Guest / Limited Access /

A voice was heard in Ramah,
weeping and loud lamentation,
Rachel weeping for her children;
she refused to be comforted,
because they are no more." (Matt. 2:18, ESV)

We live in a world where Rachel weeps for her children. Where mothers wail and fathers ...

Displaying 1–20 of 143 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  8 next page

Paul Schryba

December 24, 2012  6:22am

Claire: Since I have a need to spell things out, I want to make sure that you understand the thanks for particpating in these posts and the wish for a Merry Christmas of course specifically includes YOU.

Claire Guest

December 23, 2012  9:10pm

Paul, are you opposed to our president (veep and others too) having armed guards protecting him everywhere he goes? Are you opposed to armed security guards at banks? Malls? These questions have been raised elsewhere and I think they're totally valid. Although I have answered your first question numerous times, in response to your many continued questions and comments, you still haven't addressed my answer to your second question.

Paul Schryba

December 23, 2012  8:42pm

Claire: I am praying for you and have contacted CT about your postings. You are an extremely clever person; you have wonderful passion and valid concerns.

Claire Guest

December 23, 2012  2:50pm

This may be OT, but it has occurred to me that, although a number of funerals have been held in churches, I haven't heard anything about giving Nancy Lanza the benefit of doubt (obviously, she didn't feel threatened by Adam, and I haven't heard any concrete evidence that he had a bona fide mental illness). Nor have I heard a word about forgiveness, which seems to be completely off the radar.

Claire Guest

December 23, 2012  2:45pm

Paul, your latest response PROVES you did not read the post I referred to earlier. I did address those very things (gun licensing and restrictions) in that post. I did not say that money is more precious TO YOU SPECIFICALLY than our schoolchildren - I *did* say, "[E]vidently our money is more precious than our schoolchildren" BECAUSE I haven't heard one person who is AGAINST having armed security guards in schools complain about having armed guards on duty in banks. And, YES, it is true that the policewoman in CO prevented a massacre. RE: Wasted money in general - Obama has incurred TRILLIONS of dollars in national debt, he wants to keep spending AND spending AND spending with no end in sight. LOTS of waste could go toward feeding the poor, Paul. Maybe this is why Christ Jesus said the poor would always be with us. However, I do know that MANY Christian organizations and individuals are indeed giving and giving and giving, and not only at Christmastime. God bless you too.

Claire Guest

December 23, 2012  2:44pm

P.S. to Paul: Since CT has some of the strictest gun control laws in the nation, it is clear that gun control laws in themselves cannot prevent such tragedies. When a school (or any other place) is a designated Gun Free Zone, the people there are sitting ducks for deranged guys. Sad, but true.

Paul Schryba

December 23, 2012  8:22am

Claire: Bless you child of God! I ask you what you believe about gun licensing and restrictions- you make no mention at all of gun licensing and restrictions, but armed guards and police. I mention the millions dying from poverty and lack of financial resources and how much we as a nation spend on guns, and you imply that "...money is more precious [to me] than our schoolchildren". Prayer is needed here in general, and for me in my own faults and failings. I have learned a lot through these postings: I need to practice what I preach about not returning 'evil for evil' and that I need to depend less on my own knowledge and wisdom, and to be more still and to trust in God's promptings in my responses. God bless you all, thank you for your sharings, and Merry Christmas!

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  11:03pm

Paul, did you READ what I said about that yesterday? I get the impression that you did not. I do not have a problem with each school having a trained armed security guard on duty - I see them at banks every day. You want to talk about money - evidently our money is more precious than our schoolchildren. I haven't seen you complain about armed guards at banks. Do you remember the potential massacre which was prevented in a Colorado church a couple years ago because an armed policewoman was in the congregation? HER gun did NOT support death, but LIFE! A LOT of people are alive today because she was there. How many of Newtown's children (AND teachers, AND principal) might be alive TODAY if an armed security guard had been at the Sandy Hook Elementary School?

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  10:54pm

Paul, do you believe that God is calling us to de-criminalize any OTHER form of murder (as happened with abortion)? And do you believe that God called the Supreme Court to de-criminalize the form of murder we call abortion?

Paul Schryba

December 22, 2012  10:54pm

"Every year, 8 million people die because they’re too poor to stay alive.... Half the world lives on less than $2 a day-30,000 children die every day due to poverty- 2 billion have no access to electricity- 20% of people in the highest-income countries consume 86% of the world’s resources. The poorest 20% account for a minuscule 1.3%." [http://www.un.org/summit/poverty.html] "This year, the NRA spent $17 million on federal elections. It's a considerable amount when compared to the size of the industry. Annual gun sales in the U.S. total about $3.5 billion, according to estimates from Wedbush Securities analyst Rommel Dionisio." [http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/economy/gun-lobby-nra-connecticut/ind ex.html] The annual NRA budget is over $220 million per year. Soros spending is scandalous, so large, but guns directly support a culture of violence and death.

