Guest / Limited Access /

Iowa's Supreme Court ruled 7-0 that a male dentist was within his legal rights to fire an attractive female assistant because he and his wife "feared he would try to have an affair with her down the road." The court said the dentist, ...

audrey ruth

March 13, 2013  9:01pm

We don't have enough information here to make an accurate judgment one way or the other on the dentist's action. All we have in this article is a brief bare bones statement with no explanations whatsoever. It WAS better for him to fire the worker than to commit adultery. Beyond that, we don't have any info.

Stacey Frith-Smith

March 12, 2013  3:07pm

I can see where someone would have a desire to play it safe and to protect the sanctity of their marriage relationship- but his solution is a selfish one. In terminating her, the dentist is basically saying that his level of risk is so escalated that he doesn't owe her the debt of balancing his interests regarding his marriage relationship with her interests in continued employment and fiscal solvency. I agree with the idea that there is a tendency to still punish women for the sins of men. Actually, we all have a seamy underbelly where we attempt to escape the pain of being conformed to Christ by simply absenting ourselves from the world. In some cases this is an excellent idea, a no-brainer. We have no need to stand next to sin in order to test our resolve. However, this dentist hired this assistant and entered into a professional relationship with her. By doing so, he incurred the responsibility for maintaining his own professional boundaries. He doesn't seem to grasp this.

Dr. Norman L. Martin

March 12, 2013  12:28am

I agree with Annette Lengyel. I noticed that nothing in The Christianity Today article on the decision gave any real information on how Iowa's Supreme court managed to come to its decision. Must have been some quirk in the law. "He fired her because he "thought" he may try to have an affair with her? He feared he couldn't control himself or at least his wife feared he would act on his lascivious thoughts, which in itself is a sin. How about a Christian response that remembers not to blame the victim. He should at least have seen license Christian Counselor to find a far better way than his pastor did by blessing his action. As a Chaplain/Pastoral Counselor with many years experience, I wonder if he feared losing control of his desires to the point of unwanted advances toward the employee, or worse. He should get help immediately for there will always be sexual temptations and boundaries need to be in place and firm.

audrey ruth

March 11, 2013  11:40pm

John Keirsey, I agree with your insights.

John Keirsey

March 11, 2013  4:31pm

One of the problems with specific sins is that once committed, the powers of darkness have a place of access into the life of the believer or non-believer, male or female. As an area of temptation, we may not be able to make it go away forever, no matter how good or consecrated we might be today. The dentist, like me, like you, has to know his limits, and has to act to the best of his ability. In his decision, doesn't he act in the best interest of the assistant as well? I think so. But we should go a step further. Michael McManus wrote this: "We have to walk away from temptation; we just cannot court it, which would be happening if she had remained. The best thing to do would be to show compassion and help the woman find another job so she's not hurt by the firing." He right about this. As much as it's in the best interests of both the dentist and the assistant to not sin, the dentist, out of our debt of love to our Master, should help his assistant, too.

K. Smith

March 11, 2013  3:34pm

Good for the dentist? For depriving someone of her livelihood in this economy because he had a problem? That's not a good Christian attitude.

Melody Mariner

March 11, 2013  3:28pm

Muslims blame women for rapes and they are covered from head to toe. It doesn't matter how attractive a woman is, she is made in the image of God. If you were thinking about that, whether she is a sister in Christ or someone that you should be sharing the gospel with then there wouldn't be a problem. Jesus had no problem being around women, very sinful women. Perhaps men should try harder to follow His example.

Paul Bryce

March 11, 2013  8:35am

I find the lack of deeper Biblical understanding here disturbing. Females in our culture in the last 50-75 years have been taught to present themselves as sexually attractive through fashion and makeup all the time in public. Men are just supposed to "deal with" this heightened level of their God given desire toward a female. I heard a Pastor of 70 years age share how he avoids certain types of females more who are in his personal attraction scope. The dean from Southern Baptist is way off base and does not reflect reality. Good for the dentist.

