Guest / Limited Access /

Amid the latest drama surrounding the Trinity Broadcasting Network (TBN), should mainstream ministries seek reform or pull their programming?

Brittany Koper, the granddaughter of TBN founders Paul and Jan Crouch and its chief financial officer until ...

Displaying 1–20 of 28 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All

Dock'quish Jackson

August 09, 2013  8:15pm

A tremendous prophetess of God, Charlene Ramirez, in her books, "God is Speaking Now", commented on some of these large ministries, as well as the USA. Ramirez stated: 1) God is not pleased with all large ministries. 2) Some of their leaders engage in immorality, sin, abuse of innocent children and steal money from the poor. 3) God will cause their sin to be exposed publicly, and will shut down some of these Protestant mega-ministries, as well as the Catholic Church. 4) Leaders who are not led by the Spirit are in fact used by the enemy. Their end will be as unbelievers' future, separated from God for eternity. 5) God wants His people to be honest about their sins, confess and forsake iniquity. Humble people can find mercy from God, and His forgiveness, but "pride is the worst sin." God is pleased with His people and loves them very much. 6) America has forsaken God and Jesus, and the truth of the Bible. 7) Soon, America will be invaded and punished severely, to be humbled

larry walden

August 02, 2013  3:05pm

I too grew up with TBN. I am now 74 and am totally ashamed of TBN by their teaching heresies and mis handling of donor's money.

Sonya Stinson

June 04, 2013  5:16pm

I used to give money to tbn for years my hard earned money. I thought it was going to help folks. I was wrong and when I grew spiritually and began receiving gifts of the spirit I saw how evil they are how fake, and displeasing to God. Then when I saw the terrible way Brittany was being treated by her own uncle and grandpa , I thought wow . It's funny I am not surprised. Paul and Jan repent! Jesus is NOT pleased with you quite the opposite!

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  1:56am

Scott, scandals which come to mind, which have been nationally broadcast and thus are sometimes cited by unbelievers as reasons/excuses to reject Christ Jesus as Savior and Lord, were not associated with TBN or The 700 Club. I don't say that to excuse any wrongdoing on their parts, just to address that issue. I also don't believe that we have the authority to consign any person who professes Christ Jesus as Lord to Hell. God IS the only Righteous Judge, and He will deal with each person (as well as nations) as He knows best. Paul spoke of people whom he knew who did not live as they should, yet proclaimed the Gospel. He said that he did nothing to stop them, but was glad the Gospel was getting out to unbelievers. I think of that when I think of situations like this (and TBN is not the only one, sad to say). Ole Anthony (their accuser in this article) does not have a spotless reputation either: http://www.dallasobserver.com/2006-08-03/news/the-cult-of-ole/

Jon Trott

November 14, 2012  7:12pm

TBN, the rare moments I think about it anymore, reminds me of a comment made by the model who's life is dedicated to making herself look as much like Mattel's "Barbie Doll" as is possible. "I'm happy when I seem unreal to them. It means I'm doing a good job."

SCOTT STINSON

November 14, 2012  1:13pm

I remember when a child stuck at home because of a cold, I would watch TBN and mock the phony so called preachers soliciting money for prayers and all the other enticments to get money out of the elderly or desperate all TBN did was fuel (At that time) my unbelieve, and anger at the dog and pony show they presented there is a special place in hell for the benny hinns and false teachers in the world just out to fleece the flock, I cannot count the number of times conversations about my belief and love of Christ have been dashed because the person I was witnessing to, would bring up TBN or the 700 club as an exsample of Christianity and of course all the scandal's associated with people on the program. I believe that the farther we as true Bible believing Christians can distance our selfs the better, Trust GOD, be a living exsample of your faith and go for quality not quanity.

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:46am

P.S. to Jeremy Kelly: It is great to see that another poster here agrees with me (most importantly, with God's Word) about abortion, that you feel strongly about it too. If you read the history of Roe v. Wade from the beginning, in Dr. Bernard Nathanson's book, The Hand of God - he was a highly-respected doctor and co-founder of NARAL who committed at least 75,000 abortions, including at least one on his own child(ren), until his view of abortion radically changed via the advent of ultrasound - you'll see that he and his cohort were not able to 'sell' abortion on demand to the church or even America in general, which is why it had to be legislated from the bench of the Supreme Court. You can read at this website his confessions as to the underhanded tactics they used: www.aboutabortions.com/Confess.html BUT, his book I mentioned above gives MUCH more info, including related issues like euthanasia. IMHO, every American should read his book before making any decision about abortion.