Paul Schryba

December 22, 2012  10:40pm

So lets take this one part at a time: Paul "Do you believe God is calling for us to reduce restrictions on gun ownership and availability in response to this particular shooting incident?" Claire: "If you read my earlier post about this very thing yesterday, you know this is the opposite of what I did say:" So if I get this straight, you do not believe that God is calling us to reduce restrictions on gun ownership and availability in response to this incident. And you do not believe that more people having more guns will reduce or stop mass and school killings. Have I got that right?

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  10:39pm

Paul, how much money did George Soros (and other leftists, including Hollywood celebrities) spend to put Obama in office in 2008 and 2012, which would have fed untold numbers of people?

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  10:36pm

Paul Schryba

December 22, 2012  10:19pm

"Every year, 8 million people die because they’re too poor to stay alive.... Half the world lives on less than $2 a day-30,000 children die every day due to poverty- 2 billion have no access to electricity- 20% of people in the highest-income countries consume 86% of the world’s resources. The poorest 20% account for a minuscule 1.3%." [http://www.un.org/summit/poverty.html] "This year, the NRA spent $17 million on federal elections. It's a considerable amount when compared to the size of the industry. Annual gun sales in the U.S. total about $3.5 billion, according to estimates from Wedbush Securities analyst Rommel Dionisio." [http://money.cnn.com/2012/12/18/news/economy/gun-lobby-nra-connecticut/ind ex.html] The annual NRA budget is over $220 million per year. The world cannot afford America's gun spending.

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  10:09pm

Paul, here are my answers to your questions: Q: Do you believe God is calling for us to reduce restrictions on gun ownership and availability in response to this particular shooting incident? A: If you read my earlier post about this very thing yesterday, you know this is the opposite of what I did say. Q: Do you believe that God is calling for us to criminalize abortion in response to this particular shooting incident? A: Paul, do you believe that God is calling us to de-criminalize any OTHER form of murder? And do you believe that God called the Supreme Court to de-criminalize the form of murder we call abortion?

Paul Schryba

December 22, 2012  9:01pm

Claire: Do you believe God is calling for us to reduce restrictions on gun ownership and availability in response to this particular shooting incident? Do you believe that God is calling for us to criminalize abortion in response to this particular shooting incident? Yes or no.

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  4:22pm

Wayne - a word of explanation which I hope will help you to understand why I sometimes (rarely) ask someone if he or she is a Christian. For quite some time I posted here just assuming that everyone WAS a believer (because it's a Christian magazine website), thus God's Word was everyone's standard of truth. After a while, though, a couple of posters made it clear to me that was not true of them at all. For that reason, I have quit assuming anything at all about total strangers, which of course is always the best thing to do anyway. Whenever a poster simply dismisses the Word of God and asserts his or her ideas as 'better', that certainly causes me to wonder. Does that not make sense to you? As for your post, I understand your point, but at the same time, Christ Jesus made it clear that His Word is eternal. So I do believe 2 Chronicles 7:14 still applies to believers today as it did then, as it has through the ages. No space here to elaborate, but please look up Jeremiah Lanphier.

Claire Guest

December 22, 2012  4:21pm

Grace, abortions were performed illegally before our government put its official stamp of approval on it, BUT the numbers were greatly inflated by early abortion proponents, as Dr. Bernard Nathanson (co-founder of NARAL) admitted. Since January 22, 1973, almost 60,000,000 little babies have been LEGALLY KILLED in this nation. I ran the figures on that number yesterday - that's an average of 1,500,000 BABIES PER YEAR - MORE than 4,000 BABIES PER DAY. Can you imagine what would happen in this nation if MORE than 4,000 little children were likewise murdered in their classrooms EVERY DAY for the next 40 YEARS??? These statistics are simply mind-boggling. It is utterly hypocritical for Americans to decry the killing of those precious 20 little ones in Newtown and NOT also decry the killing of 60,000,000 of their counterparts - even younger, the most innocent and helpless among us. God is not mocked. Whatever our nation sows, it WILL reap. The reaping actually began some time ago.

Paul Schryba

December 22, 2012  7:36am

Rick: This is from God: God loves you and is well pleased with you. Please pray over Matt 10: 28, 37

Wayne Froese

December 21, 2012  10:51pm

Claire, that passage continues... 15 Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. 16 I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there."... Remember at the moment of Christ's death that the veil to the Holy of Holies was split. In the destruction of Jerusalem @ 70 AD they reported that God left the Temple. This also seems to contradict this passage so I thought I point it out. My point really was is that I don't apply this passage beyond the scope it gives itself - God & Solomon, were talking. More to the point, do you think your refrain of "Are you a Christian?" when your ideas are opposed garners much respect?

Displaying 1–20 of 143 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  8 next page