Annette Lengyel

March 10, 2013  7:36pm

There are a number of problems with this scenario. Since he didn't have any problem in hiring her and his decision to fire her had nothing to do (apparently) with her workplace performance or other legitimate reasons an employer would have to fire someone, he had a professional obligation to ensure she would find equal placement with another employer. To terminate her due his personal weaknesses without the responsibility of securing her employment elsewhere reeks of sexism and blaming her for his problem. Unless she was somehow trying to get him to have an affair with her (which would be grounds for dismissal) it is ridiculous to project his flaws on her. While he may have felt temptation to cheat on his wife, one should not presume she would have gone along with it. If he had handled the situation correctly, this never would have become an issue for debate. The lawsuit should have been for wrongful dismissal and he should have paid until she found another job.

Former Iowan

March 10, 2013  3:16pm

I am amazed at how quick we are to judge a fellow believer. The dentist is my friend and is a deeply committed follower of Jesus. The press sensationalized the story and only reported the details that were convenient to making an eye-catching, controversial headline. You are not aware of the facts regarding what happened before, during or after the specific incident took place. You are not aware of his efforts to honor God in his handling of this situation. Yet you are quick to judge his character and motives. You are entitled to have a discussion about the question raised in the article, but be very carefully about making character judgments about a fellow believer.

audrey ruth

March 09, 2013  9:24pm

The thing is, anything we opine is just sheer speculation because what's given here is bare bones information -- no details at all.

Jim Ricker

March 09, 2013  6:09pm

Hi Stephen R, You're correct, we don't know the whole story but we do know that it is not OK for me to make someone else pay for my weakness (otherwise known as a pet sin that is present in my life) and it is not OK for anyone else either. If she did nothing wrong (which is certainly within the realm of possibility) then this is what he did - punished someone else for his own sin. Jesus said cut off your hand or gouge out your eye, not someone else's hand or eye.

Jim Ricker

March 09, 2013  6:04pm

Hi Erica and All, I must apologize, somehow this part of a comment "the facts are not being reported accurately (hence the reason why there are variances in whether it was her boyfriend or fiance or husband who got offered a job supposedly." I posted to another article discussion article on the woman who got fired from a Christian school for having pre-martial sex got included here. To be honest, I must have somehow pasted it in my comment here by mistake and didn't notice it and that is completely my fault. Thanks for pointing it out as I didn't see it. I apologize to all for the mistake and for the confusion it may have created.

audrey ruth

March 09, 2013  1:30pm

"I would try to help the girl find a job and would recommend her." Unless she deliberately tried to cause trouble, ITA with this.

Steven Rego

March 09, 2013  10:00am

We don't know the whole situation. We don't know if he tried other ways of fixing the problem, we don't know if this was the only solution. What if it was? Avoid sin at all costs. We all stumble so often, I honor him for going to whatever lengths to do it. Heck, that is something that I can learn from, I hope I would do the same thing. But it's true, it's not just about him, it's about that girl too. I would try to help the girl find a job and would recommend her.

Karen Fahel

March 08, 2013  9:14pm

That's kind of funny, because I was HIRED because my boss knew he wouldn't have an affair with me down the road! OK, so I might exaggerate a little, but his wife sat in on the interviews, and SHE felt comfortable with me. I had the background, the talent, the experience and the personality, and although I'm not exactly ugly, I'm not gorgeous, voluptuous or sexy; I dress conservatively and am a touch overweight. I've been with my boss for almost 5 years now and we have the best working relationship; he's comfortable with me. He also gets along with my husband. He's also a Christian. He will deny it, but I know that one of the reasons I was hired was for that comfort factor. The long and the short of it is, I can see both sides of the issue. A boss really shouldn't hire or fire based on a woman's appearance, and a woman should try for some modesty and decorum in the workplace. (The gender roles can be reversed, as well.)

