Guest / Limited Access /

Yet another shooting tragedy has befallen us in the United States. Starting with Colombine in 1999, it has become a regular feature of American life in the 21st century. Fast forward to Friday, and we are now mourning the absurd slaughter of 12 people ...

Bill Canaday

February 14, 2013  3:18pm

Robert, anyone can make a pretty good bomb with next to nothing ... a quart of gasoline in a gallon jug and a spark works just fine. If you are actually a chemical engineer, you should not need to be reminded that the Oklahoma City bomber used fuel oil and fertilizer ... not a complicated formula at all. So getting rid of guns is not the answer. Besides which, the only legal means of doing so in the US is via a Constitutional Amendment. What Feinstein and Obama are attempting to do is unconstitutional. We've come into the end times and 2 Ti 3:1-5 is unfolding. Forget it -- there is no turning things back. I've opted to protect my family and the Constitution with whatever tools and weapons may come to hand.

TIM TEMPLE

August 13, 2012  4:00pm

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. The hands move toward evil. The guns fire. The knives slash. The knowledge of evil leads to evil. Satan wants children of wrath to project his kingdom. To get the children, witchcraft spells are placed on families to break them up. Bullying is allowed in the schools. Murder-based computer games and movies are a regular diet. Evil people are given attention and prominence. Gay love spells are used to confuse normal kids and get them to side with darkness. Demonic religions and occult activities are used to gain demonic influence in their souls. Total license is taught and promoted. Jesus came to destroy the works of the devil. We are little Christs -- "Christians." Our tools are prayer, deliverance and blessing. We need to use them on individuals, groups, societies, organizations and nations. We need to do so like our lives depended upon it. They do.

Eugene Wiese

July 25, 2012  6:21pm

Quite some years ago an experimenter made a rat city. Food was plentiful as were water air and other necessities. Only space was circumscribed. Into this city he place a male and female rat. They reproduced. When the population reached a point equivalent to the population of major cities, the rats behavior had changed from normal to behavior approximating what we have in large cities: roving gangs, violence, terror that had rats turning catatonic and cowering in fear in their cubicles. The point? God gave us the power to control our behavior with His help. He told us what we needed to do. We have reached a stage where we no longer follow His rules nor do we teach these to our children! We have reached the "Me First" stage where nobody else counts, - not even our families! We are behaving totally like animals. When was the last time you talked to God? You need to get back on a first name basis with him to change our society!

Charles Riley

July 25, 2012  4:28pm

Thank you Mark. Its evil and God does have his purpose and as a human I will struggle with events and other terrible situations the rest of my life. Just when I think I have the Theology worked out and I know why God has not healed me from my Quadriplegia, someone starts killing everyone so that main stream media will cover it. I was wondering when someone would mention the killing going on in Chicago. Mark you made some fine points and I think we will be sorting through this stuff and falling on our knees until we have to stand before the Throne. We can't stop all evil, IT IS ABOVE OUR PAY GRADE but we can stop some of it. We need to do all the practical things we can do. As a Therapist we should push for laws to mandate reporting clients who are seriously ill and who own a gun. Now we are limited. We need to have gun laws that work. My life along with my family was saved because we had a gun in the house. There is no need for some of these guns that are available. Corky Riley

SCOTT STINSON

July 25, 2012  2:56pm

I read most of the comments and the majority think that this tragedy has something to do with gun control. At Least 80 Dead in Norway Shooting; Hand guns are illegal in Norway. I think you are all wrong, what about Jeffery Dalmer, John Wayne Gacy Murders, . If you read your Bible, you know the distance from our sinfullness to GODS rightousness. A unrepented liar, is just as guilty as a hitler, or stalin. So I TELL YOU QUIT playing the blame game. LOOK in the mirror a liar, thief, fornicator, murder is looking back at you. Admit you are a sinner, repent, ask CHRIST into your life, Worship HIM, obey HIM as LORD and if disease, fatal accident, or a deranged gunman kills you in the next second or 50 years if you keep the faith I will see you in heaven, This event is the result of a man satisfying a desire who does not believe or respect the accountabilty to GOD, based on his field of study, a gifted student he is a humanist who believes when he dies he ceases to exsist. GBY

yvette moore

July 25, 2012  2:46pm

To Dan Bruce: "When our society starts to realize that the people with guns should be accountable for their gun ownership and use BEFORE the tragedies happen," I don't understand what this means. How do you make gun owners like the shooter accountable before they commit such a crime. What do you mean?

