Is Hollywood Making the Case for Teaching the Bible in School?
Last Sunday saw the launch of the History Channel's new "The Bible" miniseries. The release of the show has been bringing the Scriptures to the forefront of public discussion, including how much of our language and literature have been influenced by them.
Three things to read as your community and congregation talk about the show:
- Jim Daly suggests that this is a great reminder that we ought to preserve the Bible in our schools as an integral part of the Western literary/cultural tradition.
- Read Christianity Today's interview with the producer Mark Burnett and actress Roma Downey.
- It's old, but don't miss Marilynne Robinson's outstanding 2011 New York Times essay on the Bible as "The Book of Books."
Copyright © 2013 by the author or Christianity Today/Leadership Journal.
Click here for reprint information on Leadership Journal.
Subscribe to read more
- Monthly issues on web and iPad
- Web exclusives and archives on Leadership Journal.net
- Quarterly print issues