and responsibly. After mentoring let his testimony be given, then preaching. Rev. Austin Miles

Sherwood MacRae

December 04, 2012  1:28pm

I have no problem with "celebrities" embracing the cause of Christ and I will add my prayer to others that it is real. Most of us who have experienced the joy of serving our Lord know that - far too often, the "stars" are prone to slip away and forget their initial enthusiasm. More often, the latter is prompted by those who want to receive "credit" for "leading" others to Christ. That is - in my opinion, the tragedy of the Christian church in these times. We allow ourselves to join in with the "head hunters" among us who are prone to boast of their efforts and have no apologies for those who walk away, more often than not bewildered by the experience. It is time - way past time, in my opinion, to get as real about our faith as we see being practiced by others who have chosen another belief system.

View this article in Reader Mode