Guest / Limited Access /

While evangelical leaders have long protested that evangelicalism is politically diverse and is a theological identifier rather than a political one, it appears that evangelicals are more politically unified than ever before. But in most results from ...

Displaying 1–20 of 85 comments.

1 2 3 4 5 next page   Show All

Jon Hakim

November 19, 2012  10:25am

I'm still waiting for the authors to explain why they think it's okay to act like the only real evangelicals are white evangelicals. They purposely ignore Black evangelicals, Latino evangelicals, Asian-American evangelicals, and Native American evangelicals in all their statistics. And in most cases, including the headline, they don't even admit that they're ignoring them! So what if 94% of White evangelicals voted for Romney in Mississippi - almost all White people in Mississippi voted for Romney! But don't the Black and Latino and Asian evangelicals, who may have had a different opinion, have a vote that counts too? Why are "African-Americans" a separate category there, as if they're not evangelical? I've commented before, sent an email, left a message...why haven't the authors realized how important this issue is? If you're going to segregate voters out and only count the White people, at least be clear that you're doing it and explain why.

Paul Schryba

November 16, 2012  10:56pm

Claire: There are many factors in the decline of the middle class and increase in the numbers of poor, not do to Pres. Obama. The elimination of good paying government jobs at all levels through budget cuts is one of them, ignored by you. The migration of jobs overseas is another; you have implied elsewhere that is due to over taxation and government regulation. While that is a factor, I suggest to you that it is more due to the fact that there are millions of poor who are willing to work at subsistence level in countries that have no minimum wage, don't care about workplace safety and environmental conditions. Owners who seek only to 'maximize profit' and 'remain competitive' build where its cheap; and Joe/Josephine Six Pack buying cheap Chinese at the local mega-store, bypassing small business. Some poor have no choice- most do. Walmart reported a 9% increase in 3rd quarter sales, and accounted for 10% of non-auto retail sales in the US.

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 16, 2012  4:50am

I was very interested to read your response Claire. I think I can understand where you are coming from in terms of abortion, re-definition of marriage and immigration. I do have sympathy with your arguments. However the use of certain pieces of Biblical texts to back up the argument is choosing one text against the other. We have to take the whole gamut of God's word in order to understand what God is saying. Even then it would be somewhat arrogant to say we all know the mind of God. I do not believe I am biased towards Mr Obama and thus I am against Mr Romney. As you know Mr Romney came here and most people found him obnoxious and arrogant in the extreme. Perhaps I just do not see things in such black & white terms. Behind every decision and action there is a human face and when I am with folk who are facing very difficult decisions I choose to listen to them and as Ken Leech "walk through their hell with them."

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  2:45am

Rod Hale and Phillip Donald Sr, Christ Jesus said, "As you have done it to THE LEAST OF THESE, you have done it unto Me." The little babies in their mothers' wombs are definitely THE LEAST OF THESE. Why are you so willing to deny them "the right to Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" and true Justice? Obama's and Dems' view of "women's rights" has become equal to "legal license to kill their children". And when they deign to re-define GOD's definition of morality/immorality AND His definition of marriage, that is unmitigated arrogance. Under Obama, the rich have NOT become poorer, BUT the middle class and working poor HAVE. He has bailed out huge corporations, but has gone after SMALL BUSINESS. Gas prices are TWICE what they were 4 years ago, as are grocery prices. National Debt has exponentially INCREASED to 16 TRILLION (increasing every minute). God says He honors those who honor HIM. Obama/Dems do not honor HIM (prime example: DNC), so we cannot expect Him to honor them.

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  12:59am

Annie, I realize that since you don't live in the USA, your view is necessarily limited, just as mine would be of issues in the UK. Your view of Obama and Romney seems to be very biased, and you also seem to equate government with God. Romney gives generously to charity (widows, orphans, the poor), but Obama does not. Government taxation does NOT equal charity. Christ Jesus did tell His people to care for others, but He did NOT ever once tell them to use a government to do that, nor did He ever once encourage them to look to a government to meet their needs - only GOD Himself (Matthew 6:33). The Word of God is always balanced - He said, "If a man will not work, then neither shall he eat." Yet our government defies God's Word by supporting people who are not willing to work. Government corruption is rampant - taxes are typically used NOT to help those who really need help, but are in fact wasted on many things (Solyndra is just one example), including fattening already-fat cats.

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  12:59am

Jeri Joyce, why do you assume people hate Obama simply because they disagree with him? This "hate card" has been used and abused to condemn people who don't hate Obama at all, who only disagree with his ideology, his policies, and more. If you are accusing people like me of opposing Obama because of his skin color, let me assure you that I have voted for conservatives of varying ethnicities, and I would LOVE to have such a Godly, conservative president. IMHO, the people who are most discriminated against in our nation, politically speaking, are African-American conservatives. They are villified with extremely hateful names - "Uncle Tom" is a mild one, sad to say. One who recently ran for office brought up an excellent point: He pointed out the fact that Republicans are criticized for being too "vanilla" (which is a false accusation), but that when black people do run as Reps, they are villified and demonized for it. This creates a Catch-22, no-win situation. Surely you can see that.

