Jump directly to the content

Dessie T

March 10, 2014  9:54pm

Goodness, there's a lot of "I'm right, you're wrong" around here. I love this article, not just because of its emphasis on grace, but also because it exposes how painful divorce can be. I would love for the church to take more of a preemptive approach than when I was growing up... and I feel that this is happening in some ways. Instead of just saying pre-marital sex and divorce are wrong (because they're both difficult topics), teach WHY. I was raised in a fundamentalist church and certainly knew pre-marital sex was a no-no, but I don't remember any talk about marriage being a covenant or the heartbreak of divorce. The majority of my friends (Christians and non-Christians) have not been divorced, but I have. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and I can see how we were both so wrong and way too young. Yes, I still long for my husband and our life at times. However, he has remarried and has two beautiful children. I certainly don't expect him to leave his family because of his "adultery."

Lynette Duquette

March 10, 2014  7:25am

Everyone is talking about divorce and remarriage and how it's unbiblical. Everyone keeps saying that if someone is abused etc they can "separate" for safety etc. Can someone show me where it says THAT? I don't see it anywhere in the bible. So why we all talk about what is unbiblical...we are adding our own caveats. I don't think divorce is unbiblical in certain circumstances. I have found in my years in churhc, and dealing with abusive churches, pastors and spouses, no divorce is code for 'I can do whatever I want and you have to stay married to me!' That right there is nothing but a huge control issue.

Barbara Roberts

March 09, 2014  1:20am

I'm thrilled that CT has published this article. One point I'd like to add. If you look at Malachi 2:16 in the ESV, the HCSB, or the 2011 NIV you will see that it does not mean God hates divorce; rather it means that the man who hates and divorces covers his garment with violence. So a man who divorces out of sheer hatred and aversion for his wife is condemned by God; this man bears guilt for his act of treachery to the woman who he is casting off without valid reason. The saying "covers his garment with violence" is an idiom rather like our idiom "he has blood on his hands". It refers in this case to the guilt of the treacherous husband. That is what the passage in Malachi 2 is condemning. Tragically, the earlier (mis-)translations of Malachi 2:16 have given rise to the notion that God Hates Divorce — all divorce, no matter what. But how wrong this is! What an unjust picture it gives of God. God doesn't hate all divorce, only treacherous divorce.

Living Liminal

March 08, 2014  7:06pm

Thank you for your considered and compassionate article. It's a pity that same tone is missing from some of the comments. I don't believe that using the Bible to beat up our brothers and sisters would get much support from Christ!

Dan from Georgia

March 07, 2014  3:55pm

Thanks Leah Sp and Janet for the good words and standing up for the Truth. I will have to check out the Instone-Brewer book! I know John Piper has written some good stuff (not all of which I agree with BTW) on these issues too.

lastblast Seven

March 07, 2014  2:45pm

One more thing I find odd is this: today's churches are FAR MORE permissive on the divorce/remarriage front than not, so this article is pretty baseless. VERY FEW Churches out there adhere to the biblical standard (Jesus' words) of marriage, so there is NOT a widespread "problem" of persecution against divorced. Most Pastors have aligned themselves with the WORLD'S ways (if things don't work out then we chuck our spouses to the side and get a new one). The principle of LOVE (I Cor.13) seems to apply to everyone BUT a sinful spouse! Since any of us (pro remarriage or anti remarriage) can easily see divorce/remarriage is ACCEPTED and PRACTICED by MANY professing Christians, I think articles like this one are, in truth, trying to silence people (the minority now) who stand firm in Christ's definition of marriage and His definition of adultery (or any sexual sin for that matter). That is why so few people will even discuss Jesus' words and what they REALLY mean in life application.

