Guest / Limited Access /

Perhaps no book in English has opened the thorny problem of struggle and reconciliation in Galilee to more people than Chacour's personal story, told from the perspective of a Galilean native. This is always the first book I offer someone who ...

Richard Magnus

February 16, 2013  8:27pm

Rick, don't sound so aggrieved. You claimed that anyone who doubted Israel's right to depopulate occupied land was against the Word of God - which you misquoted. I merely pointed out the logical incoherence of your position, since God himself expelled Israel for disobedience. And orthodox, historic Christian doctrine - what you dismiss as "replacement theology" - had little to do with "anti-semitism." Anti-semitism came from European reaction to statements in the Talmud that are too profane against Christ and gentiles to be repeated, as well as Jews' role as tax collectors for harsh European kings. We can't address anti-semitism until we're truthful about history.

Rick Dalbey

February 16, 2013  6:58pm

Ahhh, I get it. After doing some more reading, I discover that Gary Burge guy is an anti-Israel zealot. Thanks for letting us know CT. Burge serves on the board of Evangelicals for Middle East Understanding, an ongoing campaign to neutralize pro-Israel evangelicals. Burge was also prominent in the 2010 film “With God on Our Side,” which targeted evangelical audiences, and which aimed to caricature Christian Zionists as end-times zealots indifferent to Palestinian suffering. He is a crusader for trying to shift evangelicals away from their typically pro-Israel stance. He represents the Evangelical left who is critical of American nationalism as well as Israeli nationalism. All five books naturally tout a pro-Palestinian perspective to varying degrees. Evidently a book offering the Jewish experience did not merit attention. So who was the CT editor that gave him a platform?

Rick Dalbey

February 16, 2013  6:44pm

So why does Christianity Today give a Replacement Theology guy a platform and allow him to reccommend 5 books, all supporting his hatred of Israel without any warning note? Replacement Theology was the basis of Nazi anti-semitism. Hitler was an ardent Catholic preterist. Come on, Christianity Today, you are better than that. And of course the site attracts commenters who hate the state of Israel and if you disagree, tell you that you hate God. Gee Willikers.

Michael Hedrick

February 16, 2013  6:07pm

Dr. Burge is a well-known as an evangelical academic who is firmly opposed to the idea of a modern state of Israel, and who sees no major role for ethnic/national Israel in God's future plans. Dr. Burge is obviously entitled to his opinions, and CT is obviously entitled to give him a platform to espouse those opinions. However, given that what Dr. Burge shares here are indeed opinions, with which many evangelical scholars disagree, it would be nice to offer a similar platform to an alternate view on Israel, Palestine, and the church. That having been said, I applaud Dr. Burge for recommending books that focus on the experiences and perspectives of Palestinian Christians, an important facet of the Israeli-Palestinian situation that is, unfortunately, often overlooked by Christians who do not adhere to replacement theology.

Roger Corbin

February 16, 2013  8:54am

A very good commentary on the above book recommendations can be found at Frontpagemag.com at the following link: http://frontpagemag.com/2013/mark-d-tooley/anti-israel-evangelical -left-perpetuates-palestinian-suffering/

Richard Magnus

February 16, 2013  7:54am

Rick, you have no scripture reference. You omit that God promised the land to the Jews contingent on their OBEDIENCE. They were expelled in 70 AD for disobedience by the Jewish leaders...and the current gulf between Biblical doctrines and morality and establishment Judaism is an order of magnitude greater now than it was in 33 AD. I believe Jews are entitled a homeland...but I don't see God blessing ethnic cleansing, chemical weapons, and a state based on racial supremacist ideology.

Rick Dalbey

February 15, 2013  6:09pm

I must really hate God? What a mean thing to say. Richard, you are unreasonable, insulting and ignore any scripture reference I give. I can't debate on that level.

