Big Snack Attack!
Got the munchies? Grab the Doritos. You'll be in very good company. That's what most Campus Lifereaders do when, uhh, the chips are down. You overwhelmingly voted Doritos as your favorite "other chips" in our Junk Food Survey, which ran in the January/February issue. (By the way, Lay's potato chips are your favorite "regular chips.")
- McDonald's nipped Burger King by 12 votes as your favorite burger joint.
- When you want pizza, you usually head to Pizza Hut, the runaway winner in that category.
- Coke (including Diet Coke and Cherry Coke) beat Dr. Pepper by one vote as your fave soft drink.
- Chips Ahoy edged Oreos by three votes as your No. 1 cookie.
This survey was also a contest, so we'd like to congratulate Jenna Bergey of Sellersville, Pennsylvania, whose survey was picked out of the pile to win the $50 first-place prize. Jenna might just spend some of her winnings on her favorites, which include Herr's Ketchup Chips, McDonald's fries, Bubble Yum (strawberry!), Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Jelly Belly jelly beans and Sprite.
Thanks to all who took part in the survey. And happy munchin'!
My all-time favorite junk food is … The top finishers in each category:
- Potato chips: Lay's Ruffles, Pringles
- Other chips: Doritos, Fritos
- Salsa: Pace, Tostitos
- Dip: French Onion, Ranch
- Fast-food burger joint: McDonald's, Burger King, Wendy's
- Side order: Fries, onion rings (Most readers didn't specify a brand name for fries, but for those who did, McDonald's was the clear favorite.)
- Cookies: Chips Ahoy, Oreos
- Cheese snack: Chee-toes, Cheez-its
- Bubble gum: Bubble Yum, Bubblicious
- Soft drink: Coke, Dr. Pepper, Mountain Dew, Sprite, Pepsi
- Pizza: Pizza Hut
- Sugar-loaded cereal: Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cap'n Crunch, Froot Loops
- Doughnuts: Glazed, chocolate, creme-filled, jelly-filled
- Chocolate candy: Hershey's, Reese's, Snickers
Other candy: Skittles, jelly beans (mostly Jelly Belly), Twizzlers
- Popcorn: Orville Redenbacher's
- Snack cake: Hostess Twinkies, Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls
- Others: A ton of things were mentioned here, but we were, well, most intrigued by the guy from Wisconsin who said he loves pickled herring!
- salt & vinegar chips, because I like the way they make your nose hair curl! Sally Grein, Plant City, FL
- … Skittles, because they are easy to eat in class without being caught. Becca Paczocha, Racine, WI
- chocolate, because bad days, stupid fights and stress have to be mellowed out. Chocolate always helps. Angie Hershberger, Kalona, IA
- Godiva chocolate, because it has the power to soothe, to calm, to keep you awake and silly. It's the best thing man has ever made … well, besides make-up! Lana Sproles, Byhalia, MS
- Skittles, because they make me hyper. Amanda Wengert, Doylestown, PA
- pickles with peanut butter, because most people never ask for it so you never have to share it! Kristen Louree, Orlando, FL
- Mountain Dew with Sun Chips, because it brings out the 6-year-old in me. I like it when I bounce off the walls. Rachael Walsh, Fortona, CA
1998 by the author or Christianity Today/Campus Life magazine. For reprint information call 630-260-6200.