Jump directly to the content

audrey ruth

September 24, 2013  5:27am

Kay, that is indeed the point. Everybody who has carried on about this show to me, telling me I 'must' watch it, said this because they said they were excited about a 'Christian reality show' being on TV. This was their exact point. And this is why I was disappointed in the show. I honestly think it would be better if the prayer at the end weren't tacked on, if they were just portrayed as 'regular Americans' on a 'family' oriented show - although some of the things they do and say are not acceptable to me for children to watch.

audrey ruth

September 24, 2013  5:23am

Don, what brought that last comment on? Good grief, I haven't championed anything like that at all. If you think so, you read a whole lot into my comment(s) that I not only didn't say, but didn't even think. You mentioned Lafayette, LA - a close friend was transferred there a few years ago, and I have visited her there and attended her church. I found the area and people to be very friendly, although I cannot stomach Cajun food (she can't either). The people I met there are not fans of the Duck Dynasty show. They think it's silly. It seems that almost every 'reality' show on TV is better than the Kardashians; they've become a byword to which everybody, even non-Christians, compare TV shows to say they're 'better'. So that's a given. Nothing new there.

Don Iarussi

September 22, 2013  1:50pm

Hey Audrey... I do not get the fascination with liberals. They are perverse, support stripping rights from the unborn. They live lives that are dirty, lies, meaningless, support absurd causes.

Don Iarussi

September 22, 2013  1:48pm

I would call it a Family Show, Definitely not the Kardashians. Funny how liberals spew hate toward anything that shows family values. They are so open minded and accepting. I stayed 2 weeks in Abbeville and also in Lafayette, LA a while back. I found the people very friendly . My wife and 6 year old love the show. Scripted? lol I think all shows are led in a direction. But scripted? I doubt they would do anything that opposes their Christain Values!

Kay Buendel

September 20, 2013  1:28pm

That is the point, it is not a "Christian" show. It is a reality show based on their lives, not on their "Christianity". It is everyone else making a big deal out of that part of it. As I said, they don't hide their faith, but they are not on the reality show because they are Christian. If they are asked about their faith, they talk about it, if they are invited by a church or other organization to speak about their faith they do. But they are not the ones that said "we are Christians and that is what our show is about, so watch". It is others that have made that a huge agenda. As I said earlier, it is a show to watch for fun, and as with any show, some people like it, some don't.

audrey ruth

September 19, 2013  7:51pm

Kay, I deliberately watched this show last night because of all the positive posts here (something that admittedly was not easy for me to do.) I did watch it with an open mind, thinking that maybe I had caught them on an 'off' night or something. In fact, I sat through two episodes. Having done so, this is my honest opinion: They are okay, not great, not terrible. When a relative (friend?) was talking about going out on a date with someone he'd never dated before, he got LOTS of advice, but it was the very same advice I would expect to hear from unbelievers - just generic stuff from normal ("Be yourself") to ridiculous (from most of the men). I did not hear one word that emphasized anything the Lord has taught on the topic of dating/marriage (since people presumably date to find a spouse). Both programs were more family-friendly than some other programs, not all. Again, the prayer at the end didn't make up for the rest, didn't make the program more "Christian" than some others.

Kay Buendel

September 19, 2013  11:47am

It amazes me that people get so worked up about this show. It seems to me that it is a fun loving Christian family that has faults as we all do and happened to become rich and famous. I'm sure it is not only Christians that watch the show and if there are Christians putting them on a "pedestal" then those Christians have issues that are not about the show. Just because the Duck Dynasty family is open about their Christian faith does not mean they are perfect nor do they claim to be. I do not keep quiet about my faith but I am definitely a sinner. If I'm not mistaken we all are which is why Christ died for us. Although I enjoy the show, I do not see it as a evangelistic Come to Jesus show, just a fun show that makes me "happy, happy, happy"!

audrey ruth

September 17, 2013  10:58am

I don't get the fascination with rednecks in general, and IMHO they are very over-represented on TV. It seems like most people like to make fun of them and mock them. I tried to watch this because I heard so much about it, but I did not find it to be laugh-out-loud funny or even always family-friendly (I did hear some bad language.) To me, a prayer at the end did not redeem the show.

Pam Ferrill

September 16, 2013  9:38am

Clearly, those of you who do not believe this family is Christian have never read anything by them or about them. Both Phil and Willie have written books about their lives, and their mottos are Faith, Family & Ducks. When A&E asked them to take the prayer out of the show, they clearly refused. A&E edits out most of the spiritual references they put in. At speaking engagements they speak more about Jesus than their "show". They are pastors and elders of their church. They have all struggled, but is their faith that has brought them through. Yes the show can be goofy, but that's why it is funny, and I imagine if they really skipped work to go fishing every day they would not be "millionaires", but give me this family to watch anytime over most of the junk that is on TV. Do I idolize them? I hope not. Would I love to meet this family? Yes. And if they can use any opportunity they get from their show to spread the Gospel, more power to them!!

