Guest / Limited Access /

While evangelical leaders have long protested that evangelicalism is politically diverse and is a theological identifier rather than a political one, it appears that evangelicals are more politically unified than ever before. But in most results from ...

Jon Hakim

November 19, 2012  10:25am

I'm still waiting for the authors to explain why they think it's okay to act like the only real evangelicals are white evangelicals. They purposely ignore Black evangelicals, Latino evangelicals, Asian-American evangelicals, and Native American evangelicals in all their statistics. And in most cases, including the headline, they don't even admit that they're ignoring them! So what if 94% of White evangelicals voted for Romney in Mississippi - almost all White people in Mississippi voted for Romney! But don't the Black and Latino and Asian evangelicals, who may have had a different opinion, have a vote that counts too? Why are "African-Americans" a separate category there, as if they're not evangelical? I've commented before, sent an email, left a message...why haven't the authors realized how important this issue is? If you're going to segregate voters out and only count the White people, at least be clear that you're doing it and explain why.

Paul Schryba

November 16, 2012  10:56pm

Claire: There are many factors in the decline of the middle class and increase in the numbers of poor, not do to Pres. Obama. The elimination of good paying government jobs at all levels through budget cuts is one of them, ignored by you. The migration of jobs overseas is another; you have implied elsewhere that is due to over taxation and government regulation. While that is a factor, I suggest to you that it is more due to the fact that there are millions of poor who are willing to work at subsistence level in countries that have no minimum wage, don't care about workplace safety and environmental conditions. Owners who seek only to 'maximize profit' and 'remain competitive' build where its cheap; and Joe/Josephine Six Pack buying cheap Chinese at the local mega-store, bypassing small business. Some poor have no choice- most do. Walmart reported a 9% increase in 3rd quarter sales, and accounted for 10% of non-auto retail sales in the US.

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 16, 2012  4:50am

I was very interested to read your response Claire. I think I can understand where you are coming from in terms of abortion, re-definition of marriage and immigration. I do have sympathy with your arguments. However the use of certain pieces of Biblical texts to back up the argument is choosing one text against the other. We have to take the whole gamut of God's word in order to understand what God is saying. Even then it would be somewhat arrogant to say we all know the mind of God. I do not believe I am biased towards Mr Obama and thus I am against Mr Romney. As you know Mr Romney came here and most people found him obnoxious and arrogant in the extreme. Perhaps I just do not see things in such black & white terms. Behind every decision and action there is a human face and when I am with folk who are facing very difficult decisions I choose to listen to them and as Ken Leech "walk through their hell with them."

November 15, 2012  2:45am

Rod Hale and Phillip Donald Sr, Christ Jesus said, "As you have done it to THE LEAST OF THESE, you have done it unto Me." The little babies in their mothers' wombs are definitely THE LEAST OF THESE. Why are you so willing to deny them "the right to Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and true Justice? Obama's and Dems' view of "women's rights" has become equal to "legal license to kill their children". And when they deign to re-define GOD's definition of morality/immorality AND His definition of marriage, that is unmitigated arrogance. Under Obama, the rich have NOT become poorer, BUT the middle class and working poor HAVE. He has bailed out huge corporations, but has gone after SMALL BUSINESS. Gas prices are TWICE what they were 4 years ago, as are grocery prices. National Debt has exponentially INCREASED to 16 TRILLION (increasing every minute). God says He honors those who honor HIM. Obama/Dems do not honor HIM (prime example: DNC), so we cannot expect Him to honor them.

November 15, 2012  12:59am

Annie, I realize that since you don't live in the USA, your view is necessarily limited, just as mine would be of issues in the UK. Your view of Obama and Romney seems to be very biased, and you also seem to equate government with God. Romney gives generously to charity (widows, orphans, the poor), but Obama does not. Government taxation does NOT equal charity. Christ Jesus did tell His people to care for others, but He did NOT ever once tell them to use a government to do that, nor did He ever once encourage them to look to a government to meet their needs - only GOD Himself (Matthew 6:33). The Word of God is always balanced - He said, "If a man will not work, then neither shall he eat." Yet our government defies God's Word by supporting people who are not willing to work. Government corruption is rampant - taxes are typically used NOT to help those who really need help, but are in fact wasted on many things (Solyndra is just one example), including fattening already-fat cats.

November 15, 2012  12:59am

Jeri Joyce, why do you assume people hate Obama simply because they disagree with him? This "hate card" has been used and abused to condemn people who don't hate Obama at all, who only disagree with his ideology, his policies, and more. If you are accusing people like me of opposing Obama because of his skin color, let me assure you that I have voted for conservatives of varying ethnicities, and I would LOVE to have such a Godly, conservative president. IMHO, the people who are most discriminated against in our nation, politically speaking, are African-American conservatives. They are villified with extremely hateful names - "Uncle Tom" is a mild one, sad to say. One who recently ran for office brought up an excellent point: He pointed out the fact that Republicans are criticized for being too "vanilla" (which is a false accusation), but that when black people do run as Reps, they are villified and demonized for it. This creates a Catch-22, no-win situation. Surely you can see that.

November 15, 2012  12:41am

P.S. Jeri Joyce: I too wonder how and why "evangelicals" are divvied up into different groups. To me, a Bible-believing Christian is just that, regardless of any superficial differences. It is unjust for Obama and other Dems to falsely accuse Reps of "war on women", when in reality they use "women's rights" as a euphemism for giving women license to kill their babies - this is a REAL war on babies (death toll = almost 60 MILLION!) Does this, and the fact that Obama has given such emphatic support for re-defining GOD's definition of marriage, not bother you? Do you really see these things as positives, since these things are in direct opposition to the Word of God? If Galatians 6:7 is true (I absolutely believe it is), then our nation WILL reap bitter fruit, as such things incur the Judgment of God on ANY nation - this is clear in the Scriptures. The Lord says that He honors those who honor Him, but Obama has not honored God. I do not see a holy fear of God in him, only defiance.

November 15, 2012  12:23am

Jeremy, RE a comment I made earlier: "MANY Americans are descended from LEGAL immigrants who came to this country looking for a better life, were grateful to be here, willing to learn the language, very thankful to become naturalized citizens." To be clear, I have NO PROBLEM with people who come from other countries with this attitude. I have lived in areas where illegal immigrants created serious problems through destructive and dangerous gang activity, they were not willing to learn the language, and had no desire to become naturalized citizens. Friends and relatives in border states such as Arizona and New Mexico have seen even worse. What's the point in having laws for citizens' protection if they're not enforced? The recent 'Fast and furious' debacle illustrates the foolishness of this. If churches and individuals help immigrants, why not help them work toward becoming naturalized citizens? That seems totally logical to me.

