Church Planting Leadership Fellowship: Best Books on African-American or Urban Church Planting?
As I have shared before, we believe this to be one of the most important and strategic gatherings for North American church planting that is held each year. At each gathering we intentionally focus on a different aspect of church planting.
At our upcoming meeting in August we will be focusing on African-American church planting as well as urban church planting. One of the benefits of membership in the CPLF, and attendance at the gatherings, is that each member goes home with a nice supply of new books. We choose books that focus on the topic at hand. At this upcoming gathering we are considering the collection of books below.
This is where you can help us. We've been giving a list of recommened books by leaders in both fields, but there are often others out there and worthy of inclusion. They can include books, disserations, resources, and more.
What other books are out there, that deal with our two topics for this meeting, that you think would be helpful for us to give away? Leave a comment and give us your thoughts.
Also, if you lead church planting efforts for a denomination or network, you can apply to be a member of the CPLF. For more information about joining and/or attending, click here.
African-American Church Planting
- A New Day, A New Way: Starting, Planting, & Revitalizing African-American Churches written, in part, by Candace Lewis
- Aliens in the Promised Land: Why Minority Leadership Is Overlooked in White Christian Churches and Institutions by Anthony Bradley
- Planting New Churches in a Postmodern Age by Ed Stetzer (which includes a chapter on African American church planting written with the help of some colleagues)
- Church Planting in the African-American Context by Hozell Francis
- Church Planting in the African American Community by Michael Cox & Joe Samuel Ratliff
Urban Church Planting
- Planting and Growing Urban Churches: From Dream to Reality by Harvie Conn
- Urban Ministry: The Kingdom, the City & the People of God by Harvie Conn
- The Urban Christian by Ray Bakke
- A Theology as Big as the City by Ray Bakke
- Restoring At-Risk Communities: Doing It Together and Doing It Right by John Perkins
- To Transform a City: Whole Church, Whole Gospel, Whole City by Eric Swanson & Sam Williams
- Cities: Missions' New Frontier by Roger Greenway & Timothy Monsma