Bill Both

July 25, 2012  1:15pm

Violence in the media is part of the problem. The perp dressed as The Joker so the glorification of violence that typifies Batman movies probably contributed to his mindset. Negligence of the theatre is a factor. There should've been a person inside the screening room who could observe the perp propping the exit open as he left. That person should've alerted security & closed the door. With easy access to the screening room denied & security alerted, the perp would have to re-enter the theatre through the lobby. There's an excellent chance he would've been discouraged from acting at all or been apprehended before he could do much. The biggest variable, however, is easy access to guns & ammunition. No one needs 6000 rounds of ammunition & a 100 round drum. Few, if any, need a rapid fire assault weapon & body armor. Unfortunately, real restrictions on guns & ammunition are unlikely in our political climate. God gave us brains & common sense. Until we use them, more Auroras will occur.

SCOTT STINSON

July 25, 2012  1:00pm

Hi Mark, The world at large is evil, remove the Gospel from our social structure we remove hope and accountability and as the WORD states it is going to get worse. HE put the (GEN 2:16-17) "Tree of the knowledge of good and evil"; Allowing us to exercise our free will (EPHESIANS 2:1-10,JAMES 1:13-18), I believe God did not create evil it is the absence of rightousness as dark is the absence of light. God is allowing us to choose to live in the (ROM 8:1-8) flesh or the spirit.Our lives here on earth is (Nothing a vapor) a time of choosing, if spirit, then a time of perfecting to be worthy to praise and glorify Christ for eternity, our real home is heaven, or worldly a time of increasing blindness and hardening of the heart (ROM 1:28-32) and we continue our path to our "Just" sentence hell, which is what we all deserve, if we do not accept with total surrender the fact that Christ Jesus is our LORD and Savior. Just consider the murder, ABORTION of MILLIONS of babies. Read HEB. 12:14-29.

bruce madeiros

July 24, 2012  12:50pm

When I read something like "After a movie theater shooting that left at least 12 dead and 58 wounded, witnesses described a scene of claustrophobia, panic and blood." I am very pleased that I don't live in America. Here in the UK we clearly have people who are mentally unstable and when they kill someone they only have access to a knife and manage to kill usually only one person but the frightening thing in the States is that your mentally unstable people have access to an assault-style rifle, a shotgun and a handgun and kill 12 and wound 58 ! It seems amazing that Americans want the freedom for even insane people to purchase guns and it would appear that most Americans still want the right to arm themselves. I am really please that I do not have the right to arm myself. There are very severe restrictions in the UK and that I probably couldn't even buy a .22 rifle.Dispite this I am still looking forward to seeing my American grandfather,this summer, who lives in Florida

Dan Bruce

July 24, 2012  10:35am

One fact is a common denominator in Columbine, Jonesboro, Fort Bliss, Virginia Tech, and now Aurora. Guns killed people. Yes, guns. And, it was a gun that almost killed Ronald Reagan, and being surrounded by a squad of heavily armed and extremely qualified gun users did not prevent Reagan from being shot. No matter what reasoning is used, guns in the hands of unaccountable citizens are at the center of all of those tragedies. When our society starts to realize that the people with guns should be accountable for their gun ownership and use BEFORE the tragedies happen, we will begin to lessen the chance that such tragedies as we have witnessed during the past decade or so will happen again.--Dan Bruce, The Prophecy Society

CLINTON D WALLGREN

July 24, 2012  1:46am

As a law abiding, gun owning, rural Christian it pains me too see any argument on this subject at all. Guns are not the problem, a break down of morals and values in America is the problem. Remember the Romans. How will our great nation ever survive if we don't get back to teaching what it was founded on, Christian values. If the gospel is false it will still make you a better person, something we can't do on our own. If the gospel its true it will make you a better person and save your life. There is only one way out of this world. God bless.

