Morning Roundup - April 23, 2012
Expect that God will put you in weird places. I don't want you to take this story and feel like you need to go out and spend a few Saturdays doing "contact evangelism." Instead I want to encourage you to ask and beg the Holy Spirit to give you opportunities to show people the radical grace of Jesus, to put you in weird places for the gospel, and to give you the discernment and courage to boldly and graciously love people in Jesus' name.
We turn our attention to Church Discipline in this week's edition of Teaching Tools. A subject far more enjoyable to read about and study than to experience, church discipline is an integral part of maintaining a healthy local church. Left ignored, problems and sin within a congregation can decimate a local body of believers.
The Seven Purposes of Church Discipline (J. Hampton Keathley, III):
1. To bring glory to God and enhance the testimony of the flock.
2. To restore, heal, and build up sinning believers (Matt. 18:15; 2 Thess. 3:14-15; Heb. 12:10-13; Gal. 6:1-2; Jam. 5:20).
3. To produce a healthy faith, one sound in doctrine (Tit. 1:13; 1 Tim. 1:19-20).
4. To win a soul to Christ, if the sinning person is only a professing Christian (2 Tim. 2:24-26).
5. To silence false teachers and their influence in the church (Tit. 1:10-11).
6. To set an example for the rest of the body and promote godly fear (1 Tim. 5:20).
7. To protect the church against the destructive consequences that occur when churches fail to carry out church discipline.
The Exponential Conference has become the largest gathering of church planting leaders in North America each year with nearly 5,000 attendees. Exponential champions healthy, reproducing faith communities by inspiring, encouraging and equipping church planting leaders. From leaders considering church planting to seasoned veterans, the conference's 100+ national speakers, 100+ workshops, and 15+ tracks provide some of the best church planting training available. For the first time ever, the 5 Main Stage Sessions and 4 Family Track Sessions from an Exponential Conference will be made available via live Simulcast.
INFOGRAPHIC: How Social Media Is Replacing Traditional Journalism as a News Source -- Mashable