Hal SANDERS

March 08, 2013  6:16pm

Yes, blame it on the woman, not the dentist who should be mature enough and grounded in his faith enough to keep his emotions and hormones under control. It's important to note the court did not rule on the issue of the woman's presence but only the fact that an employer has a right to fire an employee. And, Jim, I'm not impressed by your professed inside information on the case. Either back it up or quit rumor mongering.

Erica Lamb

March 07, 2013  7:45pm

Jim, are we talking about the same article? No one has mentioned anything about her boyfriend/husband/fiancé (by the way, she is married with children) and some job offer. While the article we are discussing may be a single specific incident, clearly the topics being discussed have implications that transcend the actions of one dentist - which is probably why the editors of this site presented it for discussion in the first place. Are you asserting that the facts of the case are not being reported accurately in any article that has been published anywhere thus far, including interviews and court records? If so, do you have a special revelation to support this allegation? Perhaps you could share your knowledge so that we all have a better understanding of the facts in this case. I don't understand why you are opposed to discussing an article that has been presented for discussion. You seem to acknowledge that discussion of the topic is important, then chastise us for doing so.

Erica Lamb

March 07, 2013  1:09pm

@ Steve Skeete - Just because an action is permissible under the law, does not mean that it is good and right. @ Jim Ricker - This topic that was posted for open discussion, not a rumor that someone just happened to hear. This case is also part of the public record and anyone can look up the details - in fact, some people have - so I don't think you are justified in saying that "we are spouting off ignorantly." Some very, very good points are being made in this dicsussion, on both sides of the issue. For you to hold that we are ignorant aside from special revelation is to dimish the importance of the topic at hand. This discussion is not just about an isolated incident. Ultimately, this is about a much deeper issue that affects us all: how to live our lives rightly and not hurt others in the process, as well as the continued objectification of women in our society.

J G

March 06, 2013  9:51pm

Firing his attractive assistant because he feared he could not keep it in his pants is the first step on a slope that leads to "It's her fault she was raped -- she dressed like she wanted it" and ends with Sharia law: burkha all the women so the men won't lust after them. Let's not make a man's lack of control into a woman's problem.

Jim Ricker

March 06, 2013  6:08pm

Unless someone around here has special revelation about the history between this dentist and this hygienist, we are spouting off ignorantly and should remain quiet. Too many determining questions are not asked or answered to make a determination if the guy should have done what he did. Has he been offended and tempted for 10 years and he and his wife have all of a sudden decided that what was fine last year is no longer OK? Did this woman start to dress inappropriately in her scrubs many years into her employment? Has he just figured out that he can't resist this woman 10 years later? There are many more questions that should be asked to see if this was really warranted.

Jim Ricker

March 06, 2013  6:03pm

Steve S, Even though I can agree with your comment on If IT IS PERMISSIBLE, the question and discussion is about whether or not it SHOULD have happened. Those are two separate questions and certainly two separate answers.

Jacqueline Susann

March 06, 2013  12:24pm

My concern in the situation is not about the law, but ethics and morals on the dentist and his wife. Obviously the assistant was beautiful when he hired her, but was it the wife (and jealousy) that disapproved after seeing her. It then, became a problem between the husband and wife? No matter the answer to this question, the least he could have done for her was tell her it was not working out, give her the chance to find another job, then give her a good letter of recommendation. It was not HER fault he had these feelings, and she should never have reaped the repercussions from it. Further, the dentist should work on his infidelity thoughts and feelings and work on his own strength. It is a shame others have to pay for another's problems. In my opinion, he put a band aide on the problem that already exists inside him; as it will appear again somewhere down the road. Another will suffer.

