Guest / Limited Access /

Allegations of extravagant living among Nigeria's Pentecostal preachers have deepened following the gift of a private jet to the president of the Christian Association of Nigeria.

The multi-million dollar jet—a 10-seater with a range of ...

yvette moore

January 04, 2013  9:00pm

Private jets for preachers. Pray tell, where'd they get that idea?

Steve Skeete

December 16, 2012  7:07pm

The problem in Nigeria, and other places, is that people follow those leaders who tell them exactly what they want to hear, 'itching ears' the Bible calls it, and they are really not much interested in the truth. If the figure of 70% poverty in Nigeria is true, any servant of Jesus Christ would have a difficult task justifying ownership of a private jet to any but a bunch of brain-washed believers. Modesty and humility ought to be the watchwords of true ministers of the gospel. The task of the one who ministers on behalf of Jesus Christ is to 'feed' not 'fleece' the sheep. Ministers must elevate and motivate members of the church not accumulate large fortunes, not even in the oil-rich Nigerian delta. I see nothing in the N.T. that would convince me that mansions, limousines and jets should be normative for Christian pastors. This ostentation is incompatible with the simplicity that Jesus lived and taught. I would be happy for someone, using the bible, to prove me wrong on this one.

Claire Guest

December 15, 2012  8:50pm

Wayne, I did ask about Cessna planes on the list you posted (the Cessnas I know about are small planes), but you didn't answer my question. I'm not sure who you think is "more concerned with a Nigerian having a jet than an American", but that does not apply to me. As for why CT posted this article - you'd have to ask them. I have no idea.

Wayne Froese

December 15, 2012  4:40pm

Earlier I added my link and quoted the page with no commentary. All I was asked was if Cessna actually made jets. I wonder why CT and CT readers are more concerned with a Nigerian having a jet than an American?

Dave B.

December 15, 2012  3:47pm

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME! This is the result of the prosperity gospel! "Prosperity Gospelers" use one or two scriptures that 'show' that God wants us to be financially rich. Nothing is wrong with wealth itself, but every every scripture that talks about 'getting rich', there are at least 10 that talks about the need to set our sight on things above, not on earth. Christ was born in a manger - ughh (poor, smelly place, I think). He emphasized the need to trust God each step of the way - NOT to be pampered! Unfortunately, it mostly Pentecostal preachers that are guilty of prosperity gospel evangelism. So sad... especially when there is so much poverty around!

Richard Cameron

December 15, 2012  7:58am

When any preacher's schedule is so complicated that he feels he needs a private jet then then the answer is to simplify his schedule - not buy a jet. No preacher is that important. Empower other people on the ground (sorry!) and God will use them too.

Claire Guest

December 14, 2012  10:42pm

Ben, did you see Adetola Motunrayo's comments, which were posted several days ago? (You'd have to click on the red link below the comments which are visible in order to see them.) Motunrayo is from that part of the world and gives firsthand insight.

Ben Schettler

December 14, 2012  5:29pm

Should a primarily American periodical be throwing stones at Nigerian purchases? If most of the population of Nigeria lives on only one dollar a day, should any of us ever purchase Starbucks or go to movies? Those purchases are alone excessive when you think that a single coffee drink could represent five days of a families expenditures. These articles put our focus in the wrong place. We should be thinking about our own excesses instead of pointing out others. In fact a reasonably priced plane may be a needed ministry item for some of these leaders.

Claire Guest

December 13, 2012  8:36pm

Is a Cessna plane a jet? The Cessnas I'm familiar with are small planes. It seems at least half the planes on that list are Cessnas.

Wayne Froese

December 12, 2012  8:54pm

http://www.worldmag.com/2008/07/what_would_jesus_fly/page2 Below is a sampling of Christian ministries and the luxury jets they own, compiled from some of these sites. For the truly intrepid, type the tail number into an internet search engine, and you can learn even more about the planes and where they've been. Organization: Type of Aircraft (Tail Number) Agape Church: Cessna 500 (N700VC) Creflo Dollar/World Changers Church: Learjet 25B (N65A) Dave Roever/Roever Evangelistic Assocation: Learjet 25D (N43DR) Eagle Mountain Int'l Church: Cessna 500 N501KG; Cessna 550 (N888H)S; Cessna 750 (N1962J) Fred Price/Crenshaw Christian Center: Grumman G-1159 (N132FP) From the Heart Church Ministries: Gulfstream G-1159A (N357PR) Greg Powe Ministries: Rockwell NA-265-60 (N141SL) Jerry Savelle Ministries: Cessna 500 (N715JS) Jesse Duplantis Ministries: Dassault Falcon 50 (N770JD) John Hagee Ministries: Cessna 650 (N800GM) Joyce Meyer Ministries: Canadair CL-600 (N7JM)...no room for full list.

