Guest / Limited Access /

The chicken de-featherer is nothing short of a marvel. It's a 55-gallon drum lined with rubber fingers and a motorized, spinning floor that keeps chickens tumbling in the drum. The first time I watch Steve Montgomery lower two dead birds into ...

Displaying 1–12 of 12 comments.

1    Show All

Melissa Otterbein

January 08, 2014  11:05am

This is absolutely appalling to me. As Christians, we have sorely missed the point of the gospel if we feel the need to kill living creatures in order to show who Jesus is. http://melissaotterbein.wordpress.com/2014/01/08/chickens-snow-days-ubuntu- what-clucking-hens-taught-me-about-love-attachment/

Allen Anderson

December 04, 2013  6:02pm

The author refers to "slaughter as God intended it", and while God does make provision for the slaughter of (certain) animals, in Leviticus and Deuteronomy, it's clear from the Bible that neither system represents His ideal for humans. In Genesis 1, for instance, God makes mankind in His image, giving them dominion, and a vegetarian diet (Gen 1:29). In Genesis 2:18-19 we are given a glimpse into his original purposes in creating animals: “Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner.” So out of the ground the Lord God formed every animal of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name” Animals we unequivocally NOT created by God to be food for us, but seem to have been meant as our companions (albeit no substitute for human friendship). Meat is only reluctantly granted to man after sin enters the world.

audrey ruth

December 01, 2013  3:34am

My parents grew up poor and often had to wring the necks of chickens before plucking their feathers by hand so their moms could cook them for dinner. But they never thought such work was "good for the soul". They were thrilled when they didn't have to do it anymore. To me there is something not-right about doing this for pleasure. :O

Katrelya Angus

November 30, 2013  7:36pm

There is only one way in which killing a chicken or any other animal can benefit one's soul is to simply avoid doing so.

Dan Johnson

November 30, 2013  1:45am

It has been some years since I've seen CT and this was the first article I read when checking back in. So killing an animal with bare hands is good for the soul. The author is summoning us to enjoy "slaughter as God intended." In fact, animal killing is so entertaining, we should post it to Vine and exploit it for its entertainment value. Modern humans (mammals) have been on earth for more than 200,000 years and the world has been a pretty brutal place for most of those years. Writers like this have obviously not stayed current with brain studies of sentience. Chickens have a form of consciousness (though not self awareness). The "getting back to nature" movement is healthy (and trendy), but the tone of this piece makes it clear that Xianity (or at least the CT brand) is increasingly only marketed to the very conservative and very literal thinkers among us.

Dessie T

November 29, 2013  9:26pm

Christine, I just don't get how killing and processing chickens was one of your favorite moments. Maybe it's because of how you grew up. But, personally, that would have damaged me as a child. And having taught kindergarten, I can tell you with conviction that most kids don't want to hurt any animals... unless they're future sociopaths (I am not comparing you to a sociopath at all:-). Yes, I'm grateful for the "back to the land" philosophy that's gaining a foot hold in America and its "better treatment for animals" ethos. Sacrifice is often more than uncomfortable; actually, it can be pretty horrific. I just can't imagine it being something enjoyable. I've always been an animal lover... chicken, cows, goats, dogs, cats, ducks, etc. To me, an animal is an animal is an animal. They all suffer pain. As they say, "some we call pets, others we call food."

Christine Thomas

November 29, 2013  7:48pm

I'm also a little stumped by the "good for the soul" thing, but I totally understand how knowing the process changes how we appreciate the good gifts of God's provision. Growing up on our family farm, the killing and processing of roughly 100 chickens on a Saturday morning is one of my favorite memories. My grandparents, parents, nine siblings, 2 aunts, 2 uncles and 7 cousins gathered to do the work. The same group gathered regularly to milk the cows, put in the hay, plant the garden, harvest the crop, clear the fields etc. It was how we lived and I don't begrudge anyone wanting to get "back" to the kind of clean healthy food we grew up on. Meat is made for human consumption. I'm afraid vegans have no more points with God than anyone else. We are not "Christian" by what we eat or drink, but because of the cruel and bloody suffering of Christ crucified. By his blood our relationship with God is healed, our redemption completed. There is power in the blood. Sacrifice is uncomfortable.

Frank Keefe

November 29, 2013  7:53am

I wonder because Im a Brit I find this whole thing a complete joke....of course chickens are killed and most people eat them but good for the soul give me a break.

Crab Grass

November 27, 2013  10:51am

re "Would You Kill a Chicken with Your Bare Hands?Lamppost Farm says it may be good for your soul." How HUMANE is this for the chicken? If it's cruel, causes pain or undue stress on the animal, then NO. Christians should show as much concern for animal pain and abuse as they do for orphans in Africa. To show more concern over human pain and none for animal pain is hypocritical and unchristian.

Dessie T

November 26, 2013  10:15pm

Personally, I don't consider hanging an animal upside down, electrocuting it and slicing its neck open (particularly if it doesn't work) a dignified death.

Betty Rivera

November 22, 2013  11:04pm

This was so good. I grew up in Texas where chickens were raised in the backyard. My mom could wring a chicken's neck in no time flat. Probably was not as humane as slitting the throat with an elec. shock knife but chicken born, raised and fed at home tastes so much better than the store-bought ones. I really missed out when moving around the country with an AF husband and now at 83 I wish I had some chickens in the backyard but alas taking care of them might be too taxing. I will thank God, however, for grocery-store chickens as well as daily bread.

Jim Ricker

October 26, 2013  4:55pm

Yes. When you kill your own food, you not only appreciate it but the experience helps you to realize the gravity of the situation.

Displaying 1–12 of 12 comments.

1    Show All