lastblast Seven

March 07, 2014  2:22pm

Leah, some of us who have commented do not believe ANYTHING dissolves the One Flesh Union of a first marriage, where both parties have never been married before. They are joined until death. That is what the scriptures teach. That is why it is ADULTERY to join wtih another after a divorce. Jesus does not recognize a divorce as dissolving the union HE CREATED. In regards to "judging", the Church IS called to judge the CHURCH. First, we are called to judge ourselves so we are not judged. If we do not judge ourselves, we WILL be judged by those "within" (ICor 5). It is because individuals have not judged themselves and the Church has not judged within, that adultery is a HUGE problem in the professing Church today. In regards to horrific sins against a spouse or child, The Lord has given provision for that-----depart and remained unmarried(single) OR be reconciled with one's spouse (I Cor. 7:10-11). He did not give provision to commit adultery, by taking another spouse.

Leah Sp

March 07, 2014  1:01am

Just one other point, as the author relates near the end of the article, it is raising up good spouses who are willing to submit to each other and keep covenant that prevents divorce. All the ranting and raving and shaming coming from the church has done nothing but cause nonbelievers to view Christians as insensitive, judgemental, and lacking in love. Imagine telling abused spouses to tolerate beatings, vicious or controlling behavior, even child molesters. Ridiculous. And truly, if you tell a person (a Christian) that there is no way there spouse is allowed to divorce them, well that pretty much gives anyone willing to take advantage a terrible weapon. Much more sensible to teach young Christians that if they break covenant, there can be consequences. And I believe this is biblical. Again, thank goodness some in the Church are beginning to see sense.

Leah Sp

March 07, 2014  12:54am

After reading the comments, something occurred to me. For all those who wish to judge anyone who has been divorced, how would you possibly be able to determine who broke the marriage covenant, looking at the marriage from the outside? Barring the obvious adultery, abandonment, etc., only the two people in the marriage know who has truly and willfully broken covenant. No pastor, deacon, or other authority and certainly not friends and acquaintances in the church, could ever be able to see the complete truth. Only God, who sees whats on the inside is capable of this. I therefore see no reason for anyone to be throwing any stones. If you have been the innocent party, its no use expecting your errant spouse to be disciplined. If you are a spouse who is judged because you left a marriage, you must make your peace with God, and God alone, and be content. BTW, I have read Instone-Brewer, and it was a breath of fresh air to read some common sense.

lastblast Seven

March 06, 2014  10:05pm

Janet, we can go throughout even the OT and find where God does INDEED view the returning of an adulteress woman to her husband a GOOD thing----even AFTER she has married another man. Perfect exampes: David took his covenant wife (Michal) away from her 2nd HUSBAND, Paltiel. Gomer, after leaving Hosea and committing adultery says she will return to her FIRST husband. In the case of Herod/Herodias, John the Baptist made it quite clear that despite Herod and Herodias' divorces of their original spouses and their new "marriage", Herodias STILL belonged to Philip. We see this same thing shown throughout the NT when a man marries a divorced woman. He is not validly joined to her, he is committing adultery with another man's wife, says Jesus (and Paul in Rom 7:2-3). A "remarriage" is no different than extramarital adultery. God does not join as One Flesh in marriage either instances. Both are sinful. Both should be forsaken because one or both parties are already joined to others.

Janet Walker

March 05, 2014  9:59am

Lynn, the "shameful nakedness" has been interpreted by the Jewish community historically either as adultery or any shamefulness. I think we can trust the jewish historic interpretation over any modern one. This would disallow a man to marry his wife for a 2nd time if she had been remarried in the interim. This is the standard Jewish interpretation.

Jean Harris

March 05, 2014  8:17am

Thank you, Lea.

Lynn Jordan

March 04, 2014  7:20pm

Janet Walker: In Deut. 24:1-4, the former husband cannot take back his wife because of a command of ERWAT. “ERWAT DABAR” is only found in Deut. 24:1 & Deut.23:14, which means uncovering nakedness of relatives. The woman was unclean to her first husband because the relationship was contrary to a commandment of God (incestual), and that when it was discovered, putting her away was the right thing to do for it would be an abomination to have sexual relations with a kin. You can't read the Bible at face value. You have to study the meaning, the language, the culture etc to get the full effect of the meaning behind the scriptures. There was also a problem with men kicking out their wives (whether it was incestual relationship or not) and then taking them back for the sole purpose of getting another bride price. The law was set up to take care of two problems at once.