Steve Skeete

March 06, 2013  11:11am

From all that I have read about this case the laws of Iowa allow for dismissal if it is believed that the presence of a worker adversely affects family relationships. Both the lower court and the Iowa supreme Court agreed that this was not a 'gender' issue. My understanding is that the assistant was not dismissed because she was 'beautiful', or female, but because the dentist, and his wife, felt the assistants' continuation threatened their marriage. In this he is fully supported by the laws of Iowa. The dentist took full advantage of an existing law and the assistant suffered from the same. Therefore, whether the dentist is a 'real' man or even a 'good' Christian is moot as far as the law is concerned. Even the fact that the Supreme Court of Iowa comprises 'seven males' is a non-issue if these justices are rightly interpreting the laws of the state. The justices examined the legality of the matter and found that the dentist was within his rights. Any blame for the decision is Iowa's.

Mark Adams

March 06, 2013  10:45am

I do not know the man, and I do not know how many moral temptations he gave in to short of adultery, but in the end I believe he did the right thing in firing her. Maybe he should not have hired her in the first place, but once that was done he could not undo it. Also, if he did not hire her because she was attractive that might have set him up for some kind of a discrimination lawsuit. I do hope he gave her a good referral for her next job (if she was in fact a good worker) and a generous severance package.

Julie Dever

March 06, 2013  10:26am

This almost happened to me once. My counselor just said "Ugly girls don't have this problem". Well, thanks a lot. Later I learned that the man had been sued by a former assistant for sexual harrassment! No one warned me when I was hired, least of all his wife, the office manager! Glad I had the option to quit!

Chuck Roberts

March 06, 2013  9:57am

Amen to Gary Smalley, Russell Moore, and Jaime Goff. The thing is, this guy still has the same issues he already had. What's he going to do if an attractive patient shows up?

Brian Johnson

March 06, 2013  9:44am

He should have not hired her in the first place. He entered into temptation when he hired her.

Erica Lamb

March 05, 2013  5:11pm

Multiple articles are reporting that this dentist said to his assistant, "if [his] pants were bulging that was a sign her clothes were too revealing." Another article stated that he had sent her a text regarding the frequency of her sexual encounters (the assistant did not respond to this messge and the dentist did not deny he sent it). How anyone can comend this man for "resisting temptation" is truly frightening to me. Whatever temptation he felt, he started and then subsequently failed to claim personal responsibility. If the type of work he does requires such close contact with another person and he is afraid of the temptation such close contact can cause, then he should have excused himself from the profession or have gone to work in an all-male clinic. This is not a great man who found himself in an impossible situation - this is a coward who made life difficult for other people - namely his assistant and his wife - and then took the easy way out.

james .

March 05, 2013  3:42pm

Here is one media report that contain some info. What it suggests is that the matter was not taken lightly and the reasons are not sexual discrimination or sexism as some comments have insinuated. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2252135/Melissa-Nelson-Judg es-married-dentist-fired-aide-said-irresistibly-attractive.html

John Shields

March 05, 2013  3:32pm

Jack, thanks for your response. I do however, have to disagree on a certain level. All the facts are never entirely public, nor should they be. Anyone who has been close to a "media scandal" will tell you that there is much more going on than what makes the headlines. Additionally, anyone who has had to defend him or herself from personal or professional attacks in court have experienced the pains of what to say or not to say, and what legal arguments to make or not to make. With that in mind, I don't think it's appropriate to cast stones here. Is it okay to give limited response/commentary on a situation where one has limited information? Sure, but let's stick to things that build up and teach one another, instead of attacking a fellow man. For the record, my previous response was primarily directed at the mainstream national media, not at this particular article, which rightly indicates that the court upheld the fact that this case was not gender discrimination.

audrey ruth

March 05, 2013  1:51pm

Jack, can you publish a link to the court record so we can read the facts of the case? There's nothing in this article but bare bones.

Jack Ratekin

March 05, 2013  1:40pm

I understand the frustration some of you must feel. "This can't be all there is to this, there must be more to the story." The facts as presented here are exactly correct. The dentist in question did fire her for being too attractive, he told her he was firing her for being too attractive and he told the court he fired her for being too attractive. This behavior is acceptable in Iowa. Iowa is a "right to work" state, which means that employers can pretty much fire anybody at any time for any reason. That's what the Iowa Supreme Court upheld 7-0.

