Guest / Limited Access /

Five days after the death of Chuck Smith, the hippie-loving founder of the Calvary Chapel movement, son-in-law Brian Brodersen became the next senior pastor at the movement's flagship congregation in Costa Mesa.

In his first major interview as ...

Displaying 1–20 of 24 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All

Keith Crosby

March 08, 2014  9:28am

While I can't agree with the tone of all the comments I must confess that the sentiment that better equipped well-rounded pastors will avoid the pitfalls of inbred theology and practice. The old "let's make ourselves relevant to the culture" mantra is stale and dying. That many churches and groups have become like to culture has made them irrelevant. They no longer stand out but blend in which is what Christ warned of in the Sermon on the Mount... lights placed under a bed or table rather than on the table giving light to the whole room. Now churches are like Girl Scouts of America, YWCA or YMCA, or the Mall---just one more face in the crowd. Hip is not necessarily holy. The early church was conspicuously UNLIKE the culture. I fear, in their own way, that Calvary Chapel is poised to go the way of the Crystal Cathedral, Mark Driscol, and others... all these groups are in various states of decline... some dead... some dying... all like the culture.

Kerry Colling

March 05, 2014  11:08am

I think your one of the few UNITYINCHRIST.COM. I have a host of friends and acquaintances (outsiders and disgruntels to BB) who know better. CC is not a Cult..but can display cultic tendencies. The type of teaching in the majority of CC is by no means "balanced." Where is the apologies everytime they predicted an end times scenario it has failed to materialize. Perhaps their Eschatology is skewed and narrow minded? I think so.

Kerry Colling

March 05, 2014  8:58am

PART 4 - CC needs to look at a HOST of other issues besides cultural relevancy. In fact, that should be their least concern at this point. Why not rather seek to be more openminded with those you belittle and set yourself over? Why not re-examine the Scriptures for any legitimacy with your "moses" model of leadership..which, Brian, btw they ALL do follow this example..and if they did not, well then I guess they were simply disgruntled and now are on the outside.

Kerry Colling

March 05, 2014  8:55am

part 3 - CC needs more than a simple move away from whatever BB thinks traditional means...we don't need another celebrity pastor raking in the $ while cranking out milk and not solid meat. I would require any future pastors to get a well rounded education first..or maybe get a real job so you don't lose touch with people. I love how BB (in typical CC style) refers to those who have left the CC or never entered one as "people on the outside" or "disgruntled." Same BS we heard at CC for years whenever someone left or was kicked out for sleeping with girls in the Teen group. CC isolates itself..that is the problem. And, contrary to a few of the posts on this article CC is very CULT-LIKE! I know, I lived it. Not so much in their teaching but in some type of Christianese phenomenon where if you don't act "like us" you probably aren't saved or not a mature Christian. I'm sorry. But, I do not hold out much hope for the future of CC. They need to seriously examine a HOST of other issues befo

Kerry Colling

March 05, 2014  8:46am

part 2. Not sure Moses ever wrote 7 habits of highly effective pastors. But this made up model lends itself to abuse of power (the CC I grew up in and the subsequent CC I attended all over the States were riddled with adultery and power grabs. CC has become a Church full of celebrities...each with their own special programs and music..but they are all the same...from NY to CA this "model" has failed and I am not suprized to see CC nepotism continue with the leadership of the Big CC in CA headed up by an In-Law. The CC here in NY I attended refused other applications until the Pastor's son became the lead head pastor. Now whatever these pastors say, go. I am sorry, but most of them are full of themselves and exceedingly arrogant when it comes to their little kingdoms. And ESCHATOLOGY the same brand pushed by Tim Lahaye is ALL they ever focused on. 30 years later they haven't changed much even as all their "non Predictions" never materialized. CC needs more than just a reboot with anoth