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  4:10pm

Annie I value and welcome your response as intriguing from an outside perspective. Thank you for your comments. They are refreshing and interesting. I often wonder how foreigners view U.S. politics and American Christians involvement in it. Very interesting thoughts indeed! Blessings!

Jeri Joyce

November 14, 2012  3:59pm

Evangelicals, I am also a CHRISTIAN! If you are not racists, why does the PRESIDENT bother you so much? When George Bush was sending this nation to hell in a gas basket, where were you? Oops I forgot, he's white and Mr. Obama is only HALF WHITE! What will you tell God when you stand before him? He made us all! I will support the President as long as God allows him to preside over this nation. For those who think that The President did nothing his first four years in office, why don't you read about all that he's done. If you can't get to Washington, I suggest you to to google and look up his accomplishments over the past four years. You will be shocked to find how you've benefited. Oh yes, the media tell you what they what you to hear because they know you won't research and read but will listen to whatever comes across a television screen. READ!!! Galatians 6:7

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 14, 2012  2:53pm

Interestingly that the early church was all about looking after the widows and orphans, foreigners etc. The poor were cared for. Barnabas so caught the vision that he sold his lands and put in the communal pot in order to help the less provided for. Even slaves were to be treated with respect and kindness! I find none of these sentiments from the Republicans. That doesn't mean the Democrats do show more Christian values but as someone said: "Better to have Obama health care than Romney's no health care." This is probably why I do not see myself as an "evangelical" but more of a "Liberationist." Jesus was quite clear about how we should treat one another. Judgement did not come into it. The only judgement he revealed was against Pharisees Jewish leaders of the day. I think we all need to go back to our Bibles and read it properly and not rely on others to tell us all what it means. The Bible is not there to pick and choose from. Love thy neighbour as thyself, Jesus added!!!

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 14, 2012  2:42pm

I hope all the American folk commenting on this article will forgive a Britisher from throwing her penny worth into this debate. Like many here I find it extraordinary that "evangelical Christians" in the USA are overwhelmingly voting for the Republican Party? Utterly confused sitting here reading this article. From a "foreigner" perspective and what I have heard on CNN et al, Romney was promoted as the "Christian" voice? He's a Mormon - their whole faith is based on a lie!!! Some of the speeches I have seen and heard are ultra right wing, racist, certainly anti-black and not in the least compassionate to those who are poor. Moreover they appeared to be set to disenfranchise all poor folk black or white! Well, like or not, I prayed that Mr Obama got another term in office as Mitt Romney scared the hell out of me. No he and his fellow Right wingers were not speaking any Biblically-Based words of comfort and love. Rather the opposite: Judgmental - very Pharisaical & extreme.

Rod Hale

November 14, 2012  11:34am

You say this as if it's something in which to be proud. I consider myself an evengelical christian but also a compassionate human beging who believes we are in fact " our brothers keeper" and should consider this when we vote. The issues are more than gay rights and abortion but you would not think so in the evengelical community.

yvette moore

November 14, 2012  11:21am

Why is the term "evangelical" or "born-again Christian" consistently used when what's really being referred to is WHITE evangelicals etc?

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  10:35am

Claire resonse cont...I am a husband and a father of two young children. I have to admit that if we were suffering in Mexico, I would be the first to take my chances to get my family to safety, legal or not. I have a friend from Canada who has been trying to get citizenship...he is on year six! We need politicians who care and will intitiate reform. We don't need walls and a firing squad on our borders. I think scripture has a lot to say on this issue in our attitudes toward immigrants/aliens. The Law, not to mention the prophets are far more generous then the conservative right tends to be on this issue. I don't wish to lump you in with them here...I am however interested in your opinion on what has been titled "illegal immigrants."

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  10:26am

Claire, thank you for your response. I too am a descendent of immigrants from Ireland and Sicily. My Irish great-grandfather told stories of not being able to go into stores and bars because signs would read "No Dogs or Irish allowed!" Immigrants have always been prejudiced against in this country, legal or illegal. My problem with the conservative stance on immigration is that they seem to have harsh attitudes toward immigrants who have not gone through the legal avenues of naturalization. They label them "illegals" which feels rather degrading. They too are created in God's image, aren't they? Should we as Christians turn any away? Should they be deported and given amnesty? Many come here because they are escaping horrible situations in foreign countries. And let's face it, America has not necessary been the best model for "loving your neighbor" when it comes to our friends in Central and Latin America.

November 14, 2012  1:10am

Jeremy Kelly asked me, "What is your position on immigrants?" Jeremy, thank you for simply ASKING me this question without assuming you knew how I would answer and/or making a false accusation along that line. My position on immigration is this: I have NO PROBLEM - zip, nada, zilch - with LEGAL immigration, period. MANY Americans are descended from LEGAL immigrants who came to this country looking for a better life, were grateful to be here, willing to learn the language, very thankful to become naturalized citizens. Both my husband and I are descended from native Americans AND legal immigrants who came here through Ellis Island, we've had the privilege of knowing some of those dear people and their descendants, and we learned many valuable and important lessons from them when we were young -- one grandmother who was full-blood native American lived to be 97 years old, and we enjoyed her life well into adulthood.

November 14, 2012  1:08am

Wayne, again you have accused me falsely (and again you have not answered the question(s) I raised in my last post to you). I have not excluded anyone from any group - in fact, I have plainly stated a number of times, "GOD is the only Righteous Judge". As a matter of conscience, because God's Word is my standard of truth, I *will* stand with God's Word - as Christ Jesus said, His Word IS Truth, and it is as we continually abide in His Word that we are set free. I've noticed that a number of posters here cannot seem to stick to issues or post humanely when they reply to conservative Bible-believing Christians (or else they just don't want to), but I have not seen you rebuke any of them at any time.. Christ Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."

November 14, 2012  1:05am

Jon, I have not borne false witness or sinned against a brother in Christ, but you have borne false witness against me, a child of God. My conscience is totally clear because what I have learned has come mostly from direct sources who are adherents to Black Liberation Theology, not detractors. Frankly, I am shocked that anyone who is reasonably informed DOES NOT know these things are true. As for the video at YouTube, you have misrepresented it. Whoever put that up did NOT put the word "holy" in Obama's mouth whenever he has spoken about the Qu'ran, nor did he or she put the words which mocked the Bible and Christians in his mouth either. Nor did he or she doctor the footage to make it just look like he bowed to an Islamic king. It is a matter of public record on media outlets (including liberal websites where I've seen them) that he has dissed Netanyahu of Israel. His deliberate lack of action in Benghazi is also public knowledge. Etc.

