Guest / Limited Access /

While Sam Childers travels around North America promoting Machine Gun Preacher, a movie opening tomorrow based on his life story, the orphanage he founded in South Sudan is under fire from the community and local government for alleged neglect of the ...

Displaying 1–20 of 35 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All

Lelia Watermon

February 11, 2014  6:10pm

I personally know both Sam and his family and know the man he is and his wife.I have visited, prayed with them and have published several stories in a well known magazine called Thunder Roads. I have seen him with children on his own turf, I have ate with this family and I have written and met the people that all have pulled together to help these children and people to survive. All this negative trash is nothing but the devils work and I know he and all those that love these children and do what they can to help will pull through all of this. Did everyone forget the very words that are stated in the bible“Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths” And that is what the Lord has been doing with his people, Sam Childers and all the work with him.Open your eyes and see it for what it is-the devil trying to destroy what Sam and his people have done in good will and by the faith of God.

Theresa Thigpen

December 22, 2013  12:09am

I absolutely love this movie and what it stood for. Sam was a caring, giving and devoted man to saving and helping these children when no one else did. I read MOST of this article and then gave up about the 4th page because it sounds for some reason like a set-up or a frame-up. What I do not understand is why, if so many have gone to the orphanage and seen these detestable conditions, are there not any pictures depicting the claims that they are making? The only pictures in this article of children seem to be of healthy children. If I were going to investigate something or someplace, I would want to take a camera to DOCUMENT what I saw to PROVE what I saw. I also agree that many people have hidden behind religion as an excuse to do wrong. If that is the case, it will come to light, they will find out, and it will be documented and he will be removed from the premises as he should be IF in fact that's what he is doing. You are innocent until PROVEN guilty, Not guilty when accused of it!

Les Birta

October 28, 2013  12:15pm

Ed Fuentes your own words have convicted you. So many hypocrites on here. This man may be carrying a gun but it is not for murder, but rather to preserve the lives of these children. God ordains the police and military and so we accept that they must sometimes use their weapons. One however does not need to be in an "official" occupation to be ordained by God. Jesus never told the Centurions to stop being a Centurion. If wicked soldiers are killed in self defence, the net gain in children's lives saved is sufficient. Yes prayer and winning people to Christ is best but it doesn't happen overnight. This ministry could not have accomplished what it has without the Lord's hand in it. I'm not going to judge Sam's heart, but people who know him first hand say he has a heart of gold. In the end, "The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice." Philippians 1:15-18

Les Birta

October 28, 2013  11:57am

It is very disturbing that pastors and other Christians who are not personally involved would come on here, take verbatim hearsay, and use the tongue in such a vile a wicked manner to judge this sacrificial ministry. Such little spiritual discernment. I have been involved with Gospel for Asia over many years now and can attest to the regular slandering and outright lies perpetrated by local officials and individual community members throughout India where most GFA work is done. Third world countries are messed up, plain and simple and crowd religion can easily become a force. How can we judge without first seeking God's will and praying for this ministry. This ministry has struggles that require incredible perseverance. Before spreading evil gossip, why not give financial and manpower resources to lesson their burden. Church pew sitters, your tongue lashing is a far greater sin than the struggles Sam is willing to face every day which may cause the best of our saints to stumble.

TANYA F

December 20, 2012  3:04pm

look, this guy has the guts to leave the comforts of his home and save those children, no matter the risk that`s was involved. if he`s "neglecting" the children he`s already saved, i need proof before i judge him. Can you show proof?i strongly doubt it seems to me, you people are just trying to take over from the hard work he`s done because you didn`t have the guts to take action yourselves. take the credit, if you will.

TANYA F

December 20, 2012  2:55pm

robert bush

November 22, 2012  1:11am

I have seen fights over control of a ministry that had nothing to do with personal gain. One an independent bible institute cooperative effort with one pastor believing a multi-church board of pastors was needed for accountabilities' sake, and the other that God ordained the local church and all projects need to be out of one independent church, though support and referrals solicited from various churches. They both believed they had a duty to God to protect his work and proper doctrine as they saw it. Accountability vs. corruption through excessive human government, it just looked like they wanted to steal it for power‘s sake. So all of you watch yourselves so you don’t sin before God with false accusations and set the tone for someone to fire them back at you.