Janet Walker

March 04, 2014  10:16am

Actually, Lynn, Deuteronomy 24:1-4 specifically states that the former husband Cannot take her again for his wife if a woman has been remarried to another man. This is probably why Jesus didn't tell the woman at the well to go back to her first husband.

Wit D

March 04, 2014  3:38am

Good article: we need to mourn for our unfaithfulness to our vows. However, the reality is that divorce is way to easy in these days and many churches seem to accept it as inevitable so to speak against it and uphold a high standard seem like a personal attack because most churches are filled with divorcees . and unhappy marriages. Blame is not the issue. While I believe and support churches that make a stance against divorce, I would like to also see the churches provide support for those you are hurting as a result of divorce. I also believe that we can learn from peoples mistake and that we should not discourage a divorcee from sharing.However,they should not use the church to vent of cast blame but rather use their experience as a teachable moment and as a deterrent. This will require maturity on the part of the divorcee. But at all times the church must stand against divorce and against common law marriage and other issues that will cast a negative light on the body of Chris

Lynn Jordan

March 03, 2014  1:33pm

Janet Walker, you are referring to Deut. The language used in that scripture for "uncleanness" means incest. So the scripture is referring to incestual relationships (i.e marriage btw father/daughter, brother/sister etc)

Janet Walker

March 03, 2014  10:40am

The bible clearly says that once you are divorced you should Not remarry that same person if you've married another person in the meantime. I find it interesting that Jesus did not tell the woman at the well that she should run back to her 1st husband.

Janet Walker

March 02, 2014  10:22pm

I kind of feel sorry for those who have to interact with you on a daily basis. It must be very tiresome.

lastblast Seven

March 02, 2014  1:35pm

Sorry, Dan, you can try to label me (inaccurately, I may say) so as not to deal with Jesus' and Paul's teachings, but your tactics do not do away with the Words of Jesus.The Early Christians (from the first century on), were not KJV onlyists and they DID believe and teach remarriage while one had a living first spouse was NOT a valid marriage, but adultery. My beliefs are nothing different than what the first century church taught and practiced---which I believe are perfectly aligned with the Words of Jesus. As for adultery happening within a marriage ENDING that marriage, sorry, but the New Covenant teachings and illustrations do not depict such a thing. The only thing taught in the NT which ends a marriage is DEATH (I Cor. 7:39, Rom 7:2-3). Herod/Heriodas divorced their spouses and married each other (were committing adultery). John the Baptist made it clear to Herod that Herodias belonged to Philip. Their new marriage(new vows/adultery) did not nullify her marriage to Philip.

Lynn Jordan

March 02, 2014  12:26pm

Dan, the scriptures do state that we should stay single or be reconciled. I do not advocate going back to an abusive spouse, but that person has to stay single and not have another spouse. I know that it is difficult to grasp what Jesus said about divorce and remarriage. You can respond to me out of your flesh, shout, call me names, etc but it doesn't change the fact. Eight scriptures specifically state remarriage is adultery. The exception clause is for fornication, not adultery. Do your own research. Don't rely on what one person said. Read different views, research the language and culture of the times. I found one research where the researcher claims that the exception clause was supposed to read "not even for fornication" and has posted the papers online showing proof of it being altered. Read what the early church fathers said. Do you know why the church is now fighting gay marriage? The roots started with divorce and remarriage.

Lynn Jordan

March 02, 2014  7:59am

Dan and Crabgrass, your definition of repentance means that I can break any of the 10 commandments and keep breaking them and breaking them, because God will forgive me if I ask Him to forgive me. That is not True Repentance. Only grace is given when there is True Repentance...giving up the sin and not repeating it. Giving up a marriage that God calls adulterous is True Repentance.

