Guest / Limited Access /

I don't know when I first became a skeptic. It must have been around age 4, when my mother found me arguing with another child at a birthday party: "But how do you know what the Bible says is true?" By age 11, my atheism was so widely known ...

Displaying 1–20 of 58 comments.

1 2 3 next page   Show All

MATT Wheeland

January 27, 2014  7:01pm

@Scott Milligan. It resolves the dilemma. God would not order a murder of your mother. Since he is goodness (the personification of all moral virtue), he cannot command something that will result in evil.

Pedro Barrento

October 29, 2013  2:00pm

For a totally different take on religion and on the Big Bang, may I suggest the book "The Prince and the Singularity - A Circular Tale"?

Nick Evanitsky

October 29, 2013  10:23am

Bee-autiful!

David Stern

October 26, 2013  4:28pm

I am confused by Ms. Monge's reasoning. Why is the Catholicism of Lemaitre material? Surely, she knows that the "Big Bang" can not be asserted as the Creation event. Many logicians can and have poked holes in all of the moral and metaphysical authors she lists. What does "rich" mean in the context of Apologetics? How does one quantify "rich", in contrasting the claims of theism vs. non- theism? She states:"I longed for the Bible to be true, but the intellectual evidence was still insufficient." If we were to hear this from a scientist "I so wanted Cold Fusion to be true...." we would doubt any following conclusions. In the end, what we have is another person who had an experiential conversion because of a desire to have a conversion. If Christianity were the only religion where this occurred, then there may be some validity to this evidence, but people are converted from one thing to another all the time, though they may describe it less articulately.

Oscar Ramirez

September 04, 2013  12:09am

"And who is there to harm you if you prove zealous for what is good? 14 But even if you should suffer for the sake of righteousness, you are blessed. And do not fear their intimidation, and do not be troubled, 15 but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence; 16 and keep a good conscience so that in the thing in which you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame. 17 For it is better, if God should will it so, that you suffer for doing what is right rather than for doing what is wrong." 1 Pet. 3:13-17 It's great to read about your coming to Christ Jordan, and I encourage you on your continued path. A path filled with joy, troubles, questions and all in between. The best part is you've found the Answer. Let that guide you the rest of the journey. Continue to walk by Faith and Hope. Blessings, Oscar

Scott Milligan

August 28, 2013  6:26pm

"God is not merely good, but goodness; goodness is not merely divine, but God." That doesn't resolve the Euthyphro dilemma. The assertion that God is goodness still means that he could ask me tomorrow to kill my mother and in his eyes it would still be good despite the fact that it is utterly ungood. The usual response to this is that we can't see how it would be good because we are unable to understand God's nature but the original claim above is a claim of knowledge of God's nature. If that was the first thing that sent her down the path to "God" then I'm glad I have a higher standard of evidence than she.

audrey ruth

April 24, 2013  1:55am

Andrew, in answer to your question, I can testify that I see the glorious, overcoming power and majesty of God throughout His Word as His indwelling Spirit guides me and teaches me, as Christ Jesus said He would do. The Holy Spirit opens up His Word to me and enables me to see the Lord as He really is, in power and might and glory. Mark 3:14 says of the twelve that Jesus called them that they might BE WITH Him, and it was out of that fellowship that their ministry of life-changing salvation, healing, and deliverance was birthed and empowered. The same is true of His people today: When we take the time to BE WITH Him, to experience the glory of Emmanuel -- GOD WITH US -- our spirit and soul and heart and mind are completely and forever changed, transformed, by His mighty power. (See Romans 12) That has been my experience, and I'm just one of many.

Andrew Macauley

April 17, 2013  10:51am

What if you can know more about the nature of the universe than you think, by understanding what omnipotence truly means? What if God, in being omnipotent, MUST be more powerful than He is usually described as being? I believe in Jesus Christ. I believe in the resurrection. But I also believe that God is not always represented correctly in the Bible, and this is why there is confusion. But I believe all of the pieces fit together, too, when you consider the true nature of God himself...

Randy Bella

April 14, 2013  3:29pm

The Opus Magnum a woman can give the Lord, church and society is a godly child. It depends on what you value. If you need a job outside of home to feel "validated," being home will not satisfy (assuming you can choose to stay home). In the past, societies had more in common, and bad influences over the family weren't so strong/constant as today. With the communications explosion and the indoctrination in public (and sometimes in private) schools, parents have an uphill battle today. What is being taught in virtually all schools and by most teachers today contradicts the ethics/moral views of the parents; so parents are being openly undermined. Now if both parents work, and also have some other church activities that separates them from their kids during the week, that leaves very little time for you to pass all the legacy you may have received from your parents—not enough to equip your kids for their future. Therefore, the best choice to improve our chances of raising godly children is with homeschooling, best done by mom. Studies show this yields the best overall outcome possible for our kids. You can become very academic with methods, subject contents, character development, instead of just going along with a particular curriculum. Your Ph.D. thesis is your godly, well-rounded Esther or Daniel--great for society. Notice that Esther became her great paradigm even while fulfilling a "wife billet." I challenge you all to listening to Pastor Voddie Baucham’s The Children of Caesar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L4dR-A5nj8 Also please watch the free movie IndoctriNation about how public schools (in most cases) are destroying your kids at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNs3rPoVCMU Kind regards.

audrey ruth

April 11, 2013  1:09am

"I came to Harvard seeking Veritas. Instead, he found me." Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. I can totally identify with her story. When we were yet sinners, He died for us. We love Him because He first loved us. The love of God will transform anyone's heart and life if they are open to His love.

