Guest / Limited Access /

Between 10,000 and 2 million years ago, during an earlier global warming, glaciers moved through a mountain of granite nearly 9,000 feet above sea level, carving wonders through what is now Yosemite Valley in central California. Among the glaciers' ...

Displaying 1–12 of 12 comments.

1    Show All

mj Del Greco

January 15, 2014  9:57am

Hi! I am totally in Awe of how mighty and Powerful our God is! Sometimes I don't think people stop and think How Powerful our God is, and how serious He is and Real. Here in Toronto Canada we have tourist spot called " Niagara Falls. This falls is very Power full yet breath taking. Human formed a fence before this falls, I have heard that many died on accident and some use it as a suicidal tools. however, I had a chance to come closer to this powerful falls, as close as I get, I smiled with fear and Awe and thinking that This is GOD'S BREATHE! and it's a beautiful creations stood before Men to display the Lord's Power and God ness! If God is for us, then who can be against us? No one! because the God that created this Beautiful and Majestic falls is the God that Love us. Isn't that Amazing!!! I saw this falls many times and had come close to it, however only the last time I really stop and think. God's Breathe that come to life, His Power is display!

Carlos Ramirez Trevino

January 05, 2014  8:29am

It is interesting to note the opening reference to the Days of Creation in the article. Clearly, Genesis 1 cannot be taken as literally as it has been. There is in Genesis an undeniable element of poetic imagery, of allegory, metaphor, and story telling. In Hebrews 4 Paul unequivocally argues that the 7th Day of Creation is still ongoing. We are still in the 7th Day of God's Rest. Geology, archeology, physics, biology, logic, and common sense all argue in favor of a more realistic interpretation of Genesis 1 and 2. But the notion that God created through evolution overlooks the fact that God created with a specific purpose. Evolution lets nature take control of what God is designing for a specific purpose. If evolution controls the environment, there can be no objective, no design. God didn't just initiate the process of life for it to develop into whatever it developed into. He actually breathed life into man. But why did God create man? Man was created in the likeness of God so that Christ could have a body through which to eradicate corruption and establish righteousness for all eternity (Heb10:5 and Daniel 9:24). There is no conflict or contradiction in acceptance of the fact that God’s complex and magnificent creation didn’t take place in only six 24 hour days. But for those that argue otherwise we might ask, “What took Him so long?” Consequently, if God could take more than a second, why couldn’t He have taken 15 billion years?

Carlos Ramirez Trevino

January 05, 2014  7:56am

This is a good article that brings something powerful to light. Isaiah feared the Lord because he was unclean. When we approach God or rather He approaches us, it is inevitable that we see Him in contrast to our failures, our shortcomings, and our deliberate sin and disobedience. His holy, pure and perfect presence makes us instantly aware of our filth; we are corrupt, sinful, and unclean. Anyone who has had to go before a judge knows that fear, real palpable knee trembling fear, is an inevitable consequence of just being in that presence. Only fools dare enter the courtroom with head high, a display of arrogance, and disrespectfully disdainful. But the wise know better. The wise know that fear and respect go hand in hand. The wise fear because they know that the judge holds the balance of their lives in his gavel. Fools are ignorant and don't understand the severity of their transgression. I have a friend that argues that as Christians we should not fear God. Perhaps he is right. But as for me, my shame is too great, even in light of His forgiveness, not to approach His throne fully aware of my infractions. Yes, Christ has washed and cleansed me with His blood, His death on the Cross, His victory over death, and His resurrection; but I can’t treat Him like my buddy, an old friend or just another guy. Those that are overly confident may not fear a slip and fall from the face of Half dome, but the wise tread carefully.

Gary Brennan

December 26, 2013  6:39pm

A well written article. As I read the text I felt the breath taking awe of some of God's created wonders I have seen. Approaching the edge of the glacier was a wonderful analogy for that special sense of fear we feel when we witness God at work around us. It is both fearsome and wonderful all at once.

Oun Kwon

November 19, 2013  9:05pm

'Fear of the Lord' is a mistranslated in church jargon and misleads what the Scripture says. It is to 'revere'. "To revere the name of YHWH is the beginning of the wisdom."

BERNIE KOPFER

November 15, 2013  8:40am

If I were to substitute some version of 'scared' or 'be afraid' for the word 'fear' in this article the God who ends up being portrayed would not be much different than any of the ancient gods needing appeasement because they were angry with us humans. Galli could have had the courtesy to state how being afraid of God would work out in day to day living. How does being scared of God influence my interactions with other people and mostly, how do I love Someone who frightens me? CT might do Christianity the kindness of printing a article about how being in love with a God who calls us to be friends with Him frees us from the childish notion that fear is healthy and spiritualy growth enhancing. How often the first words spoken to man in a encounter with the divine were "be not afraid". Why? Because we cannot love what we are afraid of, but we can obey it. Was this the point Mark Galli was obliquely trying to make?

Lee Hall

November 10, 2013  10:32pm

Dear Mr. Farris, I really want to ask you if you are joking when you remonstrate the author for using the word "bejeebers" in this article? Please, please just say you were joking. I can't imagine what world you live in where you think you will "set a bad example" if you post the article on your Facebook page because of this word. I'm sorry, and I am sure I have offended you, but will you please just consider if you don't sound like the Pharisees Jesus rebukes for tithing their mint and coriander while neglecting the weightier matters of the law?

n t

November 10, 2013  1:31pm

Beautiful article!

Rick Dalbey

November 08, 2013  2:22pm

Wonderful article. All true. Yet we might balance it with the most incredible news that “You have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God” and "Moses himself was so frightened...he said, “I am terrified and trembling.”But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to countless thousands of angels in a joyful gathering. You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect. You have come to Jesus, the one who mediates the new covenant between God and people, and to the sprinkled blood, which speaks of forgiveness instead of crying out for vengeance" Both true! Papa is awesome!

Don Shaver

November 08, 2013  2:20pm

Thank you for this article. I am currently watching the 1985 R C Sproul "Holiness of God" series. I am struck with the glorious God that we have and the position we have in Him. A position of Holiness whereby we may approach El Shaddai and call Him Abba. To live in the freedom and power of knowing that "There is therefore no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." (Romans 8:1) The freedom, power and privilege to be His witnesses here on earth. O how marvellous!

Lyn Brown Farris

November 08, 2013  1:39pm

I loved this article, but must say I was startled by the use of the word 'bejeebers' ("...he has scared the bejeebers out of them"). Although, this word is used in place of a 4 letter obscenity, I believe it derives from 'bejesus', which in turn derives from the idea that we should 'be Jesus to others and see Jesus in others'. I've always believed that 'fearing God and keeping His commandments' includes respecting His name, including the name of Jesus. I'd love to 'share' the article on FB, but hesitate because I don't want to set that kind of example. I totally agree, though, that we need a better understanding of 'fearing God'. Thank you.

Paul McCain

November 08, 2013  1:00pm

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" .... note particularly the word "beginning." For you see the fear of the Lord is a result of our sinful condition in which we tremble in dread at the Holy One. But it is in the face of WISDOM incarnate that we come to know God as He wishes to be known: as our loving Heavenly Father who pours out His love on us through Jesus Christ, our dear Lord and Savior.

Displaying 1–12 of 12 comments.

1    Show All