Guest / Limited Access /

Super Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines as one of most powerful typhoons or hurricane recorded in history. As church leaders and members watch the events of the storm unfold, many are likely asking themselves how they can help.

In my academic research ...

Displaying 1–6 of 6 comments.

1    Show All

Wendy Hammond

November 18, 2013  3:00pm

Great article! Organizations such as those you mentioned are often partners with World Renew (worldrenew.net) and people are surprised to find that many NGOs work together in affected areas through alliances, enabling aid to be coordinated efficiently. It's an important reminder to not be a lone ranger.

Sheila

November 15, 2013  2:24pm

This is a great article. I volunteer on the board of a Christian World Relief organization and I would love to share this post on our website with our church members...unfortunately, our website doesn't have the capability to link to other websites. Could I have permission to copy and paste it if we add the disclaimer telling where the article originated?

audrey ruth

November 12, 2013  8:05pm

I found this Disaster Relief webpage at the Bob Tebow Evangelistic Association website: http://www.btea.org/philippinesdisasterrelief.asp

audrey ruth

November 12, 2013  8:00pm

A colleague of mine knows Bob and Pam Tebow (Tim Tebow's parents) who lived in the Philippines for years as missionaries (where Tim was born) and have ministries there now, including orphanages. My colleague said the Tebows' organization was preparing and mobilizing for this storm's aftermath before it even hit. I don't have contact information for that organization, but maybe someone else will. I do know that Samaritan's Purse (administered by Franklin Graham) is usually organized and on the ground very shortly after such storms.

Geoff Smart

November 09, 2013  2:25am

I would like to add my support to this article. I volunteer at a Mobile Library serving Primary Schools in the township areas around Benoni in South Africa. Townships are the formerly black only areas in South Africa and are still very poorly resourced, plus English is often the third language spoken. People give us a whole range of books because we are a 'Library' but these are not books we can use so we then have to put in wasted effort to dispose of them. As you so strongly say, "Ask us what books we want and then get them for us" would work so much better all round.

Paul Godwin

November 08, 2013  6:07pm

Thanks for the thoughtfully presented guidelines. As in so many endeavors, confident ignorance often leads to more hurt than help. As part of a small team that served in the tsunami-devastated region of northeastern Japan in 2011, it was vital that we were shepherded by the cooperation of our sending agency, Converge Worldwide, and Samaritan's Purse, that had relief coordination personnel and facilities in place. They organized the living arrangements and the work assignments for volunteer teams. Teams were informed in advance of what to bring, what not to bring; what to do, what not to do. The churches of northeastern have been Japan cooperating together and they continue to minister to their communities. The goodwill and trust built among these churches and communities--in part a result of volunteer teams working effectively alongside--has been a positive outcome.

Displaying 1–6 of 6 comments.

1    Show All