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:44am

One more post to Jeremy Kelly, to fully answer your last post: You said, "Its time the church steps up to the plate and stops complaining about it all and start acting on behalf of the mothers who feel that their only choice is abortion. Instead of protesting abortion clinics how about helping." Jeremy, have you read unPlanned, by Abby Johnson, who was a manager of a Planned Parenthood "clinic" for several years? She tells of those who came to protest abortion at her clinic. What she learned and shared in her book is of great worth to anyone at any point on the spectrum in regard to abortion. ITA agree with you that every Christian who truly cares for "the least of these" should HELP in whatever way God has called them. God has called some to pray and interecede at abortion "clinics", and some of these have had golden opportunities to help the women as they arrive for their "procedures". Things are not always as they may seem. "The foot cannot say it doesn't need the hand."

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:16am

Steve Decker said: "...just make a decision that they are lacking in humility and don't watch that network." By that criterion, I don't know if we could watch any network at all. ;) Seriously, do you remember the Scripture where Paul spoke of people whom he knew who did not live as they should, yet proclaimed the Gospel? Paul indicated that he did nothing to stop them, but was glad the Gospel was getting out to unbelievers. I think of that when I think of situations like this (and TBN is not the only one, sad to say). Ole Anthony himself (their accuser in this article) does not have a spotless reputation himself. This webpage, which includes interviews with former employees of his Trinity Foundation, is subtitled "Ole Anthony anointed himself the watchdog of America's televangelists. But who was watching Ole Anthony?" http://www.dallasobserver.com/2006-08-03/news/the-cult-of-ole/

Steve Decker

November 13, 2012  6:14am

Radical suggestion: In general, how about recommending that no one watch TBN or present on TBN. Period. The people who buy time there can buy time elsewhere. No comparison to secular organizations or politics, no ad hominem backbiting- just make a decision that they are lacking in humility and don't watch that network.

Claire Guest

November 12, 2012  10:35pm

John Hale, what is the difference between historic Protestant denominations and evangelicals? Is there a difference? For example, how would you label Dr. Michael Youssef, whose program "Leading The Way" is broadcast on TBN? I've always thought "evangelicals" simply referred to Bible-believing Christians, and that there are Bible-believing Christians in virtually every church. Sometimes I get the feeling that I need a dictionary or glossary here.

John Hale

November 12, 2012  5:10pm

Is "mainstream" the correct term to use for the non-prosperity gospel groups on TBN, like Graham's or Stanley's? "Mainstream" usually refers to the historic Protestant denominations, not evangelicals.

Mike Mitchell

November 10, 2012  11:18am

Scott Roney - Please educate me on how the Bible doesn't condemn abortion. Doesn't it condemn killing? And the Bible does speak to the unborn as a person.-- Read Psalm 51:5, Luke 1:44, Jeramiah 1:5, Matthew 1:20-21, Exodus 21: 22-23, Psalm 139:15-16. Does the Bible say anything about not eating Krispy Kreme Doughnuts because they're bad for you? One needs to look at the context and character of what God says. For example, sexual immorality covers a lot of ground (any sexual behavior other than what God has defined as good -- between husband/wife). Please tell me w/your knowledge of neonatal bioethics, when does it become a baby and what happens at that point to make it so. If you can't answer that question definitively, then how can you support abortion in any circumstance? At conception, it is fully a human life that has everything necessary to develop into a full term baby, ready to be born. That is the point at which a life is created and the Bible clearly speaks to not killing

