Jump directly to the content

audrey ruth

March 05, 2013  11:41am

esther tchoe, I cannot see that Dan Cathy has fought against anyone or that Chick-Fil-A has failed at anything. Cathy simply declared his Biblical belief in marriage as God defines it. If people who do not know and understand God's Word misunderstand our Biblical beliefs and thus misrepresent us as "haters", that does not mean we are haters -- actually, just the opposite is true. The Lord has stated very clearly in His Word that He hates sin -- we are to hate sin too. This does not mean we hate sinners, though (all of us were once sinners). It does mean that when we love God, we love what He loves and hate what He hates. Christ Jesus said that if the world had loved Him, it would love us. Instead, it hated Him and it hates those who are His. Even if we could be perfect as He was/is, we would still be hated and reviled for His sake. Our part is to be faithful to Him in all we do, trusting Him to use all things for good as He promised

esther tchoe

March 05, 2013  11:29am

I’m glad Chick-Fil-A tried to show everyone a lesson on loving our enemy. Chick-Fil-A tried and failed. Showing everyone where Christians stand, that that they are for same-sex marriage, told those in support of gay marriage that they are our enemy. So many supporters of gay marriage were not only offended but some were even provoked to respond in ways to “offend” us. Some gay couples were found in front of Chick-Fil-A restaurants making out to prove and defend their rights. And I don’t believe that’s the way the gospel would show us to stand for what we believe in. The gospel doesn’t tell us to do whatever and everything we can as Christians to tell the world what we are against. Jesus did not proclaim to the world that He was against homosexuality. The Apostles did not do the same. Instead, they reached out solely to minister to sinners, not taking a stand on their views and getting politically involved. Jesus was never politically involved, and that’s why He said, “My Kingdom is not of this world.” His only goal and aim was to preach the gospel, drawing sinners to repentance. I understand Dan Cathy’s heart and intentions to fight for our moral Christian views of traditional marriage and preserve the sanctity of marriage. But our aim as Christians should always to live out the gospel, not taking a stand and getting politically involved. What Chick-Fil-A did and many other people like Dan Cathy do is tell the world what Christians are against. The whole world knows what we’re against. Why not tell them more what we’re for? Inviting masses of Christians to participate in Chick-Fil-A’s taking a stand against gay marriage only shows those in support of gay marriage that we are AGAINST it. We are showing them that they are wrong, that we are against their SIN. We are saying they are sinners and WRONG. Our main purpose and goal as Christians, in whatever we do to stand for truth, is to live out the gospel in the way Jesus did. If more people saw the Christian church live their faith in radical love, then we’d see that getting politically involved is completely unnecessary.

audrey ruth

March 01, 2013  4:33pm

Throughout the re-making of our society into one in which Christians are fine and dandy as long as we don't say anything with which others (in this case, those who practice homosexual acts) disagree, the real problem is that we are not allowed to simply state what the Lord God has declared as Truth, or we are falsely accused of being haters. There is no room for simple disagreement -- for doing as Jesus did and does, speaking the truth in love and hating the sin while loving the sinner. We have to march in lockstep with the unGodly, unBiblical agenda which extends no respect to a different view, or else we are marginalized and demonized. I applaud Mr. Cathy's stand, including his willingness to reason with those who do not understand and agree with God's Word. Many would love to see it eradicated from our society completely.

Taylor Jones

February 26, 2013  2:24pm

I am not surprised that Mr. Cathy did this because most of the Christians I know react the same way. I say most because all isn't true of any subject. My frustration, even though we show love and compassion, is the way we are demonized in the media. No matter how kind and loving we are, it is presented as hate speech because we disagree with the way they want to live. Since the media supports their agenda, it is a constant belittling of anyone of Christian faith. However, any other "religion" including devil worship is supported and not ridiculed. It was Hillary that said it takes a village to raise a child. We are all too aware that a village can raise your children in a way that will not be in keeping with God's laws. It is a constant struggle to raise your children in a Godly atmosphere. Although deeply afraid for our nation, I will continue to love my enemies and pray for those who persecute me.

carlos santiago

February 25, 2013  12:12pm

Mr Cathy has been a great example from the beginning. Though others thought to harm him by slander he has fought the good fight and has overcome by showing God's love faithfully. Well done!

