Guest / Limited Access /

If you wanted to trace the roots of Christian hip-hop, I'd tell you all about dc Talk.

At age 13, following a Geoff Moore and the Distance concert, I stood up to commit myself to Jesus, despite the voice inside my head that said the boys in ...

T P

May 16, 2013  12:11pm

I miss DC Talk. I thought Colored People and Between You and Me were particularly thoughtful and thought-provoking songs that stand the test of time in both style and production. I still enjoy listening to DC Talk today and wish more current Christian artists were of their caliber.

Vic Christian

May 13, 2013  5:55pm

Audrey - I like your comments and I agree. This author seems to indicate that any method to entertain or supposedly reach the lost is acceptable to a Holy, Almighty God. Their evidence is a number of supposed conversions, or salvation experiences. I guess I had thought thyat the Word of God was sufficent, but I guess not.

audrey ruth

May 12, 2013  9:20am

IMHO, the "golden age of CCM" was in the late '70s/early '80s -- before Christian music became a business instead of a ministry, when artists sang out of love for God and people, with a strong anointing on them and the music, instead of desire for stardom, big bucks, etc. I remember well that Keith Green (you can hear some of his songs at YouTube) actually GAVE AWAY albums to people who simply wrote and asked for them. And there was a similar purity of motive and anointing when worship music first came to prominence in the late '80s/early '90s. Sometimes I hear Christian music like this today, but it has been becoming increasingly rare for quite some time. The great majority of what I hear on Christian radio stations these days is virtually indistinguishable from 'regular rock' on secular stations.

Christine Statham

May 12, 2013  1:35am

I so identify with you, Katelyn - right down to the ride home in the backseat. For me it was a Steven Curtis Chapman concert in 1995 and I was 15. When I got my first Bible I sat with the album liner notes and looked up all the Scripture references for each song on the Heaven in the Real World album. I'm still so grateful for what CCM and Christian radio did for me in those formative years.

Dan from Georgia

May 11, 2013  1:51am

Let's not forget some of the lesser-known "legacy" hip-hop artists such as D-Boy, SFC, Dynamic Twins, Stephen Wiley, and Apocalypse!

Tim Fall

May 10, 2013  3:22pm

Well said, Katelyn. DC Talk held the beach head, and the artists today are coming ashore and making new inroads. It's another great example of how God builds the kingdom from one generation to the next. Cheers, Tim ( timfall.wordpress.com )

Bob Bobo

May 10, 2013  11:40am

Katelyn, I still think that "Jesus Freak" is one of the best CCM albums of all time. And you're right it brought "hip hop" style into CCM. But, I roll my eyes when people atribute to much hip hop to DC Talk. Yes, for the middle class white christia kids who had no street cred and didn't listen to mostly rap/hip hop, DC talk bridged the gap. But when they sang "top of dat". I don't belive they actually talked like that as much as copying the "culture" it came from. Nothing wrong with that, but let get real here. Also, your "golden era" comment is subjective to your experience. My "golden" era was Larry Norman's album "upon this rock". The only truly CCM christian album on secular label..and he got kicked off cuase it was too christian. as well as Petra, Rez band, Amy Grant and others. I'm not taking anything away from your eperience as your "era" was linked to your coming to Jesus. Just as mine was. CCM hip hop comes from the Hip Hop artists, and Im glad to see that emerging.