Richard Magnus

February 15, 2013  3:58pm

Well, Rick, I guess you must really hate God, since it was God who expelled the Jews from Palestine on multiple occasions, according to Holy Writ, including Jesus and Paul. I can't see "Yeshua" bombing Gaza with chemical weapons. It's frankly preposterous, at the very least, to even consider that Jesus would be for ethnic cleansing. He told the Samaritan woman that all people will worship God in spirit and truth - not "get out of this place, you half-breed, cuz Israel is for purebred Hebrews only!". And there is a HUGE gulf between Chabad Lubavitch and the gospel of Christ - I highly doubt that Haredi Jews are primed and ready to embrace "Yeshua."

Rick Dalbey

February 15, 2013  12:52pm

You’re too late Richard, God already brought descendants of the Israelites back to the land in 1948. Abraham's promise was the land would be given “Forever” to the Jews. Paul says, “God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.” “A partial hardening has happened to Israel until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in; and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written, the Deliverer will come from Zion, He will remove ungodliness from Jacob.” Schneerson died in 1994. He never set foot in Israel, and suffered heart attacks and strokes. He said he did everything in his power to bring the messiah to Israel, denying he was the one. Schneerson declared the Messiah is very close, urging all to pray for the coming of the Messiah. Orthodox Jews accept 13 articles of faith, 12 says, “I believe with full faith in the coming of the Messiah. And even though he tarries, I await his arrival with every day.

Richard Magnus

February 15, 2013  10:28am

Rick, it's YOU who are odds with God. God expelled Israel from the land numerous times, including in 70 AD. There is nothing in the New Testament to indicate that God will bring Talmudic, Kabbalist, and secular descendants of the Israelites back to the land and remove the current inhabitants. It is also plainly evident that many more modern Israelites are ready to embrace MM Schneerson as the messiah than "Yeshua." Good luck convincing them otherwise. You may go to jail for trying - hardly a situation I'd call "freedom."

Rick Dalbey

February 14, 2013  4:03pm

Richard, my points are only vapid if you do not accept the prophecies, promises and narrative of the Bible. The point is, no matter what the DNA components of Palestinians, there is a nation of Israel, there are national borders and there will continue to be for the forseeable milleniums. God promised it and He delivered exactly in the manner He said He would. Those who hate the Jewish religion, the Jewish state, the Jewish narrative will continue to try to “wipe them off the map” or “exterminate them”. Israel doesn't exclude Messianic Jews, Christians or even atheists from full participation in the Israeli state. God has brought this about and I am anticipating a broad embrace soon of Yeshua as Savior. I've read Shlomo Sands and his critics like Anita Shapira, and I have also read the book written by the Spirit of the creator of the human race. No sensible Israeli I know is pushing to enlarge the borders to God's original grant. They're living on a sliver of their original inheritance

Rick Dalbey

February 13, 2013  7:18pm

Richard, I assume you mean me. Mom just named me Rick. If you will re-read my comments you will find they are all based in the abundant promises and literature of the Bible. It is not my opinion that counts, it is the words of the Bible. Your disagreement is with God. You may argue all you want, appeal to justice, fairness, and at the end of the day you will still be left with God's promises to Israel. You are saying the palestinians are actually 2000 year old Jewish Christians? Good luck with that one. Palestinians had no flag, no country, no borders, no government and before 1948 they were not referred to as "Palestinians". This name was was created by the Soviet disinformation masters in 1964 when they created the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO). The term "Palestinian People" as a description of Arabs in palestine appeared for the first time in the preamble of the 1964 PLO Charter, drafted in Moscow, two decades after the establishment of the modern State of Israel.

Richard Magnus

February 13, 2013  4:13pm

Richard, can you answer a few questions about your belief that we must always support Israel? 1. Genetic studies show that Palestinians are partially descended from Jews. They are almost certainly descended, in part, from Jews who converted to Christianity - some from the earliest followers of Jesus. Since at least some Palestinians are descendants of Jewish followers of Jesus, when did they lose their right to the land? Does this mean that if a Jew today converts to Christianity, he loses his share of the covenant? Does that mean that Israel is right when it excludes Messianic Jews? 2. Zionists documents show that many in Israel's government believe that Israel should own Cyprus, Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Sinai, and a large swath of Saudi Arabia, based on their interpretation of the supposed "Biblical promise." Do you agree with this? What do you propose to do with all the refugees? I won't be online again tonight, but I'd love to see your answers tomorrow.

