Guest / Limited Access /

In the afternoon of his 39th birthday, less than a year after his wedding day, poet Christian Wiman was diagnosed with an incurable cancer of the blood. Wiman, who announced Wednesday that he will step down in June as editor of Poetry magazine, the ...

Marilyn Foley

January 08, 2013  8:24pm

Thanks for this wonderful article. I would have been interested to hear how Wiman's colleagues reacted to the revival of his religious belief. My experience is that intellectuals are often openly hostile to religion. Yes, his piece in the American Scholar was well received, but is that the whole story? It would be wonderful if it were, but I have my doubts.

Mark Sells

January 08, 2013  7:32pm

In the interview, Wiman says "Poetry is a much more powerful experience for me than prayer, but I feel this to be a weakness in me. I'm still just learning how to pray." Wayne, he acknowledges his limitations here and at another point when he talks of the necessity of submitting to God in every cell of our being and of still suffering himself from satanic pride. You seem to be suffering yourself from a lack of generosity. You also seem to be looking for a stick with which to beat Christianity Today. Here the stick you use is actually a moving account of a man who speaks of the irresistible call of God. You're worried about his lack of maturity. I'm worried about yours.

Wayne Brindle

January 06, 2013  12:00am

So in a lengthy interview Mr. Wiman says he needs to grow in faith and discipleship, but never once mentions the Word of God, quotes only theologians and literati, and thinks poetry is more powerful than prayer. Perhaps CT should hold off on this interview until he actually begins to grow in Christ. Let him do some genuine biblical reading. Get to know the Apostle Paul and grasp his take on faith and spiritual thought. Forget the mystics and the theologians until you begin to know Christ and His Word. With this interview, CT completes its return to the secularism from which it sprang sixty years ago.

maggie bruehl

January 05, 2013  4:29pm

What a way to snap to attention! I was curious if the cancer was Multiple Myeloma, which is considered incurable, mainly hits men and has been one of my personal inspirations as I've battled it for 6 years. There is great hope, not in it being cured, but in living with it dependent on God's grace and timing in our lives. I'm glad that it has caused him to look at the world differently as it has me, and look forward to reading his poetry.

chris turner

January 04, 2013  6:41pm

Great comments Jerome and Rick. God loves it when we exhaust ourselves in His presence...yes what patience! Love the Zossima reference, too. Dostoyevsky peals back the bare truth with this guy. Powerful read.

Jerome Ellard

January 04, 2013  10:05am

I got at least two things from Christian's interview: - how powerful our experiences can be in clarifying our relationship with God (love and cancer, in his case) and - how patient God is with us all.

Rick Dalbey

January 03, 2013  1:48pm

Gee willikers. I have always loved Poetry Magazine. It is one of my guilty pleasures. I would encourage Christian Wiman to not linger around the door, but to walk right in and begin to explore the Kingdom of God. It's a big country with a lot to experience.