Is Islam Essentially Violent?
Since it was revealed that the alleged Boston bombers were Muslims, our perception of Islam is back in the spotlight. While American Muslims are fighting to differentiate themselves from these terrorists, s new Barna study reveals a divergence between evangelical opinion of the Islamic faith and that of typical Americans. Over half of evangelicals (52%) believe Islam is essentially violent, while less than a third of all U.S. adults (26%) agree. Other interesting statistics to note include:
- 21% of evangelicals are favorable toward Muslims; 39% are unfavorable.
- One fourth of evangelicals (27%) believe that Islam is an essentially peaceful religion.
- Three-fourths of Americans (75%) believe peace is possible between Muslims and Christians; fewer evangelicals—but still a solid majority—agrees (68%).
Copyright © 2013 by the author or Christianity Today/Leadership Journal.
Click here for reprint information on Leadership Journal.
Subscribe to read more
- Monthly issues on web and iPad
- Web exclusives and archives on Leadership Journal.net
- Quarterly print issues