Guest / Limited Access /

The proposed anti-homosexuality legislation in Uganda has created tension between American Christians who have condemned the legislation and Ugandan Christians who don't want to see homosexuality become an acceptable practice.

SeveralAmericanpastorsandleaders ...

Displaying 1–20 of 125 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  7 next page

Dan

December 28, 2009  3:23pm

@DH: Thanks for the documentation. I will save it. Looks like to me if D. takes me up on my little "bet" I may get a free donut. @Domingo: I will take a jelly-filled donut, please. MMMMmmmm. Donuts.

David Hardy

December 28, 2009  12:04pm

Dan Posted: @Domingo: I bet you a donut that more gays/homosexuals have been killed by gays/homosexuals than by evangelical Christians. So, why would you make such an obviously erroneous statement?…...... Dan…... Here’s your backup… In their frank but empathetic book, "Men Who Beat the Men Who Love Them," (1991) David Island, a homosexual domestic violence victim and psychologist, and Patrick Letellier, his homosexual counselor colleague, report that hate crimes are a homosexual and lesbian domestic way of life. These authors document "three major health hazards" for homosexual men and lesbians. After AIDS and chemical abuse, same-sex battery is the third major health hazard for homosexual men. Lesbians' first health hazard is cancer, followed closely by chemical abuse and, yes, same-sex battery. #HYPERLINK "http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=98688"http://worldn etdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=98688

Dan

December 28, 2009  11:23am

David Hardy

December 27, 2009  3:23am

Domingo Posted: American Christians, who for the most part are as sickly homophobic and ignorant as their African counterparts, only need to wait until 2012, when Sarah Palin will be their leader in the White House. Then, they will have their chance to kill as many homosexuals as they like….. Domingo…. Your vitriolic blanket condemnation of Christians indicates that you are not a member of their ranks…. If you were, you would most likely be aware of the fact that the practice of homosexuality is condemned as a detestable practice by God himself… While I agree that practicing homosexuals are the pawns of Satan… I have no desire to execute them and every desire to see them come to a knowledge of Jesus, that leads them to repentance of sin and salvation for their souls… I do not hate you and Jesus loves you Domingo.

Domingo

December 26, 2009  5:44pm

American Christians, who for the most part are as sickly homophobic and ignorant as their African counterparts, only need to wait until 2012, when Sarah Palin will be their leader in the White House. Then, they will have their chance to kill as many homosexuals as they like.

Dan

December 25, 2009  6:59am

@CL: Upon reading the multitude of posts more closely I found you DID reference "prevention" on Dec. 23, before I brought up the issue in a later post. I just hadn't seen your reference to the WHO report.

Dan

December 24, 2009  3:16pm

@CL: "Dan, your words speak for themselves....I've neither mischaracterized them... " Here's my first post: "Christians killing homosexual b/c they are homosexual is a little bit like Jesus helping to stone the woman caught in adultery. Somehow, it just doesn't fit the narrative." (Pretty horrendous comment, huh!) Then you said: "...nor called you names." Here's what you said to me: "Don't be obtuse." (def: lacking sharpness or quickness of sensibility or intellect : insensitive, stupid) AND "I don't think the English language has any names I could call you worthy of that sad occasion." Sooo, whatever you say, CL. Eph. 4:29 - Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth... Let all...slander be put away from you... 32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving...just as God in Christ also has forgiven you." And you've got to admit Hale and Wilder's O Holy Night is a nice gift. And it was sent with best wishes.

Dan

December 24, 2009  12:26pm

@CL: "...I don't think the English language has any names I could call you worthy of that sad occasion. I will pray for the redemption of your souls from the grips of Darkness." Wow! From bearing false witness of what I said to calling me names (and then saying there weren't worthy names in the English language you could call me!) to praying for me - all in one post! CL, you are amazaaazing - and busy!

Dan

December 24, 2009  11:39am

@GP ( or is now Dr. C?): For your cheery analysis of HIV/AIDS infection, see Norm Luke's post, "...visit the tens of thousands of kids who are dying of Aids, and preach your liberal teachings of license masquerading as freedom to them."

Dan

December 24, 2009  11:31am

"American pastors and leaders are united in condemning the legislation while Ugandans are united in support." Ugandan united in support of THEIR OWN law? How dare they? Why, they are just children. Not ready to write their own laws. They certainly need the Western world's benevolent interference. Any patriarchial-minded imperialists out there care to volunteer? Or maybe not.

Dan

December 24, 2009  11:14am

@DH: "...the Native American Holocaust perpetrated right here in the good ol’USA." Thirty-five + years ago I read that over the course of our history the US govt. made about 1200-1500 ( I don't remember the exact number) treaties with the Indian nations. For 50 extra credit points, how many of those treaties did the Indian Nations break? (a) 500, (b) 1000 (c) 50 (d) none, the US govt. broke every one of them. If you chose "(d) none, the US govt. broke every one of them" you are correct and get 50 extra credit points. These extra credit points and $4.00 will get you a Grande Starbuck's cappuccino.

Dan

December 24, 2009  10:58am

@CL: " [Dan]...you didn't have to say you dis-believed the WHO experts." Because you can read minds now? (You have at least one thing in common with my wife. Ha!) "Everything you say flies in the face of the FACTS and EVIDENCE put out by the WHO." So you're saying WHO doesn't believe the innocent should be protected and the criminals, thugs, outlaws should be prosecuted? "Rounding up and killing the gays has NOTHING to do with reducing the spread of HIV/AIDS." And you are over in the corner arguing with that "straw guy" again. But I do forgive you for misrepresenting what I've actually said. (And I'm not being sarcastic, CL. Forgiveness is never a topic for levity.) By the by, you should have read my first comment on this thread before you commented on what I believe. Also, I hope you enjoyed Hale and Wilder's O Holy Night. And thanks for praying for me. I never resent prayer from anyone - regardless how misinformed or misdirected. Best wishes for you and yours this Christmas season.

