Here Are the Top 5 Reasons that Churches Land in Court
We're not exactly bandwagon jumpers to begin with, but here's a trend that we here at Leadership Journal would be delighted for you (and your ministry) to miss.
From our friends at sister publication Church Law and Tax, here are the top 5 reasons that churches end up in front of a judge:
#5 Zoning (5.4 percent of cases)
#4 Property disputes (6.8 percent of cases)
#3 Insurance coverage disputes (7.3 percent of cases)
#2 Nonsexual personal injuries (7.6 percent of cases)
#1 Sexual abuse of minors (13.6 percent of cases)
For more help with understanding these issues or preventing them, check out these five resources:
- Reducing The Risk: Keeping Your Ministry Safe From Child Sexual Abuse, 3rd Edition (http://store.churchlawtodaystore.com/reristkit.html);
- Pastor, Church & Law, Volume 2: Church Property and Administration (http://store.churchlawtodaystore.com/chpradvo2ofp.html);
- Making Your Church Playground Safe (http://store.churchlawtodaystore.com/mayochplsa.html)
- Insuring Your Church Staff (http://store.churchlawtodaystore.com/inyochst.html)
- Your Helpful Guide to Church Insurance (http://store.churchlawtodaystore.com/yohegutochin.html)
Copyright © 2013 by the author or Christianity Today/Leadership Journal.
Click here for reprint information on Leadership Journal.
Subscribe to read more
- Monthly issues on web and iPad
- Web exclusives and archives on Leadership Journal.net
- Quarterly print issues