Guest / Limited Access /

Producer Mark Burnett has been responsible for some of the biggest hits of modern television, including Survivor, The Apprentice, and The Voice. His wife, Roma Downey, starred for ten years in the TV series Touched by an Angel. But they believe their ...

Laurie Marks Vincent

February 24, 2014  6:57am

Roma Downey -and her husband)is a woman of influence now in television. She comes from Roman Catholic roots but she has dabbled in new age since the show "Touched by an Angel" and studied it, graduating from a course called "Spiritual Psychology". It would be good to know if this is a genuine turn to the Christian faith for her and her husband. I noticed during the baptism of Jesus that there was no dove that ascended where other movies have clearly defined it. This is a very important statement about the deity of Christ. There were other little things in the movie too. I am cautious that she is leading others to an "incomplete" Gospel message, preaching "another Gospel" as scripture says, through the subtle omission of such details.

audrey ruth

March 10, 2013  10:43pm

After watching the first two episodes (last week and tonight), I was impressed with the way they showed Creation, and the part about Jericho. Other than that, not so much. Some events are presented in mishmash form which causes them to lose the powerful message we see in the Scriptures. Surely they could have done better than this. The original Ten Commandments, filmed way back in the '50s, which also did not show everything just right, still managed to depict those Biblical events more accurately. There is NO WAY anyone could possibly improve on the 'real deal'. I keep hoping somebody will show it just as it really happened.

audrey ruth

March 03, 2013  4:59pm

Luis De Avila

March 03, 2013  1:50pm

Audrey Ruth, Thanks for the info; I've not read anything else about this. It's almost unavoidable for that to happen in that Media simply because they're not in the business of Education or Information; they're in the business of Entertainment. Therefore is inevitable for Show business to do without including artistic interpretations. It should be expected and accepted, that’s their MODUS VIVENDI and MODUS OPERANDI. They’ve to make a profit or at least brake even in order to continue in business and the only way to do it is by including some Entertainment. I'll watch in spite of that, and then go back to the Bible and compare. I'm sure I'll enjoy watching!

Luis De Avila

March 02, 2013  9:45pm

Looking forward to watch this (no pun intended) series, but keeping in mind that is not being promoted as a Documentary or Investigative report. In his own words and I quote as stated in the article by Mr. Burnett: "This will be the defining visual artistic portrayal". That's where my caution starts to build up. When artistic portrayal is at play there will also be artistic expressions, interpretations, opinions and liberties taken. The artistic attributes are not usually there for Education or Information but mainly and mostly for entertainment purposes. Even Documentaries are still made for entertainment and the Investigative reports still do incorporate opinions. So there's often the question of Entertainment vs. Information. In any case I'll enjoy watching this.

Dave B.

March 02, 2013  6:53am

Are the angels, Jesus, Mary, Joseph and all the major characters be shown as Anglo-Saxon ("white") characters? It is so unfortunate that the popular 'Jesus' movie did just that, and shut out a lot of viewers who might have considered the Christian faith, if it were for the fact that the movie was presented as if God were made of Anglo-Saxon stuff only.

SHARON PRESSLEY

March 01, 2013  8:48pm

I pray this reaches lost and hungry souls looking for truth in a dark world. Thank you, Roma and Mark for shinging a light in the darkness with your effort to promote God's hope. My DVR is already set!

Duane D Watts

March 01, 2013  8:29pm

Thank you for this. I don't trust anything History or the Science/Discovery channels produce about the Bible or faith, but what Ms. Downey has said here sounds promising. :O)

Sunny Rebecca Lucas

February 28, 2013  7:24pm

I'm so excited for this new series! I've been craving good quality Christian entertainment & who better to play Mother Mary than the beautiful & graceful Miss Roma Downey? I loved you in Touched by an Angel & couldn't wait to see each new episode. I was very sad when the series ended & I am so happy to have you return to the small screen in such an important role. What a treasure and a blessing you are! And Mark Burnett, I have watched every episode of survivor & most episodes of your other productions too. You have changed the face of television, though your shows are not christian, they are not like the rest of todays media out there. I am so happy to learn that you are man of faith & that you & Roma have chosen to take on & create such a project like this that will literally reach millions of souls. My prayer is that this series will be a blessing to those who are saved and will impact those who are not to accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. God bless you both. Amen

Grady Walton

February 28, 2013  3:31pm

I eagerly look forward to this series and am glad it is on the History Channel. I’m just relieved it is not up against Gold Rush or Duck Dynasty. (Hey, don’t judge me.) Anyhow, our culture is increasingly enamored with entertainment and the church had better get onboard or we will always be preaching to a dwindling choir. I know many Christians think that infusing an element of entertainment into the gospel somehow cheapens the message. But high-quality productions that are also entertaining would reach a lot of folks who would never enter a church. Does anybody remember the vast audience reached by the Passion of the Christ? Granted, there are so many fictional entertainment options out there that an entertaining gospel message could get overlooked as just another genre. Still, I’d wager that most of the folks who read People magazine are not reading Christianity Today. There must be a way to reach at least some of those consumers. (Hey, perhaps we should promote Bible stories as reality TV.)

Gerry Slykhuis

February 28, 2013  3:02pm

Well said.

Robbin Blakely

February 28, 2013  3:01pm

It is about time that Christian Americans hear something that feeds our souls. I know the success of Mr. Burnett and was so happy to hear that he is also a man of God. We need this type of spiritual leader to connect the next generation of "entitlists" into becoming "believers"...and of course, Roma, is just so beautiful and graceful...just like a Christian woman should be! Wow I am so excited for this series. Don't let the media full you, Mr. Burnett and lovely Ms. Downey...there are thousands of faithful Christians out here that long for the Message of hope that only Jesus Christ can give. Thank you, thank you, thank you for taking a stand for our sovereign Lord!