Guest / Limited Access /

I don't know when I first became a skeptic. It must have been around age 4, when my mother found me arguing with another child at a birthday party: "But how do you know what the Bible says is true?" By age 11, my atheism was so widely known ...

MATT Wheeland

January 27, 2014  7:01pm

@Scott Milligan. It resolves the dilemma. God would not order a murder of your mother. Since he is goodness (the personification of all moral virtue), he cannot command something that will result in evil.

Pedro Barrento

October 29, 2013  2:00pm

For a totally different take on religion and on the Big Bang, may I suggest the book "The Prince and the Singularity - A Circular Tale"?

Nick Evanitsky

October 29, 2013  10:23am

Bee-autiful!

David Stern

October 26, 2013  4:28pm

I am confused by Ms. Monge's reasoning. Why is the Catholicism of Lemaitre material? Surely, she knows that the "Big Bang" can not be asserted as the Creation event. Many logicians can and have poked holes in all of the moral and metaphysical authors she lists. What does "rich" mean in the context of Apologetics? How does one quantify "rich", in contrasting the claims of theism vs. non- theism? She states:"I longed for the Bible to be true, but the intellectual evidence was still insufficient." If we were to hear this from a scientist "I so wanted Cold Fusion to be true...." we would doubt any following conclusions. In the end, what we have is another person who had an experiential conversion because of a desire to have a conversion. If Christianity were the only religion where this occurred, then there may be some validity to this evidence, but people are converted from one thing to another all the time, though they may describe it less articulately.

Oscar Ramirez

September 04, 2013  12:09am

"And who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong." 1 Pet. 3:13-17 It's great to read about your coming to Christ Jordan, and I encourage you on your continued path. A path filled with joy, troubles, questions and all in between. The best part is you've found the Answer. Let that guide you the rest of the journey. Continue to walk by Faith and Hope. Blessings, Oscar

Scott Milligan

August 28, 2013  6:26pm

"God is not merely good, but goodness; goodness is not merely divine, but God." That doesn't resolve the Euthyphro dilemma. The assertion that God is goodness still means that he could ask me tomorrow to kill my mother and in his eyes it would still be good despite the fact that it is utterly ungood. The usual response to this is that we can't see how it would be good because we are unable to understand God's nature but the original claim above is a claim of knowledge of God's nature. If that was the first thing that sent her down the path to "God" then I'm glad I have a higher standard of evidence than she.

audrey ruth

April 24, 2013  1:55am

Andrew, in answer to your question, I can testify that I see the glorious, overcoming power and majesty of God throughout His Word as His indwelling Spirit guides me and teaches me, as Christ Jesus said He would do. The Holy Spirit opens up His Word to me and enables me to see the Lord as He really is, in power and might and glory. Mark 3:14 says of the twelve that Jesus called them that they might BE WITH Him, and it was out of that fellowship that their ministry of life-changing salvation, healing, and deliverance was birthed and empowered. The same is true of His people today: When we take the time to BE WITH Him, to experience the glory of Emmanuel -- GOD WITH US -- our spirit and soul and heart and mind are completely and forever changed, transformed, by His mighty power. (See Romans 12) That has been my experience, and I'm just one of many.

Andrew Macauley

April 17, 2013  10:51am

What if you can know more about the nature of the universe than you think, by understanding what omnipotence truly means? What if God, in being omnipotent, MUST be more powerful than He is usually described as being? I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe in the resurrection. But I also believe that God is not always represented correctly in the Bible, and this is why there is confusion. But I believe all of the pieces fit together, too, when you consider the true nature of God himself...

Randy Bella

April 14, 2013  3:29pm

The Opus Magnum a woman can give the Lord, church and society is a godly child. It depends on what you value. If you need a job outside of home to feel "validated," being home will not satisfy (assuming you can choose to stay home). In the past, societies had more in common, and bad influences over the family weren't so strong/constant as today. With the communications explosion and the indoctrination in public (and sometimes in private) schools, parents have an uphill battle today. What is being taught in virtually all schools and by most teachers today contradicts the ethics/moral views of the parents; so parents are being openly undermined. Now if both parents work, and also have some other church activities that separates them from their kids during the week, that leaves very little time for you to pass all the legacy you may have received from your parents—not enough to equip your kids for their future. Therefore, the best choice to improve our chances of raising godly children is with homeschooling, best done by mom. Studies show this yields the best overall outcome possible for our kids. You can become very academic with methods, subject contents, character development, instead of just going along with a particular curriculum. Your Ph.D. thesis is your godly, well-rounded Esther or Daniel--great for society. Notice that Esther became her great paradigm even while fulfilling a "wife billet." I challenge you all to listening to Pastor Voddie Baucham’s The Children of Caesar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4dR-A5nj8 Also please watch the free movie IndoctriNation about how public schools (in most cases) are destroying your kids at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNs3rPoVCMU Kind regards.