George Stamoulis

November 21, 2012  8:10am

CT it would be great if you could post the pictures that Matthew H. Wilson gave to you as it seems strange to me that you wouldn't at least post some of them to verify the validity of Matthew H. Wilson's claims to the general public and the readers of your news channel.

Ed Fuentes

September 24, 2012  2:25am

Good Hollywood story but this wasn't a Holy Spirit inspired man doing the will of God. Read Matthew 5,6, and 7 again and see if this guy lines up with what Jesus taught.

Tim Rowland

August 11, 2012  12:51am

I agree with jerk face... The document is a template, poorly constructed, and the name is spelled differently than all the other press I could find on Lt. Gen. Kuol Diem Kuol. My wife and I watched the BBC film "The First Grader" last night about the Kenyan freedom fighter that went back to primary school at age 84 to learn to read. The teacher that championed his cause was harrassed, lied about, threatened by her superiors, accused of having affairs and being a prostitute - all because people in the "local community" didn't like that she was educating this Mau Mau tribesman in her school. My point is, that humans of any culture will tear down what they disagree with, whether they have any facts or not. How does an American work 15 years in-country with no trouble with the locals, but when notoriety comes, out come the knives. I'm willing to give Sam the benefit of the doubt.

Jerk Face

August 10, 2012  4:06pm

Can't comment on the orphanage since I have never been there, though I do think the movie is embellished but probably based part on truth, as most of these type of movies are. All that aside, I'm shocked that CT would report the update on 9/23 referencing a letter they received from Kuol. I work in the data security business, a quick check of this document shows lots of issues. Namely it was never printed and signed, like an official document would be. It was last printed 4 months prior to being created (it's from a template). Plus the logos are junk, they can't be verified in any available materials as official, even the presentation of the flag. Add the fact that the letter is not signed and the name is spelled differently than it is when it's referenced in the Sudan Tribune, it's authenticity cannot be confirmed. Disturbing that CT would present it as genuine. If by some remote chance it could be authentic, it clearly should be presented better. I question CT's motive for adding it.

kyisha garner

July 21, 2012  5:26am

Ok,I have read and reread all the comments .What I find is that there are only 23 comments .I find that strange .When you consider how many people have recommended this article 290 why only 23 comments? I just watched the movie.I found that I would not want anyone under the age of 18 to watch it.True or not there were many disturbing scenes in it that a child should not view.I will not judge any one but the language and the two sex scenes and the drug use(not for children).Now that I have said that, I can understand people reacting to Sam Childers story pro and con that is a given.There is his truth ,their truth and then there is just the truth. For what ever the reason that Mr.Childers went to Sudan,he seems to have helped many people who might other wise have not survived. I as a child of God,do not care about the past .God forgives and the past sin is forgiven and forgotten by him. No one can use God, he uses us. Why not let him be the judge? Save the children by any means "Yes" !!!

Briana Sheehan

June 17, 2012  1:56pm

I've known many pathological liars and con artists in my life. I can pick a liar out from a mile away now. I watched this man's videos, watched him speak, reviewed his website, and looked at all the pictures. I watched the video of his trip to Darfur. I thought to myself "this man is not a liar." What we have here is lies spread about a man by supposed Christians to protect their own income and power. This is typical human behavior and nothing I haven't seen before. Instead of thinking about what God would want, the protection of his littlest children from an evil organization, we have people worried about their own pockets. This Sam Childers has become too powerful they think. We must take him down in order to protect our own more "traditional" Christian organizations. But you won't fool someone like me. When you respect God and choose not to lie, recognizing liars comes easy. Like recognizing the liars who contributed to this article.