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  12:41am

P.S. Jeri Joyce: I too wonder how and why "evangelicals" are divvied up into different groups. To me, a Bible-believing Christian is just that, regardless of any superficial differences. It is unjust for Obama and other Dems to falsely accuse Reps of "war on women", when in reality they use "women's rights" as a euphemism for giving women license to kill their babies - this is a REAL war on babies (death toll = almost 60 MILLION!) Does this, and the fact that Obama has given such emphatic support for re-defining GOD's definition of marriage, not bother you? Do you really see these things as positives, since these things are in direct opposition to the Word of God? If Galatians 6:7 is true (I absolutely believe it is), then our nation WILL reap bitter fruit, as such things incur the Judgment of God on ANY nation - this is clear in the Scriptures. The Lord says that He honors those who honor Him, but Obama has not honored God. I do not see a holy fear of God in him, only defiance.

Claire Guest

November 15, 2012  12:23am

Jeremy, RE a comment I made earlier: "MANY Americans are descended from LEGAL immigrants who came to this country looking for a better life, were grateful to be here, willing to learn the language, very thankful to become naturalized citizens." To be clear, I have NO PROBLEM with people who come from other countries with this attitude. I have lived in areas where illegal immigrants created serious problems through destructive and dangerous gang activity, they were not willing to learn the language, and had no desire to become naturalized citizens. Friends and relatives in border states such as Arizona and New Mexico have seen even worse. What's the point in having laws for citizens' protection if they're not enforced? The recent 'Fast and furious' debacle illustrates the foolishness of this. If churches and individuals help immigrants, why not help them work toward becoming naturalized citizens? That seems totally logical to me.

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  4:10pm

Annie I value and welcome your response as intriguing from an outside perspective. Thank you for your comments. They are refreshing and interesting. I often wonder how foreigners view U.S. politics and American Christians involvement in it. Very interesting thoughts indeed! Blessings!

Jeri Joyce

November 14, 2012  3:59pm

Evangelicals, I am also a CHRISTIAN! If you are not racists, why does the PRESIDENT bother you so much? When George Bush was sending this nation to hell in a gas basket, where were you? Oops I forgot, he's white and Mr. Obama is only HALF WHITE! What will you tell God when you stand before him? He made us all! I will support the President as long as God allows him to preside over this nation. For those who think that The President did nothing his first four years in office, why don't you read about all that he's done. If you can't get to Washington, I suggest you to to google and look up his accomplishments over the past four years. You will be shocked to find how you've benefited. Oh yes, the media tell you what they what you to hear because they know you won't research and read but will listen to whatever comes across a television screen. READ!!! Galatians 6:7

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 14, 2012  2:53pm

Interestingly that the early church was all about looking after the widows and orphans, foreigners etc. The poor were cared for. Barnabas so caught the vision that he sold his lands and put in the communal pot in order to help the less provided for. Even slaves were to be treated with respect and kindness! I find none of these sentiments from the Republicans. That doesn't mean the Democrats do show more Christian values but as someone said: "Better to have Obama health care than Romney's no health care." This is probably why I do not see myself as an "evangelical" but more of a "Liberationist." Jesus was quite clear about how we should treat one another. Judgement did not come into it. The only judgement he revealed was against Pharisees Jewish leaders of the day. I think we all need to go back to our Bibles and read it properly and not rely on others to tell us all what it means. The Bible is not there to pick and choose from. Love thy neighbour as thyself, Jesus added!!!

Annie Weatherly-Barton

November 14, 2012  2:42pm

I hope all the American folk commenting on this article will forgive a Britisher from throwing her penny worth into this debate. Like many here I find it extraordinary that "evangelical Christians" in the USA are overwhelmingly voting for the Republican Party? Utterly confused sitting here reading this article. From a "foreigner" perspective and what I have heard on CNN et al, Romney was promoted as the "Christian" voice? He's a Mormon - their whole faith is based on a lie!!! Some of the speeches I have seen and heard are ultra right wing, racist, certainly anti-black and not in the least compassionate to those who are poor. Moreover they appeared to be set to disenfranchise all poor folk black or white! Well, like or not, I prayed that Mr Obama got another term in office as Mitt Romney scared the hell out of me. No he and his fellow Right wingers were not speaking any Biblically-Based words of comfort and love. Rather the opposite: Judgmental - very Pharisaical & extreme.