Tim Childs

February 24, 2013  11:20am

Howard Pepper: You made a very good point or two! It isn't that we should just love gay people either, it is that as we learn to understand why someone is different from us, different skin colour, different culture, different experiences in life and so on, we become more rounded in ourselves. After all, in pluralistic multi-cultural societies all over the world, we are all often very different people, with different faiths and ideas of how to live; we can, at the end of the day, learn to tolerate each other and rub along, or we will find that their is increasing tension and friction. No one minds eating Indian or Chinese or Mexican or Thai food after all, but there are people who are racist and prejudiced against the people who bring new foods and cultures into the Western hemisphere. As Christians, we are simpy commanded to 'love your neighbour as yourself'; no ifs, buts or maybes, just a commandment that we should learn to love, tolerate and respect all people.

Howard Pepper

February 24, 2013  10:21am

Thanks for the great article, Dorothy. I wasn't aware of this development and am encouraged by it (the new friendship or mutual respect). I'm also encouraged by your emphasis on the application of "love your enemies". In terms of gay issues (marriage, yes, but more broadly also), so many times people's attitudes and posture toward gays or the cultural/legal issues involved changes substantially IF they discover a loved one is gay or IF they get to know a gay person on a close personal basis.... It tends to help strip away the stereotypes and unfounded fears, myths, etc. I hope many more Christians will proactively pursue relationships with gay people (and maybe find some in their own church, or close to home are gay, in the process).

Tim Cowley

February 24, 2013  6:56am

I'm glad these individuals have been able to see past their differences and love each other, but there is a difference between refusing to support gay marriage, as the article states, and active opposition. Worded this way, the article implies that the ire people feel towards Dan Cathy is his personal conviction that gay marriage is wrong. The Christian Right often characterizes such situations as an increasingly liberal society being opposed to the right of Christians to hold certain moral convictions. In other words they portray themselves as victims of the PC culture. But this does not accurately describe what is happening. The major issue that the LGBT and their supporters have is that he gives money to organizations that want government enforced bans on gay marriage, and he and these organizations often do so in an unloving way. If you actively oppose someone's agenda you should expect backlash and if you lack love and compassion while doing so, you will only breed more conflict.

Rachel Stephan Simko

February 24, 2013  6:54am

Thanks for highlighting this. I was in the "never going back to Chic-fil-a" camp, but now I am thankful to see how Cathy responded to the outrage over his remarks. I had a misconception about who he was, based on the way most of my Christian friends responded by waving their "NO GAY" flags. It was a hurtful time for me -- hurting on behalf of my LGBT friends and feeling misunderstood in my Christian culture. Interesting (but no surprise) that no news media picked this side of the story up.

carlene byron

February 23, 2013  4:00pm

Thank you, Dorothy Greco, for bringing us closer to the heart of our faith! The Lord taught Israel how to love their enemies in very practical ways: * "If you come across your enemy's ox or donkey wandering off, be sure to take it back to him." (Exodus 23:4) * "If you see the donkey of one who hates you lying helpless under its load, you shall refrain from leaving it to him, you shall surely release it with him." (Exodus 23:5) * "If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat; if he is thirsty, give him water to drink." (Proverbs 25: 21) God calls us to actively assist those we consider our "enemies" when they find themselves in need or difficulty. Why? God knows. Perhaps it is because, like the servants who respond at the 11th hour, only God knows which "enemy," in God's time, God will call a friend. This is what the love of God looks like. This is the love with which we are charged. Thank you for this portrait of one who cares to love as God asks us to love.

audrey ruth

February 23, 2013  11:20am

Pilgrim, do you not know that the Lord used that very word "saved" in the OT? For example, see Isaiah 45:22, “Look unto me, and BE YE SAVED, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.” [my emphasis] Christ Jesus came to earth from heaven for this very reason, to reveal the love and good will of the Father, and overcome sin and death on the Cross on our behalf, that ALL (Jews and Gentiles) might be saved from sin, saved from Hell, saved from destruction. "He is not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance."