November 14, 2012  1:04am

P.S. to Jon: If you look up Rev. Jeremiah Wright at Wikipedia, this is plainly stated about his church, the Trinity United Church of Christ: "The church's mission statement is based upon systematized Black liberation theology that started with the works of James Hal Cone." This is consistent with what I said earlier. Some links about this: 1) http://www.marketfaith.org/non-christian-worldviews/the-gospel-according-ba rack-obamas-pastor-black-liberation-theology/ 2) http://www.acton.org/pub/commentary/2008/04/02/marxist-roots-black-liberati on-theology Obama was an active member of Wright's church for 20 years, gave thousands of dollars to the church, AND used Wright's exact words as the title for his most recent book. The influence is clear. IF a Caucasian politician had had this level of involvement in a Caucasian-biased church of similar ideology, any campaign he or she attempted to run would have been dead in the water from the beginning (and rightfully so) - NO party nomination.

Jon Trott

November 13, 2012  9:58am

Claire writes: "The link you mentioned is actually at YouTube, and it is simply a compilation of statements from Obama's OWN mouth." I'm probably going to sound condescending here, because I don't know how to say this otherwise. Yes, the video link you posted was President Obama saying various phrases the video-maker had pastiched together. But those statements were ripped out of context completely, to the point any observer listening to the video could easily discern that fact. One has to be so invested in Obama being a "Muslim" and/or "marxist" and/or duplicitous that she will overlook the obvious for the obscure. Here's the link again, just so anyone willing to be thoughtful can ascertain the video maker's clumsy and lie-making editing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY Again, Claire, you and the video maker are bearing false witness, sinning against a brother in Christ.

Jon Trott

November 13, 2012  9:47am

Jon Hakim writes: "Apparently, the only evangelicals who count to these authors are WHITE evangelicals. Black, Latino, and Asian evangelicals were all much stronger in their support for the Democratic candidate." One reason I've tried to stop using the term "Evangelical" to describe myself, even though theologically it is fairly accurate. The term has taken on both political and racial baggage to the point it is no longer a term I wish to be associated with. The post-election feedback on my wife's facebook page (I long since bailed out on facebook due to similar problems there) has been so nasty re President Obama's re-election that she's simply "unfriending" folks with no warning. Zero tolerance when one is told "America is over" and "It isn't our America any more." Dang right it isn't "your America." It is every American's America.... the Christian White Right does not own this country and never did and never will. Thank God.

Jeremy Kelly

November 13, 2012  7:46am

Claire, what is your position on immigrants?

Wayne Froese

November 13, 2012  7:27am

Claire, if others treat you as a troll, it is because you've excluded them from the group you call "true Christians" and "bible believing Christians". My message to you was about pronouncements like those but you missed that. When you insist that your conclusions be accepted as fact (as gospel), you appear as a caricature of some faith groups but you do it so well that you've convinced me that you are not just putting us all on. I've read your posts aloud and others comment "why wait for judgement day when you have Claire". Until you stop with adding your judgements that place others outside of the faith, it appears that my attempt at a humane discussion can't include you.

November 13, 2012  4:24am

Jon Hakim, I agree with you that all evangelicals, regardless of skin color, should be considered. For example, aren't African-American churches considered "evangelical"? If not, what is a more accurate word? If polls can be believed, at least 95% of all African-Americans voted for Obama. I'm not sure how this could be broken down between Christians and nonChristians, though. For example, there is a very large Islamic African-American population (Nation of Islam) in my metro area. However, I cannot agree with you that "Black, Latino, and Asian evangelicals" as a whole (or majority) voted for Obama - mainly because the African-Americans, Latinos, and Asians in my church said they could not vote for Obama. If that was true for them, that's undoubtedly true for others, too.

Jon Hakim

November 13, 2012  3:14am

What a false and misleading article. The writers claim that "In Defeats, Evangelicals' Political Unity at All-Time High" and "In three decades, born-again voters have gone from an even split to 4-to-1 Republican." Those claims are completely false. Apparently, the only evangelicals who count to these authors are WHITE evangelicals. Black, Latino, and Asian evangelicals were all much stronger in their support for the Democratic candidate. Yet nowhere in the article are they even mentioned. And though the writers use the term "white evangelical" a couple of times, they ignore it and just say "evangelical" the other times, as if "evangelical" and "white evangelical" are interchangeable. What rubbish.

November 13, 2012  1:30am

RE: Rick Griffin's post: "JFK wouldn't recognize the Democrat party today. In the last 4 decades, the Democrat party has decided to support abortion, gay marriage, and oppose religious freedom. Remember the video of the Democrat convention when the crowd of Democrats actually booed when the speaker claimed the party had adopted a platform mentioning God? The speaker even had to lie about that because the no votes in the voice vote were clearly rejecting the inclusion of God in their platform. No wonder all true Christians have decided to reject them. Only dishonest people would claim that the Democrat party is NOT hostile towards Christians."

November 13, 2012  1:30am

Wayne, I wish you had included what came before that (also, your link doesn't work for me - why?). First of all, it is true that I have NOT said that anyone "is an enemy of Christianity". Secondly, what I posted (which you quoted) is undeniably true. If you and others missed the DNC, it is possible that you aren't aware of those things - though it seems you would have heard about those things by now in the media? (Maybe not, if it's up to the MSM, who have often swept such things under the rug.) The quote you posted actually proves my assertion that my goal is to stick to the issues (the issues raised there are very important to me, and, I would hope, to all Christians). The statements you quoted there are sadly TRUE (as are other things not mentioned there). My question to Christians here is, Do these things NOT bother you? If so, why not?

