The Most Interesting Theologians in the World
Stay doctrinal, my friends...

You're familiar with Dos Equis' "Most Interesting Man in the World." It is said that he once "led a flock of endangered cranes across Siberia on a motorized hang glider." "When it is raining, it's because he's thinking of something sad." And, "At museums, he's allowed to touch the art."

But have you heard of The Most Interesting Theologians in the World?

These are men rich in stories and experiences, the embodiments of our doctrinal dreams. They're so strong that forts are named after them. So brilliant that most scholars are unable to assimilate their genius. They have contributed volumes to Christian thought, and even after their deaths, they continue to write libraries vicariously through others.

These are The Most Interesting Theologians in the World.

Stay curious, my friends. And please, read responsibly.

MORE BELOW:

Here are individual images in case you want to share them (just link back here, please):

July 24, 2013

Anastasios

September 13, 2013  1:20am

They all seem to be Western though....why not add some more diversity? "I don't always experience God directly, but when I do it's always his energies, not his essence. Stay Orthodox my friends" -Gregory Palamas "I don't always invent new alphabets for people, but when I do I make the letters look like the decorations on their houses. Stay Armenian my friends" - Mashjar Mashtots "I don't always talk to the emperor of China, but whenever I do he lets me build churches and monasteries. Stay Persian my friends" - Alopen "I don't always debate Rastafarians, but when I do I always need to persuade them that I'm not God. Stay Ethiopian Orthodox my friends" -Haile Selassie (Okay, he's not technically a theologian, but I still think this one's pretty cool) "I don't always fight for economic justice, but when I do it's to prevent the wealthy pagans from forcing poor Christian peasants to buy their rotten wine. Stay Coptic my friends" -Shenoute

Chris Wynn

August 08, 2013  9:27am

I don't always preach about salvation but when I do I include everybody in the world. Stay universalist my friends.

Daniel

August 03, 2013  4:41pm

"I don't always study the kingdom, but when I do, it's inaugurated. Stay eschatological, my friends." – George Ladd

T

August 03, 2013  3:52pm

"I don't always teach on The New Testament, but when I do, it's with fresh perspective. Stay reforming, my friends." – N.T. Wright.

John Hartung

July 26, 2013  3:54pm

"I don't always recommend loving yourself. But when I do, it's for God's sake. Stay white hot my friends!" – St. Bernard de Clairveux

laura

July 26, 2013  2:01pm

"I don't always write to the pope, but when I do I prefer to urge reform. Stay Catholic, my friends." –Catherine of Siena

laura

July 26, 2013  1:53pm

"I don't always preach outdoors, but when I do I prefer to preach grace. Stay Wesleyan, my friend." –John Wesley

Tracy Dickerson

July 25, 2013  10:20pm

"I don't often engage in disputes... But when I do, it is to *explain* why I refuse to cease teaching and writing.Stay tri-furcated and pacifistic, my friends." ~Menno Simons Someone needs to do NT Wright...Just sayin' ;)

Jake Walsh

July 25, 2013  9:26am

"I don't always work around the house, but when I do I prefer to take out the garbage. Stay complementarian, my friends." –Wayne Grudem

Kyle Rohane

July 25, 2013  9:06am

Or: "I don't always teach discipline, but when I do I prefer it to be carried out by the church, not the magistrate. Stay radical, my friends." –Menno Simons Robert- Keep your ear to the ground. If we get enough suggestions, we may put together a second round of "Interesting Theologians."