Tim Childs

February 23, 2013  9:48am

This is a very good article. Oh yes, it's easy to say we forgive, but how many people really do, even so-called Christians like myself? Also, if you live in a rundown area where lots of poor and marginalised people live, it's far harder to forgive when you have a problem with someone or they have done something to you; you can get walked over. It's easy for those living in nice Middle class neighbourhoods to be smug about living the Gospel when often your faith isn't challenged by the harsh realities some have to live in. It seems that in America, people have to be pro-active about their faith or their core ideologies or beliefs, or somehow they'll get sidelined; that can be a problem. In Britain, most places tend to have people who are much more likely to live and let live; if this person believes one thing, then fine; as long as he respects me I will respect him. Respect is like love; we don't have to agree with another person's completely different faith but we can respect them.

Jim Ricker

February 22, 2013  8:25pm

Pilgrim Progress, continued, John 16: Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and xtake up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?" Jesus never called people to radical change or to be saved? Why yes, yes He did. Please find a good teacher to study with my friend so that you too may be able to know the truth and the truth will set you free.

Jim Ricker

February 22, 2013  8:22pm

Pilgrim Progress, You should really take the time to learn the truth before popping off falsehoods. A good place to start would be the article itself written by Windmeyer. Cathy reached out to Shane. If you cannot be trusted to know that when it is clearly stated by Shane himself, why should people trust your opinion on anything else? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shane-l-windmeyer/dan-cathy-chick-fi l-a_b_2564379.html "On Aug. 10, 2012, in the heat of the controversy, I got a surprise call from Dan Cathy. He had gotten my cell phone number from a mutual business contact serving campus groups. I took the call with great caution. He was going to tear me apart, right? Give me a piece of his mind? Turn his lawyers on me?" Jesus didn't call people to radical change in order to be saved (two big mistakes on your part)?? John 3: “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him" continued

Pilgrim Progress

February 22, 2013  7:27pm

There is a lot of speculation about "what would Jesus say/do" in this or any other situation. One of the contributors, incredibly, states that Jesus would encourage those around him to "be saved." Interesting that an observant Jew would be recommending a remedy that did not exist in thought or deed until Christan Fundamentalists invented "Saved" in the 19th Century. Jesus did not encourage anyone to make any major changes to be counted as a believer, nor did he beat them over the head with "the Law." In fact, he had much to say about the Law being irrelevant, abusive and simply obsolute. He was not here to convert, only to influence. Remember please, that there was no "Christianity" until Paul formulated it, and even then, with much disagreement with the other Gospel writers. We must be careful that we do not "convert" Jesus into a Tele-Evangelist, nor make him into an angry, fearful homophobe. Since gay people tell us that that is their nature, we must accept it.

Pilgrim Progress

February 22, 2013  7:11pm

Some facts overlooked in the article; Not only did Mr. Cathy condemn Equality Marriage, he piled on many statements (past and present) expressing his belief that LGBT People (aside from his belief about marriage issues) are Bad People and Bad Citizens. He compared them to animals, in very abusive terms. Morover, his friend Mr. Windmeyer approached HIM, to challenge his statements and beliefs. The gay man reached out to him. Let us remember that marriage, not only in the United States but in the vast majority of nations, is a CIVIL function of the law. Churches do NOT issue marriage licenses, governments do. Clergy may officiate, but it is never a requirement. The only nation in the Western World that requires marriage approval by Clergy is Israel, which, sadly, points out that Israel is a Theocracy, not a Democarcy. One's Christian Faith, whatever flavor that my be, does not require "approval" to be civil, nor does it require slander about gay people.