Wayne Froese

November 13, 2012  12:31am

Asked and given "And NOT ONLY these things, but he (and the Dems) have also deliberately taken anti-God, anti-Bible, anti-Christ stands on the issues, in the Dem platform. Obama has bowed to Islamist kings while dissing Netanyahu. Obamatakes unGodly, unBiblical stands on moral issues" http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/channel/comments/allreviews.html?id=989 26&showall=true

November 13, 2012  12:14am

Wayne, I appreciate your attempt at more humane discussion. I have been simply appalled at the gross disrespect and ugly personal attacks which have been leveled at Bible-believing Christians here. One would think that this would not be so, since this is a Christian-themed website. My goal is always to stick to issues and discuss those issues in the light of God's Word, period. I have occasionally answered personal attacks with the inverse for the purpose of hoping that the other poster could see the problem. I have asked reasonable questions MANY times, always citing God's Word as the standard of truth, but have received few (if any) answers to those questions. When people avoid such questions and give hostile attacks for "answers", I sometimes wonder if they are Christians because: 1) I have learned some aren't, and 2) NonChristians are often trolls at websites like this one. I have not said that anyone is an enemy of Christianity. If you think I have, please cite the evidence.

Wayne Froese

November 12, 2012  11:42pm

@Claire, I don't doubt that you are sincere and that you love God. I believe that current events really concern you and that you want to warn people of danger. The way that you express yourself on the forums is the cause of the replies that you receive. When you make pronouncements that do not acknowledge that reasonable people can disagree with you, you sound close minded and dismissive of your brothers and sisters in Christ. Debates always degenerate from that point and your comments look more like you are here to not express a view but instead cause of a war of words. The name for that on the internet is a "troll". Claire, your message is needed here even if I disagree with it. Saying "Person X is an enemy of Christianity" is unnecessary - you need only provide us the detail and let the Spirit teach.

November 12, 2012  11:25pm

Daniel F. Crawford, is it possible for you to consider the idea that "Republican racism, xenophobia, and social darwinism" (whatever that last term means to you) are false accusations? And that there are Democrats who are racist? (Not to mention their other anti-Biblical stands on issues, as was evidenced at the DNC.)

November 12, 2012  11:24pm

Jon, you continue to lie against me - why? This whole "hate Bible-believing Christians" movement is disturbing in its implications (who is the accuser of the brethren?), and very telling. There is evidence for everything I've stated here, and that evidence did NOT come from any right-wing websites. The link you mentioned is actually at YouTube, and it is simply a compilation of statements from Obama's OWN mouth. Assuming Obama has professed belief in Christ Jesus at some point, MANY of Obama's statements ("holy" Qu'ran, yet mocking the Bible; no National Day of Prayer for him, but yes to Islamic 'holy' days; dissing Christians in 2008, etc) AND actions, including his failure to protect Americans in Libya by commanding our soldiers to Stand Down, don't agree with that profession. Wright's "God damn America" speech, and his (and Lowery's) racism against Caucasians, doesn't either. Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. Are you a Christian, Jon? If so, what is your standard of truth?

November 12, 2012  11:04pm

Kent, why can't you stick to issues, which is what I have done? Your diatribe against me, which consists of false accusations and put-downs, are not worthy of a Christian. Are you a Christian? I have learned that some posters aren't, so I don't take anything for granted. Your misogynistic use of "pouting and hissy fit" would never have been directed at a man with whom you disagree. WHERE did I ever say that God IS a Republican or Democrat or an American? Your anger and hatred have obviously got the best of you. What I *have* done is to reference God's own Word. Do you really believe that God would argue with Himself? Do you really believe that God will honor leaders who blatantly and unashamedly DIShonor Him as was done at the DNC this year? Is it "acting mature" to dishonor God's Word? If the Dems really were "working towards bettering the world by commitment to God's Kingdom", I *could* get on board with them. The implications of your context are VERY chilling to me.

Wayne Froese

November 12, 2012  10:13pm

@Pop Seal: I want to hear how Obama is the Antichrist. If I listen to you, will you listen to me? I'll only reference the scriptures in my reply and link to multiple translations in parallel. I've already read Lindsey's book and Wilkerson's The Vision, Peretti's This Present Darkness, "When your money fails 666" and a host of others so you can get right to the meat of your points - no need for a primer. My hope is that we can share and learn.

Wayne Froese

November 12, 2012  9:58pm

@Pop seal, I apologize for my first reply. It was inappropriate.

Pop Seal

November 12, 2012  7:31pm

We are now faced with the spectre of one who has more parallels in his existence with the one we call anti-Christ, than any other that I've seen since my conversion in 1970 and was handed a copy of Lindsey's, 'The Late Great Planet Earth". My hope is to be proven very wrong and Obama moves to the center.

Daniel F. Crawford

November 12, 2012  6:29pm

Is it possible for one who is passionately pro-life to vote to repudiate Republican racism, xenophobia, and social darwinism?

Jon Trott

November 12, 2012  2:05pm

Claire writes "speeches I've heard from Jeremiah Wright and Rev. Joseph Lowery, who promote racism against Caucasians".... Exactly what entire speech did you hear from Jeremiah Wright? Or was it simply the same old 20 second clips from 2 sermons Wright has preached? Your repetition of false information here -- on various threads -- is difficult not to respond to. I've already confronted you on this, and your only response has been to either repeat the same charges without any corroboration or (in one case) to post a link to a far-right website where THEY say the same things you said... without corroboration. Your habit of doing this is a textbook case of "The Right Wing Echo Chamber" in action. REPEAT LIE... Repeat Lie... repeat lie.. repeat... "So it goes," as Kurt Vonnegut would say. Try this: http://bluechristian.blogspot.com/2008/04/incandescently-clear-why-mainstre am.html Or this: http://bluechristian.blogspot.com/2008/03/god-damn-america-in-biblical-cont ext.html

Kent Schmidt

November 12, 2012  1:41pm

To Claire Guest: Your absolutist statements condemning Democrats for being against God are misleading and tiresome. President Obama won the election with millions of Christians voting for him. God is neither a republican or democrat and for record he is not an American either. So get off the right wing talking points, get over your pouting and hissy fit. Get on board with all those working towards bettering the world by commitment to God's Kingdom. Work with the President even if you disagree with some of the policies of the democratic party. Time to act mature.