Jack Ratekin

March 05, 2013  1:33pm

John Sheilds - The facts are public, they are available in the court record, and they are not as represented by you.

John Shields

March 05, 2013  1:30pm

The truth regarding this man is that he neither fired his assistant for being "too attractive", nor did the Iowa court deem it legal to do so. The national media has run with a lie here. If you do any digging at all, particularly with local news, the truth is out there. Firstly, this dentist fired his assistant because of her behavior, not because she was "too attractive". She refused to wear appropriate clothing to work after being asked repeatedly. The dental assistant was also continually flirting with him, texting him outside work, not to mention slandering other employees. Secondly, this court ruled that the firing was NOT GENDER DISCRIMINATION. They didn't rule that it is okay to fire someone for being "too attractive" as the media has reported. Finally, this case never even made it to trial! It was refused trial by a district court, and the Iowa Supreme Court affirmed the district court's decision to not take it to trial, and that's why all the facts haven't been made public.

Jack Ratekin

March 05, 2013  11:29am

Perhaps this woman should not have been allowed to go to school to become a hygenist. Problem solved.

audrey ruth

March 05, 2013  10:48am

Sounds like he should have asked his wife to work in the office! It seems that would have taken care of any problem. But we really do need more information here to be able to make any accurate assessment of the situation.

Marian Van Til

March 05, 2013  9:44am

I am pleasantly surprised by the excellent points raised here -- points the guy should have considered even before hiring the attractive assistant if he is so pathetically weak-willed; not to mention sexist. "Sexism" is often misapplied, but if he thinks it's ok for a Christian man to treat a female employee like he did, then sexism is deeply ingrained in him. Of course this firing was gender based. Is he trying to make people believe that he'd react the same way to closely working with an attractive man (as someone else here alluded to)? This man -- not the female employee -- has some serious problems, not the least of which is a thorough inability to live his faith. (And frankly, so does his pastor. As a woman I wouldn't come near a minister like that for "pastoral" advice.) This guy is an idiot, and reinforces the stereotype that conservative (presumably evangelical) Christians ARE generally idiots.

scott roney

March 05, 2013  12:42am

Another example of how so many Christians have lost their testimony and have nothing but a shallow shell of a relationship with God/Jesus. This man is addressing the problem (his lack of a meaningful spiritual & marital commitment) with a band-aid. He should be looking inward to address the missing pieces of his walk with God, his walk with his wife, and his walk with himself. The reader who addressed the issue of proper boundaries presents part of the answer. An open & honest conversation with his wife and pastor should have been the start with the goal of maintaining a strictly professional relationship. If his employee violated the boundaries he could have fired her. This women obviously needed her job. She may have had others who were depending on her as a provider. To be fired for a lack of discipline is a sham and a travesty. It is a pathetic witness and only does harm to the notion of Christ as "Lord & Savior." He hasn't grown and will have to "fire" every attractive women.

james .

March 04, 2013  11:26pm

@Patrice. You have made a very valid observation based on your experience. We also do not have enough info on this case. e.g. was the assistant's non-verbal cues presenting a temptation to the dentist?. I would add that to provide a better witness the dentist could have referred the assistant to work for, say a female dentist. Many who have commented here who appear to have some Christian background do not seem to understand the problem of temptation. It explains why we have many sexual relationships outside of marriage, broken marriages and divorces in the Christian community caused by temptations today. The words of warning by the apostle Paul is appropriate in this context, "Therefore let anyone who thinks that he stands take heed lest he fall." 1 Cor 10:12 That is not to say that everyone has a problem with temptation as this dentist. At least he is honest enough to admit his weakness, and every right to practice as a dentist if he is qualified to do so.

