Guest / Limited Access /

Each October, a half-million visitors invade Salem, Massachusetts. During the month-long Halloween festival, our little city of 40,000 gets overtaken by an eclectic whirlwind of costumes, families, partiers, and occult practitioners from around the ...

Displaying 1–20 of 117 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  6 next page

audrey ruth

December 03, 2013  12:51am

Good tip, Lois. I looked it up and my concerns were confirmed. Phil Wyman says himself that he is not out to convert witches and Wiccans (his big unChristian supporter in Salem says he is a witch, not a Wiccan). Since he is not out to convert them, where does that leave them? On their way to the Lake of Fire which they mock in song. God tells us that He is not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance. But there is no record here, nor in Phil Wyman's comments I found elsewhere, that any witches, warlocks, or pagans are called to repent of evil and renounce the way of darkness.

Lois Tamara

November 29, 2013  3:49pm

People, people people...do your homework on Phil Wyman. You are missing the well-documented forest for the trees on this character and what his "ministry" is all about.

audrey ruth

November 25, 2013  11:55pm

Good grief, Matt, how did you miss the reality of what I actually said? I used the word "typically" because I HAVE seen so many situations where extra-Biblical things are done in the guise of the Holy Spirit. In many (and my experience, most) cases, the spirits at work are not the Holy Spirit. I haven't heard of Audrey Harper, so I haven't read anything she's written. The people I mentioned who signed contracts with Satan in a mixture of their blood and urine lived in something close to hell on earth while they were in that bondage. They got the "benefits" of those contracts, but the horrific consequences weren't worth it. This Salem/Halloween circus may not be actively attended by real witches and warlocks, except for those who are quietly scoping out possible recruits. I praise God for anyone who is sent there by the Holy Spirit, who speaks the truth in love, as wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove. I just didn't see anything here about calls to repentance.

Matt Arnold

November 24, 2013  4:12am

Goodness? Who is good? The Good Samaritan - one who broke down religious barriers and crossed over them to help someone in need. Jesus - who moved into the neighbourhood, as these people have done, living alongside the community to be there for them. Contrast the bussed in "fire and forget / in your face / scream until you're foaming" type preachers who attempt to steal the long work being done in this community with their inappropriate methods... Faithfulness? A ministry that's taken years of work, that's taken a willingness to walk outside of the traditional bounds of Christianity and step in faith with the leading of the Holy Spirit to speak to those who don't know Christ or have a wrong view due to bullhorners who are so faithful they only turn up at Halloween parties... Gentleness? Speaking the truth in love takes gentleness, not the brash bullhorner attitude which is in no way gentle!... Self control? It takes a lot to avoid total syncretism, which I pray these guys hold on to.

Matt Arnold

November 24, 2013  4:07am

Let's see what fruits of the Spirit are in this missional attempt: Love? It takes love to go to a people not your own, to learn their language and to reach out to them in ways that don't instantly put their backs up. Unlike the bullhorn preachers...Joy? There is a great amount of joy in their words from what I've read - unlike the false joy of the bullhorner shouting hellfire, damnation and calling them whores etc... Peace? This is a work of peace making, building bridges and attempting to speak peace into their lives, unlike the "peace"ful noise of the bullhorner... Patience? It's a long journey to travel with some people - years at times, unlike the patience shown here with the removal of Kelly's posts, unlike the patience of doing an altar call via a bullhorn expecting instant results (a Western impatience I call "the Instant Coffee Missionary")... Kindness? These people making themselves available with more than just shouting - their time. What is kind in calling someone a whore?..

Matt Arnold

November 24, 2013  2:20am

For Audrey and Marilyn on here, and anyone else interested in this sort of thing and who have an open mind to how good may be speaking to people where they are at, can I recommend the following books? "Beyond the Burning Times" by Johnson et al "Dawning of the Pagan Moon" by David Burnett "Mission Shaped Evangelism" by Steve Hollinghurst These are Christian books which are appropriate to missiology in these contexts. Avoid books by Audrey Harper as they contain many falsehoods which have been proved so. The trouble is that the publisher makes much money from them (this joining in bearing false witness). A quick trip to Amazon shows them inexpensive at the moment. Open your eyes and heart to the Spirit and pray for discernment and the truth to be revealed.

