Guest / Limited Access /

The King's College (TKC) raised eyebrows in Christian higher education circles when it selected Dinesh D'Souza as its president in 2010. The author and pundit had little administrative experience, but TKC saw his potential to raise the school's ...

NORMAN STOLPE

December 07, 2012  4:32pm

From what I know of D'Souza and Ockenga (which is admittedly all second hand), I get the impression that D'Souza's political agenda defined if not distorted the Gospel he took to the public square, in contrast to Ockenga's concern for the Gospel to speak to the public square. Since the time of Constantine the political arena has consistently tried to coopt the Gospel for its own ends and rarely if ever tolerates allegiance to Christ over nation.

Glen Waugh

December 06, 2012  9:23am

Criticize D'Souza if you like and remonstrate him for his apparent adultery, but doesn't he epitomize what H.J. Ockenga stated that evangelicals should be about namely, "a new emphasis upon the application of the gospel to the sociological, political, and economic areas of life" (From the inaugural address on the New Evangelicalism, 1948). So we might ask are those colleges who fail to support those who implement Ockenga rendering his statement above invalid? As to his adultery, Dr. Ockenga stated the following in December of 1957, "The New Evangelicalism has changed its strategy from one of separation to one of infiltration". So while D'Souza's behavior is against the will of God, it is not necessarily unevangelical according to the above quote on seperation. Bottom line is should D'Souza and those like him be eschewed from now on and on what basis?

Claire Guest

December 05, 2012  9:37am

I appreciate Colorado Christian University's statements and objectives - they sound soundly Biblical to me. In the increasingly politically-corrected atmosphere which pervades this nation, I don't doubt that "[t]here are many pressures against being known as a conservative institution." I just hope and pray that a "return to center" does not equal becoming lukewarm. Christ Jesus plainly said He'd rather us be hot or cold, that lukewarmness brings harsh judgment.

Dee McDonald

December 04, 2012  2:41pm

Yes Jack Lawrence, what I have said in my last posts is exactly the way I see and understand our interchange. When I say @Jim Gustafson, that is exactly what I mean. I don't mean @Jack Lawrence.

JACK LAWRENCE

December 04, 2012  1:56pm

Dee McDonald, if that is the way you see and understand our interchanges that is fine. Grace and Peace.

Dee McDonald

December 04, 2012  1:44pm

Here is the original Jack Lawrence: "@Jack Lawrence, the magazine, reporter, respondents aren't saying that Christians shouldn't have a voice in the public square. The warning is not to be consumed with the public square that you forget the mission of the church. For example, the article said, "When the focus is only in the cultural sphere, we run the risk of missing our calling." The problem arises when we think that we're going to change a country and its people by instituting laws. So, as the articles pointed out, we spend all our efforts and money trying to get Christians elected in order to usher in our Christian utopia. What does it gain? Disappointment mostly. To me, this is what is sad--wasted effort. @Jim Gustafson, you're right, the last three have nothing to do with Christian (at least directly). The problem is that too many American Christians revere the Holy Constitution and its Prophets as if they were on par with God/Scripture. This is idolatry."

Dee McDonald

December 04, 2012  1:43pm

@Jack L., you're making things up now. Look at what I said and stop putting words in my mouth. My reasoning is that I never accused you of anything except misreading the CT article. No one in the article said that Christians should stay away from the public square, which is what you said the article was saying. Now you are misquoting me saying I accused you of committing idolatry with the constitution. Those comments had nothing to do with you. Although you are making up things saying that, for that part, I said "@ Jack Lawrence", that is not what i said. And the evidence does not lie. Just scroll down the comments. As my original said, "@Jon Gustafson". I was responding to what he said, not you. But just because you continue to misread what I am saying, I will post my original comment above and you can see for yourself.

JACK LAWRENCE

December 04, 2012  12:48pm

@Dee McDonald. I have to admit, I do not understand your "reasoning." You began your original response with @Jack Lawrence... and then write "The warning is not to be consumed with the public square that YOU forget the mission of the church." I took pains to say not only myself but those who believe as I do. And then you end your @Jack Lawrence with..."The problem is that too many American Christians revere the Holy Constitution and its Prophets as if they were on par with God/Scripture. This is idolatry." I really believe we can appreciate our History, our way of life and the founding documents and to consider them profound and worth preserving, without committing idolatry.