Pax Paws

July 23, 2012  10:36pm

Robert, I am sorry that you didn't see my solution in my post. As a chemical engineer, I'm sure that you'll agree that a well-placed accelerant could do considerable damage to life & property if a down & out, inclined individual had the notion. And explosives can be had pretty handily. I guess I see that handing the problem off to the government to legislate that which would not stop a person intent on violence is in fact not a solution. ***** My solution is that we need to be Christ's hands & feet & voice & heart in the world... He is in us, is He not? If we do not look at this tragedy & say to ourselves, as Christians, 'how is this happening on my watch', then we are not living the Gospel & setting the captives free. This is what Christ did and He gave to His Body to do likewise. I think we'd best be doing it! :-) Robert, I'm talking about investment ... a high cost of self. Individually, together. This is not an impossible dream... it is our calling. God Bless you.

robert puharic

July 23, 2012  5:37pm

Pax Paws solution is not a solution. I'm a chemical engineer. Building a bomb is ALOT more difficult than buying an assault rifle, so the solution of 'let's do nothing, and pray' is pretty much what I expected Christians would say. Funny how that's only AMERICAN Christians, isn't it? Christians in other countries seem to have no problem preventing the casual availability of weapons of mass destruction like 100 round magazine clips and assault rifles.

Pax Paws

July 23, 2012  4:13pm

Indeed if we took away all assault rifles, would we stop the tragedy? We still have accelerants & explosives that are readily available. Let us not think that we will solve a tragedy such as this by eliminating the weapon. A troubled soul will find many creative forms of weaponry. ***** May I change the dialogue for a moment? I'd like to point to a silent killer that lurks among us... one that could strike at any moment with nary a hint of provocation to the multitude of passers-by. It's anyone who feels alone... left out... orphaned... not part of something... apart... A-L-O-N-E in the midst of many... esp in a city. Our families continue to fragment with divorce, remarriage, numerous live-ins and kids get lost in the midst of the chaos. Our churches... who knows who they sit next to each week, if indeed one is part of a fellowship of believers? Do our pastors know their flock? Really know them? Do we know the people who live next door? Really know them? Who cares? Us??

robert puharic

July 23, 2012  2:45pm

Mike misinterprets the symptom for the disease. Why excoriate a man for being evil when you're not going to to anything about evil? Where's your plan? What are you going to do about it? As I pointed out, the answer is precisely nothing. I reiterate: Christians worry more about unconscious bits of genetic material than they do about living breathing human beings. Those of us who volunteer our time to care for the sick and dying expect more from Christians. We expect leadership, based on your values. To date, based on your actions, your belief system is a failure. Holmes isn't the problem. The evil will be with you always. Yet you take NO action to prevent a recurrence.

mike falsia

July 23, 2012  2:25pm

We should be accustomed too the usual variety of ignorant, ill informed and utterly foolish comments when evil of this magnitude arises! Mr Puharic for one seems to have nothing to say about the character of this man nor the evil influences that may have played a strong part in the formation of his sinister mind set? We could easily enumerate the evils that people of your stripe find perfectly acceptable in this perverse society and which create an environment that fosters barborous behaviour such as this! The genetic material you describe demonstrates just how debased your thinking really is! But to use your own argument maybe this attitude so prevelant in circles where you traverse may be the reason that life, when measured in such brute and insensetive fashion becomes so devalued and dispensible that acts such as this are divested of any moral consciousness by those who perpetrate them! And that is just the beginning of your anti-christian ignorance and folly! But I am out of time.

