Guest / Limited Access /

Just seven years ago, if someone had told me that I'd be writing for Christianity Today magazine about how I came to believe in God, I would have laughed out loud. If there was one thing in which I was completely secure, it was that I would never ...

Displaying 1–20 of 199 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  10 next page

CHUCK D'Simon

January 19, 2014  4:41pm

Thanks Kristen for sharing your personal life story which I read with huge enjoyment. Our PCA pastor Scott Brown told the congregation your story today & I looked up your article here to read the full extent of the testimony. I found a lot of resonance in your story with my own encounter with Christ in real life. I was raised in a legalistic religious environment with no personal encountering with the true God. In my teens I fell away for demand of evidence and effects of poor witness from people who identified themselves as religious. Later in my college years some of my close friends challenged me with belief in Christ to a relationship. As an iNtuitive Thinker type, all I needed to do was to seek the Truth, whatever that might be. I did encounter Jesus too in a vision, in broad daylight and the experience turned my world upside down and from that point on. I work in the space comm sector. Being a highly educated man in science only makes me appreciate God's science even more. PTL

audrey ruth

December 21, 2013  5:34pm

Jeyachandran Karunakaran, what a blessing it was to read your testimony! What a powerful story of God's love and power. It's wonderful to meet a brother in Christ who lives so far away. I agree with you that we should always keep ALL of God's Word in mind and not ignore anything He has said. I haven't seen anyone here "throwing stones" at Kirsten. Some have wondered if she still supports unGodly things since she has become a Christian, and I think that's a fair question. Yes, Jesus told the Pharisees to throw the first stone if they had not sinned. He also told the repentant adulteress to go and sin no more.

Jeyachandran Karunakaran

December 13, 2013  10:06pm

It is absolutely true that Homosexuality is an abomination in the sight of God!But so is adultery too! Adultery redefined by Jesus should place most of the "Jesus Loyalists" under the scanner! ( when you look at a woman with lust -YOU HAVE ALREADY COMMITTED THAT ACT!! TERRIBLE!! I find my self in that 'fallen' state many a times!) - Abortion is OUT RIGHT MURDER . NO DOUBT ! BUT JESUS the great ,loving, magnificent and MAGNANIMOUS JUDGE , sets the punishment for ANGER at the same level for a Murderer ! why on earth has He made such SO GROSSLY UN JUSTIFIABLE VERDICTS? ' I presume that it only to keep our mouths shut and simply Love every one and pray unceasingly that He be revealed through you and me just by THAT AMAZING LOVE THAT SAVED EVEN A WRETCH LIKE ME ! We are to Accept the aberrant thinkers , never to approve of the aberration. The story of the lady caught in the act (John.8 3-11) reveals that when He asks the sinless one to cast the first stone ALL THE ACCUSERS LEFT-NOW?!!!

Jeyachandran Karunakaran

December 13, 2013  9:33pm

Great news from a news caster! I am an Indian living in India miles away from you all, but I can not but marvel , how the Blood of Jesus unites us while the waters of oceans might separate us! I have crossed 70, but can identify with Kirsten in an instant- surrounded by umpteen faiths, I just could not digest that Jesus was the Only way, until I challenged Him straight and was humbled by His love and unable to escape from His all pursuing love IN SPITE of many of my short comings!! He has time and again endorsed the idea of not to be bound to ' living by rules' but to never to 'loose the relationship' and just let Him rule- then He sets the 'rules' that is always centered around harmonious relationship with every one that we encounter. I find it ssssoooo strange that many 'republicans' are so 'estranged'! The two masters Christ mentions is clearly that of God our creator (Master) and Money( the Material) - When Christ accepts some one what if even the whole world rejects us!!

audrey ruth

December 08, 2013  5:37am

J G, I'm not a fan of Fox News, but the Obama-worshiping "mainstream" media is the worst Faux News of all.

Terry Anderson

December 04, 2013  5:28pm

After reading the article I have to say that she sure found religion. Now even Jesus himself called the religious crowd whited Sepulchers full of dead men's bones. In her testimony she talked a lot about experience and feelings, but never once about how she realized that she was a sinner who deserved to go to hell and repented and confessed her sin by praying unto Jesus and asking him to forgive her sins all the while believing that Jesus is God who through the virgin birth came to earth and was crucified on the cross for the sins of the world and risen from the tomb to give eternal life. Another thing is suspect if she still thinks that homosexuality is acceptable which is an abomination to God, and only late term abortion is wrong which abortion is murder, and that marriage is just a religious institution instead of the fact that God himself instituted for all mankind and not have any conviction of the Holy Spirit saying these political views are totally against God and the Bible.

David E Beebe

December 04, 2013  12:18am

WOW, what a great story! The Lord can use this lady to bring others to Him. Praise God!

Greg Smith

December 03, 2013  10:33pm

And Audrey Ruth hits another homer. I always liked Kirsten and thought she was one of the saner Dems around, but I never saw anything that looked like of biblical fruits of salvation. Nothing would thrill me more. Time will tell, though six years IS a little while. Audrey's right ya know. A cool story does not make for a transformed life which is the evidence of being brought from death in sin to the holy risen Christ by itself. She will be in my prayers. I pray that the Lord HAS begun a good work in her that He will indeed bring to completion in the day of Christ Jesus. I always ask myself: "if this were just somebody in the neighborhood and not a celebrity, what would I think of their fruit?"