Kerry Colling

March 05, 2014  8:37am

I attended Calvary Chapels for many years. I also attended their school in California. I was "saved" at my local Calvary Chapel back in the early 80's. I was also involved in leadership. I appreciated CC for their emphasis on the word of God. As the years went bye this is really the ONLY thing I can say positive about my experience with CC's (besides a few close friends who have moved on). If Broderson is serious about bringing back CC relevance I believe he is seriously misguided. Since when does the Church take its cue from culture? It seems to me BB is simply concerned about the declining "membership" in CC. Too traditional? Give me a break! CC did nothing but put down older more traditional churches. If BB thinks Hymnals are being "traditional" then he needs to get some education. But, sadly CC doesn't believe in the free exchange of ideas or holding ones beliefs with a certain amount of humility. So, they set up their own schools an..in the made up church leadership style of Moses

editor UNITYINCHRIST.COM

March 04, 2014  4:36am

Robert Burke is not correct in his assessment of Calvary Chapel. i wonder if he spent 7.5 years in one, like I did, where it started out as a Sunday Bible study of 12 which in 2.5 years grew to a church congregation of 125, and then in another four years to about 400 in attendance--all due to the Holy Spirit working in lives of people who were being nourished in the Word of God. And that nourishment being given to them by preaching verse by verse, chapter by chapter, book by book through the whole Bible (what I call "connective expository" sermons). This form of preaching is balanced, and there was no over-emphasis on teaching about end-time prophecy, when we got to a prophetic book of the Bible, they'd preach through it, it was all balanced delivery. I watched people (including myself) come out of additions, over come sins, grow in God's agape-love, it was real. A cult! No way! A beautiful church, and wonderful people. Sounds like Robert Burke is grinding an ax over something.

Dean Crist

March 03, 2014  1:20pm

The headline and the headline subtext do not match the substance of the article. I read the interview twice looking for the "Big" changes and problems cited with "cultural conservatism". While indeed these things were mentioned, they certainly didn't appear to be the crux of the interview. Perhaps the headline & subtext were gleaned from remarks made but not recorded? Or maybe the author/editor is reflecting a bias or agenda? Or something else? Just curious.

Dean Crist

March 03, 2014  1:20pm

Doranna Cooper

March 02, 2014  9:17pm

For 70 years I have heard that Calif. was going to fall into the Pacific Ocean for the sin that is here. So Mr. Burke, let me tell you, in Calif. you go to church and Bible studies because you WANT to and not because it is a habit like it is in other states. Yes, we are tempted to go to the beach or mountains and we can since our churches are flexible and not rigid we still go to worship service and Bible studies which shows where are hearts are. Pre-trib/post-trib has nothing to do with how we behave as Christians in So.Cal. One practice from Church Smith is preaching verse by verse keeps you from taking a statement out of context and mis-interpreting it. "The Fundamentals of Today" was compiled & printed in SoCal by BIOLA in 1908 which put the brakes on modernism/liberalism in the USA and supported the new mission agencies that sprang up because missionaries could no longer operate through their denominations in spreading the true gospel, not the social gospel. God bless Brian B

Robert Burke

March 02, 2014  2:43pm

Brodersen might address the problem that if using Google... and you type "Why is Calvary Chapel"... Google answer will fill in "a cult". Like a bartender that warns you that every other place water downs their drinks... you sort-a-kind-a know ... who waters down drinks... so also Calvary with its so-called Answer Man obsession with other churches being a "CULT, yes a CULT! OMG!"... well, we know why Google fills in the answer. In other words, Brodersen might be Pope-like and repent of Calvary's obsession with end-times-shenanigans-that-controls-people-through-fear-to-the-point-of-CUL TISHNESS... he might be Pope-like and apologize for Calvary's famous DISMISSIVENESS of its HAUGHTY and UNCORRECTABLE brotherhood of ARROGANT preachers... who answer every challenge to their dominion that "we preach the word"... LOL. Brodersen could actually show all the non-dom leaders... how to go from puerile, claptrap, gobbledygookism... through repentance to High Teachings to Christ-in-You..But NOPE!

Robert Burke

March 02, 2014  10:03am

Brodersen might want to consider the idea of REAL value. Has Calvary's Cadre noticed... the rise of the non-dim mega-church... has come at the expense of Calvary's Movement? And why? Rapture hasn't come, and it's preaching seems to be a text of Gospiel and a subtext of fear... fear which turns into bad mojo for families. So families went to the proto-mega-neighborhood noncommie that purposely de-emphasized rapture claptrap. IF Brodersen wanted to be clever, Calvary's doxie would shift from pre-millennial to post trib... as goes the ploy to get rid of the horrid doxie... eventually. AND let angry, angry, angry rapture lovers... go to John Haggee's church of pins and needles. THEN... Brodersen could get on the topic of "Tragic View" trust-but-verify, question-everything and it's good to be suspicious of your leaders because they hide sin best... THESE things teach! And help California walk out of the cesspool of PC Communistic Thinking and get their courage back thru CCWs...