Jeremy Kelly

November 11, 2012  3:03pm

So Rick, are you saying that people who voted for Obama are not Christians? Do you think God sees it that way to? Is Obama a Christian? On over 20 occasions he's confessed publicly to be a Christian. He attended/s a Christian church. One may struggle with Jeremiah Wright but would you say he's not a Christian either? Have you read Obama's 2008 speech on race? Do you know Obama personally and know his heart? I find your worldview looking through a toilet paper roll very narrow. I think you need to come out of isolation and experience the rest of humanity. There are many confessing and practicing Christians I know personally who voted for Obama. They voted for him because he doesn't talk about the poor, weak, and disadvantaged in our culture as though he read about them once out of a textbook (like Romney sounds). His attitude towards people is far more Christ-like than most evangelicals today who, as many youths have told me, always sound bitter, hateful, and angry. Hmmm

Wayne Froese

November 11, 2012  10:46am

If you want to live in a country of laws under our constitution, you must support those who disagree with you. I support the atheist's right to not be forced by their government to have any particular religious observance. Anyone who wants religious freedom in country "X" but not in the U.S. is being dishonest. Linking a party with any religion is to stand against an individual's responsibility for their own soul. I will not join Rick in describing true Christians. Judging from the elections demography , Rick thinks that the only true Christians are male, white, above age 35, live in the South, come from states with the poorest education, greater users of pornography, and take the most from the government programs. Rick, do you recommend that Christians use their current majority to force others to convert?

Rick Griffin

November 10, 2012  8:21pm

Tim Brady

November 10, 2012  3:58pm

Claire, I am still trying to understand your comments. Mr Romney has said he is a Mormon. Where has President Obama said he is a Marxist? How would you define HIS Marxist philosophy? Can a person be a Christian and a Marxist? Since over half of the people voted for the President do you think they want to live in a Marxist country. How does what you say help unify the body of Christ or/and our country ?

stephen paul delsol

November 10, 2012  12:04pm

We need to bring commonsense back to Christian conservative conversations with regards to President Barack Obama. This election result was an act of God! He is a mathematician. If 72% of the population is white, and 39% voted for President Obama, in the natural he should not have won this election. Yet he won with 332 electoral votes. Romney with 60% of the white votes lost heavily with (206) votes. Seventy eight percent of white evangelicals voted for Romney. God is impartial! After 40 Days of praying for this election by evangelicals, God has spoken. President Barack Obama is God's choice. Let us now accept the result, repent if we harbor any hatred for the President, and let us love him, as God loves him. The first place to begin is to call him "President Obama" as a mark of basic respect for God's creation and the office of the presidency.

Gary Moore

November 10, 2012  7:14am

If there was a false prophet in this election, it was Karl Rove, W's chief of staff who also did not anticipate the financial crash and Great Recession, who predicted in both the WSJ and Rox that a landslide for Romney was inevitable. But he said one prophetic thing: that the GOP is too old, rich, white and male to win another national election. I'd add it's also too southern. Over the years, I've grown to believe there's an economic connection between the rich and southern conservative Christians, who usually aren't. Due to the gospel of Any Rand and the prosperity gospel, which is baptized Ayn Rand, they both want to be even richer. And they're afraid social spending, which is among the lowest in the developed world, will prevent them achieving that false promised land. I'd suggest that anytime we are nearly unanimous in supporting a candidate whose largest donors are a false prophet and a Las Vegas casino operator, it might be time to read the Bible rather than voter's guides.

November 09, 2012  11:32pm

Laura, you've made unjust accusations and have reached an inaccurate conclusion. Others here have too - you've just been more forthright in your statements. I do not see the Romney/Obama race as having been between a Mormon and a Christian, but rather as having been between a Mormon and a Marxist. This is based on Obama's own words and actions. The "hate card" has been used wrongly to condemn people who don't hate Obama at all, but simply disagree with his ideology, his policies, his promotion of big government, and much more. If you are accusing people like me of hating Obama because of his skin color, let me assure you that I have voted for conservatives of varying ethnicities, and I would LOVE to have such a Godly, conservative president. OF COURSE Christ Jesus opposes abortion! He gave stern warnings to anyone who would harm a child and said, "As you have done it to THE LEAST OF THESE, you have done it unto me." Babies in their mothers' wombs are definitely THE LEAST OF THESE.

November 09, 2012  9:26pm

Gregory Peterson, the Liberation Theology movement itself, and its offspring, Black Liberation Theology, are both based on Marxism and Marxist ideology. I've known about this for at least 30 years. If you are really unaware of Obama's background, the fact that he was indoctrinated in Marxist thought from the time he was little - first, by his white mother and maternal grandfather, then by his chosen Communist mentors, including Frank Marshall Davis and Saul Alinsky, then in his chosen BLT church whose pastor preaches hatred for whites a la' Rev. Joseph Lowery of the SCLC, who says all white people go to Hell - then your knowledge is sadly lacking. It seems more likely to me that you do know about all this and choose to deny it. The MSM certainly swept all this under the rug 4 years ago instead of vetting Obama as they have routinely done with other presidential candidates. A lot of people have enabled Obama to get to where he is today, with such denials and misinformation.

Annette Lengyel

November 09, 2012  8:07pm

What is not accounted for in this numbers game are those Christians among the one-third of the electorate that did not vote or those evangelical Christians who have exited the fold due to the politicization of the church and are now unaffiliated. There are a growing number of us in the None category these days. That the vote has changed from 50-50 in 1982 to the 4-to-1 white support for Romney is also a testament to the success of the "Moral Majority" propaganda machine that infiltrated American evangelicalism 30 years ago, and has had a stunning totalitarian thought-control effect. This should give pause to the American church for reflection on how far the Church has strayed from her identity and mission and how divided she is along racial and ideological lines. If right-wing politics and white-wing religion become increasingly marginalized and irrelevant in western society, it is a fate of our own making.

Gregory Peterson

November 09, 2012  6:56pm

Claire Guest...accusing Black leaders of being Marxists to marginalize and silence them was a common tactic of the "Massive Resistance" movement. The Black Liberation movement was a Christian movement. In any case, you might be surprised at how you have been influenced by Marxism...which after all, put the "ism" in Capitalism. Marx himself had been raised a Christian and studied the top Christian theologians of his day...which is reflected in his dialectical materialism.

Gregory Peterson

November 09, 2012  6:40pm

Doug Quenzer...if Black voters are like lemmings, then Mississippi Evangelicals are even more lemming like, right? If you think that the President has done nothing for the Black community...perhaps you aren't paying attention? News One for Black America spells it out. President Obama’s administration oversaw the $1.2 billion settlement awarded to Black farmers. President Obama signed an executive order increasing funding for Historically Black Colleges and Universities (a program that was initiated by Pres. Reagan.) Signed The Crack Cocaine Bill (Fair Sentencing Act). Passed Health Care Reform (Affordable Care Act). More than 19 percent of African Americans do not have health care, according to The Root. Created The Civil Rights Division Of The Justice Department. The U.S. Justice Department is leading one of the most aggressive defenses of civil rights in recent memory.