Claire Guest

November 10, 2012  12:04am

Jeremy, I haven't said that Franklin Graham is one of the "greats" on TBN, and I haven't seen anyone else describe him in those terms either. What I *did* say is this: "Some of the mainstream ministries I've seen on TBN are Charles Stanley, Adrian Rogers (his sermons still air), Franklin Graham/Samaritan Purse, Billy Graham crusades, Travel the Road (an exciting series about two missionaries), and a program which features Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. There are others too; these are the ones which come to mind. TBN also shows great Christian movies which are never aired on secular TV stations." Note the fact that I listed a NUMBER of names. I don't buy "the failings of Marxism OR the failings of Mormonism" - I have made that ultra clear in all my posts on both topics. I totally disagree with your closing statement, for this reason: At least with Romney you know what he believes. Black Liberation Theology is Marxism dressed up to seem religious. Its very name is deceitful.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  11:56pm

Jeremy, SOME Republicans ARE very interested in overturning Roe v. Wade - just as SOME posters here DO take a Biblical stand on this issue. Rick Santorum is just one Republican who does (Paul Ryan does too), but - assuming that posters here who have no compunctions about this issue are Christians, and going by the evident numbers of Christians who voted for Obama - it seems that even Christians in this country are willing for this modern American holocaust to continue unabated, even though the death toll is now nearing 60 MILLION BABIES! This is simply mind-boggling to me. What's really sad is that I personally know people who are not Christians, don't claim to be Christians, yet they do not deny the reality of the little babies in their mothers' wombs, and even work hard to make a positive difference in this issue. When professed Christians deny the Word of God re: this issue (and any other, as well), it is very disconcerting. It simply should not be so.

Jeremy Kelly

November 09, 2012  9:52pm

Secondly, there's this mention of Franklin Graham being one of the greats on TBN. In my opinion, the Grahams failed Christianity when they removed Mormonism from their cult list because it might affect Romney's chances. If a Jehovah Witness or Christian Science devotee runs for president on the Republican ticket are we going to remove them from the cult list? Where does this end? The evangelical lust for power in the white house has to end. It is not the throne of God. Regardless of who is in the White House Christ is Lord of lords and King of kings. The problem with this race was that we were educating our flocks on how horrible a guy Obama is instead of teaching them the lies and heresies of Mormonism. Anyone who would buy into the Mormon deception is much further gone than Obama. I would buy the failings of Marxism over the failings of Mormonism any day of the week because at least with Marx you know what he thought. Mormonism is pure deception wrapped in religios clothes

Jeremy Kelly

November 09, 2012  9:42pm

Claire, I agree with you about the abortion issue and feel strongly about it too. However, I do not pretend to think for a moment that the Republicans we vote for every election are active and very interested in changing Roe vs Wade. Every election season they highlight the two issues they know will appeal to the evangelical community (abortion and homosexual marriage). Every election season the evangelicals fall for the same routine and "vote the Bible." Then we never hear about it until election season again. I don't take it seriously that they are trying to do anything about it and therefore will not limit my vote to empty promises. BTW abortion is not the failing of the state it is the failing of the church. We look to the state to legislate morality? Its time the church steps up to the plate and stops complaining about it all and start acting on behalf of the mothers who feel that their only choice is abortion. Instead of protesting abortion clinics how about helping.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  7:57pm

Gregory, some of the mainstream ministries I've seen on TBN are Charles Stanley, Adrian Rogers (his sermons still air), Franklin Graham/Samaritan Purse, Billy Graham crusades, Travel the Road (an exciting series about two missionaries), and a program which features Ray Comfort and Kirk Cameron. There are others too; these are the ones which come to mind. TBN also shows great Christian movies which are never aired on secular TV stations.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  7:56pm

Yes, Jeremy, SOME (not all, by a long shot) Christians/ministries equate prosperity with Godliness. NOT ALL of these are on TBN, and MANY of them hold to liberal social views. The lavish sets on TBN do not appeal to me, BUT I do know they minister to poverty-stricken people in many areas around the world, and in this country too. Since Christ Jesus had some stern, extremely judgmental words for anyone who would harm children, I believe that He absolutely CARES about abortion, and that those who love and obey Him care as much about it as He does. He plainly said, "As you have done it unto THE LEAST OF THESE, you have done it unto Me." The babies in their mothers' wombs are definitely THE LEAST OF THESE.

Gregory Peterson

November 09, 2012  6:21pm

President Mohler and I have must have different concepts of what "mainstream ministries" might be. I've never seen any on TBN.

Displaying 1–20 of 28 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All