Karen Smith

February 22, 2013  2:06pm

I would also like to note that (unless I'm mistaken, which is very possible) I'm pretty sure that marriages between children that are valid in one state are held valid in all states, even the ones that ban children from marrying, under the Full Faith and Credit Clause. In fact, ALL such marriages are held valid - that's why you can be charged with bigamy for marrying someone in two different states. Except LGBT marriages. Those are (by DOMA) held to only be valid in the state they started in (there's even question if they can be held valid in states that do have marriage equality, unless the states have specifically negotiated to recognize each other's marriages!)

Karen Smith

February 22, 2013  2:00pm

Christine, Polygamy is banned for more than religious reasons - there are issues with division of property, tax benefit distribution, and hundred of things that would need to be reworked. Child marriage isn't acceptable (for certain definitions of child: girls of 13 in at least one state can marry, and several states allow marriage at 14) because it's just plain wrong - children are too immature to provide informed consent, and informed consent is the part of all healthy relationships. As for his view of marriage being shared by many faiths - that's true. On the other hand, there are many faiths and faith groups - mine included (United Church of Christ) - that do accept gay marriage. We live in a nation that celebrates the separation of church and state; "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" - by restricting my legal rights by establishing controls based on religion, they are prohibiting my exercise of mine.

Christine Guthrie

February 22, 2013  12:44pm

Karen, Your comparison of Cathy's political view that legal recognition should only apply to marriages between one man and one woman and Sharia law is inaccurate. Sharia law is unique to Islam, but his view of marriage is held by a variety of faiths. We also put other legal restrictions on marriage that are probably more "faith based" than the one man/one woman stipulation. For instance, polygamy is not recognized and child marriage outlawed. Both are much more accepted in the wider world than legal recognition of homosexual unions.

Tim Fall

February 21, 2013  10:28pm

Fair enough, Karen Smith. I totally see the connection you draw and can't argue with it at all. Cheers, Tim (timfall.wordpress.com)

Karen Smith

February 21, 2013  7:16pm

Tim Fall, While I get what you're saying I must disagree. A political position is one that applies to politics and the government, a faith position is one that applies to one's church and religion. Cathy holds both: His faith position is that homosexuality is wrong and should not be accepted. His political position is that his faith positions must hold legal sway. The faith position I'm fine with; I don't want to worship at his church, nor would I expect to be able to be married in it. What I'm not fine with is that he is taking his church and putting it into my government - and through that government, into my church. If he were Muslim and this were about something Christians and (his group of) Muslims disagreed on, like women driving, people would (rightly) be screaming about Sharia Law being imposed in America. I hope you'll understand that I don't see a (legal) difference between banning one group of people from doing one activity that is legally sanctioned and another.

chris hawk

February 21, 2013  7:04pm

"A Radically Different Way: Challenging the Religious Conventions That Have Become Crippling Strongholds in the Church in America": http://aradicallydifferentway.blogspot.com/

Tim Fall

February 21, 2013  3:19pm

George S, I don't think it's a political position but rather a faith position. Of course, some people might not get the distinction but to many of us there is truly a difference. Blessings, Tim ( http://timfall.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/lesbian-and-gay-relationships )

george S

February 21, 2013  1:18pm

seems all pretty good, but it's a shame Cathey did not change his political position after getting to know this fellow. Instead he stuck to a rigid hurtful position for no good reason. In view of the above I won't support boycott efforts, not that it matters much as there's not a Chick-fil-a close by. But I will again if they continue to support hate groups like Focus on the Family and such.

Vic Christian

February 21, 2013  11:41am

Thank you for the article and most of the comments. I do try to be positive and love those of all beliefs and manner of sin. I guess the only time I might get a bit defensive is when some of those that engage in these sins utter profanities, take us to court, or try to inflluence the children of those that call those activities sin. OK - what would Jesus have done? I really do not know.

