Jump directly to the content

Survey Surprise: Many Americans See Syria as Sign of Bible's End Times

How LifeWay's unexpected findings compare to other assessments of Armageddon.

Should the United States bomb Syria? Your answer might depend on your eschatology (whether Christian or Muslim).

LifeWay Research noticed how the Syrian conflict has prompteddiscussion of the End Times (i.e. dispensationalism) unlike previous debates ...

Adam Maarschalk

October 08, 2013  1:42pm

Concerning Syria, many are saying Isaiah 17 is about to be fulfilled. Older commentaries, however, do a great job showing that this chapter was fulfilled when: 1. Assyria defeated Damascus and Syria in 732 BC (verses 1-3) 2. Assyria defeated the northern kingdom of Israel in 722 BC (verses 4-11), and 3. Assyria attempted to defeat Judah and Jerusalem in 701 BC, but miserably failed when God miraculously intervened (verses 12-14). These fulfillments are explained in greater detail here: http://kloposmasm.com/2013/09/17/isaiah-1712-14-is-addressed-to-th e-enemies-of-judah/

Adam Maarschalk

October 08, 2013  1:40pm

I'm not sure why the survey takers are surprised by the results. I'm 35 years old and the "end times" fever has been burning hot in the evangelical Christian community for as long as I can remember. The early church had a different take on "the end times," though. Paul said "the ends of the ages" had come upon his first century readers (I Corinthians 10:11). The author of Hebrews said that Jesus spoke during the last days (Heb. 1:1-2) and that He was manifested to put away sins "at the consummation of the ages" (Heb. 9:26). Peter said "the end of all things" was at hand (I Peter 4:7), John said it was the last hour (I John 4:18), etc.

James Cowles

September 26, 2013  3:16pm

@D. McDonald ... You're right. I completely misread your post ... My sincerest apologies. Sloppy reading on my part.

D. McDonald

September 24, 2013  6:17am

@ James Cowles, what was the point of your first question to me? I will assume you know how to read in context. That's why I'm not sure where in my post you got the idea I was saying this end time nonsense in the Christian community is more rational and/or acceptable than when it comes from outside of it. My point, once again, is that religious people are no different than the non-religious. Therefore, the "highly educated & intelligent [who] are more likely to be non-believing & non-religious" are, in reality, no more enlightened than Christians. In case you are still unclear of the meaning of my comments, I will spell it out: I do not endorse this end-of-the-world nonsense that is being drawn from the Syrian conflict.

Abbey Logan

September 22, 2013  10:35pm

- Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand. (Rev1:3) - Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh. (Matt25:13) - And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh. (Luke 21:28) - But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. (Matt 24:43) I think that says it all. If Jesus says its important - it really is! If you have read Revelation and the Gospels and still don't understand what any of it means, just ask The Lord to open your eyes and ears when you read them. His word never comes back void and He always blesses our requests for wisdom (James 1:5).

James Cowles

September 21, 2013  12:57pm

@Dee McDonald: "I will point out that the non-Christian world is just as enraptured by end times and Armageddon-like stories/movies/etc." How does the fact that end-time / eschatalogical hysteria has spread beyond the Christian community make it any more rational, any more acceptable, or any healthier? If there were a smallpox epidemic, would you consider the situation any more healthy and any less harmful if EVERYone came down with smallpox? "Having said that, I like what Michael J. Svigel tweeted yesterday: 'Ever notice that calculations of Christ's return are almost always during the quack's lifetime?'" Svigel's point is VERY well-taken. Can you spell the word "wish-fulfillment"?

Dee McDonald

September 20, 2013  6:06am

Before the enlightened start bashing Christians as a whole for thinking like the numbers suggest in this article, and claiming they are the only imbeciles around (unlike the 'educated and intelligent' who don't believe in religion), I will point out that the non-Christian world is just as enraptured by end times and Armageddon-like stories/movies/etc. Having said that, I like what Michael J. Svigel tweeted yesterday: 'Ever notice that calculations of Christ's return are almost always during the quack's lifetime?' My suggestion for all the quacks, then, is to stop gazing fruitlessly into heaven looking for signs of Christ's return, because it is not for us to know these things. Instead, go be faithful witnesses just as Christ asked us to be (Acts 1:6-11).

James Cowles

September 18, 2013  8:33am

Another "CT" thread asks why people who are highly educated & intelligent are more likely to be non-believing & non-religious. This article, and the reaction of people to yet another round of amateur / do-it-yourself end-time prophecy, gives us one big part of the answer: repeated & howlingly wrong pronouncements about the imminence of the Eschaton, despite being repeatedly wrong over 2,000 years, result in *** NO LEARNING CURVE ***. Jesus will not return even if Damascus were turned into a giant patch of radioactive glass. But the next round of eschatological hysteria will nevertheless find the same true believers lining up & clamoring to buy the same snake oil -- one more time.

Khalil Mansour

September 18, 2013  7:45am

Is Hal Lindsey still around doing his stuff? Now there's a real money maker.

Caroline

September 17, 2013  11:40am

Ezekiel 37-38 HAVE to occur first along with Isa 19, Jer 30-33, Hosea 5:15, etc. before Christ returns! Know the Scriptures...

David W Baker

September 16, 2013  3:08pm

Giving a false 'word from the Lord' can be done too cheaply. If false prophets were held to the standard set in Deuteronomy, where death comes to one who claims to speak in God's name but the prophecy does not come to pass, words would be used much more judiciously!

James Cowles

September 14, 2013  1:43am

Every time some conservative evangelical / fundamentalist preacher predicts the 2nd Coming, the Battle of Armageddon, the Rapture, etc., their prediction turns out to be dead wrong. Yet there is always a ready audience for the next round of spurious predictions. There seems to be no learning curve. Simple question: after 2,000 years of this cycle ... WHY?

Adam Shields

September 13, 2013  5:33pm

A signed of the ignorance of Christian history more than anything else.