audrey ruth

April 11, 2013  1:09am

"I came to Harvard seeking Veritas. Instead, he found me." Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I can totally identify with her story. When we were yet sinners, He died for us. We love Him because He first loved us. The love of God will transform anyone's heart and life if they are open to His love.

John Denne

April 10, 2013  6:35pm

Excellent. Thank you

Sarah Shaver

April 10, 2013  12:45pm

yikes, people! can we not accept a sister's testimony for its beauty (and truth!) without criticizing her Latin? the angels are rejoicing in heaven that she is saved, yet you're wondering about feminine vs. masculine. and i'll tell you what else makes kittens cry - trolling websites and flaming writers just so you can make yourself feel like an intellect. bah. Jordan's testimony is hers alone. God reaches us where we are in ways that speak to our individual hearts and minds - and i am so thankful!

John Wright

April 10, 2013  10:07am

"I came to Harvard seeking Veritas. Instead, he found me." Veritas is a feminine noun. I find the author's use of a masculine pronoun to refer to "Veritas" rather jarring. I suppose the reference is to John 14:6 in the Vulgate, in which Jesus says "ego sum via et veritas et vita nemo venit ad Patrem nisi per me". That suggests that we glance at the Greek also, which says "ἐγὼ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή". Again, three feminine nouns, although ἡ ὁδὸς has a typically masculine ending. I would have appreciated more discussion of this matter!

Ronald Fischman

April 08, 2013  2:52pm

I am no theologian myself, although I am conversant with some of the apologetics that Ms. Monge dove into in her search to understand the feelings and emotional state that was emerging inside her. I call this sensation "reverence;" other ppeople might use other terms. This argument from reverence, which is often rebutted by the "Argument From Unfairness (AFU)" forms the core of all religion. Reverence will, in fact, lead the seeker into a thicket of possibilities as Ms. Monge expresses so eloquently, but again and again, the question of unfairness will rear its gnarled head. I like the words of Bryant Parsons, author of a new book called "Why Prof. Richard Schoenig should Quit his Day Job (GGIS Publishing, Philadelphia)." Parsons states simply and clearly that the part cannot understand the whole; thus the creation cannot comprehend its Creator. Ms. Monge expresses the heart of Christianity. Parsons defends the heart from attacks by the head.

Nancy Lee

April 08, 2013  10:33am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I continue to be amazed at a God who loves each of us uniquely -- no two conversion stories are the same, as He draws us to Himself in the way He designed us. I will be sharing this with a friend of mine who is in a crisis of faith . . . I just talked with her this morning, and came home to your story.

Pop Seal

April 07, 2013  9:03pm

The long suffering patience of God surely leads us to repentance and His salvation. 44 years ago I argued with friends for ten months before I too was chased down and tackled by Him Who loves me. One word from experience, don't mistake the 'work of God in churches, for an ongoing relationship with Him. The former wears you out and the latter builds you up. That's how you'll know if you're making the mistake.

sarah farrar

April 06, 2013  5:23pm

How deep the Father's love for us-- How vast beyond all measure-- That He would give His only Son-- To make a wretch His treasure-- How great the pain of searing loss-- The Father turns His face away-- As wounds which mar the chosen One-- Bring many sons to glory-- Behold the Man upon a cross-- My guilt upon His shoulders-- Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice-- Call out among the scoffers-- It was my sin that held Him there-- Until it was accomplished-- His dying breath has brought me life-- I know that it is finished-- I will not boast in anything-- No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom-- But I will boast in Jesus Christ-- His death and resurrection-- Why should I gain from His reward?-- I cannot give an answer-- But this I know with all my heart-- His wounds have paid my ransom-- --Stuart Townend ------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVOuhl3CtI

