Guest / Limited Access /

President Barack Obama prevailed over GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney, Democrats maintained control of the Senate, and Republicans held onto the House of Representatives last night—elections that likely will maintain status quo for federal ...

Displaying 1–20 of 34 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All

Michael champion

November 21, 2012  1:58am

My Christian conscience is guilt-free after voting for President Obama. The absolute hatred of President Obama by "devout Christians who have Jesus in their heart" is bad enough. But when you add the blatant violation of God's Commandment, "Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor" by those "devout Christians" who, out of ignorance and/or hatred, say the President is a "Muslim", a "Marxist", a "Communist", an "Athiest", "un-American", "un-Patriotic", a "Baby-Killer", a "Nazi", etc., it makes me think the lyrics have been changed to------"And, they'll know we are Christians by our Hate, by our Hate. Yes, they'll know we are Christians by our Hate." Well, if the President is "out to destroy America", then I guess I am, too. When it comes to Economic Policy, Taxes, Health Care, Social Security, Medicare/Medicaid, Welfare Programs, Immigration, Education, the Environment, Foreign Policy, and Gun Control, I am to the "Left" of Obama. That must make me the Anti-Christ!

J Thomas

November 20, 2012  12:12am

Get ready for the new reality, Christians. The neoprogressive machine that directs the democrats (and a portion of the republicans) views you as an enemy, an obstacle that must be removed. You are not viewed as an equivalent member of society deserving of all of the rights afforded you under the constitution. You are now a second-class citizen. Prepare for the full force of the government to be directed at you, especially if you resist. The Holy Spirit, through the multi-housing ministry movement, is preparing us to go underground. Pray for the believers, that our persecution be delayed!

Bryan Starrett

November 14, 2012  8:39pm

This Christian voted for President Obama, just as I did four years ago. I could say that I employ critical thinking and pragmatism when considering issues of religious ideology, politics, and government, but in truth I simply don't have enough hate in my heart to vote with the bitter religious right.

Claire Guest

November 13, 2012  11:39pm

Kat McH, I cannot agree that this recent election gave a "clear signal" of any kind. For one thing, the margin of victory was small (less than 2% popular vote). When you add in the people who voted third party (and didn't vote at all) because they considered Romney to be too liberal, you get a different figure altogether. For another, voting irregularities have been reported in a number of states, including battleground states. I think it's significant that Romney won in states which require photo ID to vote. Last I heard, the plane carrying the military's ballots to the USA had crashed, and it didn't sound like they were going to have time to vote again. I'm not convinced that we've been given the true story, and I think the chances are good that we'll never get the true story.

Kat McH

November 13, 2012  2:15am

The 2012 election was a pretty clear signal that the American populace does not want the religious rules of rightwing Christians imposed on the rest of the country. I'f you're opposed to marriage equality then don't marry someone of the same sex. But our Constitution trumps your bible as the law of the land, so kindly keep your religious rules, rituals and superstitions far away from our secular government.

Claire Guest

November 13, 2012  1:22am

How can anyone say "The 'Moral Landscape' has NOT changed" with a straight face? The moral landscape has undergone severe changes over the last few decades. The most recent example is that of re-defining GOD's definition of marriage. When people profess to be Christians, the implication is that they agree with God's Word, including His moral standard. So how is it that a professed Christian can agree with this re-definition, which in all its implications further denies GOD's Word about same-sex sexual relationships? PilgrimP, why do you make such a hateful accusation as "Christian Taliban", when you know that no such thing exists? To lump this pejorative in with Reps and the Tea Party (whose main message is to call for fiscal responsibility) is beyond reprehensible. William Penn said, "Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants." If things keep going as they've been going, the REAL Taliban may very well take over, then you'll know what REAL oppression is. GOD HELP US.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  9:48pm

Niall, I actually agree with your statement here, at face value: "...the maniacal insistence on single ideological issues, like [same-sex] 'marriage'". It's only been recently that this "maniacal insistence" (which I agree is an accurate assessment) started. Before that, the commonly-accepted definition of marriage was that of men and women. You seem to get the cart before the horse, like so many people in this country - you put the economy ahead of (im)moral issues. BUT God's Word is clear that people ignore and reject His moral standards to their own ruin, because these things incur His judgment and CAUSE negative economic ramifications. He said, "Blessed is that nation whose God is the Lord." The inverse is equally true. You also unjustly play the "hate card", which is nothing but a cheap shot. Disagreement with unGodly immorality as championed by Obama and Dems in general is NOT hate, just disagreement. Those who love God will love what He loves and hate what He hates.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  9:39pm

Jon, your bias against white people (which is racism) is very evident in your post. I see all ethnicities as equals and my standard of truth is God's Word, which is why Albert Mohler's comment - "Evangelical Christians must see the 2012 election as a catastrophe for crucial moral concerns" - did NOT strike me as being cultural in nature. YOU say that black people would not agree with him, but I know better. My church is at least half African-American, and they totally agree - BECAUSE their standard of truth is God's Word too. YOU seem to assume that I (and other conservatives, as well) care nothing for the poor, widows and orphans, prisoners, etc. HOWEVER, what you (purposely?) overlook is that NOWHERE in Scripture does God command a GOVERNMENT to do what He has called HIS PEOPLE, HIS CHURCH to do. Nowhere does GOD command us to look to anyone BUT Him for our daily needs. He also plainly said, "If a man will not work, neither shall he eat." This is a BALANCE which is overlooked.