Matt Arnold

November 24, 2013  2:13am

Re signing contracts with Satan in blood.... What were the details of the contract? If it is one of those 'I sold my soul to the devil' contacts, the Bible specifically states that all life belongs to God and that we as the clay are not our own. So we don't own our souls to be able to give away. Such a 'contract' isn't valid and is purely either sensationalist or based n ignorance which binds. I regularly meet witches who don't dress up as you describe and they are generally private about their faith because they don't want to be persecuted by ignorant people. Much like Christians in China. Re infiltration in the church - some examples would be good to back up your argument as I've heard this before and never been able to find any substance to it. Please supply one to analyse. All the trouble in the churches I know is caused by Christians who think they know best and laud it over others in a power mania. I have experienced crucifixion by Christians many times when showing them up.

Matt Arnold

November 24, 2013  2:01am

Ok, so rather than just chunter on, I thought I'd learn something and did some research Re. Point 1- have you read the lyrics for the Nirvana "Lake of Fire" song? I'm thinking you might actually agree with the lyrics tbh. The lake of fire is mentioned in Rev, so I believe you could say it's a Godly concept after all. Check it out in the Bible. The song is by the Meat Puppets originally. Lots of people have written much worse songs lyrically and have not committed suicide so I'm not sure your argument holds much water. If you are to argue effectively against something, you need to study logic and rhetoric so you won't come unstuck and so make your cause look bad I'm afraid. 2 - dream interpretation isn't a gift of the Holy Spirit, but it's a biblically documented gift. You use the word 'typically', which means you don't have first hand experience of these people's work, so is it right to condemn what you don't know? I think not. 'I wonder...' again you argue based on ignorance :(

audrey ruth

November 21, 2013  11:43pm

Matt, here are two big concerns: 1) The "sing-a-long about the Lake of Fire" (the author's words) mentioned in the next to last paragraph on page 3. The referenced song is said to be by Nirvana, which is named for a totally unGodly concept. Why would anyone celebrate the Lake of Fire? That's the kind of stuff Nirvana has always done, and it's why Kurt Cobain's life was so wasted and ended as it did. This doesn't sound like people who are "in the world but not of it". 2) I believe in the gifts of the Holy Spirit, but dream interpretation is not listed as a gift of the Spirit. I have seen such things operate in churches. Typically, the words which are given are sweetness and light** without balancing calls for repentance such as the Lord gave through Joseph and Daniel. **I wonder if the "psalm readings" are like this too. I hope not. The overall tone sounds like this fits right in with the shenanigans which celebrate the kingdom of darkness at Salem each Halloween.

audrey ruth

November 21, 2013  11:29pm

Matt, the witches and warlocks I referenced had signed contracts with Satan in a mixture of their own blood and urine. I'm not talking about people who like to dress up and show up at Salem at Halloween; I seriously doubt that a lot of them have made that level of commitment. The ones I know who lived this way before they were delivered out of that nefarious kingdom into God's marvelous light by the power of Jesus Christ never did such things; they were very secretive and their covens' activities were very secretive. They were typically highly-educated, held regular jobs, outwardly lived regular lives, and they did not go around drawing attention to themselves. They were so secretive, they were able to infiltrate churches and wreak havoc among leadership and throughout churches as well. This does not mean that people who've made 'lesser' commitments don't need the Lord, of course. Many of them don't even realize they're serving Satan. Even if they don't, the oppression is there.

Matt Arnold

November 21, 2013  7:59am

Audrey, I use a Samsung S3 mini to access the Internet, so my screen size is very small, and I'm reading in about 2pt font, so find it very difficult to read through the over 100 posts on here. Is it possible you could bullet point them so I have a clearer idea rather than remain in the dark on this issue. I do hope this reasonable request isn't deleted and / or ignored. As someone who works alongside real pagans (witches, druids and Asatru) as the hands, feet and mouth of Christ in the UK, I often experience hostility from Christians who misunderstand missiology and say all sorts of horrible, accusatory and false things about me, simply because I go where the Spirit leads me. I meet Christians who say they were into witchcraft but when you drill down into what they were involved with, many of them weren't, they just liked to make up stories (which when checked were proved false), so I test Christian testimonies out thoroughly. We are not to bear false witness in testimonies.