LAURA C STEEL

November 09, 2012  4:42pm

American evangelicalism has been damaged by rationalizing that it is better to vote for a conservative Mormon than for a liberal Christian. Many Christians do not just disagree with Obama about abortion and gay marriage--they hate him passionately, thus justifying their vote for Romney. This is the real tragedy and legacy of the 2012 election: Christian votes were influenced by hate. Christians seem to think that if Jesus were here, he would go with them to the anti-abortion rally and forward their nasty emails about Obama. Somehow I doubt that.

Doug Quenzer

November 09, 2012  4:16pm

Yes and if evangelicals would vote we would not have Obama as the President! I am thoroughly disheartened by so-called Bible believing black churches that vote like lemmings for a President that is promoting destructive policies like abortion and gay marriage. What has he done for the Black community? He's run this country into the ditch financially. And Black unemployment is at an all time high. It's completely puzzling to me. I can understand "black pride" but how about the Lordship of Christ? Aren't we to be more loyal to Him?

DR PAUL JULICH

November 09, 2012  9:54am

Thoughtful article and interesting comments. We evangelicals might be better served if we turned off news channels and pundents that are simply stirring up emotions and spent that time getting a better grasp of who Jesus is in the Gospels. Phillip Yancey's book "The Jesus I Never Knew" was helpful to me. "the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control....

samuel Shropshire

November 09, 2012  8:00am

I heard one evangelical leader refer to Obama’s re-election as the beginning of a "Post Christian Era" in American history. But I say it could possibly be our Revived Christian Era as those who claim to be followers of Jesus begin to reconsider their ways--begging God for His forgiveness for not having demonstrated God's compassion for humankind by behaving as Jesus would behave towards sinners of all stripes and persuasions. ("In that while we were yet sinners" God demonstrated his love (e.g. not hate) towards us [Romans 5:28]). This is no time to take pride in our self-righteousness. God hates the self-righteous, prideful. It is time for those who claim to be "His people" to humble themselves and repent (2 Chronicles 7:14). "(Jesus) told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: ‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

J Thomas

November 09, 2012  3:18am

America, as a nation, has turned its back on God. Our culture has become an overwhelmingly hedonistic one, and we have institutionalized the rejection of God from the public square. God is an inconvenience for many Americans. It's uncomfortable for people to even talk about God these days. The federal government is expanding its reach into our lives, and everywhere that reach extends, they remove God from that corner of life. Federal employees are strongly discouraged from even the mention of God in the workplace. Christians are discriminated against in more and more ways. We do not have the same freedoms here anymore. The weight of the pressure of the mainstream media is fully on the back of Christians in this country. We have fled from God. "Even the elect will be deceived." God blesses corporately, and we move away from those blessings corporately. Now comes the judgment. Judgment is to be expected, and many will flee the church in the new America. Repent and be saved.

November 09, 2012  2:19am

Brian, I mostly agree with you here because I too wonder how and why "evangelicals" are divvied up into different ? groups. To me, a Bible-believing Christian is just that, regardless of his or her cultural differences (or similarities). I *am* puzzled, though, by your statement here: "I would argue that partisanship among Christians is less about religion (though we think it is)..." I thought Christianity was ONE faith - faith in Christ Jesus as revealed in His Word, by the Holy Spirit. Can you explain what you meant?

November 09, 2012  2:14am

Stephanie, I have a number of Asian American relatives who attend various churches, some of which are mostly Asian American and some of which are totally integrated. Regardless of their church affiliation, though, they said they could not support Obama in any way.

November 09, 2012  2:12am

Kent, can you cite examples of the extremely bigoted comments you made re: Robertson and Graham? I know that Robertson has made some off-the-wall comments from time to time, but I also know that his ministry (including Operation Blessing) is very involved in ministering to ALL people, making no difference of culture. Franklin Graham's organization, Samaritan's Purse is even MORE SO, devoted to ministering to people ALL OVER THE WORLD. I have not seen evidence for the heinous charges you've made. BTW - both Operation Blessing and Samaritan's Purse have been very active in helping victims of Hurricane Sandy, and are still actively ministering to people in the same area who are affected by the subsequent storm.

November 09, 2012  2:06am

Jon - again, you play the race card and the 'South' card. I have lived in the South, so I know that neither of these 'cards' apply to the South more than they do to any other region of the country in which I've lived. MANY churches in the South are fully integrated now. My family is too (I have a number of relatives who are minorities), and the ones who live in the South say they are actually treated better there than they were in Detroit and Philly! God says that there is ONE race - we are all of one blood. These stereotypical generalizations you make are not Godly, and they are very divisive. Practice what you preach, man.

Jon Trott

November 08, 2012  3:52pm

Mormonism and White Evangelicalism may be theologically different... but they are sociologically identical. And that is worth some self-examination, in my opinion. Mormonism has at best a 3% black membership (and considering their history I'm surprised it is that high). White Evangelicalism's Southern derivatives, which are its largest, also feature small minority membership. What is right in front of us? Why, our own preconceptions regarding what is "normal"... as well as an idea of a mythical "Christian America" that absolutely haunts the Christian Right. Can we not let go of that dangerous and subversive to the Gospel of Jesus idea? It is marginalizing us for all the wrong reasons and blunting our witness to a culture which increasingly does not have to listen to grumpy old white men any more.... even if those old white men are born again.

Kent Schmidt

November 08, 2012  2:42pm

Again white evangelicals are marginalized by their narrow ideological stand. As American white evangelicals circle their wagons to keep out the "un-American" and protect their mormon-like vision of America , they increasingly will become irrelevant not only to society but to the Kingdom of God. Sadly the extreme right wing fanaticism of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Franklin Graham has won over evangelicals but lost any positive influence for Christ.