Vacate Emotion

April 06, 2013  8:32am

It seems your intellectual investigation was very much biased by your emotions. Logic and critical thinking are properly performed devoid of emotional bias. Many statements illustrated emotions coloring your claimed skepticism. •This theme—of love as sacrifice for true good—struck me.>Emotional response. •The fact that I had failed to adhere to my own ethical standards filled me with deep regret.>Welcome to humanity. Regret that led to shame. •The Cross no longer looked merely like a symbol of love, but like the answer to an incurable need.>Your belief in God instilled thoughts causing shame, that luckily, God has the cure for your "need" which otherwise is "incurable." •If I wanted to continue forward in this investigation, I couldn't let it be just an intellectual journey.>How exactly did you convince yourself the journey described was solely intellectual? +In closing, obedience BEFORE truth? Whoever you obey, that is whose truth you will unquestioningly accept. Best of luck to you!

tony kiar

April 06, 2013  7:37am

The sign of Jonah is not heard with ears alone. It is heard with a person's heart as the message falls upon the ear. There are those who won't believe because they believe in everything else but His message. There are those won't believe because they believe in their own righteousness. There are those who won't believe because they haven't yet heard - their heart isn't ready yet. Our mission is His mission - to go and find the lost where ever they may be. If they have a heart for His message they will repent and be saved; ". . . for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." (Romans 10:10)

jacob israel

April 06, 2013  5:57am

Some things just never change: "From the earliest ages of the catholic church a Christian people, whether in time of triumph or more especially in time of crisis, has addressed prayers of petition and hymns of praise and veneration to the Queen of Heaven." Ad caeli reginam 1 Pope Pius XII Note also the hymns, the Salve Regina and Ave Regina Caelorum. Jeremiah 44:25, 27 KJV 25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her… 27 Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them. It’s worth reading the whole of this chapter, followed by Galatians 1:8-9 and 1 Timothy 4:1-3

Brennan Doherty

April 06, 2013  4:03am

Hi Jordan, thanks for sharing your story. I immediately thought of a couple of women who seem to have taken a similar intellectual and spiritual journey as you, going from atheist to Catholic and reading some of the same great teachers. One is Leah Libresco and she has a blog called "Unequally Yoked" here: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/unequallyyoked/. The other is Jennifer Fulwiler and she writes for the National Catholic Register (and has a personal blog as well): http://www.ncregister.com/blog/jennifer-fulwiler/. I just thought you could use some good company. God bless you.

Carl Senna

April 05, 2013  11:38pm

The problem with religion is that it can't explain nature; but the limitation of science is that it can't explain how human societies begin organized in a faith, or belief in myths. Intellectual hucksters like Richard Dawkins pose a false dilemma: scientific knowledge against faith. But clearly a social convention, as Rousseau argued, is simple arbitrary agreement on how and when to begin a particular social history. Science, starting with Anaximander's principal of sufficient reason, begins in arbitrary language's point zero, as does a religious genesis story. Religion explains how society begins in a program communicated in invented languages; science explains only how to understand nature using that same invention of consciousness, the language invented by the poetic imagination and love, the morphology of signs and numbers that measure and predict natural forces. In that sense all are products of religious faiths, only atheists play the numbers more than the inventors of them.

gary paddock

April 05, 2013  10:32pm

Jordan - The part where you were baptized, it... hit me, moved me, lifted me. Thank you for conducting such an honest search. Thank you for sharing your story.

Ken Sedgwick

April 05, 2013  10:23pm

Re_R. Puharic and God of the gaps. Where the big bang came from is a pretty good question. God of the gaps arguments deal with cases where God is inserted to replace a scientific explanation. Unfortunately, the big bang singularity is the boundary of space and time, which is the domain where science works. Prior to the big bang there was no space and time, and thus, science does not operate. So, accusations of GoG doesn’t apply in this case.

BS BOB

April 05, 2013  8:36pm

@John Allman, Im not sure if you're trying to argue that the awesomeness of mathematics somehow detracts from/disputes the existence of God. The line most people use is that God created an existence in which the laws of mathematics you find amazing can exist. Simple example: you're awe-struck by pi being irrational for every circle. Uh..if you draw a circle on any kind of curved space (on the surface of a sphere, for instance), then pi can be rational. A supernatural being that is capable of creating whole existences can easily create a new reality in which different mathematical laws may apply. @atheists posting, why are you content to just post on a comments board with a smug attitude? she has said multiple times that this article doesn't contain the extent of argumentation/evidence she believes in. why not investigate further and try to challenge yourselves. wouldn't you prefer the much more satisfying victory of having examined all the same evidence she's seen and refuting that?