Barnabas Yohanna

December 12, 2012  10:35am

Please do not criticize these preachers with private jets in Nigeria unless you live in this part of the world and have done twice what they have done for God's kingdom. I live in Nigeria and believe me when I tell you that air travel in Nigeria is VERY FRUSTRATING and at times non existent, with flight cancellations the norm here. No one with the schedule of these particular preachers will depend on the Nigerian aviation industry to do all they have to do. Being in this part of the world also affords you the opportunity to see so much jealousy from some of the preachers and people who criticize these private jet owners. Many times I have stayed all day in the busiest airport in Nigeria (Lagos) trying to catch just one flight to the North that never came and there was no refund at the end of the day. How many days will someone like Oyedepo with over 3,000 branch churches and so many other ministries have to wait to be able to do all he has to do in these branches and ministries

Gerald Goffin

December 12, 2012  5:47am

"You hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of your own eye; and then shall you see clearly to cast out the mote out of your brother's eye"--- perhaps impractical advice to implement, but provides an accurate perspective for us here in the U.S. as we examine the eyes of our Nigerian pastors.

Adetola Motunrayo

December 11, 2012  6:33am

Thanks my brothers + (Darrell Hart), I made my comment only because I am from his part of the world and have known a lot about all these jet acquiring preachers including their very "busy schedules" for a very long time. The thing is that Robin Hood did a better job, he at least took only from the rich while these guys fleece even the poor. They have established Universities that only children of the rich can attend and many pastors in their organisation cannot send their own kids to those school ... the early believers we are told had all things in common and the cause of Christ was advanced.

Darrell Hart

December 11, 2012  4:16am

Thank you, Adetola Motunrayo, and others, for your comments. I am NOT defending the Prosperity Gospel!! I don't know about people with complicated schedules. I think God can, and probably does, use such people. Whether his is using this particular group of jet owners. . . . . .and I have no idea why one person needs four Gulfstreams and a Learjet!

Edmund Chan

December 10, 2012  11:23pm

Of course, we shouldn't "condemn too readily and thoughtlessly" against Christian leaders owning private jets. Nonetheless, the justification for it intrigued me. In effect, the press conference justification is this- "we have such COMPLICATED schedules that we NEED it!"... and that this is one of the reason why "A LOT of these other preachers have planes." Really?? Perhaps the schedule is quite simply more COMPLICATED than God intends.... .... and just for the record, a LOT of meaningfully busy, world-class preachers DO NOT have private jets.

Dee McDonald

December 10, 2012  8:49pm

There really isn't much to say about these people except that they, and those like them around the rest of the world, deceive and take people's money for their own personal wealth/life of luxury. For the ministry! Yeah right! They are no different than any other crooked and greedy CEO around the world whose god is money. People often say we should not judge/condemn them. I'm not sure about that. They claim to follow a Savior that died for, dedicated his life to, and served others. I'm pretty sure these 'preachers" and their lives of extravagance, where people serve them, are very different than what I know about Jesus. Should we judge? Well, they make it pretty easy to do so when many of the people they take money from are extremely poor.

Adetola Motunrayo

December 10, 2012  8:44pm

I am surprised he waited this long to get his airplane. Wonky hermeneutics peddled by pentecostal ministers like him is very profitable. Once heard him preach on Luke 1:26 and because it was in June, he went on for 2 hours emphasising that the angel visited Elizabeth in the 6th month and many in the congregation will get their material blessing in the 6th month (June) by pledging $5000, and then went as low as $250... and many actually believed this and came forward pledging and giving. As long as material blessing continues to be preached as the (main) benefit of the salvation that Jesus accomplished, many will continue to be deceived by this junk imitation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Biblical literacy by the teeming body of Christians in the developing world is the only antidote.

Darrell Hart

December 10, 2012  5:57pm

Well, of course it sets a bad example. No argument there. But before we condemn too eagerly and thoughtlessly, remember that air travel is readily available, and inexpensive, in the US, but not everywhere

Ed mac

December 10, 2012  5:53pm

Will Christians finally get wise to these people. Remember Jesus turned over the tables of the money changers and whipped them. How can these people say you should be rich, when people are hungry. I think they are Not acting as Christians. In the us it is horrible how they fleece people for money. I suppose it is the fault of people for letting it happen. It says in the last days, there will be people listening to false teaching and falling for it. How about taking the multiple millions these people bilk from the people and actually, use it to feed the poor, do a good work and love those in need. It is ashamed for supposed Christian teachers to make money from those who can't afford it.

Calvin Sun

December 10, 2012  4:46pm

I am sure yachts are their next purchases. I mean who would be able to minister to the pirates unless you have a yacht???

RON NUSSLI

December 10, 2012  2:59pm

Interesting! Hard to tell what impact the availability of jets has on the message of the gospel throughout the region. It would be wise for leaders there with this kind of access to communicate the benefits to the region. What would be equally if not more interesting is to hear more about the availability of similar transportation among Christian works here in the USA and views by leadership and membership regarding benefits.

Elizabeth Levesque

December 10, 2012  12:25pm

Disgusting show of arrogance, pride and greed while the common people of Nigeria are dirt poor. This is why Christ's name is a name of derision, scorn and mockery in this world. From greedy pastors like this and others. I roundly condemn this. Live like your parishioners! Stop the filthy sinful greed!