Karen Smith

February 20, 2013  4:42pm

One other note: This calls to mind the story of the Good Samaritan. Oh, neither person here needed help as described in the story - instead, it's about a person from the dominant group (Israelites/Cathy) approaching a person from the smaller, more generally hated group (Samaritans/Windmeyer) and opens a dialogue that concentrates on humanizing both sides.

LESLIE FIELDS

February 20, 2013  3:34pm

Well done, Dorothy! Inspiring. Love that Cathy did this. We can all say this to those who disagree, even despise us for our faith: "Tell me more about you, your family, the things you care most about . .." No more swords. Ploughs.

R ray

February 20, 2013  3:32pm

Great article. I'm reminded of an old David Wilcox song, Fearless Love, from back when AIDS was newly discovered. Always brings me to tears: "At your church they asked for volunteers To make a presence in the park That's where the wicked planned to demonstrate And carry signs to set a spark Someone behind you heaved a stone That struck the thin man behind his ear So now there's blood upon his sign Which read, "There's nothing here to fear" ... Though his blood contains his death And though the lines are drawn in hate You drop your sign of Bible verse And help the wounded stand up straight Oh yes, the high religious still will scorn Just like they did all that time back They'll say, you helped the other side They saw you haul that soldier's pack But now how could you carry that man's sign? In your heart the choice was clear You didn't join the other side The battle lines just disappeared When fearless love, fearless love Fearless love, makes you cross the border"

Karen Smith

February 20, 2013  3:25pm

I consider nobody an "enemy". Opponent, maybe. Enemy? Never. And on another note - has anyone ever wondered why I stick around posting here? While I understand that my viewpoint is extremely foreign to many (or even most) of the people that post here, I still feel compelled to discuss it in an attempt to allow those I consider opponents the chance to be graced by understanding. -Just Karen

Larry Showalter

February 20, 2013  3:10pm

Another heart-checking challenge from our Lord, to love our enemies. What a wonderful example from one of his followers. Okay, I"m squirming... Thanks for letting us know about Mr. Cathy's actions.

Tim Fall

February 20, 2013  3:03pm

I try to take the path Cathy demonstrates so well, because I think it honors our Savior: http://timfall.wordpress.com/2012/10/29/lesbian-and-gay-relationships . God's been good to me, even when I was still apart from him, so why shouldn't I try to reach out to others in his name? Thanks for helping me think through these things today, Dorothy. Cheers, Tim

Marilyn Bryan

February 20, 2013  2:41pm

A lesson we should all emulate.

Sheila Lagrand

February 20, 2013  1:00pm

Goodness. It never occurred to me to consider a sinner (of any variety) my "enemy." I'd have to be my own enemy!

James Aist

February 20, 2013  11:12am

This is an excellent article, and one worth taking to heart. It is about, I believe, what Jesus would do. Jesus would befriend homosexual people (cf. Matthew 9:10; Luke 7:34) and treat them with kindness and respect, without approving of their homosexual behavior; Jesus came preaching repentance from sin, not acceptance of sin (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15; Luke 5:32). Jesus did not come to save us in our sins, but to save us from our sins. Jesus would further demonstrate His love for homosexual people by encouraging them to believe in Him and be saved (John 3:16), and to repent of (turn away from) their homosexual sins. Furthermore, He would change them “in the name (literally, the power and authority) of the Lord Jesus Christ”, just as His Corinthian disciples did (I Corinthians 6:11). This is the kind of love Jesus has for both homosexual and heterosexual people alike. Read more at http://rethinkingtheology.com/2012/07/04/homosexuality-what-would-jesus-do/

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

Forgiving My Pastor, Mark Driscoll

As God rebuilds, I see Mars Hill shift its focus to love.

What We're Reading