Ur Video: Ted Haggard Scolds Evangelicals
Calling himself a "heterosexual with issues," Haggard says the evangelical church is off track about sexuality and grace.

With a new church and a new documentary airing on TLC January 16 (Ted Haggard: Scandalous), Haggard is back in the media spotlight. In this clip from an interview with ABC News, Haggard shares his new thoughts about the evangelical church. Do you agree with his perspective?

If this video is not working correctly, you can view it here.

January 13, 2011

daigoume

April 24, 2011  3:00pm

Wow this is a great resource.. I'm enjoying it.. good article

Simon

February 03, 2011  10:58am

I have so many mixed feelings on this - he gets one thing right, ie. that the religious right is impotent. I think Church and politics in America has become so enmeshed and polarised that people are unable to separate the two and as such a lot of Christians' credibility has been undermined. Having said that, Haggard seems to have gone beyond this and seems to be disillusioned not just with the expressions of Church which he sees, but with the gospel. I agree with Alan McCann on his failure to face up to the consequences of his sin. The Church does need to extend God's grace to people when they approach in an attitude of repentance, but it seems to me that this has not been the case, and that Haggard's former Church have just been following the advice of 2 Timothy 3:5

Alan McCann

January 19, 2011  7:22am

i encountered a similar reaction after the exposure of a leading member of my congregation in similar circumstances to Haggard. the refusal to acknowledge the sin, to repent and to turn away increased the pain for all concerned. It is the use of 'counselling' language - of mistakes, of issues, of my wounds etc - and the non-acceptance of biblical discipline that as a pastor i found very difficult. yes there can be a lack of love by the church but equally there is a lack of repentance, sorry, shame and honesty in Haggard's response. The higher up the leadrship ladder that people go the greater the consequences of their fall into sinful lifestyles - at the end of the day i think a prolonged period of silence, repentance and renewal of his marriage etc would of greater service to the gospel than anything else. i pray we are more honest about sin but also that those who are caught truly repent and dont go on a media crusade to justify their sinful actions.

Wes

January 18, 2011  12:59pm

"Do you agree with his perspective? No, I don't. I don't believe the Bible does, either.

Robert

January 18, 2011  11:55am

This is a man who used his spiritual authority to corrupt young men in his ministry. (Why is nobody asking about the other young men who have said he abused them?) He has no business critiquing the evangelical church. That said this is my main question: How is it that he relates evangelicals influence with the results of an election? Does he really believe the only power of the Gospel is performed at the ballot box? I pray for this man, I hope he finally submits to the spiritual authority that is seeking to restore him but also keep him accountable. His hubris is maddening.

sheerahkahn

January 18, 2011  11:13am

"Haggard should demonstrate a willingness to repent and receive the forgiveness that is offered." And therein lies the issue...does he even want to be forgiven?

Ken

January 18, 2011  7:48am

"Jesus came to heal us from our shortcomings." Oh my. He shouldn't be complaining about people's inability to forgive. He doesn't think he needs forgiving. He needs healing. He doesn't have sin. He has shortcomings. The church should demonstrate an eagerness to forgive, regardless of the sin. Haggard should demonstrate a willingness to repent and receive the forgiveness that is offered.

Mark

January 16, 2011  8:22am

If I were to judge Haggard, I don't know if I'm more offended by his hatred and judgmental attitude before his public fall, or what he was doing that led to that fall. Obviously, both were going on simultaneously, which made him a hypocrite. And "hypocrite" sure seems to exasperate our Lord Jesus as much as anything does. I'm less and less surprised when we find out the private struggles of another high profile Pastor or leader who's been preaching and teaching condemnation. That is why I try to steer away from a condemning attitude in my own life: I still have my own personal struggles and brokenness that Jesus isn't through with yet. When we condemn, it prevents our own healing and restoration from taking place. When we condemn, we continue our separation from God by assuming a role God didn't intend for us. And yes, if it is our function as Believers to call out sin, then we must call out ALL sin: greed, gossip, indifference, hatred, slander, malice, judgmentalism, dishonesty, arrogance. Ezekiel tells the exiled Israelites in 16: 49-50 why God destroyed Sodom: 49 "‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. 50 They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen. I'm glad it's NOT our function to call out all sin. That is why back in the day, in the very beginning of our relationship with God, the only thing we were forbidden from was pursuing knowledge of good and evil. Grace and Peace, Mark

Rob Dunbar

January 15, 2011  10:00am

Good on ya, Lonnie. Yours is probably the most accurate response here: "Where is Christ in either position?"

Lonnie

January 14, 2011  11:45pm

As a man who left homosexuality, 31 years ago, but not for religious reasons, some of what Haggard says rings true. I, unlike him, would not single out those on the religious right. In my experience the religious left is just as wrong as any on the right. Those on the right condemned me, but those on the left affirmed me in my sin. Where is Christ in either position? I see in the Bible "and such were some of you...", but I have not found a Church which can offer the past tense to my sin and sinful proclivity. God had to lead me to the answer, and for me it is quite clear. The question for my fellow believers is: How is it that you can condemn or affirm, but you cannot bring anyone to, "such were you..."? Think of Haggard however you like, but you, who criticize him here, what do you offer? My 2 cents Lonnie