Jump directly to the content

audrey ruth

March 05, 2013  10:06am

As long as one man (or woman) loves to lord it over another one (as Christ Jesus expressly forbade His disciples to do), there will be cliques, there will be bullies, there will be those who exclude others from their "inner circle". I actually attended a church where the pastor and his wife freely acknowledged the fact that they had an inner circle, and that those who were "without" should work hard to work their way in. WOW. Sadly, I don't know that anyone (especially the elders of the church) ever challenged them on this flagrant contradiction of God's Word. If they had, I suppose they would then have been excluded from that inner circle. God help us.

Deb Tomsky

March 04, 2013  8:39am

Loved Breakfast Club when it first came out ~ and so did my kids when they were teens (they're mostly in their 20's now) ~ so it still rings true! I noticed the popular teen/tween show "Victorious" recently did a homage to BC ~ so this next generation is also be blessed with the comfort of knowing that everyone else is really just as insecure as they are :)

Yohanna Puric

March 01, 2013  5:10pm

Great article! High school was the happiest stage in my life though - carefree, innocent, idealistic, full of adventures, and lots of fun. I was part of a group of five girls interested in reading Mills and Boon, Barbara Cartland, etc. adored Jacky Chan, Muhammad Ali, the Bee Gees, ABBA, country music, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch, The Six Million Dollar Man, Little House on the Prairie, etc. but also interested in country hikes, the Citizens' Army Training and it seems to me now in anything and everything that we were studying. We explored the city we lived in, talked about meeting that 'tall, dark, compelling man'. We wanted to be private detectives, astronauts, in the army. We were mad about basketball and hated school socials. We loved and feared some teachers and sneered at others. I sometimes wish I could have stayed in high school much much longer. Unfortunately, one has to go to college and be an adult.

John pierce

February 28, 2013  10:24am

Several years back, there was a TV series called BIRDS OF PREY, in which one line of dialogue from one episode has always stood out in my memory: "Remember, high school is the closest thing our society has to institutionalized torture." I've spent nearly 47 years in high school -- four as a student, 38 as a public school teacher, and now almost five as a Christian school substitute teacher (not to mention a few weeks teaching a home-school class). I can agree with the line of dialogue. But I should also state that I think that high school can be one of the most exciting places to be, in spite of all the dangers and problems. I hope that, over the course of my career, I've helped at least a few people navigate their way through those sometimes-treacherous waters. None of this, of course, addresses the article's main topic, which was good, but I wanted to share this, anyway.

Doug Knox

February 28, 2013  9:17am

Well said, Michelle. You struck a live nerve and revealed a deep truth. A few months ago, for example, my wife tried to introduce me to the Seinfeld series, but I finally had to ask her to excuse me from the DVDā€™s. Why? Because they dredged up memories of my high school angst...more than forty years ago. Watching them was more painful than funny. Your conclusion, ā€œ[I]t is not a full portrait of redemption if it divides us from our own humanity rather than redeeming it,ā€ is spot on. Would that more Christian ministers recognized the truth that the proof of redemption lies in progress in real time rather than isolation in our dualistic corner while we eat our tuna sandwiches.

Tim Fall

February 27, 2013  11:46am

"A new creation in Christ will count it all joy, and eat her tuna sandwich alone at her desk, humming 'Just A Closer Walk With Thee.'" My word, but that was funny Michelle. You had me chuckling at my desk. Good thing I wasn't eating my tuna sandwich or I might have choked! On church cliques, we've seen the effect they can have on our own family. For one group, we observed from the outside how the group's dynamics weren't all that healthy. In speaking with a member about it (someone who asked why we weren't joining in with them for things), she listened but said didn't see it the same way. Then a couple years later she no longer hung out as much with the same people. That's when she told us that she started seeing the same thing we'd observed. Yep, a lot like those HS dynamics. Cheers, Tim ( timfall.wordpress.com ) P.S. I saw The Breakfast Club in the theatre when it first came out. Loved it!

Gina Dalfonzo

February 27, 2013  8:35am

This is so true! Well said, Michelle!

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

Good Sex Comes to Those Who Wait?

Hook-up sex v. married sex: A warning about incentivizing abstinence with personal pleasure.

What We're Reading