Ur Video: N.T. Wright- What Is the Gospel?

We're continuing our video series on "What is the gospel?" with a bit from N.T. Wright. His perspective (on Paul and the New Testament) is gaining many followers, but he's also caused some in the Reformed camp to flip out. What do you think about his take on the Good News?

None
October 18, 2012

elegance

October 20, 2012  8:31am

Aha!

Anonymous

October 19, 2012  12:32pm

Elegance, if you look at the beginning of the clip, it appears that this is from 2001. That would explain the apparent weight loss!

Bill

October 19, 2012  5:56am

I think he describes the "gospel" very well in this clip. I would suggest that those who hear this gospel and transfer their allegiance to Jesus (as opposed to merely transfering a share of their allegiance) then enter into an in-breaking Kingdom of God. It is the nature of this Kingdom that is most exciting, interesting, and likely controversial.

Bill

October 19, 2012  5:55am

Steve Martin

October 18, 2012  11:01pm

The phrase from the Reformation that caused much trouble and bothered the Catholic so much was this, "Simul eustes et peculator"...at the same time fully sinful...yet fully justified. We (believers) are all a very mixed bag. None of us are good stewards of the gifts that God has bestowed upon us, including the gift of the gospel. We could all do a lot better. But the gospel is that Christ loves and died for, and forgives the ungodly. We are free in Christ. Now that we don't 'have to' do anything...what do we want to do? Thanks.

Karen

October 18, 2012  9:38pm

From my perspective, this is a more satisfying very brief summary of the content of "the gospel" than the first from Ravi Zacharias. Plus, I learned something new–the reference to "good news" in Isaiah.

elegance

October 18, 2012  2:30pm

Looks to me like N.T. has lost weight and also his glasses. Lookin' good! This one clip certainly would not be a problem for any reformed person that I know (including me).

Kenton

October 18, 2012  2:10pm

@Greg- I should clarify: I didn't mean married in a reformed (read "complementarian") sort of way, but in a more egalitarian way. I assume in your "flower connected to its root" rhetoric that grace is the root ("husband", perhaps?), and works is the flower ("wife"?). The idea that there are some plants that don't propagate by flowering isn't lost either. ;)

Greg

October 18, 2012  2:01pm

@Url, for the sake of your readers I need to mention that this video is uncontroversial. Rather, it's some of his other material (esp. the nature of justification, faith, and righteousness) that is more problematic. @Kenton, no, Reformed folk can "handle" that faith and works are "married to each other." See Eph 2:8-10 and James 2.14-26. We would see works related to faith not as two sides of a coin, but as a flower's plant is connected to its roots. The latter is connected to, and issues from, the former. But they are not the same. One comes before the other.

Kenton

October 18, 2012  11:40am

I think he's spot on. Faith and works are not two separate things, they're married to each other. That's what the reformed folks can't handle.