Lynn Jordan

March 02, 2014  7:49am

Diane Aro, what about the children of the first marriage? When someone leaves his/her covenant spouse and children and starts another marriage and family, that person brings a curse upon both families. I've seen it time and time again, not only with my family, but with others. The curse of divorce and remarriage runs rampant though both family lines. I have known people who were divorced and remarried and had a second family when they realized that their marriage was not recognized by God and that they were in adultery. They sat down with the kids and showed them what the scriptures say about divorce and remarriage. They divorced to correct the sin they were in and these couples work very hard in staying involved in the kids lives and the kids have accepted and adjusted very well.

lastblast Seven

March 02, 2014  12:10am

Crabgrass, let me add this also since you said: divorce and remarriage is not the unpardonable sin. You're right, it is not: when people REPENT. Staying in adultery is not genuine repentance. Staying in a relationship God says is adultery is no different than gays staying in marriages they entered, then say, "sorry". Sorry does not change a sinful relationship into a valid one in God's eyes. If someone has joined themselves with someone else's spouse, repentance requires giving up what does not belong to you---no matter how painful it is. It is funny, in the church, people think nothing of telling homosexuals to forsake their relationships,no matter how long they have been together, no matter if they have children together. Yet, those who enter into adultery think it is lacking in grace to expect the same thing they expect of others in repentance. Some may think living in adultery is a small thing, but Jesus and Paul both made it clear that adulterers will not inherit the kingdom

lastblast Seven

March 01, 2014  11:55pm

Dan, let me ask you a question: what do YOU do with all the standers (those who are praying for their spouses who are in ADULTERY) who are praying for the restoration of their marriages---the ones God DID join together......the marriages He does not call adultery? What verses do you give them to prove the remarried person is no longer in adultery, but now God joined THEIR spouse to the one He says they are committing adultery with? What makes the new relationship no longer adultery and now the original one is dissolved and God joins the new one? Is it desire to be with the second person........and saying you're sorry for taking someone else's spouse as your own? If it works that way with adultery, why doesn't it work that way with homosexual marriage? Both adultery and homosexuality are sinful relationships. Why? Because God takes no part in them. It matters not that man's laws have legalized immoral relationships. God has already spoken, whether we like it or not.

lastblast Seven

March 01, 2014  11:46pm

Crabgrass, I find it interesting that you see my post as hostile, since there is nothing hostile or are there any personal attacks in it. Also, interesting how you assume things about my marital situation based upon my biblical viewpoint. I merely addressed the article and it's lack of scripture to justify her position. When we speak on any biblical topic, is it not the right thing to bring forth all the applicable verses and biblical scenerios which address the topic? The New Testament speaks much on the issue of marriage/divorce/remarriage. Jesus called remarriage adultery........so did Paul. Nowhere in all the New Testament do we find where a woman is free to marry without her becoming an adulteress. As for Piper, his teachings on the topic are beyond confusing. If one was to read the entire teaching on MDR (minus his "now whats), it would be clear that he believes NOTHING dissolves the one flesh union created by God---except death, including adultery.

Diane Aro

March 01, 2014  9:29pm

So what would you have us do with the children who have been conceived in these "adulterous" second marriages once their parent repents and returns to the original marriage, Lynn Jordan? If families are suffering in our society already, how much more misery would they have to undergo to "undo" a second marriage?

Crab Grass

March 01, 2014  5:35pm

lastblast said, "NEVER did Paul ever give a provision for a woman to find another husband. He wouldn't have, as it is sin." That is an argument from silence, so it doesn't fly. You're making an assumption it is so. That is your opinion only, not a Scriptural fact.

