Guest / Limited Access /

If you're a faithful reader of Christianity Today (and if so, thank you!), you'll have noticed that our magazine looks a little different from the version that arrived in your mailbox this time last year. So it's fitting that our annual book ...

Displaying 1–8 of 8 comments.

1    Show All

Dan Bartol

January 19, 2014  5:08pm

It's kind of incredible to see a post-modern anti-apologetics book being given the award of merit for apologetics. In "The end of Apologetics," Myron Penner wars against the combative nature of the use of reason in defending the Christian worldview, calling it modernism (where did Penner go to school?), making audacious claims against modern apologists, while failing to give a reason for why he believes his position. It's like playing the post-modern card immediately gives you license to be a jerk and remain unaccountable.

Hal Sanders

December 20, 2013  3:52pm

After reading this article, one thing stands out -- the dearth of quality Christian fiction. I'm a relatively heavy reader. (According to the Goodreads site I've read 110 books this year.) But unless one is interested in the end times, stories about the Amish, or sappy romance with a Christian twist, there is relatively little to read. We have a wide choice of book studies, theological discourses, devotionals, but that isn't enough to satisfy the interests of a reader of Christian literature. (Rant over) But I am interested in how many Christian novels, CT looked at in compiling this list.

Max Kuecker

December 18, 2013  9:46pm

In addition to the observation of how few female authors, I was surprised to see that in the year 2013, only one book was written by a non-White - and even that was co-authored with a White man. Did people from other ethnic backgrounds really not write anything worthy of being on a list of the top Christian 22 books of the year? As a White man, I really need the perspectives of people not like me in order to learn what I am not seeing about God & His children.

Hannah N.

December 16, 2013  2:39pm

I second Julia's comment and would like to add that Amy Simpson's book is excellent and very deserving.

Julia Duin

December 13, 2013  11:31am

Of the 22 books listed, only 4 are by women. And of those 4, 2 of them are fiction. It is the same pattern every year with CT; books by women on more serious, theological topics go by the wayside. I am not criticizing the authors you did list, but surely CT can work harder at something that reflects work done by the other 50% of the population.

Adam Shields

December 13, 2013  7:03am

Byron, I assume that CT like most everyone else on the web links to Amazon for two reasons. One, it is available for almost everyone in the world (unlike any local independent book store). And two, because Amazon pays referers a percentage of any sales. I am a book blogger and 90% of the income my blog generates is from Amazon referral payments.

Byron Borger

December 13, 2013  12:07am

So many good books and remarkable authors, and so much to think about. Thanks! Something not about the choice of books, though, but of interest to book and bookstore lovers: what's with the amazon links? Really? To favor one retailer (who does not care about CT or our authors and is known as controversial, at best) is odd and, to me, an indie bookseller, breathtakingly disappointing. Or am I missing something, like a formal financial relationship there?

editor UNITYINCHRIST.COM

December 12, 2013  2:04pm

You missed mentioning or listing one big one which in my mind excels them all, and that is Laura Hilderbrand's book "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption". Imagine a guy, B-24 crewmember, who ends up spending two years in a Japanese POW camp, comes home afterward, suffering worse PTSD than most Vietnam vets, is drinking himself to death, because when he passes out, the nightmares and flashbacks (night and day) stop. He ends up, unwillingly, in a couple Billy Graham tent-revival meetings (Billy Graham was 31, by the way). Considering what Louie Zamperini went through and was going through, the mental healing that took place was nothing short of a divine miracle. I have two copies of this book, one for my library, and one that I keep lending out to people. It shows the redemptive healing power of Jesus Christ in action, and those actions speak volumes, louder than words. So I put my "vote" in for "Unbroken", available on Amazon.com.

Displaying 1–8 of 8 comments.

1    Show All