William Goldman

February 13, 2013  11:21am

Rick: sorry, I only just noticed that you wrote "They [the Jews, or the Israelites] are still the chosen people of God and will be completely redeemed." ..."will be". Ah! so, in fact, you perhaps believe the same as I do (see above).

William Goldman

February 13, 2013  11:18am

Rick, especially" Why should Israel not be special to God, still, even though there is no question that anyone will come to the Father except by (accepting) Jesus? Do you think that God makes an exception for the Jews, saying, as it were, "Well, all right, everyone else must come to me through JC, but you don't need to - you can come to me anyway"??? That would surely be to make nonsense of Scripture. I believe that Paul, under inspiration, writing to whichever Gentile church it was (no time to look it up now - sorry), asserted or strongly implied that God is quite able to "graft" the Jews back into the "tree" that had as it were naturally been theirs, just as He had been able to prune His tree in order to graft the Gentile believers in Christ into it. I don't believe that has happened yet. Do you? As for the State of Israel, I support its existence on humanitarian grounds (as most left-wing people used to till they got all "PC"). I also believe that God has a plan for Israel

Rick Dalbey

February 11, 2013  6:31pm

Kathryn, no matter the condition of the Jews, the angel Michael watches over the nation. God is a covenant keeping God. Here is what Daniel says will happen in the end times just before the resurrection; "Now at that time Michael, the great prince who stands guard over the sons of your people, will arise. And there will be a time of distress such as never occurred since there was a nation until that time; and at that time your people, everyone who is found written in the book, will be rescued. Many of those who sleep in the dust of the ground will awake, these to everlasting life, but the others to disgrace and everlasting contempt." The NATION is important.

Rick Dalbey

February 11, 2013  1:43pm

Kathryn, you’re right. The Israel of the Old Testament slaughtered every man woman and child of the Canaanites according to God’s directions. They are not the same. Was that a blessing to the Non-Israelites, was that stewardship? Of course Christians are persecuted in Israel. As Jesus was, as most of the prophets were. And as Christians in Paul’s day were. Despite it all, the gifts and callings of God are without repentance. They are still the chosen people of God and will be completely redeemed. Zechariah predicts what will happen to Israel, “I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn.” God says, “your walls are continually before Me”. CONTINUALLY. Not just in the 5th Century. Kathryn you are entangled in replacement theology

Kathryn Hinke

February 11, 2013  12:59pm

First, I'd like to strongly recommend Gary's own book, "Whose Land? Whose Promise?" It's an outstanding treatise on the issue and brought me, as an evangelical Christ follower, great clarity on the subject. I'd also like to second the recommendation of "Blood Brothers." I'd also like to comment on Rick's comment. The Israel that was the "apple of His eye" is NOT the Israel of today. The Israel of today is a political entity that does not follow the commands of God to be stewards of the land, rather than owners. The Israel of the Bible was blessed--but was to BE a blessing to all, including the all the non-Israelites in their midst. I find it overwhelmingly sad that so many evangelicals don't realize that even Christians are persecuted in Israel--and blindly think that Israel can do no wrong. Frankly, I think our lack of knowledge of the truth of the situation there makes God weep, just as He weeps over the "apple of His eye" having turned away from Him.

Rick Dalbey

February 11, 2013  12:38pm

Israel is the pupil of God's eye. "For thus says the Lord of hosts, “After glory He has sent me against the nations which plunder you, for he who touches you, touches the apple of His eye...Sing for joy and be glad, O daughter of Zion; for behold I am coming and I will dwell in your midst,” declares the Lord. “Many nations will join themselves to the Lord in that day and will become My people. Then I will dwell in your midst, and you will know that the Lord of hosts has sent Me to you. The Lord will possess Judah as His portion in the holy land, and will again choose Jerusalem." God says Jerusalem's walls are permanently tattooed on his palms, "Behold, I have inscribed you on the palms of My hands; your walls are continually before Me." Yet, all these books are anti-Israel, pro-palestinian. They are anti-evangelical, anti dispensationalist, anti-zionist. Why CT?