Crab Grass

March 01, 2014  5:32pm

lastblast Seven, you are in error. Read articles and books by David Instone Brewer for a reality check. one of his articles about divorce/remarriage is available here on CT, just do a search for it. I've never been married, hence, never divorced so I've no dog in this race, and I'm amazed at the amount of hostility people such as yourself lob at divorced people. What business is it of yours what other people do with their marriages anyway? Spend more time examining the beam in your own eye and less time pointing at what you perceive to be the speck in someone else's. I'd be interested in knowing why guys like you are so legalistic on this issue; is it because you have an ex-wife who ran out on you with the pool boy? Because I cannot fathom why anyone would be so graceless on this. Divorce (and re marriage) is not an un-pardonable sin.

Crab Grass

March 01, 2014  5:27pm

Possibly one group treated even worse than divorced people by Christians and churches are never married adults who are over the age of 30. We are either totally ignored - unlike the divorced, who get church sponsored "divorce recovery" or "single again" classes - or we are suspected of being bimbos, man stealers, selfish, weird, or homosexual. Widows and widowers are also ignored by most Christians/churches.

lastblast Seven

March 01, 2014  8:56am

Let me also add this: the early church saw divorce as nothing more than separation of bed/board----the same thing Paul teaches in I Cor. 7:10-11, which he made very clear is a command from The Lord (the ONLY options for one who departs from their original spouse is: to remain UNMARRIED OR be reconciled to your husband). NEVER did Paul ever give a provision for a woman to find another husband. He wouldn't have, as it is sin.

lastblast Seven

March 01, 2014  8:34am

It is a very sad thing that this article is found in CT due to the fact it is scripturally void in it's presentation of "truth". There is a very good reason why there is a stigma associated with divorce in the Christian Church. Jesus and Paul both make it very clear that divorce does not destroy, annul, void, etc the One Flesh Union created by Jesus -------for life. That is why, even in the case of adultery, we see in the scriptures a woman is NEVER free to marry another before the death of her husband (see Rom 7:2-3, I Cor. 7:39, Herod/Herodias/Philip, Mt. 5:32, 19:9, Lk16:18). For those who state there is "grace" for those who disobey: Is there EVER grace to continue in adultery? Paul said, "God Forbid!". Jesus labelled remarriage: ADULTERY (to have UNLAWFUL relations with one who is NOT your spouse). One can't be married AND committing adultery with that person. The early church did not view remarriage as a valid union,due to God's Word, and God's Word has not changed.

Lynn Jordan

March 01, 2014  8:09am

To Winnie S.: I agree that a woman must separate (not divorce) from the husband if there is physical violent abuse for hers and the children's protection. However, that does not give her the license to remarry. Scriptures state that we are to stay single or be reconciled. Remarriage while covenant spouse is alive is adultery according to God's Word.

Winnie S.

March 01, 2014  7:07am

It is important to realize that violence and abuse are not usually considered biblical reasons for divorce. But that doesn't mean they are not valid reasons for divorce. A woman should leave someone who is routinely violent and it is better for her and her children if she marries a kind man to be a father in her home.

Lynn Jordan

March 01, 2014  5:24am

To Dan from Ga and Janet Walker: The world is so conditioned to accepting divorce and remarriage that they can't/refuse to see the truth. Jesus told the disciples remarriage was adultery and they were so shocked that they said it was better to never marry at all. He said not everyone will be able to receive this. John the Baptist lost his head over divorce and remarriage. All the early church fathers said remarriage is adultery and they must leave. Why are you ignoring the 8 scriptures where it states remarriage is adultery? God grants grace in a divorce and remarriage situation when a person repents of their sin to God and to others, and forsakes the adulterous remarriage relationship. Jesus called remarriage sin. Therefore as Christians we do not have authority to grant a remarried couple grace to continue to live together. To grant grace to a remarried couple is rebellion against God. In granting grace, the church sets itself up as equal with God.

Janet Walker

February 28, 2014  11:25pm

Lynn. Wow, you are so off base that it's hard to take you seriously. I guess that's what prompts articles like this one, though. The article was spot-on.

