Jump directly to the content

Four States Still Don't Have Megachurches

And other 2013 year-end status updates from Leadership Network.

Megachurches may seem ubiquitous today, with more than 5 million people now worshiping at one of America's 1,650 megachurches on an average week. But research by Leadership Network's Warren Bird, who has tracked the megachurch phenomenon closely, ...

e 8305

January 20, 2014  5:42pm

Is this a problem?

Rick Dalbey

December 27, 2013  6:42pm

Bert is right. But the truth is, we need both. There were 3000 believers born in a day at pentecost, so the first church at Jerusalem was a mega-church. We are told they met in Solomon's porch at the temple, one of the few places large enough to host such a crowd. But we are also told that they met from house to house where 1st Corinthians Body Life and Charismatic Gifts could operate. The first church at Samaria was a mega-church with thousands saved. But again, they met from house to house. Paul rented a lecture hall to accommodate crowds in Ephesus when he was driven out of the temple. yet they met from house to house as well. We need both. But my contention is that wherever the bible is taught, where the gifts of the Spirit are free to operate, will grow into a mega-church. That pattern is repeated over and over in Acts. BUT, we also need small house to house fellowship. There is no virtue in staying small. The 12 grew to 120, then to 3000, then to 5000 in 4 years.

Bert Warden

December 27, 2013  4:33pm

I have one question. Scripture tells us that the each local asseimbly of believers is the the body of Christ in microcosm. How can the teachings regarding body life in 1 Cor. 12 be realized in a megachurch? It is rarely found these days even in small local asemblies. The real need among us Christians today is revival, "If my people who are called by my name shall humble themselves andl pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways then will I hear from heaven and forgive their sins and will heal their land." (2 Chron. 7:14)

Jon ODowd

December 27, 2013  4:02pm

http://hirr.hartsem.edu/megachurch/database.html This list shows 2 in Utah

audrey ruth

December 27, 2013  4:01pm

Christian friends in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont say that the main churches in their areas are Catholic. Episcopal and Congregational. They say the Congregational and Episcopal churches tend to be small and community-oriented, that it's very hard to find a lively congregation with pastors who preach the Bible and have an even mix of younger and older people. In my area, Catholic churches are huge and definitely qualify as mega-churches since their congregations typically number 2000+. But I presume this article is about evangelical churches only?

Van PastorMan

December 27, 2013  3:22pm

I find this stat interesting,but I wonder what the point is? Is Christianity failing in these states? I don't know if this would be true depending on the average size churches in those states.

R V

December 27, 2013  12:28pm

There's no mega-church in Utah.

Rick Conrad

December 27, 2013  12:25pm

And this is a problem because....

Bobby Mitchell

December 27, 2013  10:38am

Who says Maine doesn't have a mega-church? See http://www.apurechurch.com/1/post/2013/12/who-says-maine-doesnt-have-a-mega -church.html

Dave Costilow

December 23, 2013  9:26pm

Those four states are truly blessed.