Stephanie Wong

November 08, 2012  1:44pm

I am not sure that these statistics shed much new light on evangelicalism. The fact that "white evangelicals backed Romney by nearly a four-to-one margin" just shows that the white evangelical block voted the same direction as the white contingency more generally. Several of the news analysts have been making much of the way that voters who are white/male/over 40 voted Republican... so is that the profile of evangelical that's assumed here? I think it would be more interesting if this article considered the more interesting cases... For example, I was reading statistics earlier that the Asian American community voted 75% in favor of Obama, which is interesting given that the Asian American evangelical community is pretty big. What about young African American evangelical votors? Old Latino evangelical votors? Recent immigrant Indian American voters? Anyways, I think you get my gist... the consolidation emphasized here seems to already assume a pretty limited view of who's evangelical

Margaret Branch

November 08, 2012  12:15pm

So basically, the evangelicals back the Republicans regardless of who the candidate is, so long as he or she is opposed to same-sex marriage, abortion and stem cell research. And since Romney agrees with evangelicals, his loss is their loss. That's just sad! In my readings of the Gospels, I see Jesus caring for the poor and the hungry and those on the fringe of society. The religious right remind me of the group who brought the woman caught in adultery to Jesus. They were so bent on administering the legal punishment due to her, they neglected to try to get her out of the untenable situation she was in. Why aren't evangelicals trying to help some of these "dirty sinners" see the light? And if POTUS Obama is going to help the poor, he would get my vote 1000 times if I was an American and able to vote. But I am not and you can tell me to keep out of your business. I don't really care. I am just glad that God is in control of everything including US elections and glad HIS will gets done.

gordon payne

November 08, 2012  11:05am

Wonder how CFH Henry (Has Democracy had its Day?) would respond to the characterization of Evangelicalism here. From the incursion of the 'social gospel' to the outright political, and there to the advocacy of certain denominational essentials. Is there any wonder, to the chagrin of some, that from the authority of neo-orthodoxy and free church affiliation there has morphed an establishmentarian political creed, and there from baby-boomer rebellion? Both Mourdock and Akins lost because of their foisting religious issues (uncompromizing in their adherence to strict dogma) to national political levels unsupported by the traditional governing principles, which insist on State and local determination, and there because of the importance of the matter to the people as a whole at the closest level of political participation, and there despite a destructive nationalism in the jurisprudence. More is at issue here - national socialism under religious pretense.

November 08, 2012  10:59am

Keith, your comment was obviously satirical. Just wanted to clarify, though - JFK's election was not an endorsement of Catholicism. And Jimmy Carter's election was not an endorsement of the Southern Baptist Convention. Nor has any other president's election been an endorsement of his church. Can you really not see that?

KEITH E JOHNSTON

November 08, 2012  10:50am

I suspect that the change in evangelical voting patterns is due to more time spent in Bible study and prayer. The '40 Days of Prayer and Fasting' certainly paid off as we celebrate the election of President Mitt Romney. We can only hope that the implicit endoresement of Mormonism expressed by our voting for President Romney will not come back to haunt us. It probably won't as we recognize that the real enemy of God is socialism and Islam or Islamic socialists or Socialistic Islamists and not clean-cut white Mormons.

November 08, 2012  9:56am

James S, EVERY nation's laws are based on someone's ideology. It's not a question of IF our laws will be determined by someone's ideology - the only question is, WHOSE ideology will be the basis of our laws? There is no Constitutional rule of law or precedent for many issues which are being decided today without bipartisanship, often by Obama's HUNDREDS of Executive Orders which he has used to bypass the legislative safeguards set up by our founders. The very existence of our nation, not only its future, is imperiled by these things. YES, it is our job to spread the Gospel, absolutely. At the same time, does spreading the Gospel mean we cannot obey Christ Jesus' injunction to "occupy until He comes"? He says we are to be salt (a preservative) in a decaying culture - light in the gathering darkness. This definitely includes sharing the Gospel, but I don't believe it precludes speaking out for what is right and good, and speaking out against what is wrong.

James Stevenson

November 08, 2012  9:47am

I think that evangelicals should get out from under the yoke of political activism and not be dependent on politicians to push our moral convictions. It is our job to spread the gospel - into our communities, our work places and our places of recreation. This is the command of Christ. We should give unto Caesar that which is Caesars, but reaching the world for Christ is our responsibility.

James Aist

November 08, 2012  8:27am

We need not panic or despair when we see the immoral liberal movement advancing. Jesus told us that this world would get much worse before His next coming, that we are not to become alarmed (Matthew 25), and that “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33). We don’t like the moral degeneration in the world, but we know that none of it is a surprise to God, that God is still sovereign and in control, and that God will bring righteousness and justice to the world and create a dwelling place for His elect that is free from evildoers altogether (Revelation 22:14-15). Our job is to remain faithful to His Word and to His instructions (Matthew 28:18-20) until the end, however and whenever that end comes for each of us. This is where we can find peace and joy in the midst of escalating spiritual darkness until that time. More at http://rethinkingtheology.com/2012/09/03/the-gay-agenda-what-in-the-world-i s-going-on/

November 07, 2012  11:58pm

www.francisschaeffer.org: "I am very confident that God's sovereign will is being done. However, one thing I am also confident of, and lament over, is that our country will see more authoritarianism, statism, debt, unemployment, poverty, corruption, pain and further social manipulation. We will now get what most of us voted for and we will see that what we were sold as "health care" is no care at all and will be to our despair. If America survives through its plunder, there will be hope, but it will not be without suffering great loss. We are truly in trouble and must begin to speak with the most sober and earnest remarks that we can muster in this regard. We must be about proclaiming the Gospel and bringing real hope and change to one person at a time. In the midst of great hurt, our healing work will be needed. For lastly, I am confident in this above all else... that Christ reigns, King of kings, Lord of lords."

November 07, 2012  11:50pm

Jeremy Kelly, how can we say that we 'love our neighbor' if we are willing for the youngest, most innocent, most helpless among us to be killed - for no other reason than that they are not convenient??? And do you REALLY believe it means NOTHING to God when His professed people so smugly discard His Word to the point of re-defining what HE says is perversion and abomination as "marriage"??? He took out whole civilizations for such things. Don't think America is immune to His wrath - Christ Jesus said, "Of whom much is given, much is required." America has MUCH to answer for, and God said in His Word (through Peter) that "Judgment must begin at the house of God." Ruth Graham spoke prophetically when she said, "If God does not judge America, He'll have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah."

November 07, 2012  11:46pm

Heather, I am fully aware that Mormons are not Bible-believing Christians. The kicker is, neither is Obama. He was indoctrinated in Marxism from childhood, chose Marxist mentors as he grew up, and chose a Marxist Black Liberation Theology church as a grown man. The viable choices this year were a Mormon and a Marxist. Even if you believe Obama is a Christian, consider the words of Christ Jesus in Revelation where He condemned lukewarm believers who did not stand strong in His Word (surely you know how grievously Obama has mocked and violated God's Word). Jesus said He prefers that people be hot or cold.