Lynn Jordan

February 28, 2014  10:32pm

To Dan from Georgia: Repent means to confess the sin and give up the sin. Repent does not mean confess the sin and continue living in sin. If God says remarriage is adultery, then what does one have to do to correct the sin? The answer is repent by confessing and giving up the marriage God calls adulterous. That adulterous marriage is nothing more than legalized adultery. God doesn't recognize it and the Bible does say that adulterers will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Unfortunately, we have to use the worldly court system to help correct that mistake. Would you tell someone that divorced a straight spouse and married a homosexual person the same thing, not to divorce? No, you would tell them they need to divorce, because God sees their marriage as sin. They would have to repent by confessing and giving up the marriage. The grace you are referring to is nothing more than Greasy Grace. That's why the church is in the mess that it is in today. marriagedivorce.com

Lynn Jordan

February 28, 2014  4:10pm

Responding to Vin Chenz: When two people who have never married before get married, they are married for life until death. Remarriage to someone other than your original spouse (still living) is adultery. There are 8 scriptures that state so. There are no acceptable allowances for divorce, except for fornication (sex before marriage) . Remarriage is only allowed upon the death of of the original spouse, but only to someone that has never been married before or lost an original spouse to death. See Scriptures: Luke 16:18, Mark 10:11-12, Romans 7:2-3, 1 Corinthians 7:10-11, 1 Corinthians 7:39, Matthew 5:31-32, Matthew 19:9-12 It is a very difficult road to travel when your covenant spouse has left/divorced you against your will and you are left alone. However, this is the time to learn to stand at the gap for your spouse and your marriage. God wants our holiness, not our happiness. Those in remarriages that God calls adulterous need to repent and give up that remarriage.

Vin Chenz

February 28, 2014  3:44pm

Gabrielle, are you saying a Christian woman whose husband cheats on her and leaves her should not be allowed to remarry? Ive known quite a few who got married very young and this very thing happened. So for the rest of their lives, they must live alone with no man in their lives because if they do marry, they are committing adultery? Is that your take on it?

vicki easley

February 28, 2014  3:31pm

A excellent article. I was married to someone who did not keep his marriage vows for 28 1/2 years. I was made to feel very guilty and the one that caused the problems. Marriage is not easy when there is more than just 2 people in the marriage like the parents. I am lucky that now I dont have that issue and the only third person in my new relationship is God. And God comes first then it is our relationship and we pray/ discuss everything.

Bob Bobo

February 28, 2014  1:05pm

So well said.

Justin Lambert

February 28, 2014  12:39pm

Thank you. Many times when my Christian peers learn parents separated later in life, they must know if it was 'Biblical" before the conversation can commence. My parents had a long marriage with complicated problems and I am not going to sell either parent out to satiate the vapid judgement of my peers. When grace abounds divorced people are free to tell their story, but NO ONE WINS when the church feels entitled to voyeurism .

Janet Walker

February 28, 2014  9:56am

I highly doubt that after someone has been married 20 plus years that the divorce was a whim on the part of the person filing unless they decided to run off with someone else.

Joe Pote

February 28, 2014  8:58am

An excellent article on a very important topic! Thank you for publishing it!

and Fola Georgewill

February 28, 2014  7:41am

The writer does not condone abuse in the marriage. As I understand it that would be the breaking of covenant. Of course the next question would be what would be threshold of irreparable damage to the covenant. Like the writer says divorce is the consequence of broken covenant or sin. God hates sin. The body of Christ of which many of us are a part need to address restoration and healing for casualty of broken covenant and ultimately divorce. I also agree with the writer that it does not always take two to wreck a marriage.