David Hardy

December 24, 2009  8:38am

Christian Lawyer Posted: But, hey, if endorsing the rounding up and killing of the gays comports with your view (and David Hardy's) of loving the Lord our God with all your heart and mind and soul and loving your neighbors as yourselves, especially on the eve of our celebration of the birth of the Prince of Peace, I don't think the English language has any names I could call you worthy of that sad occasion. I will pray for the redemption of your souls from the grips of Darkness…… “CL”…. There is absolutely no comparison to the arbitrary rounding up of homosexuals, as you so prevaricating profess, and the prosecution of willful, disease infested, homosexual murderers,…. It has been my belief ever since I read your first homosexual affirming diatribe, that you are neither Christian, nor a lawyer… Your blatant advocacy of the Satanistic practice of all forms of homosexuality indicates to me who you truly serve… There is good news… Jesus loves you… Why do you refuse his light?

David Hardy

December 24, 2009  5:39am

Christian Lawyer Posted: Dan, what do you think the "education" is for? Of course it's for "prevention," but "education" is broader than merely rules. Don't be obtuse. Education can help those who are HIV- on how to avoid acquiring it, and those who are HIV+ on how to avoid spreading it…… “CL”….. Do you realize how ridiculous and desperate you sound…. You are looking at condoms like they are a miracle cure for HIV/AIDS…. Should the emblazon them with a Superman logo too?…. Maybe then those who are convinced that they can get a baby girl to love away the HIV/AIDS will at least use a condom before destroying her vagina with their disease infested genitalalia…....... A bizarre belief among many African black men that sex with a virgin -- even a child or baby -- can cure HIV/AIDS is fueling what is already one of the highest child sexual exploitation rates in the world. http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=25806

David Hardy

December 24, 2009  5:26am

Christian Lawyer Posted: That leaves David Hardy on the fringe of the fringe, far, far from God's Word….. “CL”…… You come at me with names of people I have never heard of and then say that I am far from God’s word…. Interesting…. God’s word says this…. Leviticus 18:22 "Do not practice homosexuality; it is a detestable sin. Leviticus 20:13 "The penalty for homosexual acts is death to both parties. They have committed a detestable act and are guilty of a capital offense. Romans 1:26 That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. Romans 1:27 And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. Romans 1:28 When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds......

David Hardy

December 24, 2009  5:26am

1Corinthians 6:9 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, 1Corinthians 6:10 nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 1Corinthians 6:11 And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God. 11Timothy 1:10 These laws are for people who are sexually immoral, for homosexuals and slave traders, for liars and oath breakers, and for those who do anything else that contradicts the right teaching

David Hardy

December 24, 2009  5:16am

Thom Posted: Holy Moses!……. Jesus would be appalled if he learned these Taliban-like laws were concocted in his name…… Thom….. Holy Moses and Jesus would be appalled…. Interesting.. So you worship Moses and offer council, to we poor mortals, regarding the personal impressions of Jesus, as it relates to the law being considered in Uganda…. Personally I worship Jesus, and from sampling the fruit of your post, I would say that about the only thing you know about him is his earthly name… Oh and FYI… If you are going to castigate Uganda for the actions of Idi Amin Dada… I would suggest that you first remove the log, of the Native American Holocaust perpetrated right here in the good ol’USA, back in the day, from your eye, so you can see more clearly…

Gregory Peterson

December 24, 2009  2:07am

Using a condom is like playing Russian Roulette with a BB gun. You can still get shot, but...death is much less likely. Not using a condom is like substituting a real gun for the BB gun. I think that discouraging condom use is immoral. It encourages people into dangerously fatalistic behavior, when all they may want is a little adventure. Encouraging dangerously fatalistic behavior seems to be a high priority for the religious right, in my jaundiced observation. --- To change metaphors, I think it's better to try to keep people afloat, rather than to attempt a rescue after they've hit bottom. I don't swim all that well anymore. I'm getting old. Merry Christmas and Good Will To All.

Gregory Peterson

December 24, 2009  1:29am

I have an "incurable and fatal disease, and I'm going to die." So what? I'm just unlucky. Bad luck happens. It's now only fatal if I don't get treatment, and we're all going to die. Syphilis didn't seem to stop Victorians. AIDS doesn't stop people from having sex today. We know how to not get it, and still have sex. You don't have to spread it if you do have it , and yet still have sex. If you live here, HIV is quite treatable, but you don't want it anyway. Drugs have side effects, you CAN be unlucky, and I'd rather go to Aruba than the pharmacy. A "death sentence" doesn't stop people anyway (it didn't stop Adam and Eve), especially if they feel mired in anomie...a deep feeling that your society is unjust, capricious and irrational. Anomie, of course, is pretty much what Uganda, and the religious right in general, are really promoting to Gay people. --- No, I'm not HIV positive, and yes, I don't forget to use a condom...Merry Christmas and good will to all.

Dan

December 24, 2009  1:12am

@CL: RE - the condom comment. Using a condom to protect yourself from HIV is a little like playing Russian Roulette with a revolver and a single bullet in the cylinder. Not using a condom when having sex with an HIV infected partner is like playing Russian Roulette with a fully loaded cylinder. It is sad beyond my ability to express it that innocent women and children have to play Russian Roulette with their health. But Pres. Bush tried to do something about it, didn't he - $15,000,000,000. This was not lost on the Africans.

Displaying 1–20 of 125 comments.

1 2 3 4 5  …  7 next page