Guest / Limited Access /

When the nominations for president of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod were tallied and released earlier this month, a collective gasp went up from Lutherans who pay attention to things like presidential nominations.

It wasn't just that nine-year incumbent ...

Displaying 1–15 of 15 comments.

1    Show All

cynthia curran

May 09, 2010  10:36pm

The problem with modern evangelcalism is that many don't know that there are parts of the historical litguary that go back to almost new testement ties. I found this out by reading first clement and clement was probably written about the 90's A.D. Here's a quote, holy, holy. Lord of Saboath the whole creation is full of your Glory. This appears in most old Litguary in the 5th century like St James, St Mark and St Basil, and JOhn Chrysostom, which means orobably some part of it old. This is the prpblem with copying evangelical churches.

Zuko N

May 07, 2010  3:04pm

When some people think of TEA partiers, possibly including the author, they think "hard-working, freedom-loving Americans rallying against Big Government". When some see the words "TEA partiers", they think "Angry racial bigots who look down on the poor hiding behind patriotic rhetoric". Because that is the image it will conjure up for many readers, this article bears false witness against Harrison and his supporters. We would do much better to actually let Harrison speak for himself, as he does in "It's Time". It's impossible for anyone dislike the man- very concerned with extending God's mercy both in the comforting words of the Gospel as well as through tangible means, eager to have our different parties talk TO each other instead of ABOUT each other, and always a humble man. Although people often misuse the Bible verse about being all things to all people, this is the kind of situation it applies to. Let's drop the politically loaded language and talk about the real issues.

Sheldon M.

May 06, 2010  10:05am

I think that being orthodox means that a church stays true to the Scriptures and the Creed. I don't think it means being true to the old hymnal, the organ, and the order of service. Hey, if Christ didn't use these things, I don't feel bound to use them either. Martin Luther's bar-song inspired hymns were once brand new and many dismissed Lutheranism as just a fad. As Luther did, some Lutheran churches use contemporary styles to convey the age-old truths of the orthodox faith.

David L

May 05, 2010  12:12pm

I was about to join the LCMS with my family back in 2001 and then suddenly our parish tired to mirror the local mega churches and so did the theology. My daughter and I ended up becoming Orthodox, my wife gave up on church because of all the fads.

Jane Lutheran

May 05, 2010  11:08am

I am a 25 year member of Lutheran Church - Canada, which was formerly a part of the LCMS. I am rethinking my membership because of this wave of extreme fundamentalism that is growing under the guise of orthodoxy. There are Lutheran pastors who believe that if you are not LCMS or LCC, then you are not a true Christian, and some other pastors and seminarians who are getting back to removing women and lay-people from all parts of the Divine Service. It actually scares me and rather than being Christ-like, I find it Pharisaical. I believe that Luther's Confessions correctly interpret Scripture, but when focused on Luther instead of Christ, we become another cult and Luther is just another Joseph Smith. I believe that old saying about how the Christian denominations should interact, "In the essentials, we have unity. In the non-essentials, liberty. And in all things, charity." But I do not share the vision of all that some Lutherans claim is essential, nor do I feel free or loved.

Dan H.

May 03, 2010  4:16pm

@Bobby V: "A man once said that commenting on articles is akin to receiving a degree from Phoenix University, it may written out for all to see, but amounts to not much." What did said man say about those who comment on those who comment?

cynthia curran

May 02, 2010  10:34pm

I think its good. Lutherans needs to be differen from evangelicals they are a sacremential church. I image that a few churches migh resist. But the LCMS can reach out to people that are tired fo the Rick Warren style of church. They could get evangelicals that might go Roman Catholic or Eastern Orthodox to go Lutheran. Many evangelicals have went to Rome and Constaninople the past 10 years for a church that believes in the Sacrements and is morally conservatie.

Marcus Zill

May 01, 2010  4:56pm

As an LCMS Pastor, I'm intrigued by the comments here. I too am not sure what this has to do with any tea party type identity. Has anyone ever considered the simple notion that perhaps those in the LCMS simply want a change after 9 years or that perhaps Matthew Harrison may just be a more appealing candidate?

Bobby V

May 01, 2010  4:33pm

Basil W

May 01, 2010  12:54pm

I concur with Todd. I spent 18 years in LCMS churches and often felt they believed that they were the only 'true' believers. They often exemplified the term denominationalism. Often I got the impression that Paul was a Lutheran. I also hope that the LCMS will not retreat into a fortress mentality that replaces them into the category of Fundamentalist instead of Evangelical. Perhaps a schism is on the horizon?

David Stewart

April 30, 2010  8:41pm

The article is misleading in that the conflicts inside the LCMS have precious little to do with Tea Parties or the political atmosphere of American politics. Billy Graham called the LCMS a sleeping giant, but the giant has never woken up and that was back in the 1950s. A few years back the LCMS launched "Ablaze" whereby the synod set its heart on evangelizing 100 million people by the 500th anniversary of the Reformation in 2017. This effort was only greeted by even greater disdain by the so-called "Confessional" Lutherans within the synod. The idea of evangelizing and reaching out to the loss was condemned as a "Presby-Metho-Baptist" cocktail that polluted the pure teachings of Luther. What a tragedy that a biblical denomination has gone so far astray they cant even agree on evangelism. The traditionalists would rather die than change one iota of what they mistakenly believe to be Luther's theology.

adrian osborne

April 30, 2010  4:27pm

Joseph Grigoletti ditto

Thomas Rhodes

April 30, 2010  3:29pm

They should be careful riding this anti-incumbent tide. As the incumbent leader of our faith, Jesus could find himself out of a job as our Lord and Savior. I guess Christianity is going to have to come up with a new name.

Todd Jenkins

April 30, 2010  3:05pm

I can't help but wonder whether Mr. Kieschnick's departure will mark a return to the severe isolationism of the LCMS. In the 1990s I worked for an LCMS-backed organization, and it was appalling how narrow-minded the church people were when it came to any other church affiliation, even ELCA and other Lutheran denominations. They were the most in-bred, judgmental, inflexible organization I have encountered in my eighteen years as a Christian. I had hoped that Kieschnick's openness and humanity would have a positive effect on getting the LCMS to reach people instead of pushing them away. Now that hope looks iffy once more.

Joseph Grigoletti

April 30, 2010  12:39pm

Praying for my Lutheran brothers and sisters here...

Displaying 1–15 of 15 comments.

1    Show All