DR PAUL JULICH

July 23, 2012  1:51pm

Sad that we, evangelicals, condone and encourage through our political support the arming of the populous with assault rifles, sniper rifles, etc. in the name of protection. What happened to "love your enemies"?

Welby Warner

July 23, 2012  1:42pm

Paul McCain, your comment about an evil world where evil people do evil is correct, but how do you square you rejoicing that you can bear arms to defend yourself with the words of the Lord Jesus Christ (whom I assume you try to follow) when he said that those who live by the sword will perish by the sword. Who are you really following, Jesus Christ or the NRA and its supporters?

KERMIT P SOILEAU

July 23, 2012  1:14pm

The answer is not that terribly difficult to find. The Apostle Paul said that sin entered the world and death by sin...so death has passed upon all men. Sin is the plain answer to the cause of violence such as this. I would add, however, that sin is never logical. Does it make sense to do things like this? Of course not! And that is because sin is beyond sense, beyond logic. Attempting to figure out the mind of maniacs who do these and other vile things will never be profitable because the mind which uses logic for its figuring will be on the wrong track to begin with. Such crimes are illogical and unreasonable - thus, defying our making sense of them. What does make sense is to work our best at what our Lord commissioned us to do...make disciples of Him. Having the mind of Christ is the best preventative for any disobedient behavior. Having the heart of Christ would certainly have prevented this awful circumstance. My prayers are with each family.

Sherwood MacRae

July 23, 2012  12:42pm

If it took the shootings in Aurora - or Tucson, or Columbine, or any of a hundred other places we could name, to reveal evil in our midst, we need to re-open our Bibles and get very serious about this problem that plaques our nation. Prayers and "services" are nice, but they cannot equate to the loss suffered by those left behind to grieve alone. What we need to do - and I am speaking to my Christian brothers and sisters, write a letter to our representatives in Congress DEMANDING an end to the day of these weapons of mass destruction and if that is not enough, we need to evangelize out family, friends and neighbors to speak with one voice - end this carnage, NOW!!! Piety is nice, but it seldom prevails. What is required in an act of love to protect the innocents whose lives are being taken from us, because we have failed in our responsibilty as citizens.

robert puharic

July 23, 2012  12:36pm

As a non Christian, I'm always disappointed at the response of this "Christian" nation to the slaughters in our country. And I'm not just talking about Columbine, Aurora, VA Tech, etc. 9,000 people died last year by gunfire. James Holmes killed more people in 1 theater than the number of embryonic stem cells killed last year, but the prolife movement has precisely zero to offer in response. Nothing. The movement, filled with outrage and mobilizing vast numbers of churches to defend bits of genetic material in liquid N2, is absent when it comes to guns. Complete silence. There's a cafeteria attitude to being prolife. And the silence of the movement on issues like this says alot about its values, or its lack of them. Nothing will change. Nothing will be done. Prayers will be offered. Funerals will be held. And churches will sue the govt to stop contraception. They will do nothing...nothing....about guns.

Paul McCain

July 23, 2012  12:25pm

In an evil world, evil people do evil things. I am thankful that in this nation I’m permitted to keep and bear arms to defend myself, my family and others. As a Lutheran Christian I view this as a way of being faithful to the commandments that tell me I am to help my neighbor to improve and protect his body and life and all that is his. Here is how Luther explains our duties according to the commandment, “You shall not murder” “We should fear and love God that we may not hurt nor harm our neighbor in his body, but help and befriend him in every bodily need [in every need and danger of life and body].” And here is how Luther explains our duty according to the seventh commandment, “You shall not steal.” “We should fear and love God that we may not take our neighbor’s money or property, nor get them by false ware or dealing, but help him to improve and protect his property and business [that his means are preserved and his condition is improved].” From Luther's Small Catechism.

View this article in Reader Mode