Out of Context: Dave Gibbons
One megachurch pastor believes small is the new big.

"I love the church. It's God's vehicle for transformation. But I don't want the church to become so centralized that it can't reproduce, can't adopt multiple forms. And that works better when you're small, when you're on the verge, on the edge. Small is the new big. Big isn't bad, but it's overrated."

-Dave Gibbonsis pastor of NewSong Church in Irvine, California. Taken from "On the Verge" in the Summer 2008 issue of Leadership journal. To see the quote IN context, you'll need to see the print version of Leadership. To subscribe, click on the cover of Leadership on this page.

July 10, 2008

Don

June 16, 2013  10:19pm

The Gospel of Vagueness! The problem I have with Pastor Gibbons is his use of words that don't mean anything. There just words with no end point. - Small is better? - Live on the edge? - Blah, blah, blah? I still have no idea what he is trying to say so I'll just stick to the Bible.

Cornelia Becker Seigneur

December 03, 2008  12:58am

I love what our pastor says [Dale Ebel-Rolling Hills Community Church]- big isn't better, small isn't better, better is better - that is, it is about being the body of Christ, doing what His word would have us do and being Christ to the community- living by God's standard - Cornelia Seigneur www.writermom.net

Grove

July 12, 2008  4:58am

Just wanted to share a great book I'm reading at the moment on this very subject, "The big picture for small churches" by John Benton. Coming from a small Baptist church in Ireland (and getting smaller!) it is easy to take the pessimistic view of being small. God is interested in the 'quality of our service', not in the 'sheer size of our services'! http://www.grovebaptist.co.uk

-bill

July 11, 2008  2:16pm

Hence, we really do grow larger by growing smaller. As long as this is the holistic, organic growth of disciples into the likeness of Christ.

JENNIFER TAVERAS of CORNERSTONE3

July 10, 2008  12:37pm

Good afternoon, I would say I have experienced both circumstances where a small church has been able to reproduce as well as be stunted. I have also experienced a large church that had much success in its reproduction and transformation because of its strong connectivity. The key issue is leadership. When there are effective leaders in place such as pastors, other church leaders, and even lay leaders working together in one accord, great growth can happen. Transformation begins from within the church, whether it be in small groups or ministries, or prayer groups. What I think is vital is the nurture that needs to be present for the leaders as well as those affected by the leaders. When there is nurture, there is transformation. And above all else, GOD has to be in the center of it all. Be blessed, Jennifer Taveras President of Cornerstone3 www.cornerstone3.net

nathan

July 10, 2008  9:49am

I'd add... A Big church also doesn't mean that the pastor is more qualified leader to speak about the Church, theology, culture, etc. etc. etc. than anyone else.