John Allman

April 05, 2013  4:48pm

When I see nature, it inspires an awe in me, that there must be, or have been, a creator. One thing that really shook my faith, was mathematics. Mathematics has inspired the same awe. I caught myself worshipping God, the way I do when I discover astonishing facts of nature. Yet no god, even if it wanted to, could have created an existence in which pi was a rational number, despite the bible verse that appears to teach that pi is equal to 3, nor any kind of irrational number other than the transcendental number that it can be proven to be, by tautology. So whom am I worshipping, when awestruck by the elegance of mathematics? One may counter that mathematics is man-made. Yet mathematics is process of discovery too. One can construct a finite set of exhaustive and mutually exclusive conjectures, such that one knows that one of them must be true, and all the others false. Later, somebody proves one of them, as a theorem. This process mimics the devising of a decisive experiment.

Jordan Monge

April 05, 2013  3:54pm

As a number of people (including myself) have noted: this was not intended to be an apologetic presenting arguments. Obviously thousands of years of philosophy cannot be boiled down to three pages. It was just an attempt to share my story. I invite any one with questions to email me at jordanmonge [at] post [dot] harvard [dot] edu and I will do my best to reply. @Southern Atheist - you're right, but I think it's telling that initially atheists resisted what science pointed to because it looked like it might support theism. (i.e both sides are guilty of wishful thinking.) @John Holecek - lol. We'll see. @John Mattos - I still wholeheartedly believe in evolution. Many Christians do. (Check out the Biologos Foundation if you don't believe me.) I believe in evolution because of the evidence, and I believe in the Christian faith because of evidence. I'm sorry that I couldn't present more evidence in this article, but I have some other works on my website that do a better job.

Steve Skeete

April 05, 2013  3:11pm

I love the atheists I meet on CT. Some behave like cry-babies, others like bullies. They attack Christians like Ms. Monge but cry foul when they meet someone who can intelligently discuss the issues. One well known British atheist (and cosmic bully) likes to go around debating priests and non-academics just to make fun at them. However, when given an open invitation, and a paid one at that, to sink his teeth into a skilled debater, and a man with two earned PhDs, he hastily declined with the lame excuse that he was a "scientist" not a philosopher". Another atheist accused the same philospher of the despicable crime of defending arguments for God’s existence based on “reason and evidence alone”? Then curiously asked, "Is it true that philosophy departments have sunk to this level"? Many contemporary philosphers have decided to fight 'science with science', but even that is now not good enough. It reminds me of the saying, "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up"!

jacob israel

April 05, 2013  2:35pm

For John Mattos & Co If I said to you that tomorrow you would walk out the front door, and a bird would crap on your head causing you to trip on your doormat, fall head first into a cherry bush, and that you would emerge with a bright red cherry stuck on your nose, you would say that I'm bonkers. If it happened, however, you would ask me how on earth I knew that. Now, if I said that a man who I had never met before told me, you would accept it- and marvel. But if I told you that God told me, you would shake your head in disbelief. Evidence? There's plenty, if you choose to use the eyes, ears and brain God gave you. Read Isaiah 53 for starters. Proven by historians, christian and non- christian alike, to pre-date Christ by at least several centuries. With the hindsight of history, who was Isaiah speaking of? Oh, in case you're wondering, Isaiah said that God told him...

Doug Knox

April 05, 2013  2:02pm

Thank you, Jordan, for an incredible testimony. Like you, I was driven to the faith through a deeper sense of the truth. The role of emotion in epistemology may be far too neglected in our Enlightenment culture. If we observe some of the more vocal radical atheists, for example, we see an inflexible presupposition on a uniformity of causes in a closed system, anger at those who believe in any other way, radical egoism, and reductionism that leads to a blindness to beauty. Contrast those whom Veritas finds. They have committed to a transcendent cause for beauty and truth outside of themselves, unexpected joy in belief followed by a concern for others, humility, and a sense of awe at the complexity and beauty of the creation. (DouglasKnox.com)

Joanne Smithson

April 05, 2013  1:50pm

To art: who is "they"? All I was saying is that the arguments presented have fundamental flaws. One has to be careful when using flawed arguments like this: “For when anyone in the endeavor to prove the faith brings forward reasons which are not cogent, he falls under the ridicule of the unbelievers: since they suppose that we stand upon such reasons, and that we believe on such grounds." - St. Thomas Aquinas

John Holecek

April 05, 2013  11:27am

Nice article. I imagine she'll end up a Catholic.