Jon Trott

November 09, 2012  3:23pm

Claire, I cited Albert Mohler's comment: "Evangelical Christians must see the 2012 election as a catastrophe for crucial moral concerns." Yes, it is a cultural comment by Mr. Mohler. Why? Because almost no black Christians would agree with him. Almost no Christians serving the inner city poor would go along with his definition of "moral concerns." And that's the point. He has a very short list of what he considers "crucial moral concerns." I for one -- and there are many more like me -- do not consider his list to be either complete or primary. How many verses mention abortion? How many verses mention homosexuality? And how many verses mention the poor, justice, the widow and orphan, the prisoner? Tribal Anglo-Saxon values are foisted on us as being THE "biblical values." That's because we don't listen to anyone else. We are content to think our interpretation of Scripture *IS* Scripture. And I for one am so eager to throw off the burden with which this white hermeneutic has burdened

Niall Lynch

November 09, 2012  12:32pm

I think it should be obvious that at a time when the country as a whole is suffering economically, the maniacal insistence on single ideological issues, like gay marriage, that do nothing to help the majority of those in this country, simply will not resonate. God/guns/gays/abortion may work fine when we are prosperous and secure. That's the time when the luxury of hate is cheapest. But in a situation like we have today, evangelicals have to come up with solutions for what is ailing us now. But on the economy, evangelicals have nothing meaningful to say. Perhaps it's time evangelicals starting thinking holistically about society. instead of siloing themselves in pursuit of boutique issues that matter only to the faithful. The faithful who just lost at the polls. Just a thought.

samuel Shropshire

November 09, 2012  6:22am

I heard one evangelical leader refer to Obama’s re-election as the beginning of a "Post Christian Era" in American history. But I say it could possibly be be our Pre-Christian Era as those who claim to be followers of Jesus begin to reconsider their ways--begging God for His forgiveness for not having demonstrated God's compassion for humankind by behaving as Jesus would behave towards sinners of all stripes and persuasions. ("In that while we were yet sinners" God demonstrated his love towards us [Romans 5:28]). This is no time to take pride in our self-righteousness. God hates the self-righteous, prideful. It's a time for those who claim to be "His people" to humble themselves and repent, Richard Land and Southern Baptists included (2 Chronicles 7:14). "(Jesus) also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and regarded others with contempt: ‘Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax-collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, was praying thus, “God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax-collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.” But the tax-collector, standing far off, would not even look up to heaven, but was beating his breast and saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' I tell you, this man went down to his home justified rather than the other; for all who exalt themselves will be humbled, but all who humble themselves will be exalted."

J Thomas

November 09, 2012  3:32am

The moral landscape has collapsed completely. It is in utter ruin. Christians paid no attention while the amoral pushed them out of the public square. For there to be a Christian influence in the nation, we need not only strong and thriving churches who are being led by the Holy Spirit and taking the gospel to every public place, but we need to have a place in culture as well. Hollywood is vehemently anti-Christian. Our popular music is decidedly anti-Christian. Our news media is ardently anti-Christian. Our culture is deconstructing Christian morals and replacing them with amoral government-driven secularism. The new landscape is amoral. The moral will be persecuted. Where we were once just "prudes" or "sticks in the mud" we are now enemies of the state.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  2:54am

Jon, Albert Mohler's comment - "Evangelical Christians must see the 2012 election as a catastrophe for crucial moral concerns" - did not specify any cultural differences. YOU did that. He did not make any divisive statements - you did. What he DID reference by inferral is GOD's moral standard, period. If God's Word, including His moral standard, is NOT the standard of professed Christians, there is a disconnect there between what such people profess to believe, and what they actually say (and vote, etc). BY THE STANDARD OF GOD'S WORD, the departure of professed Christians from agreement with His Word IS a catastrophe. Several denominations have officially departed into apostasy already, and this movement is only continuing on and on and on. The fact that it is happening is NOT reason to condemn believers who do NOT depart from Godly morality. Christ Jesus prophesied this falling away, and the apostles echoed this. He said that FEW would take the narrow road which leads to Life.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  2:54am

James Aist, it is very refreshing here to see a fellow believer acknowledge the immoral [and amoral] liberal movement which is advancing in this country. Yes, Christ Jesus told us that this world would get much worse before His next coming, that we are not to become alarmed (Matthew 25), and that “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33). No, we don’t like the moral degeneration in the world, but we do indeed know that none of it is a surprise to God, God is still sovereign and in control, and God will bring righteousness and justice to the world and create a dwelling place for His elect that is free from evildoers altogether (Revelation 22:14-15). Yes, our job is to remain faithful to His Word (Matthew 28:18-20) until the end, however and whenever that end comes for each of us. Yes, this is where we can find peace and joy in the midst of escalating spiritual darkness until that time. Well said, brother. I totally agree with you.