CHARLES D HIX

September 14, 2013  9:35am

I haven't watched the show. It is just not the kind of thing I'd be interested in, so I cannot speak to specifics. I just think we always have to be careful of putting any celebrity on a pedestal. The last decades have shown us that those pedestals are not very stable.

Rick Middleton

September 13, 2013  3:30pm

The show certainly isn't Hamlet, but it also isn't hurting anyone, so I disagree with Jill Billington's POV. The family members are funny, and the show is one of the few in the reality genre that doesn't reach for the lowest common denominator. The situations, though, are as phony as a three-dollar bill. If the cameras weren't rolling I doubt they would stop working and have go-kart races, for example.

Raul Ysquierdo

September 12, 2013  6:59pm

Great Show!! I'm a believer! Id like to talk up all the virtues and let everybody know that this is quality programming. I think my IQ jumped up a few points since I last saw the show!!....And Hey! That's a fact Jack!!

Jill Billington

September 12, 2013  7:58am

I too wonder why Christians are jumping on this bandwagon. While it's true that the show is "clean", how exactly do they represent Jesus? Are they doing something on this earth to bring restoration and redemption? Do they give their big money away? What I see is laziness (most of the time the guys who are supposed to be working are just sitting around or looking for ways to goof off during work hours), silly arguments between the brothers, rudeness, etc. And I hate it when people say to me, "They are Christians. They pray at the end of every show!" Really? Is that Christianity? I think NOT! I sure don't mind if people watch the show. I just don't want to hear believers talk up all the virtues and try to convince each other that it's quality programming. I've watched a few episodes with my family and I feel that I'm losing brain cells with every minute that goes by.

audrey ruth

September 11, 2013  2:23am

Sharon, do you actually know this clan? If not, then what you've written about them is not derived from actual first-hand knowledge, right? I don't get the fascination with this show. I tried to watch it because I heard so much about it, but I did not find it to be laugh-out-loud funny or even always family-friendly (I did hear some bad language.) To me, a prayer at the end did not redeem the show. I had a relative like Phil: He attended church regularly, constantly praised his wife's character, gentleness, mothering, and the loveliness of her full figure. The main difference between him and Phil is that he wasn't exactly sober - he did give up the marijuana (or at least said he did), but didn't give up the beer. When he died, his preacher said all sorts of great things about him, most of which were not true. They were based on the image he projected at church. Things and people are not always what they may seem.

c r

September 09, 2013  1:58pm

When I've watched the show I've noticed a definite materialistic attitude at times with the wives of the sons, whether they are going on exotic trips to Hawaii or shopping for expensive jewelry. These people are making a fortune off of Christians who watch their show and buy their merchandise. I am already tired of seeing all of the DD memorabilia flooding stores like Wal Mart. I don't blame them for trying to take advantage of their 30 minutes of fame, but please everyone, back off on putting these peoples' lives on a pedestal as "Christian" examples, just because they talk about God, morals, and they pray. 1 John 2:15-17

Sharon Miller

September 06, 2013  6:10pm

Grady, you might be surprised to learn that I was born and raised in North Carolina. I only moved to the Chicago area 3 years ago, so I've known quite a few rednecks in my day! Also, I've got a few female family members who can kill and dress a deer with the best of them! :)

Grady Walton

September 05, 2013  1:04pm

My family and I fell in love with Duck Dynasty when it first came out. The Robertson’s were an atypical extended Christian family that showed people how to have a great time without debauchery. Yes, innocent playfulness mixed with cool personal style (I love the wild beards and long hair on the Robertson men) can be a source of great humor. They demonstrate that the Christian way of life does not, and should not, be dull and boring. They celebrate humor. However, I took some exception to the author’s assertion about Phil’s “obtuse generalizations about women,” but I see that Ms. Miller lives in Chicago, so she can be forgiven her lack of understanding regarding “redneck” culture. As a hunter and angler, I can say without hesitation that the vast majority of citified women do not like to hunt and fish. (There are exceptions). Does that statement make me a purveyor of stereotypes, or a speaker of truth? Fortunately, Phil can say such things with a twinkle in his eye and make us chuckle.

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

What Does It Mean to Be Black-ish?

How “exceptional” African Americans still bolster our stereotypes.

What We're Reading