Jump directly to the content

Cicely Duke

March 06, 2013  12:54am

@ Jack Ratekin - Compare the percentage of fatherless boys in Canada vs. the U.S. and you may be on to the correct conclusion regarding the cause of criminality.

Jim Ricker

March 01, 2013  7:56pm

Over 50% of those who caused auto accidents in the Western world play race car games. Conclusions?... Correlation is a far cry from causation.

Heather Munn

March 01, 2013  6:04pm

No kidding, K. Smith! Apparently correlation is causation? Also, good article.

K. Smith

March 01, 2013  3:55pm

Jack Ratekin - I think we need a lot more facts before we can link Christianity with the level of violence in the US.

Julia W.

March 01, 2013  11:56am

This article made me laugh out loud--really great. I completely understand the anxiety the author discusses. Really good read!

Tim Fall

February 28, 2013  1:07pm

"... to issue the necessary syllable from the rocking-chair of calm." That is a worthy goal, Rhoda, and one that truly does open ourselves up to saying yes to God. It's a skill Jesus demonstrated as well (Mark 1:35-39), so developing it seems to me to be part of conforming to the likeness of Christ. Cheers, Tim ( timfall.wordpress.com )

Andrea Giesbrecht

February 28, 2013  1:01pm

Yeah, this is familiar! You know what's helped me? Knowing that if someone is upset by my answer, that it's not my problem. It isn't! Yes, I can be sad that they're upset, but if my "no" is reasonable (99% of the time, saying "no" *is* reasonable!), how they react to that "no" is their problem, their issue, their fault, not mine! It is not up to me to save the world. It is not up to me to do everything. That's God's business, not mine. If He tells me to do something, then I should do it. If it isn't Him telling me, then I have every right to say "no". I do not bear responsibility for anybody else's happiness or wellbeing. I can help, yes - but should I help? Depends. (BTW, I read your book. I'm Mennonite myself, by culture, so of course I had to pick it up! It gave me plenty to think about.)

Jack Ratekin

February 28, 2013  11:38am

Here's an interesting fact: Canada is the 4th most peaceful country in the world, While the U.S. ranks in the bottom half. The United States has almost twice as many Christian churches per capita as Canada. Conclusions?.....

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

The Truth About Living with an Invisible Illness

God sees me and my pain even when others cannot.

Twitter

• 201cJust pray, y2019all.201d https://t.co/f3KoXnxGuD
  • RT @dorcas_ct: "If there2019s anything I've learned in Kenya, it2019s that only those who are privileged think we can control our lives." https:/2026
  • RT @sometimesalight: PSA: The cultural crises of the working class is a call to mission, not judgment.
  • The wandering pilgrims of Scripture have taught me something surprising about the floods in my homeland https://t.co/f3KoXnxGuD
  • RT @SIMCANADA1: Challenges present opportunities for us to grow in faith as we realize that God is faithful still. https://t.co/sj5Rbf0POj

What We're Reading