Rod Hale

November 14, 2012  11:34am

You say this as if it's something in which to be proud. I consider myself an evengelical christian but also a compassionate human beging who believes we are in fact " our brothers keeper" and should consider this when we vote. The issues are more than gay rights and abortion but you would not think so in the evengelical community.

yvette moore

November 14, 2012  11:21am

Why is the term "evangelical" or "born-again Christian" consistently used when what's really being referred to is WHITE evangelicals etc?

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  10:35am

Claire resonse cont...I am a husband and a father of two young children. I have to admit that if we were suffering in Mexico, I would be the first to take my chances to get my family to safety, legal or not. I have a friend from Canada who has been trying to get citizenship...he is on year six! We need politicians who care and will intitiate reform. We don't need walls and a firing squad on our borders. I think scripture has a lot to say on this issue in our attitudes toward immigrants/aliens. The Law, not to mention the prophets are far more generous then the conservative right tends to be on this issue. I don't wish to lump you in with them here...I am however interested in your opinion on what has been titled "illegal immigrants."

Jeremy Kelly

November 14, 2012  10:26am

Claire, thank you for your response. I too am a descendent of immigrants from Ireland and Sicily. My Irish great-grandfather told stories of not being able to go into stores and bars because signs would read "No Dogs or Irish allowed!" Immigrants have always been prejudiced against in this country, legal or illegal. My problem with the conservative stance on immigration is that they seem to have harsh attitudes toward immigrants who have not gone through the legal avenues of naturalization. They label them "illegals" which feels rather degrading. They too are created in God's image, aren't they? Should we as Christians turn any away? Should they be deported and given amnesty? Many come here because they are escaping horrible situations in foreign countries. And let's face it, America has not necessary been the best model for "loving your neighbor" when it comes to our friends in Central and Latin America.

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:10am

Jeremy Kelly asked me, "What is your position on immigrants?" Jeremy, thank you for simply ASKING me this question without assuming you knew how I would answer and/or making a false accusation along that line. My position on immigration is this: I have NO PROBLEM - zip, nada, zilch - with LEGAL immigration, period. MANY Americans are descended from LEGAL immigrants who came to this country looking for a better life, were grateful to be here, willing to learn the language, very thankful to become naturalized citizens. Both my husband and I are descended from native Americans AND legal immigrants who came here through Ellis Island, we've had the privilege of knowing some of those dear people and their descendants, and we learned many valuable and important lessons from them when we were young -- one grandmother who was full-blood native American lived to be 97 years old, and we enjoyed her life well into adulthood.

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:08am

Wayne, again you have accused me falsely (and again you have not answered the question(s) I raised in my last post to you). I have not excluded anyone from any group - in fact, I have plainly stated a number of times, "GOD is the only Righteous Judge". As a matter of conscience, because God's Word is my standard of truth, I *will* stand with God's Word - as Christ Jesus said, His Word IS Truth, and it is as we continually abide in His Word that we are set free. I've noticed that a number of posters here cannot seem to stick to issues or post humanely when they reply to conservative Bible-believing Christians (or else they just don't want to), but I have not seen you rebuke any of them at any time.. Christ Jesus said, "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks."

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:05am

Jon, I have not borne false witness or sinned against a brother in Christ, but you have borne false witness against me, a child of God. My conscience is totally clear because what I have learned has come mostly from direct sources who are adherents to Black Liberation Theology, not detractors. Frankly, I am shocked that anyone who is reasonably informed DOES NOT know these things are true. As for the video at YouTube, you have misrepresented it. Whoever put that up did NOT put the word "holy" in Obama's mouth whenever he has spoken about the Qu'ran, nor did he or she put the words which mocked the Bible and Christians in his mouth either. Nor did he or she doctor the footage to make it just look like he bowed to an Islamic king. It is a matter of public record on media outlets (including liberal websites where I've seen them) that he has dissed Netanyahu of Israel. His deliberate lack of action in Benghazi is also public knowledge. Etc.

Claire Guest

November 14, 2012  1:04am

P.S. to Jon: If you look up Rev. Jeremiah Wright at Wikipedia, this is plainly stated about his church, the Trinity United Church of Christ: "The church's mission statement is based upon systematized Black liberation theology that started with the works of James Hal Cone." This is consistent with what I said earlier. Some links about this: 1) http://www.marketfaith.org/non-christian-worldviews/the-gospel-according-ba rack-obamas-pastor-black-liberation-theology/ 2) http://www.acton.org/pub/commentary/2008/04/02/marxist-roots-black-liberati on-theology Obama was an active member of Wright's church for 20 years, gave thousands of dollars to the church, AND used Wright's exact words as the title for his most recent book. The influence is clear. IF a Caucasian politician had had this level of involvement in a Caucasian-biased church of similar ideology, any campaign he or she attempted to run would have been dead in the water from the beginning (and rightfully so) - NO party nomination.

Displaying 1–20 of 85 comments.

1 2 3 4 5 next page   Show All