Guest / Limited Access /

Even the title of Addie Zierman's memoir is evocative: When We Were on Fire. A good title will tell you a lot about a book, and indeed there is a lot to learn from this one. We know, for example, that the titular "we" are no longer "on ...

Displaying 1–11 of 11 comments.

1    Show All

Jeremy Nakasone

February 24, 2014  10:22pm

I recently finished Addie's book and it was all to familiar to me. Change a few locations, and you have my story to a T. Addie writes from a place of deep complacency and critical thinking. She puts words and feelings to what so many of us "Millenials" in our mid-late 20s cannot. My only critique of this book is that there doesn't seem to be much of an explanation of how she came back to Evangelicalism. It just seems to jump from depression & counseling and then it's "I'm not angry anymore." Also, the things revealed about Chris in her later chapters seemed pretty important but we have no clue about them in the beginning. Seems like he was quite controlling yet we get none of this when we should have. But despite those minor setbacks, this is a great book! Definitely recommending it to friends & family!

Gregory Lawhorn

February 24, 2014  9:17pm

The "fire" of emotionalism always fades, and always fails, though not always in such a spectacular fashion. Tragically, Addie's story is being repeated by the tens of thousands. The result is a church which is weak in faith, vulnerable to the lies of the prosperity movement, and can't stand in the face of relational criticism, much less genuine persecution. The Lord Jesus defined discipleship as "teach new disciples to obey all that I have commanded you" in Matthew 28:20; this isn't legalism, it's being a true Christ-follower. Sadly, the discipline of biblical faith has been replaced by the consumerism of the 21st century.

Chris Sigfrids

February 24, 2014  4:25pm

I couldn't put Addie's book down. It was one of my top reads this year. Whether you grew up in an Evangelical church or currently lead in an Evangelical setting, I'd highly recommend reading this book. It holds up a mirror to some of the things we do as Evangelicals that come across as mean-spirited, angry, ridiculous, or down-right creepy. Addie's stories are funny, provocative, insightful and her writing is simply amazing. Again...highly recommend the read.

Mark Dohle

February 23, 2014  8:52am

I have inner problems that have been with me for 65 years and I guess they will continue until the day I die. They cause me to reconfirm my commitment as a follower of Christ Jesus to seek deeper openness to his grace and healing. Life is a process, ongoing, so I need to believe that this system that we are all part of works out for the good.....though I have to make that act of faith at times with my teeth grinding a bit. As I look back, I sense inner healing and movement deeper into the mystery....but when in the midst of it all, I at times want to sink and let go....I won't of course, for all things do pass, each mood, joy, ups and downs, days, weeks and months, all pass, until one day I will also pass and continue this journey for eternity. I loved this article, the honesty of the young woman is touching, I will get the book and read it.

Allene L

February 23, 2014  6:14am

I liked this article until the last sentence - when WE light the fire? The fire has to come from the Holy Spirit, not from ourselves. Maybe that was the problem in the first place.

Ceejay Evans

February 20, 2014  10:33pm

Every individual has a very individual faith walk. Things come off the rails when The Church or other Christians think they can prescribe other's path with God. God meets each of us exactly where we are, and it is He and only He who has the perfect plan for our life. Great damage is done to young believers when they are constantly weighed, measured, judged, and controlled. Legalism is not God's will. In fact, legalism is a counterfeit to genuine Holy Spirit led faith!

Frankie Lee

February 20, 2014  9:01pm

There will be trials and temptations,it is the same way of our fallen world.Satan seeks to devour our weaker brethren,and our Lord Jesus at one times did pray for Peter,that his Faith fail not. We all struggled in life,but because of our foundation,of the Faith we have in God,it really motivates,and give us strength to live on.Those who has weak foundation,have yet to build one,the house might crumbles. No one is an exception.We feel sad,depressed and do feel defeated,as though God had failed us(He never fail us in reality).The cares of this life may weigh us down,as warned by our Lord. Our life here still hinges on our obedience,our Faith and our Trust in the Lord,no matter what.We were now commanded to love God,commanded to love one another,that we are now strictly commanded to obey,to observe and to well remember.Why?We have our fallen nature,and our free choices and mindsets,our own logics-which may gets distorted,so God wants us to walk in the New Life,by denying ourselves.

Rick Dalbey

February 19, 2014  4:40pm

I agree Jonathan, there is joy in heaven over the one that is found.

Jonathan B

February 19, 2014  3:45pm

I'm a growing Christ follower myself. I can relate to the legalistic battles and spiritual battles Zierman was going through. But the more I get to know God, I don't think He would see this as a sad story at all. She's turning her life around and coming back to Jesus. I think on that note He is overjoyed. When a shepard has 100 sheep and 1 is lost. Doesn't he leave the 99 that didn't stray to go find the 1 that strayed? and when he does find it, doesn't he celebrate? I'm just so amazed at the love and mercy our Lord has for us. @Rick... not at all to attack your comment, but it does seem like we're more focused on the negative these days and the sadness that she did stray. I believe God is overjoyed she's coming back to Him and He's not looking at her past.

Rick Dalbey

February 19, 2014  1:04pm

This is sad. You can't keep up the fiction of "High School prayer warrior" for long. Unfortunately my son's youth group leader gave him a copy of Rees Howells, Intercessor. He too was a prayer warrior for a few weeks. Of course he has been drifting like Zierman for the last 15 years. Kids need to be encouraged to enjoy the Lord, to get to know His wonderful personality and to know that He loves them just the way they are, to experience His power and presence. David was a lover before he was a fighter. The joy of the Lord is our strength, not our grim resolve to fight it out in the trenches. I want revival too but it ought to come out of first enjoying the terribly fun, playful and pleasurable presence of the Holy Spirit. As Jesus says, we must become like little children. The Father is our Papa. There is nothing more natural and authentic than discovering who you were made to be. It sounds like Zierman is still struggling with performance issues.

Euro Man

February 19, 2014  12:16pm

This points back to the man in the NT who prayed "Lord I believe, help my unbelief."

Displaying 1–11 of 11 comments.

1    Show All