Art Ellingson

April 05, 2013  11:16am

Joanne said this, "The 'Big Bang' problem as put forth in the article is very weak. The Big Bang issue only demonstrates that there are problems as far as our current understanding of physics go." Science can accept that their explanations and understandings are not complete, therefore they don't answer every question. Then they turn to the Christians and say, unless your understanding and knowledge of God is complete, now, at this moment, you have wholes and flaws and are just standing on faith. Hmm... I think I see two levels or standards of proof.

stacey strickland

April 05, 2013  11:16am

Great article.

Joanne Smithson

April 05, 2013  9:00am

The 'Big Bang' problem as put forth in the article is very weak. The Big Bang issue only demonstrates that there are problems as far as our current understanding of physics go. Certainly at the energy/lengths scales of the extremely young universe we know that physics as we have described it thus far breaks down (particularly at the Planck scales where Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity collide). The 'logical' forms of the argument relating to the Big Bang i.e. the cause and effect argument, also break down as they assume a simple temporal model which applies to objects in the universe on classical scales, but does not necessarily apply to the universe as a whole, and certainly the logic does not obviously follow into a quantum relativistic realm.

Southern Atheist

April 05, 2013  8:55am

A lot of people wishing something to be true does not equal an "overwhelming body of evidence." Furthermore, George Lemaître's accurate theory of an expanding universe no more makes Catholicism true than Muḥammad ibn Mūsā al-Khwārizmī's invention of algebra makes Islam true.

Jorge Frater

April 05, 2013  8:23am

It´s very interesting how they wrote a very well-known secular story, but inverted the plot. Of course you can see the red flags all over it, like a 4 year old saying "But how do you know what the Bible says is true?" that comes much later. In fact, child indoctrination is the core of all religions; they know they have to get them while they are young. It is not uncommon for religion to project onto atheism their shortcomings. Things like, “Oh but atheism is just another religion” or “Well you just have misplaced your faith on the scientists”. No and no. I know believers have a really difficult time understanding how the atheist mind works, but it´s not very different from not believing in Santa Claus. And of course, as soon as you find out that there is no evidence that any god exist, then we turn to the scientists for deep questions. Many of them will result in, “I don’t know”. And that’s what keep atheist going, for every “I don’t know” many say "Let's find out!", and that's great.

DEBORAH K Fisher

April 05, 2013  7:48am

I am convinced that this is an honest testimony. There is no "happy-ever-after" ending that shows up in way too many accounts. Furthermore, the diction selected for this evocative testimonial -- let's start again. Her account has the feeling of an intellectual learning to tone down the vocabulary so that people will hear the report and not the reporter. As for the contents of the report, it goes to show that compassion combined with an informed approach to the tough questions are vital tools in witnessing to the atheists and deists among us. But that shouldn't be news to any genuine experienced Christians.

Abigail Smith

April 05, 2013  3:11am

Cute story, but I think the subtitle "overwhelming body of evidence" is misleading. She didn't actually face any evidence at all! She was confronted with valid questions and philosophical discussions to make her question her atheism and she experienced an significant spiritual event/journey that changed seems to have changer her life, but I don't see any "evidence" here. Though I'm not Christian (I'm an Agnostic Jew) and I've never fully 'believed' in God, I enjoyed this story, but her subtitle completely changed my mind! It's presumptuous as to the inherent value of the questions/epiphanies she experienced and somewhat condescending to anyone that may question or refuse her so-called "overwhelming body of evidence". Just my two cents. A.S.

Raj Kosaraju

April 05, 2013  2:53am

That didn’t work. Our efforts went unnoticed. Our prayers fell short. Through the up’s and down’s of our lives, we will all hear this thought creep into our subconscious – “You don’t matter.” And on the surface it may appear that way. We shared our faith, but our friend didn’t accept Christ. Yet my friend could do nothing to right these wrongs. The Cross no longer looked merely like a symbol of love, but like the answer to an incurable need. When I read the Crucifixion scene in the Book of John for the first time, he wept. When you have the whole armor on, stand firm. After all, He sent His Son to retrieve us from the clutches of the evil one. He overcame so that we would not be snatched out of His hand. He sends squads of angels. He gives armor. He sent the Spirit to dwell in us. He gave us each other to encourage each other. He encourages prayer, listens, and answers. He sent His word to strengthen us and equip us. Wow! He sent His grace, which is sufficient.