Bryan

October 04, 2011  6:49am

The big problem with the entire Machine Gun Preacher saga is that the veracity of Childers claim's is in severe doubt. Many of the details he claims about South Sudan are actually spurious. He claims to have gone to Darfur recently as well from Nimule by road. As a former aid worker in both South Sudan and Darfur many of the things he says simply don't add up including his claims about him being the only person working in this region. Either he is a man who has taken God's commandment to not "repay evil with evil" pretty lightly or he is a liar. Either one is a poor example of the Christ he claims to serve.

abey

October 03, 2011  8:28am

Bible on one hand & gun on the other, sends wrong signals.

Joseph Deng

October 02, 2011  5:30pm

From UK Newspaper the Daily Mail Lieutenant-General Obuto Mamur Mete, a senior official in the SPLA, said Childers never battled against the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA), the brutal militia which kidnapped thousands of children to train as soldiers and murdered hundreds of thousands of Sudanese people. 'Sam Childers was responsible for an orphanage in southern Sudan, that was all. His claims to have fought alongside us are a lie. He has never even seen the LRA.' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028806/Sam-Childers-Machine-Gun-Pr eacher-saved-child-soldiers-Sudan-telling-lie.html#ixzz1ZfMNYzr8

Renee Proctor

September 30, 2011  7:15pm

Thank You Kim!! This article & some of these comments disgust me! I also go to Shekinah Fellowship in Central City Pa, have met Sam, his family & countless others who have been to the orphanage and I whole heartedly support the ministry! Gerard Butler himself & also Aaron Hendra (guy who wrote the song 'One Mans War') have been to the orphanage and spent a lot of time with the children. Do you honestly think they would support Sam if these allegations were true?! Get real folks! He has also been featured on CBN News & they also have worked with his ministry. You are quick to judge & make ignorant comments, instead of choosing to find out the truth. Go to Sams YouTube channel- MissionarySam , visit the website - MachineGunPreacher.org In the meantime, I will be praying for those of you who choose to attack Sam & the ministry.

Brother Raymond

September 30, 2011  1:14pm

Sams methods are unbiblical and a dishonor to Christ, which is why the world loves him. The world will hear him because they love their own. I do believe Sam tries to love Jesus but he is blinded by his hatred and pride. He is to love his enemies not kill them. I have written on this subject at theshofar.org which outlines the African Christian response to Kony and how they succeeded where Sam has failed.

Joseph Deng

September 30, 2011  11:34am

@dianewms Whatever card Mr Childers is carrying is not a real SPLA card. It must be a fake ID that he made himself. He is not and has never been a member of the SPLA. He has never traveled or fought with the SPLA. He lied when he told Vanity Fair he killed "more than 10 people". He later admitted he hadn't and that it was not true. He lied when he said he sold the SPLA guns. He later admitted that was not true either. He lied when he said he fought the LRA. Two respected commanders from the SPLA including the one Sam claimed as a friend have said he lied about everything. Mr Childers set up and started an orphanage, that much is true, but everything else is a lie. He just wanted to become famous so he lied. I am sorry you believed his lies, and I believe he started out with good intentions to help the people of South Sudan, but he told a little lie to make himself seem more important. That little lie was followed by a bigger lie and then he lost control of the lie.

KIM GROWDEN

September 29, 2011  5:33pm

I HAPPEN TO GO TO SHEKINAH FELLOWSHIP AND THOSE KIDS ARE BY FAR NEVER NEGLECTED. IF YOU COULD SEE THE PASSION IN HIS EYES WHEN HE SPEAKS ABOUT THE CHILDREN OF SUDAN AND HIS ORPHANAGE , YOU WOULD SEE DIFFRENTLY. DOESNT THE BIBLE SAY " DO NOT JUDGE " GOD USES THIS MAN IN A POWERFUL WAY AND HAS RESCUED MORE CHILDREN THAN ANY ONE IVE EVER KNOWN. HE IS IN NO WAY A FAKE OR FRAUD. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR THOSE CHILDREN?

Displaying 1–20 of 35 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All