John Holmes

March 04, 2013  10:42pm

Just how much compensation did she receive for being unfairly sacked? Say 6 month salary. If none, yet another example of an abuse of woman bashing by some one unable to manage himself. This is part of the justification for burkas. Is there a form of managing women being developed or being resurrected from the past, bearing in mind that Islam is in part a heresy of Christianity and Judaism which punishes women for male lust. So where did it get those ideas from?

Marilyn Bryan

March 04, 2013  7:57pm

Does he only accept ugly clients? Seems he has a temptation problem.

Richard McNeeley

March 04, 2013  7:25pm

Was the assistant ugly when she was hired? If her beauty was an issue then she should never have been hired. If attraction was the issue then the dentist should have found her a job elsewhere. Firing the assistant will not keep the dentist from having an affair, if he wants to he will find a way.

Citizen Anon

March 04, 2013  4:22pm

It was reported the dentist's pastor advised him to fire her. More & more, people like these make us look like the Taliban -- Exploit women, then blame & punish the victims & give the assailant a pass. The Bible does not tell us to get rid of the people that tempt us-- we're to cut out our own eye or hand, not theirs. Joseph did not seek to have Potiphar's wife put out -- he fled. The dentist did not flee temptation or sin. He violated his assistant in two ways. He sought & committed adultery (by God's standards), & then he punished her for his adultery. He further victimized the target of his sinful impulses. If he was truly seeking to flee sin & repent, he should have asked forgiveness of his wife & the assistant, & sold his practice, giving the assistant a great recommendation. Instead, he & his pastor chose the path of protecting his interests, & preserving his power and wealth. This is a terrible testimony to the world likely to turn souls away from Christ.

Jack g

March 04, 2013  3:54pm

It seems to me that this dentist is dealing with issues that go far beyond his receptionist. I am in agreement with earlier posts that if he spent more time focusing on his wife, he might have a little less problem with the assistant.

Rick Dalbey

March 04, 2013  3:45pm

Patrice, it sounds like this guy should get out of Dentistry. Take up lumber jacking or work on an oil rig. Besides, what have looks ever had to do with adultery? It is about lust and opportunity, not looks and personality. His problem is himself, not his assistant. Yes, Epic Fail...

THOMAS PECK

March 04, 2013  3:16pm

I only know what I have read from news reports, but it looks like the Dentist handled this situation poorly. He should have informed the assistant, with his wife present, of his struggle with the attraction so she could be aware of the situation. if she felt uncomfortable as a result of the discussion and she felt employment elsewhere was a better option, then he should have compensated her for lost wages and expenses, perhaps even keeping her on the payroll until she was employed or assisting in other ways (referals, etc) until she found a new job. If she decided to stay, then he should have put himself into an accountability situation with his wife, other godly men, other office staff As Christians, we are called to go beyond just what is 'legally' required and do that which was morally right. It was not the woman's fault that she was attractive to the man, so he needed to assist her as best he could, and not let it get to the point where he had to be sued by her

Patrice Marker

March 04, 2013  3:08pm

Yes. If this doctor was having thoughts or feeling for this young lady or any other person, he has the right to not have them in his life. I am a former dental assistant of 22 years. The releationship between the doctor and assistant is very close. You work side by side for the better part of 8 hours a day, with heads close to each other, legs and arms close and often brushing up against each other, just because to get into the mouth you have to move around to access the best view for the doctor and yet allow the assistant to do their job also. A good team will learn not to have to ask for items, because they are in sync with each other, they know what the other needs to make the job flow quickly and painlessly for the patient. This type of releationship, unless precautions are taken and the stongholds brought down can lead to unwanted attentention, and affaires. Dentist has one of the highest rates of affaires, divorces, and sucides. This dentist took precaution and it right.

