Ur Video: Francis Chan's Warning to Young Pastors
It's not just about having right doctrine, but also about our lives.

James Wiggins

November 29, 2011  6:59am

I tend to agree with those saying that this should go without saying, especially to those who have spent enough time with the Bible to pursue a pastoral role. This fact is reiterated so many times throughout scripture. However, it also reminds me of Paul's words from Philippians: "It is no trouble for me to say these things to you again..."

Michael Shanlian

November 23, 2011  6:45am

Nothing new here. The majority of the people who listened to Jesus ignored His teachings. I agree our walk must match our talk. Being a great communicator alone does not make an effective pastor. Over my thirty-five years of ministry I know men who preach sound doctrine but are not dynamic speakers. However, they are wonderful shepherd's. They produce solid sustainable ministries not built around a personality but Christ!

MILANY

November 22, 2011  2:15am

As Christ is coming soon so as member of the church we need to go and work for Him not that we will be hearers only. We need to win souls for Him.

Paul

November 21, 2011  11:10am

I agree that this is not a "new" danger exclusive to younger pastors. However, I do wonder if Chan's message is right on seeing as it seems so easy today for younger pastors (I'm one myself) to rapidly become popular and celebrity-like just because they can preach good. In a world of facebook "likes" and twitter "followers", pastors need to keep a close watch on their ego that blinds them to the duplicity in their own life.

Paul

November 21, 2011  11:08am

Holly B

November 19, 2011  9:35pm

I appreciated Francis Chan's message. We need to be doers and not merely hearers. And while this is important for everyone, I think it is especially important for younger leaders to be reminded of this truth. The younger generation is surrounded by enticing temptations while at the same time it has easy access to solid teaching material. It can be tempting to mistake knowing about God for knowing God.

elegance

November 19, 2011  10:32am

While this isn't 'news' it needs to be said over and over. And Francis said that he is continually examining his own life for obedience. Jas 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. KJV Jas 1:22 - 24 Don't fool yourself into thinking that you are a listener when you are anything but, letting the Word go in one ear and out the other. Act on what you hear! Those who hear and don't act are like those who glance in the mirror, walk away, and two minutes later have no idea who they are, what they look like. MSG

Terry

November 18, 2011  3:57pm

Why is this news? This has been the continual message to young believers (and old as well) since the beginning. It has always been much easier to "preach" than it has been to "do." It has been the lack of doing that undermines every fallen preacher eventually

nathan

November 18, 2011  2:41pm

So the perennial challenge of being doers of the word and not merely hearers only is the special province and responsibility of "younger pastors"? Why does it have to be framed up in those terms? Isn't this the challenge in every time and place for the Church? Framing things in terms of age, gender, generation, etc. is only helpful when those categories obtain. They don't here.