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  2:53am

P.S. to my post below, Jon: Watch this - virtually everything here is straight from Obama's own mouth. Note that whenever Obama mentions the Qu'ran, he calls it the "holy Qu'ran" (but he has made mocking comments about the Bible, he didn't call it the "holy Bible", and he mocked Christians in PA during the 2008 campaign with particularly heinous accusations). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCAffMSWSzY

Claire Guest

November 09, 2012  2:35am

Jon, I continue to marvel at your ability to live in denial. Surely you cannot be completely ignorant of Obama's background, including his formative years, his experience in college, and his adult life, which have included extensive mentoring by Marxist mentors throughout his life. To simply acknowledge these FACTS is not "defamation" any more than it is defamation to acknowledge Romney's Mormon background. Christ Jesus said, "By their fruit you shall know them", and He never gave indication that it was a false judgment to acknowledge that fruit -- rather, just the opposite. You also falsely accuse me of hostility - I am not hostile to Obama at all; I pray for him regularly because I know God is not willing that ANY should perish, but that ALL should come to repentance. Your continual false judgments of me do not intimidate me. I will continue to speak the truth. Christ Jesus said, "If you continue in My Word, you shall know the truth, and the truth will make you free."

James Aist

November 08, 2012  6:38pm

We born-again Christians need not panic or despair when we see the immoral liberal movement advancing. Jesus told us that this world would get much worse before His next coming, that we are not to become alarmed (Matthew 25), and that “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33). We don’t like the moral degeneration in the world, but we know that none of it is a surprise to God, that God is still sovereign and in control, and that God will bring righteousness and justice to the world and create a dwelling place for His elect that is free from evildoers altogether (Revelation 22:14-15). Our job is to remain faithful to His Word and to His instructions (Matthew 28:18-20) until the end, however and whenever that end comes for each of us. This is where we can find peace and joy in the midst of escalating spiritual darkness until that time. More at http://rethinkingtheology.com/2012/09/03/the-gay-agenda-what-in-the-world-i s-going-on/

Jon Trott

November 08, 2012  4:00pm

Claire Guest, you are indulging in defamation here as well as falsely claiming an authority which belongs to God alone. You do not get to say who is Christian and who is not. Barack Obama has over and over again -- at length -- described his faith's development and his allegiance to Jesus Christ. You may personally doubt him, which is your right. But you do not have the ability to read someone else's mind or know their heart... especially when you are manifestly so hostile to the President that you have repeatedly posted outright false information about him and even his relatives. It is highly disturbing to see you continue doing this despite having it pointed out to you again and again. I do not question your own faith; I do, however, question your actions here as being manifestly sub-standard from a Scriptural point of view.

Claire Guest

November 08, 2012  8:57am

Heather, I just can't understand why so many professed Christians are so supportive of Obama, who could not possibly make it plainer that He despises God's Word - he even blasphemed Scripture in declaring his support for same-sex "marriage". This makes no sense! I am fully aware that Mormons are not Bible-believing Christians. The kicker is, neither is Obama. He was indoctrinated in Marxism from childhood, chose Marxist mentors as he grew up, and chose a Marxist Black Liberation Theology church as a grown man. The viable choices this year were a Mormon and a Marxist. Even if you believe Obama is a Christian, consider the words of Christ Jesus in Revelation where He condemned lukewarm believers who did not stand strong in His Word (surely you know how grievously Obama has mocked and violated God's Word). Jesus said He prefers that people be hot or cold. BTW - Taxation is not GOD's way of helping the poor. And putting Government in GOD's place is idolatry. Neither of these is Biblical.

Claire Guest

November 08, 2012  8:56am

Shary Habuber, go to the nearest Crisis Pregnancy Refuge Center - you'll find many Christians working hard at all the things you mentioned. Better yet, go there and volunteer your own time and efforts. Please. Christ Jesus said, "Inasmuch as you have done it to the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto ME." Who is more "the least of these" than the little babies who are the youngest, most helpless, most innocent among us? Why do we dare kill them just because they are inconvenient? Remember the words of Christ Jesus.

Displaying 1–20 of 34 comments.

1 2 next page   Show All