Stupid Church Tricks: Dead Easter Bunny
At Easter, this church believes there's no such thing as bad press.

To promote its Easter services last month, The Rock Community Church in South Carolina sent out postcards with a photograph of a dead rabbit. It read "Bunnies Stay Dead. Jesus Didn't." (Profound theological commentary, I know.)

Residents offended by the mailer called the church to complain and have their names removed from the mailing list. The stunt also made the local news. Kevin Childs, lead pastor of The Rock, said, "Some of it is a calculated risk, are we willing to offend some to get the attention of some other folks."

You succeeded, Rev. Childs.

May 02, 2012

SamuelPG

May 10, 2012  9:43am

Daniel, I understand where you are coming from, and I agree with you to the point that this type of thing can easily turn into us, as Christians, feeling very proud of ourselves that we "would never make that mistake." If we find ourselves being prideful, arrogant, or smug, then we need to check ourselves. On the other hand, I think it is beneficial for Christians to acknowledge mistakes made by the Church, to learn from them, and to help discourage others from making similar mistakes. Because this church's promotion caught national news attention, it is important that non-Christians can find Christians who are willing to say, "Yeah, that was messed up and maybe not the wisest thing." If they can't find us acknowledging our own mistakes, then they won't understand the Gospel message that everyone sins and that we are saved by grace instead of perfection. On top of that, if Christians don't respond to this sort of thing, many people are left thinking that the mistakes of the Church are endorsed by all members of the Church. For instance, when Terry Jones was deciding to burn the Koran, it would have been much worse for the Church if all Christians had just quietly disapproved instead of letting it be known that Koran-burning is not something we do. In any case, I really respect your love for the Church. We always need more of that.

sheerahkahn

May 04, 2012  1:33am

"I could be wrong, but seriously answer me this... Do you think this is helping us in any fashion (as the universal Church) to hear these stories?" Yes. One of the faucets of being human is the inter-relationships we develope, and through these relationships in groups we develope group knowledge. This group knowledge is a collective of experiences, observations, and activities that we bring with us. Thus, when a negative reaction occurs to a member of the group we all observe and learn from that. Same, same with a positive reaction. Among the primates the worse thing that could happen is to become separated from the group as the individual primate relies on the groups collective knowledge. If they do get separated from the group they're ability to survive on their own diminishes exponentially each day their isolated. So for us, yes, we learn not to do this because of the negative reaction and how it looks really, really bad.

Daniel

May 03, 2012  8:43pm

Too true Bill, Just last week I took a girl to the hospital who had severed a tendon in her foot. The doctors opinion was that she would never walk fully again. 3 days later she was fine. Throguh the healing power of Christ. I ahve friends right now in South America, they have only been there a month but have already seen over 800 salvations. This year alone I have seen many people healed, and many saved. I agree that the church is not perfect, yet. But do we really think that an online blog is the best place to genuinely make change in this regard? I love the idea of the blog, it is why I have been coming here for years and trying to bring influence and correction through this may work. Just not very likely. I'm not saying these should not be addressed, but the format. This kind of thing could be sharing stories of how Christianity is heating it up around the world. Imagine if every day we saw new stories of the Kingdom of God advancing? It would bring hope and life, not discouragement and dispair. Yes we do many things wrong. But millions are being saved. Thousands are being healed. God is moving. I could be wrong, but seriously answer me this... Do you think this is helping us in any fashion (as the universal Church) to hear these stories?

Bill Williams

May 03, 2012  2:44pm

I empathize with daniel's point, and I do agree with his desire to shift our focus on "celebrating something amazing that was done by the church." I'm not saying we shouldn't call out churches that deserve to be called out. But I am concerned that when that becomes our "diet", we end up with a skewed image of what the Church is actually like. Sheerahkahn wrote the following: "The problem is that for every one of our 'amazing things' the Church does, she also does two 'Oh, that's bad!'" I'm not sure if that's the case, though. Actually, I suspect that the main reason why we don't see a lot of posts about the amazing things the Church does is that because at our best, the amazing things the Church does, we're not even aware of them (cf. the parable of the sheep and goats in Mt 25)! Still, when we are aware of them, I do think it is good to celebrate them. It could serve to show us that although the Church is not as good as it should be, it may also not be as bad as we think it is!

Kevin

May 03, 2012  2:24pm

Daniel, Why is this playing into the hands of the enemy? To me, silence in the face of stupidity because of appearances is playing into the hands of the enemy. It seems every time there's a criticism of something a church or church leader has done, someone says "well, the 'other guys' are way worse that that!" When I said something like that as a kid, my mom or dad would say "Well, I don't care about what so and so does...I'm not their parent!" Likewise, I don't care what other institutions do...but I am a part of the church of Jesus Christ...and I think it's incumbent upon us to call out the dumb stuff and say that it's not acceptable. I'd rather see us calling ourselves out than acting like we're cool with it. To me, that's credibility. The problem with preaching the Gospel that way is that no one heard the Gospel. They saw a grotesque picture, and associated it with the church. Not cool.

alison

May 03, 2012  10:11am

This isn't exactly the same, or maybe not the same at all. However, one year I wasn't going to vote and I received a mailer from a certain party that was SO VERY OFFENSIVE (it was similar in content to receiving a postcard with a dead bunny), that I immediately went out and voted for the other side.

sheerahkahn

May 03, 2012  2:14am

"When was the last time something was posted that was celebrating something amazing that was done by the church?" Well, herein is the thing...the Church does do amazing things. The problem is that for every one of our "amazing things" the Church does, she also does two "Oh, that's bad!" It's kind of like, "One step forward, two steps back." except without the fun of the children's game, and more of an grown up version of "wow, can we learn to not to make these mistakes in public!"

sheerahkahn

May 03, 2012  1:39am

"Kevin Childs, lead pastor of The Rock, said, "Some of it is a calculated risk,are we willing to offend some to get the attention of some other folks.""Calculated risk"...mmmhmmm..."willing to offend some to get the attention of some other folks." I think I see the problem. The problem is that Mr. Childs assumed an outcome based on a very basic, yet often made mistake of logic which is he equated "attention" with attraction. Attention does not equal attraction. And bad publicity does not equal any good publicity. And based on the phone messages played on the news...it's all bad publicity. Which is sad because all this does is reinforce the notion to non-Christians that "all" pastors are just plain, old-fashion sociopaths looking for the next sucker to fleece.

daniel

May 03, 2012  1:21am

I find it quite uncomfortable that you post these things. Yes we realise they are not good, but surely by highlighting these is nothing more than playing into the hands of our enemy. To whose benefit is it to see the church in disunity and mocking itself? Paul says that He rejoices when the Gospel is preached, even when it is done so for the wrong motivations, and by the wrong people. I'm sorry, but I do not understand your motivation for this. When was the last time something was posted that was celebrating something amazing that was done by the church?