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  8:25pm

Back on topic: Whether witches and warlocks realize they are serving Satan or not (some do), the Word of God is clear. Any ignorance on their part does not change the fact. The Lord says the devil has blinded the eyes of unbelievers, witches or not. Should we take Him at His Word, or do we make up our own 'truth' as we go along? Jesus was revealed from heaven for this very purpose, that He might destroy ALL the works of the devil. Many times people chastise Christians for speaking Truth by telling them to love. However, God's love and truth cannot be divorced. Mercy and truth kissed in Christ Jesus. He loved and loves more than any human - He IS love - and not even once did He ever compromise Truth. He said, "If you continue in My Word, you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." He told us, "Speak the truth in love." Love without truth is not God's love. It is a pale imitation which leads to spiritual ruin. He specifically tells us NOT to engage in spiritual darkness.

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  4:48pm

Matt, my comment about unfruitful works of darkness was not about dream interpretation, per se (although I do have valid concerns about that). If you read my earlier comments, you'll see my concerns. That would be quicker than me having to copy and paste them again.

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  4:46pm

Matt, was that written to me? Because I could have written every word of it - except your assertion that "most Christians reject" such people. I've never been part of a church that rejected anybody. The primary teaching has been that God is not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance. And believers have put feet to that belief.

Matt Arnold

November 20, 2013  4:42pm

Audrey, what participation in works of darkness are you saying these people participate in? I am confused? If it's dream interpretation - I hardly think that's a work of darkness. Are you a cessationist?

Matt Arnold

November 20, 2013  4:37pm

... Have been made clean on the inside only need a wash on the outside. What Jesus is telling us is actually to GO into the highways, byways, places where people are at, both physically and spiritually, to travel ALONGSIDE them as Jesus did with Emmaus Road. What if Jesus is saying to go to those who he is drawing to himself (because when he was lifted up he would draw all unto himself). What if those who claim to follow Christ refuse to go into ALL the world but remain separate and keep their "salt" in their cellar? What if God is speaking to people where they are at in ways they are accustomed to (eg the astrologers were led by conjunctions in the heavenly bodies - a language they were used to), but some Christians who can't get their head around it try and quench the fire of the Spirit in those who try to follow the Spirit into these places where people are, speaking their language? Surely we should rejoice there are people skilled in reaching a people most Christians reject?

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  4:36pm

Kelly, I am familiar with those scriptures. You had earlier mentioned a gift of dream INTERPRETATION, not God speaking directly to people in dreams. I've only seen God giving interpretations of other people's dreams to Joseph and Daniel. His purpose was to challenge unbelievers to recognize Him as God and submit their lives to Him. One of the issues I have with things like this (I've witnessed these things in churches) is that people DO invariably only give out words of sweetness and light - love without truth, which is not God's love.

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  4:30pm

Matt, there is a difference between innate gifts such as you listed, and the gifts of the Spirit. Unbelievers have natural gifts and talents. The Holy Spirit is only given to those who receive Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord. The gifts of the Spirit issue forth from Him, are gifts to His children for the purpose of ministry. I haven't seen anyone here say it is wrong to befriend someone who is not a believer. Jesus DID do this, constantly. But He did not participate in unfruitful works of darkness. I believe this is what He meant by being "as wise as serpents and as harmless as doves".

Matt Arnold

November 20, 2013  4:24pm

God gives gifts without repentance - even unbelievers are given gifts by the Holy Spirit! Is being able to program a computer website a gift? Yes. Who gives that gift? God. Is the Holy Spirit God? Yes Is programming a computer a gift of God? Yes Is programming a computer a gift of the Spirit? Yes Is programming a computer a gift mentioned in Scripture? No. Therefore are the gifts of the Spirit only limited to a list in Scripture, with no opportunity for expansion as time passes? No. Scripture is the base line we use to live by. But that doesn't mean we are to switch or brains of and fail to think things logically through (logic is a gift of the Spirit). What I find sad is that people are frowned on for being a friend to those who walk a different path to the Christ path. Surely the fact Jesus moved into the neighbourhood and made himself a little lower than the angels, associating with prostitutes, drunkards, "sinners", etc, along with telling us that those who...

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  2:16pm

No lectures here. Just scriptures which express my thoughts and concerns. God bless everyone.

Displaying 1–20 of 117 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  6 next page