Jump directly to the content

December 03, 2013  11:40pm

Andy Doerksen

November 23, 2013  12:37pm

@mick f: Brother, I partially understand your frustration. There are many cases where Christians attempt to spiritually justify their entertainment habits. However, this isn't one of those cases; you're reacting out of ignorance and lack of discernment. Is that what you want to teach your children? 'The Hunger Games' trilogy fictionalizes Western society's decline into increasing socialism, decreasing freedom, and a full-blow culture of death. The political themes in THG are worth considering. On a character level, there are character traits and experiences that are reminiscent of Christ and/or the Christian life. Neither these novels, nor the films adapted from them, treat child sacrifice as "okay." Your assertion to the contrary reveals your absolute ignorance of these stories. If you were truly discerning, you would rejoice at the sprinkling of God's common grace upon humanity, such that genuine morals and truths appear in novels and movies (as per Rom. 2:14-15).

Liz T

November 22, 2013  3:09am

Mick F, Although I understand where you are coming from in terms of criticizing Christianity Today for writing this article, it seems like you don't really know what The Hunger Games is about. Children are depicted killing each other, yes, but the story does not condone child sacrifice. The story warns us of a future version of the United States where people have become so obsessed with entertainment that they are okay with seeing children kill each other in order to get the emotional stimulation. No one sees or reads The Hunger Games and thinks, "Yeah, children killing each other is a really great idea!" I can understand your parenting choice to not let your daughter read it because of the dark nature (I don't know how old your daughter is). However, you should educate yourself about the actual plot before you say what you think it's about.

mick f

November 21, 2013  7:41pm

Please stop trying to "Christianize" secular books and movies. The Hunger Games is not biblical, and it is not Christian. You are attempting, for whatever reason, to put something there that isn't. Personally, as Christian parents, we don't allow our daughter to read or see a story about children being killed by each other, and this kind of "entertainment" isn't welcome in our home. Hollywood might think child sacrifice is okay, but God doesn't, and nor should something that calls itself "Christianity Today". Hunger Game fans may say I'm over-reacting, I'm used to it, but I don't obey man's opinion. "The sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?" 1 Cor 10:20-22 Eph 5:8-13 Phil 4:8 2 Cor 6:14-18

Liz T

November 20, 2013  3:15pm

Audrey Ruth, Gotcha. I guess it would be harder to understand Laura's point if you haven't read or watched the series

Jane Wells

November 20, 2013  2:51pm

Audrey Ruth, The Hunger Games trilogy is unique in that there is no "theology" in it at all. The story is told without a single mention of faith, religion or God of any sort. Yet, throughout, there are echoes and archetypes of Christian stories and heroes. Laura has already pointed out how much Peeta is like Christ. In my new book, Bird on Fire, I describe how Katniss is a dystopian Esther. What do you do when you are called to compete for a prize you may not want? And what do you do when you win? Katniss finds that she is in her place at this time for a reason. The books challenged me to not be so comfortable with my life, and maybe do something to alleviate the suffering of people around me. I'm saying, don't expect to receive a recognizable sermon when you read The Hunger Games trilogy - but try not to be surprised if God to uses them to speak to you. Jane Wells www.BirdOnFireBook.com

audrey ruth

November 20, 2013  12:48pm

Liz T, I gathered that was supposed to be the intent. But I can't tell from the article exactly what the movie says about God. That's why I asked.

Liz T

November 20, 2013  2:21am

Audrey Ruth, I think that that's what the article is about

audrey ruth

November 19, 2013  1:42am

"Theology" means "belief about God". I have not read the book or seen the movie Hunger Games, so can someone give me the Cliff's Notes version of what Hunger Games teaches about God?

Julie Watson

November 14, 2013  1:04pm

Google is paying 85$ per hour! Just work for few hours & spend more time with friends and family. Yesterday I bought a top of the range Lancia after having made $8755 this month . Its the most-financialy rewarding I've had. It sounds unbelievable but you wont forgive yourself if you don’t check it ●►●►●►●►W­W­W.B­L­U­E­4­8.C­O­M●►●►●►●►

David Porter

November 14, 2013  12:55am

I can identify with the author that at some point there are books which speak to us powerfully. (I've got a bit more problems with the theology of Jesus being Peeta and snuggling into his arms, simply because I'm a man and that doesn't appeal to me :) ) I found The Hunger Games Triology excellent. I felt the first two were classics but I was really let down by the third one. Though the books turned out the way I had hoped, the message that seemed to be communicated was, "It doesn't matter what you do, at the end the result is the same. You just change players in the top positions." Reading the evaluations of the book on Amazon, it seemed that most readers loved it and several readers were frustrated with the ending. David Porter www.davidscoffeestains.com

Ikenna Okafor

November 13, 2013  9:04pm

Thank you Laura for tearing the box!

Nick Sullivan

November 13, 2013  7:45pm

Yeah, hunger games are my favorite book series ever, they were awesome. But if Christians today are worried about the theology of the hunger games, I think we have a problem. The themes in the bible and the themes in the hunger games do not line up, though yes, in both books the world is messed up. Maybe Laura meant nothing wrong by writing this, but honestly its a real stretch to try to form theology from the hunger games or to make it relatable.

CHANY OCKERT

November 13, 2013  5:33pm

Thank you! I enjoyed this article.

ALFRED J Lindh

November 13, 2013  10:33am

Laura Snider puts the story into the wider context of her own Christian worldview, as indeed she should. On the other hand, the story of The Hunger Games does not do that for itself or for the reader. If anything, The Hunger Games reflects a culture of theological emptiness. It is therefore not a good story -- unless read together with Laura's placing the empty story of self-reliant heroes within her own context of understanding her dependence on God's compassion for our suffering.

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

The One Thing to Tell Pregnant Moms: ‘Congratulations’

No family too big, no mom too young to hear our affirmation of life.

What We're Reading