Heather Harrison

November 07, 2012  11:08pm

I just don't understand why Christians are so supportive of Romney. Mormonism and Christianity do not even share the same beliefs. They are diametrically opposed to each other. It makes no sense!

John Hubers

November 07, 2012  7:30pm

This may say as much about the sad state of evangelicalism in America as it does about some illusory unity. In point of fact there has been an illegitimate marriage of a faith that proclaims the Good News of Christ to the poor and needy with a creed that baptizes an aggressive capitalism where the strong survive and poor are left to scramble for the crumbs, justifies war as a "solution" to conflict and middle class morality as a substitute for the Sermon on the Mount. In too many evangelical churches what we are witnessing is the Gospel being proclaimed in the guise of right wing political philosophy which means that what this election may have been about is God saying "enough already! This does not represent who I am. No party represents who I am. Stop worshiping the American gods." It's time evangelicals stop believing that the political demise of our president will bring the Kingdom in. Confession and prayer is what's needed now.

Steve Skeete

November 07, 2012  7:22pm

From some of the commentary that I have heard it seems that those believers in Christ who support the Republican party, as well as the party itself, must come to grips with the fact that the USA is an extremely liberal society. The way the story is told the culture wars have ended and the Democrats have won. People voted overwhelmingly for a president despite his pro-abortion, pro-homosexual positions. They voted for him in spite of the state of the economy, and record level unemployment. Blacks, hispanics and women were sold on him. Although we can understand the reason for the massive black vote, Republican must seriously question whether they need to stop beating the drums of war on abortion and homosexuality since American are saying 'live and let live' on these issues. Face it Republican Party and believers, America is going the way of Europe - post Christian. Newer strategies must be found and adopted. Start with leaders living above scandal. There is too much 'sin in the camp'.

Jeremy Kelly

November 07, 2012  3:46pm

Philip and Todd, I whole-heartedly agree with your statements. I feel the the abortion issue and homosexuality (while important) have completely overshadowed Christ's call for us to love our neighbor and defend the disadvantaged. I am very disgusted with the evangelical community for ignoring the fact that Romney is Mormon. I thought this was a cult. I thought we are to be defenders of the Christian faith and orthodoxy. Is our lust for power in the White House so strong that we have not considered how our sponsoring and embracing Mormonism will have extreme consequences for future generations of Christians who will once again have to make a stand against this heresy? Mormonism is NOT Classical Christianity. I fear that we have made a grave mistake of giving it our stamp of approval, legitimacy, and removed it from our cult lists (Billy Graham!). What sort of message have we given to young Christians across the U.S.? That it is okay to trade faith for power?

Phillip Donald Sr

November 07, 2012  3:06pm

For the real Christians there was no defeat. "Is there anything too hard for the Lord?". Racism received a black eye. Many "Church" people misunderstood God. The Obama victory is a victory for God and by God. Christians understand God often speaks in mysterious ways and this is one of those times. Too often and far too long church people in America have overlooked basic human rights for all especially for people of color. But God so equipped a man with both white and black heritage and has revealed over the last four years the ugliness our racist American heritage. Abortion, gay marriage, gay rights are great concerns of Christians and church people. And they should be. But God speaks to the nation ("Under God") about things she has left undone such as, "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and "Justice for all". Now much more evil is upon us and all around us and we have little to no idea what to do. Have we tried to understand God? "If my people who are called by my name . . .

Todd Jenkins

November 07, 2012  2:03pm

This election was even more interesting than '08 from a Christian perspective. Back then I wondered how the Religious Right would turn when the GOP bill came down to 3 adulterers and a Mormon. The least offensive adulterer got the nod and lost, despite all the prayers and moral protestations. This year the adulterers fell early and we were left with the Mormon. While much discussion ensued about Romney's "Christianness", most white Evangelicals lined up behind him because of the same two issues they've obsessed over since Reagan: abortion and gay marriage. Neglecting Romney's open indifference towards the poor -- the primary cornerstone of Christ's own ministry -- the Evangelical machine marched on, with more prayers and protestations... to another defeat. Now I wonder when white Evangelicals will realize that, while abortion and homosexuality are still topics to discuss, they've ignored Christ's own teachings across the board. God simply will not bless those who shun the poor.

Jim Gustafson

November 07, 2012  1:42pm

Agree very much with Bruce and Brian. Evangelical should not, must not, imply white or American or conservative. Another observation (or concern, or suspicion) from this report: are white, American evangelicals making an idol of conservative American politics? Are they looking to the Elephant for succor, when they should look to the Lamb?

Jon Trott

November 07, 2012  1:38pm

Brian, Bruce, thank you very much for those thoughtful posts. Personally, I'm trying to absorb the good messages we got from both a gracious-in-defeat Mitt Romney and inclusive-in-victory President Obama. How can we as Christians move toward one another -- and toward other Christians, even non-christians -- in this pluralistic world we inhabit? Can we find the many goods of pluralism vs the old hierarchies of the past? Can we discover the truth in Paul's admonition in Galatians: "There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus." Yes, we must bear witness to truth. But maybe we need to more closely examine "our" truth vs God's Truth... and here I mean "us" as in white Evangelicals. Pluralism requires much listening, much reassessing. At this point, as the election results prove, we no longer have the white luxury of not listening. We need each other.

Derek C

November 07, 2012  1:26pm

@Brian and @Bruce - +10!

Bruce Mason

November 07, 2012  1:00pm

Masterfully put, Brian. Also, if we think of ourselves as global Christians (as we ought), we will find a much different take on political issues, as well as certain issues of personal morality and practice, among evangelical believers on other continents. We would learn so much if we gained more knowledge of Christianity as a worldwide movement, rather than seeing every issue through the prism of white American conservatism.

Brian Howell

November 07, 2012  11:32am

This is an interesting and helpful article, but there's one problem with it. This is only about White evangelicals. This needs to be explicit. I think it's problematic that the term "evangelical" is used with the adjective "White" being only understood, and not stated. Up to 1/3 of hispanic voters, and an even higher percentage of African American voters can be called "evangelical" by every theological criterion, but they broke decidedly for Obama. I would argue that partisanship among Christians is less about religion (though we think it is) and more about class, race, and culture.

Ed Fernandez

November 07, 2012  11:05am

I didn't (and still don't) like to be labeled. But if people "had to," I preferred to be called "Evangelical" than "Liberal" or something else. Now I just want to be BIBLICAL and RATIONAL.

View this article in Reader Mode