Paul Lundquist

February 27, 2014  11:22pm

Agreed, David J. The article needs a re-write. Churches that refuse to admonish and hold accountable people who have destroyed their spouses should rethink their policy. To receive a marital villain graciously and ask no questions for fear of making him feel bad is to heap more pain on the victim and to encourage the perpetrator to do it all over again to somebody else. Grace without accountability is enablement. In my case, after 20 years of marriage, my wife renounced her faith, divorced me without cause and against my will, and left me as a single dad in order to go pursue a series of lesbian relationships. I doubt that she would darken the door of any church today. But if she did, it would be much to her spiritual good (and the church's credit) if the people there provoked her conscience and helped her to feel guilty.

Jenny Roca

February 27, 2014  6:00pm

A woman, friend of mine, was beaten almost to death with a hammer, in front of the 6 children. She divorced her husband to protect not only her life but to protect the lives of the children. As a result, the priest denied her the holly communion. The priest said that the woman has to choose between protecting her own life and receiving the holly communion. And that, because all-male church teaching , considers that the woman has to "promote" the potential crime of her husband.... I wonder if a priest is beaten in front of his children, what would he do.....

David J

February 27, 2014  5:57pm

What a muddle this article is. Much of it distinguishes between biblical divorces and unbiblical divorces, but the conclusion seems to be that the church shouldn't make any divorcee feel guilty, including the divorcee who initiated the divorce without a biblical basis. My wife of 29+ years divorced me, over my objection, without a biblical basis. In our legal system, there was absolutely nothing I could do to prevent it. So I do not and need not feel guilty in any church I attend. On the other hand, any church that allows her to attend without confronting the sin of her divorce (and the compounding sin of her remarriage) isn't doing its job.

Gabrielle LeBlanc

February 27, 2014  5:48pm

Divorce isn't the problem- it's REMARRIAGE AFTER DIVORCE that is! Because then one is committing adultery. A failed marriage is not a sin in itself, so why would Church people get all offended if a Christian's only offense is to be abandoned by their spouse?!?!

Barbara Burke

February 27, 2014  5:22pm

Thirty four years of was quite enough; I should have divorced him when I found out about all his underage nude dancer, heroin addictive girlfriends of whom he took my paychecks and my parents money to "keep." From June 1, 1975, I surrendered my paychecks to him to pay bills and when I went to work (sometimes THREE JOBS) he had a "field day." He left me, and my 95 year old mother destitute. My late father was a Lutheran Pastor who "back in the day" made no more than $10,000 a year... so he freely took my parents savings. My mother needs to be in a nursing home and she should have easily been able to live out the remainder of her life, not in want, but he took EVERYTHING. My second husband (who married for the first time, days before his 51st birthday) is Catholic and I spoke with one of their church lawyers and he said if anyone had a right to a church "annulment" -- I can't have communion with him, so he won't go; I feel horrible as we weren't married in the church but a civil ceremony

Jamie Calloway-Hanauer

February 27, 2014  5:00pm

Such a needed article, Bronwyn! What a blessing you are to those who need this good word.

Dan Smedra

February 27, 2014  3:16pm

It is a scandal and serious tragedy how many American evangelical leaders have attacked the superb research and scholarship of Dr. David Instone-Brewer and his works. Also see: Divorce and Remarriage in the Bible - The Social and Literary Context, Eerdmans, 2002. "People who claim to be serious about the Bible often expend a lot of energy talking about how it needs to be interpreted in context--but then turn around and filter it through their own traditions. The context for correctly understanding the Bible is not the Church Fathers. Biblical theology neither began nor ended with Augustine. It is also not the Roman Catholic Church, the Reformation, or modern evangelicalism. Rather, the correct context for interpreting the Bible is the context in which it was produced--the ancient Near East and Mediterranean." Michael Heiser

Julie DEAN

February 27, 2014  1:33pm

This article is truly a blessing. I think I may finally get over the guilt of being a divorcee. I had stayed as long as I could, but his affairs never stopped. My kids are how I finally found the strength to leave.

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

Not All Vulnerability Is Brave

We don’t have to expose our deepest secrets with every speech and blog post.

What We're Reading