Jeff Estes

March 04, 2013  2:53pm

This man is a poor example to show non-Christians. Firing her wasn't honest, it was weak and cowardly. At what point does a Christian actually deal with temptation at its source - themselves?? While not everyone can resist everything, doesn't this "man" ever encounter women without wanting to have sex with them? Epic Fail.

paul Shrier

March 04, 2013  2:49pm

Not enough information in the article: Did he "fire" her? If so, was there a reason other than that she was attractive? Did he lay her off, provide any kind of compensation? How long had she been on the job? Is he a guy who has had problems in the past? Not enough information for me to understand the story. . . .

KERRY LUDDY

March 04, 2013  2:49pm

None of the experts quoted have mentioned that it takes TWO to have an affair and the sexist approach of the married couple and the courts. Since the case mentions the female's attractiveness, is the dentist's attractiveness or lack thereof mentioned? If the receptionist was unattractive would his affair potential diminish? Why is it assumed that if he "tried" to have an affair, his overtures would have been welcomed? I doubt the dentist has protected his marriage; instead he simply opened a window into a very troubled one.

Bill Simpson

March 04, 2013  2:37pm

Is it possible that his wife knows her husband all too well????

Roger Morris

March 04, 2013  1:57pm

Pathetic and silly. What a wimp this pathetic man was and what an insecure wife he has. I think he should be been sued for being such a prat. A bad witness and only highlights to the outside world how obsessed Christians are with moralism. Fail.

Rick Dalbey

March 04, 2013  1:51pm

The fruit of the Spirit is self-control. This dentist obviously had no self control. He wants to blame others for his temptation. Job made a covenant with his eyes not to lust after young women, he did not banish beautiful women from his employment. This is bizarre, like the Moslems that blame women for tempting their poor weak souls.

faith burns

March 04, 2013  1:25pm

Why doesn't he just put a burka on her??

Erica Lamb

March 04, 2013  1:01pm

This is asinine. If men honestly can't keep it together around women they find attractive, then maybe they need to stay at home and let their wives take care of business. Would it be better for Christian "men" if women were to adopt the use of burqas? Or should we just stay out of site in the home? If men are that weak, can we really call them men? As a woman, I am completely offended by this dentist's actions and feel just as objectified as I would if this article were about someone hiring women based purely on their cup size.

Byron Hammond

March 04, 2013  12:54pm

Having already hired her for whatever reasons, pure or impure, he did the right thing to address this temptation for what it was to him.He was truthful to himself; he didn't lie to himself and say "I can handle it, and for heavens sake I would be putting this poor girl out of a job" Don't forget that the God who will honor this man for guarding his marriage/covenant with his wife is the same God who is able to provide as good a job or better for this young lady. Jesus had just been talking about sexual sin when He said;Matthew 5:30 (KJV) 30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. Jesus is serious! It also say;1 Corinthians 6:18-19 (KJV) 18Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.[] This was an honest way for him to" flee "from this situation.

William Settles

March 04, 2013  12:50pm

Perhaps the assistant should not have been hired in the first place, especially since the dentist likely had an idea that he would struggle with this issue. Also, it would seem unlikely for all beautiful women to not cross his path, so he needs to be in counseling to learn specific boundary setting techniques.

Mark Matthias

March 04, 2013  12:40pm

When we have been exhorted to be in the world, but not of it; I couldn't possibly advise a person to deal with his weaknesses this way. Perhaps in time, hopefully, he will be able to have that engagement with the Comforter that will carry him safely through experience, as the Lord's Prayer reassures us the Lord will do.

charles Boone

March 04, 2013  12:40pm

Seriously? So the guy can only work with ugly people? (if he can work with an attractive man, then the firing was gender based...) Firing her is no different than any other form of sexual harassment--she's jobless because she can't sleep with him. Try this instead: your sexuality belongs to God, not you. If someone else is a temptation to you in this area, it is only because you are already sinning. You might try asking and praying about why you want to take what belongs to God and give it to someone else instead of the wife he blessed you with? If this same man felt tempted to give his tithe to the local zoo instead of his local church, would we bulldoze the zoo as a distraction to fiscal integrity? Rather than treating this attractive woman like a temptress, she ought to be treated like a victim.