Dee McDonald

December 04, 2012  12:26pm

@Jack Lawrence, I did not intentionally or unintentionally insult you. Go back and read my post before you start putting words in my mouth. I never once accused you of focusing only on the cultural sphere. My response to you was based on your false assertion that the magazine, respondents, and reporter are saying that Christians have no place in the public square (That is what you said. Go back and read the last few sentences from your original post). Nowhere in the article did it say that! Therefore, my post was not about you and "your idolatry" but about your accusation that the article was saying what you falsly claim. If you took it personal, it is because you are not reading what was being said, but only seeing what you want to see--just like you did with the CT article. Another example of this was that I did not accuse you of idolatry. Again, read what my post said. I was responding to Jim Gustafson.

JACK LAWRENCE

December 04, 2012  10:17am

@Dee McDonald, Thank you for your response. The problem is the mistaken assertions that folk like myself "focus is only in the cultural sphere." While I won't accuse you of intentional insult, such accusations are insulting. I preach Christ and Him crucified. I appreciate our Constitution and those whose labor and sacrifice made it happen. I know "kingdoms and nations rise and fall," and my appreciation for our history does not mean that myself or those who think as I do, are guilty of idolatry In the U. S. we have had a blessed and unique way of being able to "speak truth to power," and to withdraw into our Ivory Tower Sanctuaries is not being responsible for advancing the Gospel. If our message is defeated by democratic rule, so be it, and our nation will fall, and God will still be God. We can be the church in the world as "salt and light" and work for a better system based on God and His Word. God and the Gospel are first, but we can "walk and chew gum at the same time."

Pax Paws

December 04, 2012  9:21am

Norman, my friend, from the King's perspective--we, who seek His Face and who are called by His Name-- we, are WE, not us and them. We are not left-Christians or right-Christians, but Christians, followers of Christ. May all we do and say work to point to His as our Uniter, as our Salve, as our bearer of all Truth and Wisdom. For we will each only See His greater picture, together. To all... Let us find a way to understand one-another with a heart of God's Love and Grace. Let us seek what we currently do not understand with Eyes and Hearts that are Christ's. Amen.

PAT DIXON

December 03, 2012  10:48pm

@NORMAN STOLPE: thank you for pointing this out. I would also add this because I believe Ayn Rand had the spirit of a Jezebel and continues to influence men in this way: Revelation 2:20 "But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols."

J Thomas

December 03, 2012  10:14pm

Its time to turn over the theology departments at Princeton, etc.

Dee McDonald

December 03, 2012  8:55pm

Jim Gustafson

December 03, 2012  6:00pm

A quote from the article: "Meanwhile, Colorado Christian University includes in its strategic objectives support of "traditional family values" and "sanctity of life," but also "limited government," "free markets," and "original intent of the Constitution." But spokesman Ron Benton says the school wants "to be known as a Christian university first and foremost." What is Christian about the last three on the list of five?

NORMAN STOLPE

December 03, 2012  1:48pm

How is it possible to teach Genesis 41:46ff; 47:13-26; Deuteronomy 17:14-20; Psalm 72; Luke 4:16-21;Leviticus 25:23 or 1 Corinthians 4:7 without sounding like "the left" in today's environment? No wonder Ayn Rand was so adamantly opposed to religion, especially biblical Christianity! How many of those on "the Christian right" realize how deeply her thinking has permiated their philosophy?

JACK LAWRENCE

December 03, 2012  1:02pm

I'm not understanding the "numbskullery" implicit in the article and its comments and quotes. In American Democracy and its politics, politics and Christian Doctrine become intertwined (same sex marriage, abortion, freedom of religious expression, etc.) Christian Schools are right to include "politics' in the curriculum; it is the same old question, "should the Church (Christianity) have a voice in the public square?" Obviously, this magazine, reporter and respondents are saying no. So sad.

Henry Heerschap

December 03, 2012  12:43pm

Amen. Now let's see some similar soul-searching from the left and get back to teaching.