Ur Video: Greg Boyd Answers "Are Mormons Saved?"
What role does right theology have in a person's salvation?

Boyd says, "It's not the content, the accuracy of your theology that is the deciding factor. It is the orientation of your heart, the core of your being." Do you agree? Watch this video and let's discuss.

None
May 20, 2013

Amanda

October 04, 2013  10:08pm

I am proud of being a Mormon. I just LOVE it. To me being saved is feeling peace inside my heart that I am right with God. I feel this because I have accepted Jesus Christ and try to follow his example. When I mess up I repent and try again. I know how I feel when I am not right with God and when I am. I feel so clean now that I do not doubt that I am forgiven. This is an AMAZING feeling! The main difference is that Mormon Christians have have authority from Jesus Christ to perform baptism. Faith, repentance and baptism is what I can do. Grace is what ultimately saves us. Love Ya all!

elegance

June 04, 2013  8:53pm

pastor v, when you say, "The same mercy I depend on for my own salvation, I must be willing to extend to those with whose theology I disagree." you make it sound like it is you who does the extenting of the God's mercy. Maybe what you meant is that you need to be nice to Mormons and JW's; a sentiment with which I would agree. However, I would just like to point out that while one is being nice to them it would be a travesty to never point out the error of their belief. Is it so difficult to believe that God could actually use you to draw an unsaved religious person to the truth? And if you say nothing, will God not hold you accountable? Trust me, this is a real issue for me as my husband and I have a great friendship with our JW neighbors and are in prayer for the right opportunity to share the truth with them in love. If that truth is shared and they choose to reject it, that is not our problem but rather theirs and God's. My issue with Greg Boyd is that he seems to be so uncertain of his own theology that he dare not share anything with anyone else lest they think he is a know-it-all. I can't figure out why he is a pastor if he doesn't really believe his own theology - whatever that is.

pastor v

May 29, 2013  6:24pm

Cynthia, As I wrote, yes, our theology matters. My point is, however, that our salvation is based on faith in Christ, not on having perfect theology. None of us has perfect theology. All of us see in part. I believe there are some things in Mormon theology and JW theology that are wrong. But integrity demands that I recognize that there are things in my own theology that are wrong as well! The same mercy I depend on for my own salvation, I must be willing to extend to those with whose theology I disagree. Let us all seek to know and understand God as best as we can, with the power of the Holy Spirit guiding us, and allow God alone to judge. That was my point.

Cynthia

May 28, 2013  6:49pm

"The content of our theology does matter, obviously, because what we believe ultimately affects how we live." Chap Of course our theology matters! Not only does what we believe ultimately affect how we live, but it determines our salvation. Just know who Jesus is does not save a person, we must place our Faith in Him and His finished work on the cross. We can't just say, "Yeah, I believe there is a God and that Jesus was real." That doesn't get us through the gate into the sheep fold. I do agree, we are not able to say who will be saved or who won't. Lord willing more people will come to know Christ and find salvation, but it is an offer that expires. One that does not rely on anything we can do as humans other than believing in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Yes, Theology matters and the doctrine you follow.

pastor v

May 26, 2013  3:58pm

Tim, "God has this all worked out. We are just his messengers, nothing else. It's not up to us to guess or assume or make statements in our human limitation that deal with issues in God's sovereignty. We can rest in God's holy character. Anything beyond that is trying to play God." Agreed. I believe you and I are essentially in agreement. Thanks for the clarification.

Tim

May 24, 2013  2:51pm

pastor v "...yet their heart is open to follow God as best as they understand him–will they lose their salvation simply for the lack of exposure?" God has this all worked out. We are just his messengers, nothing else. It's not up to us to guess or assume or make statements in our human limitation that deal with issues in God's sovereignty. We can rest in God's holy character. Anything beyond that is trying to play God.

pastor v

May 24, 2013  12:28pm

Tim, I agree with you about walking in the light as He is in the light. I guess my question is, doesn't a person's exposure to the light factor into the conversation? If there is a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness, for example, who never has the opportunity to understand the Biblical teachings of Jesus as you and I understand them, and yet their heart is open to follow God as best as they understand him–will they lose their salvation simply for the lack of exposure? I mean, it's one thing for someone to be exposed to the truth about Jesus and reject that truth, and continue to walk in darkness, as you pointed out. But what about those whose hearts are open to following God as best they understand him, and who walk in as much light as is available to them, however incomplete or imperfect that light may be?

Tim

May 23, 2013  11:25pm

"What role does right theology have in a person's salvation?" It is clear from several postings so far that Mr. Boyd did not read the scriptures he quoted before he referred to them. If he had actually read them, he would not have used them. If right theology did not matter for salvation, God would not have bothered to preserve it for us and lead saints to give their lives to be burned at the stake so we could know the truth. It is not a point of judgment on our part to tell LDS and JW that they are lost unless they repent and turn to the true Jesus. We are just being a witness to the truth. God has already made the judgement and we are His messengers. Whether someone can be saved out of LDS or JW is not the question here. Of course they can be saved out of darkness and into the light. If someone continues to walk in darkness, it matters little of what they claim they believe or how nice they are as a human being. They must walk in the light as He is in the light if there is going to be fellowship on any level - vertical or horizontal. Mark Gomez "Every week pastors are required to stand in front of a bunch of critics..." Where is this requirement stated - regardless of whether the saints are a bunch of critics or a bunch of yes-men? If you are thinking "preach the Word, in season and out..." try again because this does not say "lecture the Word, for 30 to 45 minutes, no participation from anyone else, seminary degree required, hired in from some other church, etc. This is a grossly twisted practice that nullifies what God's Word says about teaching and preaching in the household of faith. No wonder you have a bunch of critics. They are not yet "equipped for every good work" yet and never will be in this system - well there may be a few, very few, exceptions.

pastor v

May 23, 2013  4:26pm

The content of our theology does matter, obviously, because what we believe ultimately affects how we live. Greg, while affirming that truth, reminds us that nevertheless, our salvation is based on faith in Christ, not on the "orthodoxy" of our theology about Christ, or any other issue for that matter. Zephaniah says that God is mighty to save. It is clear from Scriptures that God can save us despite our limited understanding of Christ, and he mentioned some examples. Because the truth is, none of us has a perfect theology! I'm not talking about making excuses for incorrect theology, and certainly we should make every effort to understand Scripture to the best of our ability. What I'm talking about, however, is recognizing that everyone of us sees through a glass, darkly. The Jehovah's Witnesses and the Mormons, I believe, have some serious misunderstandings about Christ. But I must never be eager to point out the speck in their eyes, without first being willing to consider the log in my own eyes, and don't think you don't have one! If I believe God is mighty to save me despite how imperfect and incomplete my knowledge and understanding of Christ is, how can I possibly doubt God's power to save those in the JW and Mormon churches whose hearts are genuinely open to him?

Chap

May 23, 2013  4:23pm

"It's difficult to take this man seriously. He certainly didn't appear to be taking himself or what he said seriously. He certainly didn't appear to wish for viewers to take him seriously. I'm surprised he didn't belch at the end. Sorry, I found him to be discourteous and sloppy at best. I guess alot of people like that." GUESS you wouldn't have appreciated John the Baptist, Jeremiah, or a host of other prophets either. You might have disagreed with what he said, but don't disagree because he looks sloppy...geeesh.