Jump directly to the content

Hogan Hilling

February 18, 2013  11:00am

Mrs. Simpson, Amy, Thank you so much for writing a wonderful article. When a dad is caring for a child he is not there to replace a mom's role. I came out of the pantry in 1991 and was an at-home dad for 20 years and the children are still breathing. I would like to applaud today's at-home dads because they are much more confident, secure and pro-active. While they all tackle their daily parenting duties with pride and grace, some also volunteer time to their communities and the National At-Home Dad Network. I hope you will consider writing a follow-up article about the NAHDN and the convention they host every year. This year will be the 18th Annual At-Home Dads Convention in Denver, Colorado. www.athomedad.org I’d be happy to assist you with the article. You can reach me at mediarelations@daddyshome.org. Sincerely, Hogan Hilling, Proud At-Home Dad, NAHDN Board Member At-Large and Media Relations Chairperson

Spiritual Images

February 09, 2013  5:09am

Thank you for your article Amy! It was very inspiring. Hope it will inspire other people and help them improves themselves.

Matt Peregoy

February 07, 2013  9:57pm

Thank you for this article, Amy! It is incredibly important that the church recognize the needs of their congregations. There are fathers in our pews who need to know that there is more to "providing" for a family than bringing home a paycheck. If the church encouraged more fathers to be actively engaging their families in emotional and spiritual matters, instead of sitting idly by while moms handle that "fluffy stuff," the world would be a lot better off. Encouragement starts with recognition, and it is clear that you "get it" when it comes to recognizing the sacrifices and challenges that at-home dads face. I can only hope that the church continues to embrace and support at-home dads in their congregations.

Rachel Stephan Simko

February 07, 2013  9:47pm

My husband has a semi-flexible schedule and so he frequently will have my daughter for a morning or afternoon. It's great fun for both of them. Actually, I'm pretty sure he's better at making friends at the park than I am! But that's just his personality -- he doesn't let people put him in a box. I am extremely shy at the park or storytime at the library and am more prone to isolation. (evenonesparrow.blogspot.com)

Tim Fall

February 07, 2013  3:22pm

Nice job Amy. When I would take the kids on errands, to the park, help out in their classroom or whatever, people might try to put the babysitter, Mr. Mom, dad's day or something similar on it. But I'd tell those people "What I'm doing is called parenting." It might catch them off guard, but it might also lead to an illuminating conversation. Parents loving and caring for their children honors our heavenly Father who loves and cares for us. How could all us parents, moms and dads, not want to be like our Father in that regard? Cheers, Tim (timfall.wordpress.com)

still learning

February 07, 2013  3:04pm

Are these single dads? Or are their wives out working?

Sheila Lagrand

February 07, 2013  2:28pm

I delight in watching my sons-in-law be dads to their young children. Even though I like to think I run with a pretty progressive crowd, a few of my friends were stunned to hear that one of my SIL cared for his four-month-old daughter for a week while my daughter was away on family business. And everyone lived to tell about it. :)

Jay Knudsen

February 07, 2013  12:05pm

Thank you so much for addressing this topic. No one asks a women when she goes to work if she is a Mrs. Dad. I have told people that I am a "Mr. Dad" when they call me Mr. Mom. I am sure that there will always be criticism of stay at home dads just as there is criticism of women who work outside the home. It would be nice if there was a fundamental shift in mainstream Christian circles, including complementarians, to recognize SAHD's as a legitimate way to serve and provide for their families. The post industrial WWII model of a Christian family is changing, we need to celebrate our gifts and blessings rather than dividing over differences that only impede the furthering of His Kingdom.

Tyler Watson

February 07, 2013  11:59am

Thanks for this article. As a pastor who stepped aside from church ministry to be an at-home dad, it is a great encouragement to read this in Christianity Today.

Al Watts

February 07, 2013  11:48am

Fantastic article Amy! I've been an at-home dad for 10 years and have tried to explain to people for years how nothing was wrong with my masculinity when I stepped out of the workforce. You have explained it better than I ever have! I hope everyone reads this and begins to understand that a man taking care of his children is not "Mr. Mom." He is simply "Dad." Thank you!!!

Adam Shields

February 07, 2013  11:43am

As a stay at home uncle for the past 5 years I have certainly be a part of the ignored person at the park. I also think that dads, just like many moms, do things their own way. And it is good to encourage people to parent in the way that works for them. Of course I am not advocating abuse or neglect, but the hovering mom that won't allow her kids on a jungle gym because it might be dangerous is what is usually held up as the right way to parent. There are other ways that are just as good.

Rev. Dr. Bill Ekhardt

February 07, 2013  11:39am

Thank you very much for your article, Amy. You get it, clearly because you have lived it. As a pastor who has set aside the pulpit to raise my four children, I greatly appreciate it.

Chad Welch

February 07, 2013  11:22am

As an at-home dad thank you for this article. I also wanted to let you know there is a national organization for at-home dads. It includes an annual convention which is on its 18th year. www.AtHomeDad.org

Cheryl Okimoto

February 07, 2013  11:07am

Thank you for this thoughtful post. I am tired of hearing Christians say that a woman's place is in the home while a man is supposed to work. I've heard people declare that is the biblical way, but I haven't seen the evidence. In fact, the oft-misquoted Proverbs 31 shows a woman who earns a living! "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard....She sees that her trading is profitable...She makes linen garments and sells them" vv.16,18,24. Her husband is honored because of it (v.23)! An example in the NT about a woman who earned a living is Lydia, a wealthy seller of purple cloth (Acts 16:14), and she was a leader in the community. Men are called to lead their families, both wives and children. If a man is always gone earning a living, how much is he leading in his home? I think that men who chose to humble themselves, as Jesus did, and pour into their families deserve great respect in the Christian community.

Hannah N.

February 07, 2013  10:52am

I love this article! Let's affirm and support men's desires to spend time with their kids and not patronize them.

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

So Much More to Sex than 'Fifty Shades'

Society overlooks true intimacy when we idolize the pleasure of steamy sex.

What We're Reading