jacob israel

April 05, 2013  2:45am

Jordan, thank you for your testimony and I wish you all the best on your quest for Truth. However, please be careful not to treat all church tradition as being the word of God. And tradition, what is that? Is it the tradition of the early church fathers of the first and second century, such as Justin, Clement, Polycarp,Irenaeus, Hippolytus, or is it the tradition of the Constantine, Augustine, Aquinas, whose doctrines have become the mainstay of the Roman Catholic church and are completely contradictory to the teaching of Christ? For all seekers of truth, please see the site havefaithinjesus.wordpress.com Make up your own mind, don't let others make it up for you.

vic jones

April 05, 2013  12:19am

I've often heard it said that "God exists" could not be tested. That's not true. There is a simple, falsifiable test to settle the issue of whether God exists or not. When your life on earth has passed and you see the Triune God, then God exists. The question then is what will you say if God asks why you didn't believe when plenty of evidence have been given? If you don't believe, and it turns out that Christianity is all false, then you cease to exist and won't know you were right anyway. It is a faith decision either way. Nonbelief is an act of faith as is believing in God. Unless you can time-travel you have no way of observing what goes on after death. Like many other choices humans make, choosing to believe or not is a decision all must make without having all the facts.

Jordan Monge

April 04, 2013  10:34pm

Thank you Jim, Tim, Ed, J, Grady, Jonathan, Christopher, and Alfred for your kind words. They are well-appreciated. Ian - I think you're right for most scientists, but not your average atheist. Robert (and Nathan) - I'm sorry. The purpose of this piece wasn't supposed to convince atheists why they should believe. I was simply asked to share my story, and one can't quite cover all the arguments in so few words. If any of my statements were empty cliches, I assure you it was due to a lack of space and not for lack of consideration. Please email me if you would like to discuss this more. jordanmonge [at] post [dot] harvard [dot] edu. Bob - I find the Bible to be full of a great number of truths; when I looked up "contradictions" I found solid responses to them from Christians. Phil - If you judge Christianity by the church, you're bound to find contradictions; we're broken. But given clear evidence that Jesus was the messiah and risen Lord, one must adopt more than Judaism

Nathan rice

April 04, 2013  10:02pm

Profoundly unconvincing, but interesting. While conservative politics has begun to alienate more and more nominal Christians from religion in the last 30 years, this woman's embrace of conservative politics drew her to religion.

Phil Olson

April 04, 2013  7:17pm

I went through this as well. After giving my life to Jesus. I saw many contradictions in the church. It was only after that I realized that the church followed the traditions of men. I realized that those who claim salvation fall into a pit by trusting church tradition over God's Torah. God's Torah/Yeshua are perfect. To follow them? Then all of the Bible is not a contradiction. It is in perfect harmony. We are called to be holy priests OF GOD & not of men. Messianic obedience will bring peace & the Light of His Torah will change our walk. Even Yeshua said that the rabbis of His time cherished tradition over Torah. Today it is still the same. The church chooses to follow their own traditions as more important than following Torah. They claim Paul said the Law was no longer to be followed. YET? The rest of the ENTIRE BIBLE AND EVEN YESHUA stated the opposite. Turn from the twisted ways of men, the false ways of the church. Follow Yeshua and His Torah. & His Blessings will abound.

editor UNITYINCHRIST.COM

April 04, 2013  6:27pm

I wonder why it is that atheists hang out on Christianity Today. Are they hoping to find God? Or is it just to criticize the believers, who are here for other reason? ie their own edification.

Alfred J. Lindh

April 04, 2013  3:47pm

I want to thank Ms. Monge for her article. Having gone through some similar intellectual trials, I appreciate hearing of experiences like hers. Regarding the "God of the Gaps" charge raised by at least one skeptic, I recommend Alister E. McGrath's Surprised by Meaning: Science, Faith, and How We Make Sense of Things. McGrath holds two doctorates from the University of Oxford, a DPhil in Molecular Biophysics and a Doctor of Divinity in Theology. He demonstrates that good apologetics uses the same standards as do scientists in constructing theories to explain data to arrive at "warranted belief" supported by "inference to the best explanation," a process elsewhere defined as "abduction." But there's much more: "Faith does not contradict reason, but transcends it through a joyous divine deliverance from the cold and austere limits of human reason and logic" (Ibid., p6). I would enjoy contacting the writer.

