Guest / Limited Access /

Pentecostal evangelist Oral Roberts died Tuesday of complications from pneumonia. He was 91. Roberts was one of the nation's first television evangelists, author of more than 100 books, and founder of Oral Roberts University in Tulsa. Christianity Today ...

Displaying 1–8 of 8 comments.

1    Show All

David P.

December 22, 2009  1:13pm

I agree with Keith. Dr. Rutland said it beautifully at the memorial service. I'd like to get a copy of his comments--tremendous balance in the things he said. There's no doubt Rutland is the right man for ORU at this moment. www.GodintheNow.com

Keith N

December 21, 2009  11:35pm

Dr. Rutland said it beautifully at the memorial service, "He was not a perfect man...who among us is...but he extraordinary, a giant among men..." (perhaps not exact but close) My dad came to Christ at the age of 10 out of a hellish family situation that without Christ would have resulted in his imprisonment or worse. Our family will always be indebted to Oral Roberts' obedience.

John

December 19, 2009  10:24am

Roberts in part was responsible for my coming to Christ, because in listening to his radio broadcast my mother started listening to the broadcast of a local Baptist church. We eventually started attending this church, where I came to know the Lord. Yet Roberts drifted from the Holiness-Pentecostal roots in which he started, and contributed to founding the materialistic health and wealth "gospel" that deludes many today and holds the the Gospel to scorn, as evidenced in the latest _The Atlantic_.

Jim R correction!

December 17, 2009  3:00pm

The problem with men like Oral Roberts is that they are basically half nuts, and are able to convince innocent, naive, yet, sincere people that they are God's man of the hour. Now, understand me. Being a nut-job doesn't make you bad, it just means you are nutty. Pray to God that Mark Rutland does not get wonky on us, too. He's a good man in a delicate situation.

Jim R

December 17, 2009  2:58pm

The problem with men like Oral Roberts is that they are basically half nuts, and are able to convince innocent, naive, yet, sincere people that they are God's man of the hour. Now, understand me. Being a nut-job doesn't make you bad, it just means you are nutty. Pray to God that Mark Rutland get wonky on us, too. He's a good man in a delicate situation.

david

December 17, 2009  10:40am

I had hoped that Ms Sarah Bailey would have been a little more objective, rather than so self-serving. Oral Roberts had another side to him - remember the "I need to raise $8 million or I am dead? comment"? His contribution to the health and wealth doctrine? It is not for me to deny whatever positive contribution Oral Roberts may have made, but let us be realistic, honest, frank and balanced in our assessment.

Jackie Alnor

December 16, 2009  11:52am

Link was dropped: http://www.apostasyalert.org/Oral%20Roberts.htm While I sympathize with those who have lost a loved one, the damage to the true Gospel continues to go forth on Christian television - Oral lives on.

Jackie Alnor

December 16, 2009  11:51am

As the acclaim for Oral Roberts is seen all over the Internet and all media, let's not forget his true legacy. He is the man who presented the Christian television station owners with their magical spell for fleecing the flock of Christ - the seed-faith heresy. Seed-Faith is a twisted perversion of the parable of the Sower of the Seed in which Jesus identified the seed as the word of God that would multiply if sown in good soil. Oral Roberts adapted that to his prosperity message saying that anything being sown would be multiplied back, money in particularly. TBN founders Jan and Paul Crouch grabbed onto that false teaching and built their world-wide network on that false message that has not made anyone rich but them and those televangelists who wield the teaching to get riches for themselves while bilking the public. I document this in my new book, The Fleecing of Christianity. Here is a link to a portion of that book in which I spell out Oral Roberts' record on hearing directly

Displaying 1–8 of 8 comments.

1    Show All