Jonathan B

December 03, 2013  12:53pm

Thank you Kirsten for your testimony! This shows how much He truly loves us and does not want to let anyone go. He is truly amazing in every way. I'm so happy for you Kirsten.

Susan Williams

December 03, 2013  12:05pm

With tears in my eyes, I am always blown away by the King of the Creation and how He alone transforms us! Thanks for the story! God bless you Kirsten for sharing your story.

audrey ruth

December 02, 2013  10:44pm

Yes, faith in Jesus is about just that - believing in Him. If believing in Him does not change our hearts, minds, and lives, do we really believe in Him? There is a real difference between mental assent and vital faith which transforms our lives from the inside out. The Lord says, "If anyone be in Christ Jesus, he is a new creation. Old things are passed away; behold, all things are new." The Democrat platform does unfortunately defy God at every turn, and Dems even booed God at the DNC last year. If anyone be in Christ Jesus, will he defy His definition of marriage? Will he defy Jesus on His view of children in the womb? Will he defy the Lord's definition of immorality, and His condemnation of it? These are real and valid questions which deserve consideration. I have older relatives who voted Dem for decades. They say they didn't leave the Dems; the Dems left them.

bill kaufmann

December 02, 2013  8:32pm

Kirsten, welcome to the "Family of God". So thankful you've accepted His Gift of Salvation, His Son, Jesus Christ. We Born Again Christians are not perfect....just forgiven :) Proud of you for writing the article and I'm sure you will encounter both positive & negative feedback.....Just stay close to HIM.

Brent Bridgeman

December 02, 2013  3:03pm

I guess my definition being a Christian would have to come from Jesus' mouth. I think John 3:16 might do. The only verb in there is "believes". I don't see "vote for", "don't do", "condemn them", or any other action in that verse whatsoever. There was a sect of Judaism a couple of thousand years ago that added a bunch of restrictions and rules to God's Word and were more concerned about how people acted than Whom they worshiped. Jesus tended to castigate them with invective descriptions such as vipers. And, of course there are "professing Christians" (although for the life of me, I can't see the advantage there), but it is not up to you, me, or any other person to try to make that judgement. We can judge a person's words by scripture, but the minute you claim you know their heart because of those words, you claim divinity.

Robert Delp

December 02, 2013  3:01pm

Welcome Home, Kirsten. I congratulate you on having to the courage to stand up and proclaim your faith in spite of the peer pressure you must feel. When can we get started in expanding your understanding of economics and related human behavior?

James Shearon

December 02, 2013  1:07pm

I find it interesting that Democrats can believe they are truely Christians. How can you support a political platform that promotes abortion (murder) and homsexuality and same sex marriage? God created marriage and defined it as being between one man and one woman. The Bible calls homosexuality an abomonation. I believe during the DNC they even tried to remove God from their platform. Sorry Kirsten. Your definition of Christianity does not line up with the Bible. As my pastor has said you can't be a sold out Christian and be a democrat. It's an oxymoron.

Anthony Theodore

December 02, 2013  10:58am

Kirsten, many of us have similar stories about finding Jesus. My friend went away on a business trip for several months. This guy was a "hell raiser". While he was gone he met a woman in her 70's. She invited him for dinner, and being polite, he accepted. She preached to him that night, and for some reason he agreed to meet her again. He met her many times over the trip. One night, he agreed to eat dinner with her but felt too sick to show. He called her, but she told him if he came over she "had something for him that might make him feel well again." During dinner, she laid hands on him and healed him (his words.) He told me about this experience when he got back; and if it had been ANYONE ELSE who would have told me this, I would not have believed it. Instead, I listened to my friend introduce me to Jesus and the Bible. I prayed my prayer of salvation with her on the phone. That was 1985. Jesus has worked many miracles in my life since then. Praise God.

Stephen Pekera

December 02, 2013  10:57am

Welcome Home Kirsten. Keep asking, seeking and knocking and Jesus will continue to reveal himself to you. God Bless.

Richard Michael

December 02, 2013  7:28am

Err, sad to see a number of Americans on here putting politics before faith. We are citizens of an eternal Kingdom first and I can assure you there will be no Republican / Democrat separation in heaven, so how about growing up and praising God for a wonderful testimony and call of God on this lady's life. Great testimony. Thank you.

John Gentile

December 02, 2013  7:17am

Welcome home, Kirsten.

Karl Woods

December 02, 2013  1:39am

Great article! Kirsten, you have the makings of a best selling book. Expand this testimony to about 300 to 400 pages, and imagine the joy of pushing Bill O'Reilly out of the Number One spot on the bestseller list like Charles K did! Your whole story can easily be several hundred pages long, for example: Tell us more about when Jesus came to you and said, “Here I am.” Those three words are in the Bible at Revelation 3:20: “Here I am! I stand at the door and knock.” That has to be a whole chapter or more—please, describe all of your feelings. Did you get back with you Christian boyfriend? How do you parents, family, and friends feel today? Tell us more about how the “Hound of Heaven” pursued you and caught you! (“Hound of Heaven”—Shakespeare could not have beaten your imagery or written that better!) Details, details, and more details. Finally, imagine how your journey can impact others on all sides of the aisle. Thank you.

Displaying 1–20 of 199 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  10 next page