Bob Kroepel

April 04, 2013  3:40pm

Religion = Philosophy which includes a belief in proof of the existence of supernatural beings (SNBs - gods, goddesses, etc.). SNB = A being/entity who/which (A) has greater knowledge of the natural causal relationships (NCRs) inre people, objects and events and (B) greater capabilities for using that knowledge than mankind. Proof = (1) Physical Evidence; (2) Eyewitness Reports (of Physical Evidence); (3) Conclusions of Sound Logical Arguments, arguments whose premises are verifiable (can be proven to be true), falsifiable (can be proven to be false), and verified true by physical evidence and relevant to their conclusions which are true if relevant to their premises and the premises are verified true (by physical evidence). The fundamental questions inre any religion: Q1: Do SNBs exist? A1: Yes: ___ (?); No: ___ (?) Q2: What proof do we have that SNBs exist? A2: _____ (?) Bible = Contradictions, historical & scientific inaccuracies, old myths - is no source of info inre SNBs.

editor UNITYINCHRIST.COM

April 04, 2013  3:20pm

Christopher Fitzgerald captured the essence of the article, while I detected no agape-love in Robert Puharic's comment. Without God's agape-love, aren't we all shallow?

robert puharic

April 04, 2013  2:44pm

A typically shallow essay that makes one wonder why Christians need to keep convincing themselves. Complete with "God of the gaps" ("Where did the Big Bang come from?", as if that's a new question.) Objective morality? Like the 19 centuries it took Christians to discover the Bible prohibited slavery, except when it didn't? The fact CT published this essay really shows that there's no 'there' there. There's nothing here to see, folks, move along. Each statement is an empty cliche. Even for those of us who are atheists, this is a disappointment. If you're a believer hoping to challenge your non-believing friends with this, don't bother.

Ian Gonsalves

April 04, 2013  2:30pm

I don't think many scientists would say that they "believe in" the big bang, instead they would most likely say that it's the best current explanation that fits the observation that the universe is expanding.

Christopher Fitzgerald

April 04, 2013  2:02pm

I enjoyed reading about your journey. What is amazing to me is that all of our journeys to God through Christ are basically the same. We come to the point of realizing He is and has light and we are in darkness without him. We must stay away from embellishing how smart we were, or thought we were, or think we are. When I look back on my conversion, I realize how my intellect, compared to the knowledge of an all knowing (not all learning) God is simply garbage. Regardless how we try to dress up or down our human intellect it is still much lower than the wisdom of God. God in his wisdom sent us a savior. WOW! This savior not only forgives sin but gives us power over sin. My favorite saying as of late is this: God through Christ has the power to break it!! We through the Spirit and faith process must be willing to forsake it!!! Forsake what? We must forsake all that separate us from God even if it is something we enjoy which often is the case but not always. Thanks for your story.

jonathan gallo

April 04, 2013  12:43pm

Thank you for sharing your story. I grew up in a Christian home but came to Christ at the University of Toronto through academic pursuit of the truth in a very similiar way...and yes, Veritas found me too!!!

Grady Walton

April 04, 2013  12:18pm

Great personal story about truth finding a sincere seeker. It is a good thing our salvation does not depend too much on our intellect. (Otherwise I'd be doomed.) I believe it has more to do with our conscience and persistence.

J Thomas

April 04, 2013  11:32am

Your testimony ministered to me today. Praise the God who patiently pursues!

ED STERRETT

April 04, 2013  11:19am

"Finding God at Harvard" is the best book of "testimonies" I've ever read. Should it be updated, this story should be included. Thanks for an honest and inspiring recount of your journey.

TIM RATLIFF RATLIFF

March 26, 2013  9:21am

Thanks for sharing your story. These “testimony” stories that CT have published are inspiring, convicting and insightful in the ways of faith and grace. As a Pastor, I have referred to these stories in messages. I am sharing this story this Sunday, Easter Sunday, because it is a story of resurrection life and the story refers to Easter by quoting, “I committed my life to Christ by being baptized on Easter Sunday.” Thanks for publishing honest and genuine stories, highlighting journeys of faith. Tim Ratliff www.linkedin.com/pub/tim-ratliff/59/254/b0/ Edit

Jim Ricker

March 06, 2013  7:49pm

Excellent article, thanks for sharing Jordan.

View this article in Reader Mode