Robert Burke

March 01, 2014  12:55pm

Sounds like Broderson will be getting himself a little Gnostic trouble. He wants Calvary... not TOO Western Enlightened (i.e. hearkening unto self-correction, unto liberty's vow of mutual self-restraint, unto alleging to liberty vs. Political Corrections & Class envy & La Raza Pre-judging prejudice and skin-color-advantaging... Sounds like Broderson wants the Gnostic Therapeutic View... wherein advocates, by his say so, are too much Libtard... but then again Tea Party liberty-lovers... are, by his Gnostic say so, are too Trogladyte? Broderson has no understanding that, OT and NT, the saints of God critiqued both cleric and state systems, when corrupt, to point towards -- Western Enlightened civic freedoms (i.e. economic trade uplifting all, etc. vs. redistribution via stealing from others) and Church freedoms to be NOT GNOSTIC & MYSTIC TYRANTS... but free enough to humbly manifest, through straight & good teachings, Christ-in-You. This bodes ill for Calvary... more cleric claptrap!

RONALD S CHRISTANELLI

March 01, 2014  2:21am

God bless Brian and Cheryl Brodersen. My prayer is just as Joshua had to lead the children of Israel after the death of Moses, in his own manner of responding to the LORD's directions and not in strict imitation of Moses' leadership, so likewise may Brian follow his Lord as pastor of this flock in the way that God has gifted him and not as a copy of his predecessor and mentor's vision and style of leadership.

Dianne Adams

February 28, 2014  7:20pm

Brodersen's comment about not wanting to talk about immigration because "there might not be a verse" is absurd. Use your favorite on-line bible, and search 'foreigner.' And stand back. You might find a verse or two or twenty...

WILLIAM SAUNDERS

February 28, 2014  6:54am

To Jon - You need to do a little more research and stop blindly trusting men which may be the biggest reason so many wolves have come in. The Apostle Paul warned us in Acts 20:28-31 about grievous wolves coming in and men rising up from within speaking perverse (contrary) things. The church in America is made up of mostly gullible people that don't examine the fruit. Unbelievers know the truth about exposed liar Ergun Caner and how gullible Christians believe him. What kind of a witness is that sending to the world? Being gullible does NOT give glory to God. Brian Brodersen has Ergun Caner on staff at Veritas Seminary. There is a huge cover-up taking place and unbelievers know this. We have the documented evidence on all this at Ephesians511Blog DOT NET

KC B

February 27, 2014  7:58pm

I'm reflecting on his comment concerning churches getting too political where the bible is quiet. Should politics be left to individuals? I do think our responses should match scripture, but often times we have people on opposite ends of issues quoting scripture as well.

J Giovino

February 27, 2014  4:56pm

To preface my comment - I've encountered Brian Welch post conversion - and my observation was extremely positive. Smart move on Brodersen's part. Not at all unlike something Chuck would do. I don't have any of the inside knowledge of all the politics that exist, TY for the back story and it's comforting knowing CHUCK obviously did choose Brian to succeed him. I hope Brian is wise not to disrespect peoples memories and fondness for Chuck, in the effort to be his own leader. The Calvary Chapel network of churches changed my life starting with Costa Mesa in 1980-??. My memories of Chuck, words he spoke and the depth of God's wisdom he shared will forever be an anchor to me. I pray that Brian Brodersen and his leadership teams remain centered in concert with God's word. He listens to God's Spirit, the vision is from Him. Not to be derailed by the few, the naysayers, the "PLANK-EYES" and those who would demand that Calvary Chapel remains "Chuck's church." It's God's church. Lead on!

KARL TIEDEMANN

February 27, 2014  4:35pm

I know next to nothing about Mr. B. and he seems a sound individual. I wonder, however, how people come to believe they're situated to speak authoritatively for their "generation." Hard to credit, but not every member of his age group (and those which followed) favors attending church in swim trunks, flip-flops, and T-shirts. I thought such attire was slovenly and disrespectful when I was 17 and still do. I'm resigned to the fact that it's always the loudest and most rebellious who get all the attention, but really, where are cultural traditionalists meant to go (esp. in a place like New York City), or is it simply assumed that such people no longer exist...?

K. Smith

February 27, 2014  2:48pm

Jon - thanks for your comment. Brian Welch is absolutely a born again Christian.

Displaying 1–20 of 24 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All