John Denne

April 10, 2013  6:35pm

Excellent. Thank you

Sarah Shaver

April 10, 2013  12:45pm

yikes, people! can we not accept a sister's testimony for its beauty (and truth!) without criticizing her Latin? the angels are rejoicing in heaven that she is saved, yet you're wondering about feminine vs. masculine. and i'll tell you what else makes kittens cry - trolling websites and flaming writers just so you can make yourself feel like an intellect. bah. Jordan's testimony is hers alone. God reaches us where we are in ways that speak to our individual hearts and minds - and i am so thankful!

John Wright

April 10, 2013  10:07am

"I came to Harvard seeking Veritas. Instead, he found me." Veritas is a feminine noun. I find the author's use of a masculine pronoun to refer to "Veritas" rather jarring. I suppose the reference is to John 14:6 in the Vulgate, in which Jesus says "ego sum via et veritas et vita nemo venit ad Patrem nisi per me". That suggests that we glance at the Greek also, which says "ἐγὼ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή". Again, three feminine nouns, although ἡ ὁδὸς has a typically masculine ending. I would have appreciated more discussion of this matter!

Ronald Fischman

April 08, 2013  2:52pm

I am no theologian myself, although I am conversant with some of the apologetics that Ms. Monge dove into in her search to understand the feelings and emotional state that was emerging inside her. I call this sensation "reverence;" other ppeople might use other terms. This argument from reverence, which is often rebutted by the "Argument From Unfairness (AFU)" forms the core of all religion. Reverence will, in fact, lead the seeker into a thicket of possibilities as Ms. Monge expresses so eloquently, but again and again, the question of unfairness will rear its gnarled head. I like the words of Bryant Parsons, author of a new book called "Why Prof. Richard Schoenig should Quit his Day Job (GGIS Publishing, Philadelphia)." Parsons states simply and clearly that the part cannot understand the whole; thus the creation cannot comprehend its Creator. Ms. Monge expresses the heart of Christianity. Parsons defends the heart from attacks by the head.

Nancy Lee

April 08, 2013  10:33am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I continue to be amazed at a God who loves each of us uniquely -- no two conversion stories are the same, as He draws us to Himself in the way He designed us. I will be sharing this with a friend of mine who is in a crisis of faith . . . I just talked with her this morning, and came home to your story.

Pop Seal

April 07, 2013  9:03pm

The long suffering patience of God surely leads us to repentance and His salvation. 44 years ago I argued with friends for ten months before I too was chased down and tackled by Him Who loves me. One word from experience, don't mistake the 'work of God in churches, for an ongoing relationship with Him. The former wears you out and the latter builds you up. That's how you'll know if you're making the mistake.

sarah farrar

April 06, 2013  5:23pm

How deep the Father's love for us-- How vast beyond all measure-- That He would give His only Son-- To make a wretch His treasure-- How great the pain of searing loss-- The Father turns His face away-- As wounds which mar the chosen One-- Bring many sons to glory-- Behold the Man upon a cross-- My guilt upon His shoulders-- Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice-- Call out among the scoffers-- It was my sin that held Him there-- Until it was accomplished-- His dying breath has brought me life-- I know that it is finished-- I will not boast in anything-- No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom-- But I will boast in Jesus Christ-- His death and resurrection-- Why should I gain from His reward?-- I cannot give an answer-- But this I know with all my heart-- His wounds have paid my ransom-- --Stuart Townend ------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBVOuhl3CtI

Vacate Emotion

April 06, 2013  8:32am

It seems your intellectual investigation was very much biased by your emotions. Logic and critical thinking are properly performed devoid of emotional bias. Many statements illustrated emotions coloring your claimed skepticism. •This theme—of love as sacrifice for true good—struck me.>Emotional response. •The fact that I had failed to adhere to my own ethical standards filled me with deep regret.>Welcome to humanity. Regret that led to shame. •The Cross no longer looked merely like a symbol of love, but like the answer to an incurable need.>Your belief in God instilled thoughts causing shame, that luckily, God has the cure for your "need" which otherwise is "incurable." •If I wanted to continue forward in this investigation, I couldn't let it be just an intellectual journey.>How exactly did you convince yourself the journey described was solely intellectual? +In closing, obedience BEFORE truth? Whoever you obey, that is whose truth you will unquestioningly accept. Best of luck to you!

tony kiar

April 06, 2013  7:37am

The sign of Jonah is not heard with ears alone. It is heard with a person's heart as the message falls upon the ear. There are those who won't believe because they believe in everything else but His message. There are those won't believe because they believe in their own righteousness. There are those who won't believe because they haven't yet heard - their heart isn't ready yet. Our mission is His mission - to go and find the lost where ever they may be. If they have a heart for His message they will repent and be saved; ". . . for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation." (Romans 10:10)

jacob israel

April 06, 2013  5:57am

Some things just never change: "From the earliest ages of the catholic church a Christian people, whether in time of triumph or more especially in time of crisis, has addressed prayers of petition and hymns of praise and veneration to the Queen of Heaven." Ad caeli reginam 1 Pope Pius XII Note also the hymns, the Salve Regina and Ave Regina Caelorum. Jeremiah 44:25, 27 KJV 25 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, saying; Ye and your wives have both spoken with your mouths, and fulfilled with your hand, saying, We will surely perform our vows that we have vowed, to burn incense to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto her… 27 Behold, I will watch over them for evil, and not for good: and all the men of Judah that are in the land of Egypt shall be consumed by the sword and by the famine, until there be an end of them. It’s worth reading the whole of this chapter, followed by Galatians 1:8-9 and 1 Timothy 4:1-3

Displaying 1–20 of 58 comments.

1 2 3 next page   Show All